Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We really need to improve educational policy in this country 09:50 - Jan 10 with 1352 viewsGuthrum

Unfortunately, these are the same people who are designing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/10/shift-from-15-minute-cities-in-e

Turning schools from places where children learn stuff to exam passing machines for the benefit of stats and league tables has been one of the greatest evils of recent decades. Not to mention the damage to teachers' morale.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 11:33 - Jan 10 with 1225 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I agree 100% .They have been able to pass the tests but it's left a large amount of youngsters, even with degrees, unemployable as well. You have people leaving school and Uni without the most basic of skills, and it is getting worse year on year with employers having to structure their own training around the lack of skills these kids are leaving education with. They have been totally let down by our system.

Also verbal communication with people coming into our business under 20 is terrible, the lack of social development is alarming and that's due to social media. We have to start from the ground up with people, and it costs business's like ours a fortune.
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 11:38 - Jan 10 with 1212 viewsKeno

Very true Guffers

Although numerary seems to be taught well nowadays. In a recent survey 35% of people thought there were problems in this area while the other 75% say they were happy

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:03 - Jan 10 with 1159 viewsEdwardStone

And despite the various reforms, league tables etc

Still 50% of schools are below average

It's a disgrace
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:06 - Jan 10 with 1138 viewsCotty

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:03 - Jan 10 by EdwardStone

And despite the various reforms, league tables etc

Still 50% of schools are below average

It's a disgrace

Ha, Gove (or another Tory goon?) did actually say something along these lines once didn't he?
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:08 - Jan 10 with 1132 viewsCotty

My 6 year old knows much more about grammar than I do. At least, the vocabulary around it at any rate. What a complete waste of time.
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:15 - Jan 10 with 1086 viewsNthQldITFC

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:08 - Jan 10 by Cotty

My 6 year old knows much more about grammar than I do. At least, the vocabulary around it at any rate. What a complete waste of time.

Well it's true that many children spend a lot of time with their grandparents these days, so not really a surprise that your 6 year old knows more about her than you do.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:25 - Jan 10 with 1054 viewsRyorry

Heard a radio report this morning saying that less well off uk households ((20% iirc) either don’t have the broadband capacity for kids to finish assignments - or even exams - online; and/or the ability to give their kids the devices to do them or their homework on.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 15:33 - Jan 10 with 920 viewsBlueBadger

And speaking of Tories and the inability to think critically.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 15:58 - Jan 10 with 887 viewscbower

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:25 - Jan 10 by Ryorry

Heard a radio report this morning saying that less well off uk households ((20% iirc) either don’t have the broadband capacity for kids to finish assignments - or even exams - online; and/or the ability to give their kids the devices to do them or their homework on.

Where I teach there is an almost evangelical insistence that homework is set on line, often using ready made programmes that are self marking. I have long arued against it myself as whilst most do have internet access, the vast majority is through their phone. Completing homework on such a tiny screen is ridiculous. The more affluent have their laptops and tablets so, as usual, they're ok!

bluescouser

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 16:44 - Jan 10 with 824 viewsiamatractorboy

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 11:33 - Jan 10 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I agree 100% .They have been able to pass the tests but it's left a large amount of youngsters, even with degrees, unemployable as well. You have people leaving school and Uni without the most basic of skills, and it is getting worse year on year with employers having to structure their own training around the lack of skills these kids are leaving education with. They have been totally let down by our system.

Also verbal communication with people coming into our business under 20 is terrible, the lack of social development is alarming and that's due to social media. We have to start from the ground up with people, and it costs business's like ours a fortune.

*businesses

(Sorry, given the context, I couldn't resist!!)
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 16:48 - Jan 10 with 817 viewsDJR

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 15:58 - Jan 10 by cbower

Where I teach there is an almost evangelical insistence that homework is set on line, often using ready made programmes that are self marking. I have long arued against it myself as whilst most do have internet access, the vast majority is through their phone. Completing homework on such a tiny screen is ridiculous. The more affluent have their laptops and tablets so, as usual, they're ok!

The problem with the primary education system that Gove put in place, given what my daughter who has just started as a teacher tells me, is that kids are expected to run before they can walk.

Of course, the brightest will have no problem with running, the middle will be able to jog, but the disadvantaged struggle to walk and are left behind from an early age and never catch up.

And the pandemic has made things much worse for those who don't have parents who had the time or ability and resources to step up to the plate when schools were off. There are also severe issues with social norms and the like for those entering primary school because they have missed a good chunk of pre-school but that appears to be an issue that affects all children.
[Post edited 10 Jan 17:42]
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 16:49 - Jan 10 with 806 viewsHelp

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 11:38 - Jan 10 by Keno

Very true Guffers

Although numerary seems to be taught well nowadays. In a recent survey 35% of people thought there were problems in this area while the other 75% say they were happy

Numeracy?
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 16:51 - Jan 10 with 796 viewsHelp

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 12:15 - Jan 10 by NthQldITFC

Well it's true that many children spend a lot of time with their grandparents these days, so not really a surprise that your 6 year old knows more about her than you do.

LOL
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 17:21 - Jan 10 with 764 viewsmylittletown

The decision by Gove and his fool of an assistant, Dominic Cummings, to scrap Building Schools for the Future, as soon as the Tories got into power in 2010 was idiotic, even by the dim witted standards of this government
[Post edited 10 Jan 23:15]
We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 17:30 - Jan 10 with 733 viewsfactual_blue

We really need to improve educational policy in this country on 11:38 - Jan 10 by Keno

Very true Guffers

The other 10% said 'don't know'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024