Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Floating Voters 15:35 - May 4 with 5695 viewsGeoffSentence

How can people change position from labour to conservative from one election to the next?
They are so diametrically opposed that it seems completely bizarre to me. I can understand say switching from labour to Greens say, or from either to UKIP if the EU is the biggest issue that worries them to switch from thinking "I believe in good public services and am prepared to pay higher tax for them" ** to "I want lower taxes and am prepared to accept poorer public services as the cost" ** seems completely odd to me.

** party outlooks grossly simplified for brevity.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Floating Voters on 15:38 - May 4 with 2976 viewsartsbossbeard

I don't understand floating voters for this very reason but accept that there are plenty out there. All a bit weird if you ask me.

I'll only ever vote for one party and would rather chop of my old chap than vote for the other.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Floating Voters on 15:40 - May 4 with 2955 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because blindly supporting the same group ignoring their recent policies and/or current leader as though they are your football team isn't the way to vote.

In my opinion.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Floating Voters on 15:42 - May 4 with 2936 viewshype313

The parties have dramatically changed though so it's easier for people to not be so partisan, the current Tory party is a million miles away from traditional conservatism, look at the difference between Labour in the past 20 years.

Younger voters are not so entrenched/tribal like the older generation, maybe because it's easier to see party policies and more MP's are in the public eye.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Floating Voters on 15:45 - May 4 with 2918 viewsGeoffSentence

Floating Voters on 15:40 - May 4 by The_Romford_Blue

Because blindly supporting the same group ignoring their recent policies and/or current leader as though they are your football team isn't the way to vote.

In my opinion.

Yeah, that's fine, and I can understand switching between parties with ideas that overlap or are close, but to flip back and forth between two parties whose ideas are completely different just says to me that you haven't got a clue.

Floating Voters on 15:50 - May 4 with 2896 viewsGavTWTD

I think it's because of *how* you vote.

Do you vote for:
a) the leader - ie the person you want to become prime minister.
b) the policies of the party
c) local issues and your local candidate that will/has done most for your area
d) tactically - to prevent someone else from becoming leader/local MP

Depending on whether you vote a) b) c) or d) will dictate who you vote for each time, and may result to you being a floater if not b).

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Floating Voters on 15:50 - May 4 with 2890 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Floating Voters on 15:45 - May 4 by GeoffSentence

Yeah, that's fine, and I can understand switching between parties with ideas that overlap or are close, but to flip back and forth between two parties whose ideas are completely different just says to me that you haven't got a clue.

Or that the Political Parties haven't got a clue..
Floating Voters on 15:52 - May 4 with 2873 viewsGlasgowBlue

Floating Voters on 15:45 - May 4 by GeoffSentence

Most people, no matter how socially conscious they are, want to know that they are going to be able to feed the family and pay their bills.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Floating Voters on 16:04 - May 4 with 2825 viewsGeoffSentence

Floating Voters on 15:52 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Most people, no matter how socially conscious they are, want to know that they are going to be able to feed the family and pay their bills.

Maybe, but that doesn't explain why in 2015 they think that one approach will be the one to provide all that and in 2017 the complete opposite approach is the one they favour, even if they think that previous choice is not up to much.

Login to get fewer ads

Floating Voters on 16:07 - May 4 with 2805 viewsGlasgowBlue

Floating Voters on 16:04 - May 4 by GeoffSentence

Maybe, but that doesn't explain why in 2015 they think that one approach will be the one to provide all that and in 2017 the complete opposite approach is the one they favour, even if they think that previous choice is not up to much.

Because Ed Miliband, for all of his faults, had more credibility than Corbyn.

Iron Lion Zion

Floating Voters on 16:14 - May 4 with 2776 viewsGeoffSentence

Floating Voters on 16:07 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Because Ed Miliband, for all of his faults, had more credibility than Corbyn.

In which case it would make sense to switch vote to someone else but with a closer political outlook, not perform a complete volte face.

I guess we can learn from this that actually, party policies are not the main reason for voting a particular way for some people. And in fact for some voters they probably don't have much impact at all.

Floating Voters on 16:15 - May 4 with 2770 viewsJ2BLUE

'They are so diametrically opposed'

They are now. Remember the Labour voters on here upset that Labour had abandoned the middle ground? I don't think the current situation has always been the case.

Brexit is also blurring lines. For some leave voters getting out of the EU is all that matters. For me, other issues are more important than Brexit so i'm voting Labour.
[Post edited 4 May 2017 16:15]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Floating Voters on 16:16 - May 4 with 2758 viewsGlasgowBlue

Floating Voters on 16:15 - May 4 by J2BLUE

They are now. Remember the Labour voters on here upset that Labour had abandoned the middle ground? I don't think the current situation has always been the case.

Brexit is also blurring lines. For some leave voters getting out of the EU is all that matters. For me, other issues are more important than Brexit so i'm voting Labour.

I thought you were voting Labour because you wanted a better opposition. Not a Labour government?

Did you check out Corbyn's rap sheet from an independent source yet?

Iron Lion Zion

Floating Voters on 16:19 - May 4 with 2738 viewsTLA

Floating Voters on 15:42 - May 4 by hype313

The parties have dramatically changed though so it's easier for people to not be so partisan, the current Tory party is a million miles away from traditional conservatism, look at the difference between Labour in the past 20 years.

Younger voters are not so entrenched/tribal like the older generation, maybe because it's easier to see party policies and more MP's are in the public eye.

There's no doubt that parties and MPs are open to more scrutiny. However, isn't the change in employment and community the biggest reason that people are not so aligned to a party? I have friends who are very working class who vote Tory as they are the party that speaks for them. Thirty years ago, they would be Labour to the core.

Personally, I like seeing a difference between the parties - I'd pay more taxes (with some reassurances about how they would be spent) and choose to work in a way that does some social good. However, I don't have kids etc. so maybe I can be more outward looking than people who have priorities closer to home.
Floating Voters on 16:20 - May 4 with 2738 viewsJ2BLUE

Floating Voters on 16:16 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

I thought you were voting Labour because you wanted a better opposition. Not a Labour government?

Did you check out Corbyn's rap sheet from an independent source yet?

Better opposition is the more realistic aim but i'd be perfectly happy with a Labour government.

I haven't yet, no. I forgot all about it. I will certainly do that though.

If the Tories matched 1-2 of Labour's policies i'd consider switching. If any major party promised to look seriously at a universal income i'd have a serious look at them as well as I like the idea.

Truly impaired.

Floating Voters on 16:23 - May 4 with 2723 viewsGlasgowBlue

Floating Voters on 16:20 - May 4 by J2BLUE

Better opposition is the more realistic aim but i'd be perfectly happy with a Labour government.

I haven't yet, no. I forgot all about it. I will certainly do that though.

If the Tories matched 1-2 of Labour's policies i'd consider switching. If any major party promised to look seriously at a universal income i'd have a serious look at them as well as I like the idea.

The policies you support haven't been costed. Corbyn has used the cut in corporation tax to pay for 13 different pledges. This is magic money tree economics.

Surely Abbot's Police pay debacle has cast doubt in your mind that they won't be able to deliver on what they promise?

Iron Lion Zion

Floating Voters on 16:29 - May 4 with 2696 viewsArcher4721

Floating Voters on 15:52 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Well if that were the case Labour would win every time!
Floating Voters on 17:45 - May 4 with 2602 viewsjas0999

Floating Voters on 15:38 - May 4 by artsbossbeard

I don't understand floating voters for this very reason but accept that there are plenty out there. All a bit weird if you ask me.

I'll only ever vote for one party and would rather chop of my old chap than vote for the other.

I'm one of those! I tend to have an open mind and listen to all sides before making a decision. However, at this election, because it's been called earlier than the five years I thought I'd voted for last time, my vote will be the same.

Leaders and MPs (candidates) change from one election to the next, so I personally like to see who is representing me locally and the likely PM before voting.
[Post edited 4 May 2017 17:47]
Floating Voters on 18:49 - May 4 with 2532 viewsstantheman

Floating Voters on 15:38 - May 4 by artsbossbeard

What if you do not agree with their policies in their manifesto or they are lead by someone who you think is not up to the job. Not pointing at any party in particular but I have swopped my vote in those cases.
Floating Voters on 20:05 - May 4 with 2484 viewsartsbossbeard

Floating Voters on 18:49 - May 4 by stantheman

What if you do not agree with their policies in their manifesto or they are lead by someone who you think is not up to the job. Not pointing at any party in particular but I have swopped my vote in those cases.

The policies in the manifesto should go hand in hand with the core values of said party, so I don't see that as a particular issue although I agree on the leader argument.

I then take a look at the oppo leader, realise what a self serving, morally corrupt individual they are and carry on as normal.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Floating Voters on 20:25 - May 4 with 2440 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Floating Voters on 16:15 - May 4 by J2BLUE

It is everyones human right to be given a free house and £30k PA income as soon as they turn 16. That applies to everyone, everyone all over the World.
Floating Voters on 20:30 - May 4 with 2421 viewsJ2BLUE

Floating Voters on 20:25 - May 4 by FrowsyArmLarry

It is everyones human right to be given a free house and £30k PA income as soon as they turn 16. That applies to everyone, everyone all over the World.

What are you talking about?

Truly impaired.

Floating Voters on 20:36 - May 4 with 2405 viewsGlasgowBlue

Floating Voters on 20:30 - May 4 by J2BLUE

What are you talking about?

I believe he is demonstrating that you can say anything that will appeal without actually having to cost it.

I'll throw in free season tickets to all 18-30 year olds.

Iron Lion Zion

Floating Voters on 20:45 - May 4 with 2386 viewsJ2BLUE

Floating Voters on 20:36 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

I believe he is demonstrating that you can say anything that will appeal without actually having to cost it.

I'll throw in free season tickets to all 18-30 year olds.

To be fair he speaks so much rubbish you never know what point he's trying to make.

I'm not asking for massive giveaways.

Truly impaired.

Floating Voters on 20:53 - May 4 with 2368 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I voted Conservative last time, but our MP has turned out to be an absolute C Unit so this time I'm voting Lib Dem.

Its not just about the national interest.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Floating Voters on 20:58 - May 4 with 2356 viewsGeoffSentence

Floating Voters on 20:53 - May 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

I voted Conservative last time, but our MP has turned out to be an absolute C Unit so this time I'm voting Lib Dem.

Its not just about the national interest.

But you haven't switched from Conservative to Labour which is what I was asking about.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024