Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. 09:03 - Jun 6 with 2945 viewsDanTheMan

Got a friend with type 1 diabetes. He's also a terrible diabetic as he is nowhere as near as careful about it as he should be, which has lead to me calling probably close to 10 ambulances for him when he has had a hypo whilst we lived together.

I've not lived with him for a few years now and I know he's had a few close shaves where he has very luckily had a hypo whilst others are around. One time he randomly woke up in hospital after some members of the public worked out what was going on.

Anyway, we've got a group chat in our friend group and he basically always posts in the morning as he's up first. He's not been on his phone since 2pm yesterday but I know he got home as his computer signed in to Steam. My worry is that he's got home about to crash, then had a hypo at home and is now alone where no one is likely to find him. He doesn't really have anyone outside our friend group in Birmingham and his family are in Oxford.

I'm unsure as to what to do now. It's only been 12ish hours but I fear something bad has happened and genuinely don't know who I'm supposed to call.

Any help would be appreciated.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:05 - Jun 6 with 2899 viewshype313

Can you nip round? you not based in Brum?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:07 - Jun 6 with 2884 viewsartsbossbeard

Local Old Bill worth a call?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:07 - Jun 6 with 2888 viewsDanTheMan

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:05 - Jun 6 by hype313

Can you nip round? you not based in Brum?

I've moved to Notts. Nobody else I know, other than a few people from his job, who would know how to get to him. I don't even know his full address as I've not been there. Thinking of calling up his work place as I used to work there and see if he's just booked the day off or something stupid.

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:08 - Jun 6 with 2882 viewsDanTheMan

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:07 - Jun 6 by artsbossbeard

Local Old Bill worth a call?

I thought that might be the proper people to call, I assumed it wouldn't be an ambulance unless you were sure.

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:09 - Jun 6 with 2868 viewshype313

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:07 - Jun 6 by DanTheMan

I've moved to Notts. Nobody else I know, other than a few people from his job, who would know how to get to him. I don't even know his full address as I've not been there. Thinking of calling up his work place as I used to work there and see if he's just booked the day off or something stupid.

Have you? Oh, nice move.

Erm, not sure what to suggest, could call the local rozzers, but they might just say can a family member visit, could one of your group based in brum nip round? or contact family in Ox to get address details?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:12 - Jun 6 with 2851 viewsartsbossbeard

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:08 - Jun 6 by DanTheMan

I thought that might be the proper people to call, I assumed it wouldn't be an ambulance unless you were sure.

Think that's about right. They'll at least give his door a knock,speak to neighbours and have a peak through the curtains, etc.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:12 - Jun 6 with 2852 viewsSwansea_Blue

Call his work sounds like the easiest, quickest first step. You could find out all's well in 5 mins.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:15 - Jun 6 with 2835 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:12 - Jun 6 by Swansea_Blue

Call his work sounds like the easiest, quickest first step. You could find out all's well in 5 mins.

This. They might also send someone round if they're a lot closer.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:16 - Jun 6 with 2828 viewsGuthrum

I'd say do what Swansea suggests, then ring the police if they know nothing/he hasn't turned up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:22 - Jun 6 with 2806 viewsDanTheMan

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:12 - Jun 6 by Swansea_Blue

Just called. He emailed at quarter to 5 saying he was will but nobody has been able to contact him since.

I might leave it until this evening and if I've still not heard anything I might have to escalate it.

Shame none of the group are in Brum anymore as we could have popped round and just checked. And him living by himself in a tower block when he doesn't look after himself always worries me.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 9:23]

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:30 - Jun 6 with 2767 viewsfactual_blue

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:08 - Jun 6 by DanTheMan

The police will check if you ring them and explain the situation fully.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:31 - Jun 6 with 2775 viewsGuthrum

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:22 - Jun 6 by DanTheMan

Just called. He emailed at quarter to 5 saying he was will but nobody has been able to contact him since.

I might leave it until this evening and if I've still not heard anything I might have to escalate it.

Shame none of the group are in Brum anymore as we could have popped round and just checked. And him living by himself in a tower block when he doesn't look after himself always worries me.

Not an expert on diabetes, but if he said he was ill then and been uncontactable since, might be better to act now.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 9:31]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:45 - Jun 6 with 2714 viewsLord_Lucan

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:31 - Jun 6 by Guthrum

Not an expert on diabetes, but if he said he was ill then and been uncontactable since, might be better to act now.

Yes. It won't take a few mins to call the police and or 111.

If he is ok then fine and no one can or will moan at you for overreacting - which you wouldn't be anyway..
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 9:46]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:58 - Jun 6 with 2674 viewstractorshark

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:31 - Jun 6 by Guthrum

Agree with that. My daughter is Type 1, so I know all about the pitfalls.
You're not wasting anyone's time asking them to check on him.
He may be incapable of calling for help.
Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 12:12 - Jun 6 with 2570 viewsBluefish

Hope all is well with your friend, that is a scary situation.

If you are Notts let me know if you fancy going to any games next season and I will give you a lift

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 13:02 - Jun 6 with 2466 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Not sure what to do about a friend of mine I think may be in trouble. on 09:22 - Jun 6 by DanTheMan

Assuming you are saying 'ill' rather than 'well', I'd suggest not waiting til tonight

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024