Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
07:12 - Jun 29 with 5932 views_

FFS... on 07:40 - Jun 29 with 5140 viewshomer_123

Read that last night...they wanted to be famous....job done?

Madness isn't it...

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

on 07:47 - Jun 29 with 5121 views_

FFS... on 07:40 - Jun 29 by homer_123

Read that last night...they wanted to be famous....job done?

Madness isn't it...

FFS... on 07:47 - Jun 29 with 5123 viewsHerbivore

It used to be that if you really wanted to be famous you actually had to be really, really good at something and have both talent and a good work ethic to help you achieve fame. These days all it takes is the ability to work a camera and upload crap to the internet.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 07:50 - Jun 29 with 5118 views_

FFS... on 07:47 - Jun 29 by Herbivore

It used to be that if you really wanted to be famous you actually had to be really, really good at something and have both talent and a good work ethic to help you achieve fame. These days all it takes is the ability to work a camera and upload crap to the internet.

FFS... on 07:51 - Jun 29 with 5112 viewsHerbivore

on 07:50 - Jun 29 by _

Agree on all counts.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

FFS... on 07:51 - Jun 29 with 5112 viewsBackToRussia

Lol

No great loss you feel

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

on 07:56 - Jun 29 with 5101 views_

FFS... on 07:51 - Jun 29 by BackToRussia

Lol

No great loss you feel

FFS... on 08:20 - Jun 29 with 5048 viewshomer_123

on 07:56 - Jun 29 by _

Just a waste really and one that has massive consequences for family etc.

Login to get fewer ads

on 08:23 - Jun 29 with 5043 views_

FFS... on 08:20 - Jun 29 by homer_123

Just a waste really and one that has massive consequences for family etc.

FFS... on 08:24 - Jun 29 with 5036 viewshomer_123

on 08:23 - Jun 29 by _

Enjoy bud.

FFS... on 09:14 - Jun 29 with 4971 viewscaught-in-limbo

FFS... on 07:51 - Jun 29 by BackToRussia

Lol

No great loss you feel

I'm mostly annoyed that the story has made our press. Idiots die doing idiotic things every day.

I'm sure this type of story is more likely to result in reductions to internet access than increased investment in basic education and the teaching of common sense to reduce the global population of stupid morons.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

FFS... on 09:16 - Jun 29 with 4961 viewsSwansea_Blue

FFS... on 09:14 - Jun 29 by caught-in-limbo

I'm mostly annoyed that the story has made our press. Idiots die doing idiotic things every day.

I'm sure this type of story is more likely to result in reductions to internet access than increased investment in basic education and the teaching of common sense to reduce the global population of stupid morons.

Helps the Darwin Awards tick over though....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

FFS... on 09:20 - Jun 29 with 4949 viewsStokieBlue

Surely the root cause is education in this case?

They honestly thought the book would stop the bullet (probably from a film or something) whereas a piece of paper and a few quick calculations would have told then that was complete nonsense.

They clearly also lacked any common sense or sense of self-preservation.

Agree on the kids, awful to do anything that would even remotely put them in that position.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

FFS... on 09:39 - Jun 29 with 4918 viewsWeWereZombies

FFS... on 09:16 - Jun 29 by Swansea_Blue

Helps the Darwin Awards tick over though....

My initial thoughts too, the cynical view is that one idiot was removed from the world and another will be put away for a time.

But the madness and the tragedy of the event must have shattered all present almost as much as the deceased. No doubt some will share the video as a vicarious thrill but I have enough faith in humanity to expect most to hear about this and regard it as a symptom of misuse of the internet.

I suppose I will find out if my view is correct by looking to see if the content of the forum improves over the course of today...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

FFS... on 09:52 - Jun 29 with 4886 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

FFS... on 09:20 - Jun 29 by StokieBlue

Surely the root cause is education in this case?

They honestly thought the book would stop the bullet (probably from a film or something) whereas a piece of paper and a few quick calculations would have told then that was complete nonsense.

They clearly also lacked any common sense or sense of self-preservation.

Agree on the kids, awful to do anything that would even remotely put them in that position.

SB

No calculations needed. Even if you're as stupid as these guys were...... surely you would try shooting the book first (without a person behind it) to see whether the bullet went through it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

FFS... on 09:54 - Jun 29 with 4873 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

'wtf is wrong with us?'

....count me out of this one mate.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

FFS... on 09:55 - Jun 29 with 4869 viewscaught-in-limbo

FFS... on 09:39 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

My initial thoughts too, the cynical view is that one idiot was removed from the world and another will be put away for a time.

But the madness and the tragedy of the event must have shattered all present almost as much as the deceased. No doubt some will share the video as a vicarious thrill but I have enough faith in humanity to expect most to hear about this and regard it as a symptom of misuse of the internet.

I suppose I will find out if my view is correct by looking to see if the content of the forum improves over the course of today...

"I have enough faith in humanity to expect most to hear about this and regard it as a symptom of misuse of the internet. "

No, it's first and foremost a symptom of misuse of grey matter.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

FFS... on 10:01 - Jun 29 with 4857 viewsWeWereZombies

FFS... on 09:55 - Jun 29 by caught-in-limbo

"I have enough faith in humanity to expect most to hear about this and regard it as a symptom of misuse of the internet. "

No, it's first and foremost a symptom of misuse of grey matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_McLuhan

FFS... on 10:18 - Jun 29 with 4831 viewsGuthrum

FFS... on 07:47 - Jun 29 by Herbivore

At least that's the perception. In reality only an extremely tiny proportion of those who post stuff on the web achieve even a modicum of fame (mostly those with talent and a work ethic). And only a very small percentage of those actually make money from it.

If this couple's "stunt" had succeeded, it's unlikely that more than a few hundred people would ever have noticed.

Because of this perception, however, people will keep trying as a supposed easy route to fame and fortune.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2017 10:19]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

FFS... on 10:28 - Jun 29 with 4808 viewschicoazul

One for the Darwin Awards.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

FFS... on 10:29 - Jun 29 with 4810 viewsGuthrum

Another aspect to this is a complete lack of risk assessment based on research or careful thought.

From what it said in the article, they picked one of the most powerful handguns available and fired at absolutely point-blank range. Bet they didn't carry out penetration tests on similar books beforehand. Probably held the book perpendicular to the axis of the shot (minimum protection). Any proper training in weapon use would have told them what was likely to happen.

This is why we need to teach common sense.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

FFS... on 10:33 - Jun 29 with 4790 viewsWeWereZombies

FFS... on 09:52 - Jun 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

No calculations needed. Even if you're as stupid as these guys were...... surely you would try shooting the book first (without a person behind it) to see whether the bullet went through it.

Perhaps they were conserving ammo for when the aliens invade...

FFS... on 10:33 - Jun 29 with 4792 viewsSwailsey

Very foolish and a great shame.

People do put themselves in danger doing stupid things most days and some make a career out of it (Jackass, Dirty Sanchez, a lot of skateboarders etc), but this probably was obvious to anyone.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

FFS... on 10:40 - Jun 29 with 4769 viewsDarth_Koont

FFS indeed!

Another problem with the whole science vs. opinion stuff going on nowadays ... a more scientifically inclined person would have shot a similar book first to see what happens.

Also using a Desert Eagle!!!?? One of the most high-powered handguns ever made!!?? What could go wrong?

Pronouns: He/Him

FFS... on 10:41 - Jun 29 with 4760 viewsSwailsey

FFS... on 10:40 - Jun 29 by Darth_Koont

FFS indeed!

Another problem with the whole science vs. opinion stuff going on nowadays ... a more scientifically inclined person would have shot a similar book first to see what happens.

Also using a Desert Eagle!!!?? One of the most high-powered handguns ever made!!?? What could go wrong?

Both very valid points.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024