Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lovely of Leif 19:46 - Jan 13 with 2137 viewsWonnorCickhamm

To come back out after his interview and give the crowd his appreciation.

Really hope the waves were a thank you and not a goodbye.

Poll: When Walton is fit, who would you start?

Lovely of Leif on 19:49 - Jan 13 with 2083 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don’t say that! We need to keep him to go up. It’s as simple as that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lovely of Leif on 19:56 - Jan 13 with 2017 viewsVegtablue

WHAT 😱
Lovely of Leif on 19:58 - Jan 13 with 1985 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Ashton and McKenna have already said the priority is keeping the side together.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Lovely of Leif on 20:02 - Jan 13 with 1944 viewsWestSussexBlue

😳😳😳
Lovely of Leif on 20:03 - Jan 13 with 1908 viewsRyorry

Lovely of Leif on 19:56 - Jan 13 by Vegtablue

WHAT 😱

Bit of a shock to me too, but now I think about it, I suppose offers are more likely than not - very hard to find players like him down the left, and I suppose if a Prem side opened their wallets to make a big offer …

Hope myself and the OP are wrong, obvs.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Lovely of Leif on 20:09 - Jan 13 with 1817 viewsRyorry

Lovely of Leif on 19:58 - Jan 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

Ashton and McKenna have already said the priority is keeping the side together.

Hadn’t heard that, phew, thanks, hope they stick to it - could be far more profitable to keep him than sell him, even for a very large wedge.

Lovely of Leif on 20:09 - Jan 13 with 1815 viewssuffolkpoker

Anything over £20m would to big to turn down. I would even drive him there my self.
I personally think he stays

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Lovely of Leif on 20:13 - Jan 13 with 1785 viewsVegtablue

Lovely of Leif on 20:03 - Jan 13 by Ryorry

Bit of a shock to me too, but now I think about it, I suppose offers are more likely than not - very hard to find players like him down the left, and I suppose if a Prem side opened their wallets to make a big offer …

Hope myself and the OP are wrong, obvs.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself Ryorry! Same if we lost Chappers, Kieran deserves one chance before we break up the gang 🥲
Login to get fewer ads

Lovely of Leif on 20:15 - Jan 13 with 1733 viewsVegtablue

Lovely of Leif on 20:09 - Jan 13 by suffolkpoker

Anything over £20m would to big to turn down. I would even drive him there my self.

I'd have no faith in us investing it sensibly in January though. Maybe a big pot of money and a loan back until the summer.
Lovely of Leif on 20:16 - Jan 13 with 1696 viewsKentish_Tractor

There can't be any acceptable offers already on the table or he wouldn't have played tonight which is a good sign.

We will have to see if any materialise before the end of the window - but I bet some Premier league clubs will probably have made tentative enquiries already.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Lovely of Leif on 20:17 - Jan 13 with 1680 viewsRyorry

Lovely of Leif on 20:13 - Jan 13 by Vegtablue

I wouldn't know what to do with myself Ryorry! Same if we lost Chappers, Kieran deserves one chance before we break up the gang 🥲

Said on another thread earlier (Swanners I think) that I think he’s even more irreplaceable than Hirst in our side.

Lovely of Leif on 20:21 - Jan 13 with 1607 viewsJ2BLUE

Wouldn't make any sense for it to have been a goodbye.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lovely of Leif on 20:22 - Jan 13 with 1595 viewsVegtablue

He's a Geordie boy and "Toon mad" I've been told, so hopefully he just feeling the passion all the more because of this.
Lovely of Leif on 20:24 - Jan 13 with 1568 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Lovely of Leif on 20:21 - Jan 13 by J2BLUE

Wouldn't make any sense for it to have been a goodbye.

He also said, when interviewed by Sky, "We love playing here".
Suspect coming out to applaud and wave was more to do with that and the fact he hadn't been able to owing to media duties.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Lovely of Leif on 21:27 - Jan 13 with 1321 viewsbackwaywhen

Almost every player does the same after an interview…..even that little scrote from Nodge done it at Hull last night to the few that were still inside the ground …….nothing to see here .
Lovely of Leif on 21:29 - Jan 13 with 1291 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Lovely of Leif on 20:15 - Jan 13 by Vegtablue

I'd have no faith in us investing it sensibly in January though. Maybe a big pot of money and a loan back until the summer.

Even though we invested brilliantly in January 23?
Lovely of Leif on 21:43 - Jan 13 with 1192 viewsVegtablue

Lovely of Leif on 21:29 - Jan 13 by ArnoldMoorhen

Even though we invested brilliantly in January 23?

January is a very tough time to find value Arnold when you've had months to prepare your budget, let alone when your best player leaves halfway or two-thirds of the way through the window. Last year was also made easier by the reality that L1 clubs couldn't compete with our financial power, so it was a matter of identifying Championship-level players who would be willing to drop down and who weren't fancied by the division above. Their loss, our gain. Now, we're surrounded by clubs who can spend £5m on a player without flinching and most are trying to bolster their squads for the push.

Not for me thank you very much, let's keep and build this window.
Lovely of Leif on 21:51 - Jan 13 with 1139 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Lovely of Leif on 21:43 - Jan 13 by Vegtablue

January is a very tough time to find value Arnold when you've had months to prepare your budget, let alone when your best player leaves halfway or two-thirds of the way through the window. Last year was also made easier by the reality that L1 clubs couldn't compete with our financial power, so it was a matter of identifying Championship-level players who would be willing to drop down and who weren't fancied by the division above. Their loss, our gain. Now, we're surrounded by clubs who can spend £5m on a player without flinching and most are trying to bolster their squads for the push.

Not for me thank you very much, let's keep and build this window.

The players we brought in in the January 23 window made the difference: compare our PPG before and after Luongo arrived.

You are right that, on average, there is better value to be found in the Summer, but when a team is extremely well positioned, with one of the most coveted young managers in the country, the choice is between backing his judgement, hoping that makes the difference, and hopefully keeping him, and refusing to back him from a position of strength and inviting him to see his future elsewhere.

I am happy with the business done so far this window, and hope that the scouting team and Kieran can agree on a Centre Forward, and that Ashton is able to get him through the door.

If that happens, I trust McKenna and co to have identified the best possible realistic target, based on what I have seen from them before.
Lovely of Leif on 21:57 - Jan 13 with 1094 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Lovely of Leif on 20:09 - Jan 13 by suffolkpoker

£20m is chicken feed compared to >£100m of PL TV money. The last few games have shown how we’d struggle without his creativity. Selling in this window just wouldn’t make sense. In the summer if we don’t go up then he’ll get sold and we can bring in 3 or 4 very good players.
Lovely of Leif on 22:05 - Jan 13 with 1027 viewsVegtablue

Lovely of Leif on 21:51 - Jan 13 by ArnoldMoorhen

The players we brought in in the January 23 window made the difference: compare our PPG before and after Luongo arrived.

You are right that, on average, there is better value to be found in the Summer, but when a team is extremely well positioned, with one of the most coveted young managers in the country, the choice is between backing his judgement, hoping that makes the difference, and hopefully keeping him, and refusing to back him from a position of strength and inviting him to see his future elsewhere.

I am happy with the business done so far this window, and hope that the scouting team and Kieran can agree on a Centre Forward, and that Ashton is able to get him through the door.

If that happens, I trust McKenna and co to have identified the best possible realistic target, based on what I have seen from them before.

All good stuff Arnold; a little tangential I think though to the thrust of my point. How many beers have you had tonight? 😅 January's influx was vital last season. It propelled us forwards because it built on what we had. If we'd needed to sell Morsy and Chappers to fund it, I'm not convinced the impact would have been as positive.

Personally, I consider Leif to be a vital part of the jigsaw and backing Kieran this season includes keeping our star players together. I understand there are times when the offer is simply too good to ignore, and I'd hope McKenna would be cognizant of this and not feel as though the carpet was being yanked from beneath him. I'm not convinced we'd be able to fill such a seismic hole in two weeks however such that we finished the window stronger than when we started, were we to lose Leif next week. Perhaps I'm rating the man too highly but I don't believe I am.
Lovely of Leif on 22:05 - Jan 13 with 1025 viewsVic

Lovely of Leif on 20:15 - Jan 13 by Vegtablue

I don’t think you meant to say what you said here did you?

Did you mean that you don’t think we’ll be able to buy the quality we need in January?

I hope so, because that’s very different to saying that you haven’t got faith in us investing wisely. The latter implies we have a record of bad purchases, when actually, apart from the mad summer with Cookie, our purchases since Gamechanger came in have been pretty solid.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Lovely of Leif on 22:10 - Jan 13 with 958 viewsVegtablue

Lovely of Leif on 22:05 - Jan 13 by Vic

I don’t think you meant to say what you said here did you?

Did you mean that you don’t think we’ll be able to buy the quality we need in January?

I hope so, because that’s very different to saying that you haven’t got faith in us investing wisely. The latter implies we have a record of bad purchases, when actually, apart from the mad summer with Cookie, our purchases since Gamechanger came in have been pretty solid.

Sorry, to clarify: I don't believe there is time left in January for us to receive a Leif windfall and finish the transfer window stronger in his absence. I imagine there would be onus on us to try to achieve this, but it would be a pressure-cooker 1-2 weeks and I don't honestly think we'd achieve it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024