Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks 10:55 - Aug 15 with 1370 viewsitfcjoe

GK (2+1) - Walton, Hladky, Slicker*
RB (2) - Clarke, Donacien
LB (2) - Davis, Leigh
CB (3+1) - Edmundson, Woolfenden, Burgess, Baggott*
CM (5+1) - Morsy, Evans, Ball, Luongo, Taylor, Humphreys*
W/AM (7) - Burns, Chaplin, Harness, Jackson, Aluko, Broadhead, Hutchinson
ST (2) - Ladapo, Hirst
Total (23+2)

Out on Loan (5) - Ahadme, El Mizouni, Ndaba, Camara, Yengi

Likely leaving - Permanent or loan (2) - Edwards, Hayes

So effectively we have 2 spots in the squad now Edwards is presumably off.

Ashton spoke of 2-3 more - feels like there are gaps in the squad in:

CB - The obvious area of need, and clearly one we are targetting

AM/W - The ongoing pursuit of Rak-Sakyi makes you think that we want one more there

Striker - We effectively have 2 number 9s and use both in each match so feels one short there. If Hirst were to be injured we'd look a long way off things which isn't the case in other areas of the squad.

Wonder if there are other areas like CM that will be looked at, Evans doesn't seem a great fit for the squad and maybe more of a mobile body to go in there will be helpful. Ball's versatility will mean he has an important role in the squad

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:04 - Aug 15 with 1284 viewsxrayspecs

I think that is pretty much spot on Joe.

A LCB and FW, possibly someone who can play multiple attacking positions appear to be the most obvious gaps in the squad. JRS to me would be the nice to have after the other two positions are filled, and we would need to move someone else on if we were to sign three players..

We can put to bed the notion that Jackson or Harness will be moved on this window, KM clearly rates them both and they gave us really good options from the bench on Saturday. Ball is an experienced and established Championship player, so we would be mad to get rid of him. You would only sell Freddie if we were bringing in two forwards, which I do not see.

If we were to sign a third senior player, then Evans (who slows the game down too much for KM style) and possibly Edmundson could be those most likely to miss out on the 25 man squad.
Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:12 - Aug 15 with 1248 viewsnodge_blue

The Sunderland and then Stoke games gave me different perspectives on our shortfalls.

The trouble with getting another No 9 is that are they going to play in front of Hirst? Id say not. And therefore getting someone in, of quality, to be on th bench probably isn't attractive to the player or the loaning club. We really could do with a good youngster. With one of the Yengi brothers at Portsmouth doing well, it did make me wonder if our version (on loan in Sweden?) might have been worth benching.

Id still take someone like Bishop out of Portsmouth, but you get the feeling we were looking more at PL forwards prepared to drop down.

I think Burns needs some serious competition. But maybe that is Hutchison? But I think he looks more like an impact sub for the time being rather than a starter.

I think the CBs may be ok as they are. Keep Baggott. I don't think you could say either Woolf or Burgess have looked anything but comfortable so far. And Edmundson maybe looked to be getting back to form in the cup.

Id only bring in a body if they were at a Broadhead level. You can see that it's more of a struggle in this division to do that. And with some clubs now selling players for big transfers fees we may be getting priced out with their spending power.

I wouldn't be that upset if we went with what we have plus maybe a good PL loan player. And then see where we are come the winter window. This idea that deals get done easier in the summer doesn't always seem to be true.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:18 - Aug 15 with 1208 viewsITFCBlues

If we did bring in 4 as you've suggested, would mean 2 more to leave then?

I can see Evans leaving which would make sense. I really like him as a player, but his mobility is certainly an issue & he's not got on the pitch in the two league games thus far. Who do you think is the potential other player? Aluko seems more strange by the day....Can't see him getting any game time at all...Didn't even start the cup game!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:29 - Aug 15 with 1139 viewsGuthrum

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:12 - Aug 15 by nodge_blue

The Sunderland and then Stoke games gave me different perspectives on our shortfalls.

The trouble with getting another No 9 is that are they going to play in front of Hirst? Id say not. And therefore getting someone in, of quality, to be on th bench probably isn't attractive to the player or the loaning club. We really could do with a good youngster. With one of the Yengi brothers at Portsmouth doing well, it did make me wonder if our version (on loan in Sweden?) might have been worth benching.

Id still take someone like Bishop out of Portsmouth, but you get the feeling we were looking more at PL forwards prepared to drop down.

I think Burns needs some serious competition. But maybe that is Hutchison? But I think he looks more like an impact sub for the time being rather than a starter.

I think the CBs may be ok as they are. Keep Baggott. I don't think you could say either Woolf or Burgess have looked anything but comfortable so far. And Edmundson maybe looked to be getting back to form in the cup.

Id only bring in a body if they were at a Broadhead level. You can see that it's more of a struggle in this division to do that. And with some clubs now selling players for big transfers fees we may be getting priced out with their spending power.

I wouldn't be that upset if we went with what we have plus maybe a good PL loan player. And then see where we are come the winter window. This idea that deals get done easier in the summer doesn't always seem to be true.

Given the lack of FFP headroom and current inflated prices, I feel it might be better to keep some of our funds in reserve until we know the lie of the land a bit better - particularly who might become long-term injured or lose form, but also how strong our existing squad really is. Then adjust in January having had a few more months to select and court targets (or to continue our pursuit of existing ones).

Play it more like last season than the traditional promotion-and-recruit model.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:32 - Aug 15 with 1123 viewsyorkshireblue

Is Hayes still likely to leave given Walton's injury?
Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:41 - Aug 15 with 1075 viewsMookamoo

I agree that Evans isn't a great fit, but I'm not sure who we would sell him to. He has been on and off the treatment table too much to be of much value. We'd be asking someone, most likely a L1 club to take a punt on him and then assume Evans will want to move back down a division. If we did bring someone else in, then where do they sit in the pecking order? Taylor will be wanting a starting spot alongside Morsy soon, which would possibly demote Luongo behind any new boy. Evans isn't great, but there is a balance there with those 4 plus Ball to cover Morsy's inevitable card limit suspension.

I see 2 coming in. Cover for the CBs, especially if Clarke is struggling and an AM. TJJ keeps getting mentioned which is a distinct possibility if he is fit. He can also cover the 3rd striker spot with Jackson, who showed he is a viable cover option. If not TJJ, then someone similar - an AM/ST

If we are to spend big on an Armstrong style striker, then that would be exciting, but it would throw a little grenade into what is a settled squad. If the profile and output of anyone new warrants that, then so be it, but I'm not sure thats the way we're wanting to go.
Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:57 - Aug 15 with 1006 viewsDarth_Koont

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 11:41 - Aug 15 by Mookamoo

I agree that Evans isn't a great fit, but I'm not sure who we would sell him to. He has been on and off the treatment table too much to be of much value. We'd be asking someone, most likely a L1 club to take a punt on him and then assume Evans will want to move back down a division. If we did bring someone else in, then where do they sit in the pecking order? Taylor will be wanting a starting spot alongside Morsy soon, which would possibly demote Luongo behind any new boy. Evans isn't great, but there is a balance there with those 4 plus Ball to cover Morsy's inevitable card limit suspension.

I see 2 coming in. Cover for the CBs, especially if Clarke is struggling and an AM. TJJ keeps getting mentioned which is a distinct possibility if he is fit. He can also cover the 3rd striker spot with Jackson, who showed he is a viable cover option. If not TJJ, then someone similar - an AM/ST

If we are to spend big on an Armstrong style striker, then that would be exciting, but it would throw a little grenade into what is a settled squad. If the profile and output of anyone new warrants that, then so be it, but I'm not sure thats the way we're wanting to go.

Yes, I was also thinking that someone like TJJ who can play AM/ST would be ideal.

And as you pointed out with Jackson clearly seen as cover and another option through the middle, it shows that McKenna isn’t wedded to a target man type of striker. Whoever plays, their movement and ability to stretch defences and create space for the players behind is still more important for the team than back-to-goal hold-up play or winning headers.

Pronouns: He/Him

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 12:02 - Aug 15 with 993 viewsLankHenners

I'd quite happily see Evans shifted out for someone else who has a bit more dynamism about them, can't see him playing much anyway really as Morsy and Luongo have started this season like they finished the last one, Taylor is clearly here to play a fair amount and Ball is the obvious choice off the bench if we need a physical reinforcement in there.

LCB is clearly a priority, despite McKenna's interesting comments re: Baggott, wouldn't surprise me if we ended up getting Cathcart in (though would be a tacit admission we haven't managed to get in our top targets).

Despite them impressing off the bench on Saturday I think we're kidding ourselves if we think we can rely on Harness and Jackson to play any more significant roles than those sorts of cameos when specific game situations allow them. Assume we'll want Hutchinson to get up to speed to be the main AM replacement and even start games and no surprise we're after someone like Rak-Sakyi.

A TJJ figure fits the bill quite nicely as he's a bit of a hybrid 9/10 - saying this with no ITK emphasis, reckon we might be holding out to see if we can get someone similar who doesn't carry the same injury risk but will return to him if we don't feel we can find that player out there before the window's done.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 12:13 - Aug 15 with 925 viewsthe_toff

I would happily see Evans, Edwards and Ladapo move on if we can use the funds towards a new central defender and forward.

Fewer and better for me I think, from where we are now. Humphreys doesn't count towards the quota and I would rather he was given the chance ahead of Evans if needed. Ball and Jackson's versatility is handy.
Squad as it stands - not done an update for a couple of weeks on 12:29 - Aug 15 with 850 viewstextbackup

I’d still like a ‘fox in the box’ I know we don’t necessarily play like that, but it would be a nice option

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024