Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today 09:27 - Dec 20 with 20087 viewsStokieBlue

So the Lib Dems have tabled an amendment to allow the public to have a second referendum on the deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/20/lib-dems-call-for-second-eu-ref

Unlikely to pass but if there is an election in 2018 like some are predicting (I think it's unlikely) then it would certainly give the public another option to vote for. Would be interesting to see if enough people who felt strongly enough on brexit could put aside party loyalty and vote for someone else offering them the chance to reverse brexit.

All hypothetical of course.

I did find this quite astonishing:

"Cable said there was growing public support for a referendum on the final deal, citing a recent poll by Survation that found 50% of respondents wanted a vote."

I am amazed that 50% of people think the exit process is going OK. Crazy stuff.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:27 - Dec 20 with 7985 viewshype313

About time we heard from them, it's been a while.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:31 - Dec 20 with 7973 viewsnrb1985

I think the actual number who thought it was going well was in the 30s somewhere - I guess the others were undecided.
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:32 - Dec 20 with 7961 viewsgiant_stow

Wasn't it 40% thought it was going ok, with 10% don't knows?

If you're wondering who the 40% are, check Question Time out next time its up north in some little town. The ones shouting, 'talking common sense' and making ominous threaty comments about the 'will of the people' being seen through... they're the 40%.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:34 - Dec 20 with 7959 viewsBluefish

The 1st referendum was a shambles and because no one wants to admit it this country has made an enormous mistake. We won't have a 2nd one and we are walking into disaster, it is ridiculous

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:34 - Dec 20 with 7954 viewsblue_oyster

If you don’t like the result of a referendum, keep having them until you get the result you want. This is Mr Cable’s idea of democracy.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 9:41]

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:35 - Dec 20 with 7956 viewsnrb1985

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:32 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

If you're wondering who the 40% are, check Question Time out next time its up north in some little town. The ones shouting, 'talking common sense' and making ominous threaty comments about the 'will of the people' being seen through... they're the 40%.

Last week in Barnsley was truly astonishing. That old boy ranting that EU migrants had damaged the town...

I looked up the % of EU migrants in Barnsley, it's under 3% of the entire population. Barnsley was also the town where they interviewed that bloke saying he voted out to stop islamic immigration.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 9:45]
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:35 - Dec 20 with 7950 viewsBluefish

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:34 - Dec 20 by blue_oyster

If you don’t like the result of a referendum, keep having them until you get the result you want. This is Mr Cable’s idea of democracy.

Or realise the biggest mistake the county has ever made and try to correct it?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:35 - Dec 20 with 7948 viewsgiant_stow

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:34 - Dec 20 by blue_oyster

Is yours to just have one vote for evermore?

We should shut down general and council elections too, if so.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:37 - Dec 20 with 7941 viewsStokieBlue

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:32 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

I haven't seen the study so I don't know but your numbers seem about right - I should have phrased the OP slightly better.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:39 - Dec 20 with 7933 viewsgiant_stow

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:35 - Dec 20 by nrb1985

Last week in Barnsley was truly astonishing. That old boy ranting that EU migrants had damaged the town...

I looked up the % of EU migrants in Barnsley, it's under 3% of the entire population. Barnsley was also the town where they interviewed that bloke saying he voted out to stop islamic immigration.

Isn't it in Islington this week? Don't let me down bredwin!

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:41 - Dec 20 with 7927 viewsnrb1985

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:35 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Is yours to just have one vote for evermore?

We should shut down general and council elections too, if so.

In a general election you can change your mind every four years if you don't like the outcome.

Conversely, giving people a binary yes or no choice on a highly esoteric issue, of which its clear they didn't have firm understanding, is an idiotic way to run public policy.
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:41 - Dec 20 with 7920 viewsgiant_stow

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:37 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

I haven't seen the study so I don't know but your numbers seem about right - I should have phrased the OP slightly better.

SB

Not at all mr - I could easily be chatting out my arse - just going by memory.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:42 - Dec 20 with 7911 viewsblue_oyster

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:35 - Dec 20 by Bluefish

Or realise the biggest mistake the county has ever made and try to correct it?

You mean you disagree with a democratic majority vote.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:43 - Dec 20 with 7913 viewsnrb1985

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:39 - Dec 20 by giant_stow

Isn't it in Islington this week? Don't let me down bredwin!

Haha - what a contrast!

Thing is, I don't really blame these people for holding their views. Not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge. I do blame though the mail and the sun for filling their heads with such nonsense in the first place.
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:44 - Dec 20 with 7904 viewsBlueBadger

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:34 - Dec 20 by Bluefish

The 1st referendum was a shambles and because no one wants to admit it this country has made an enormous mistake. We won't have a 2nd one and we are walking into disaster, it is ridiculous

The country at the moment is basically a bloke who has looked his neighbour in the eye and publicly shat himself. Both parties involved know that its a horrible, embarrassing and costly mess but the first chap is currently maintaining eye contact in a desperate bid to front it out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:46 - Dec 20 with 7886 viewsgiant_stow

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:43 - Dec 20 by nrb1985

Haha - what a contrast!

Thing is, I don't really blame these people for holding their views. Not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge. I do blame though the mail and the sun for filling their heads with such nonsense in the first place.

bang on.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:47 - Dec 20 with 7883 viewsBlueBadger

Haha - what a contrast!

'Not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge'. No, but you can, read, criticise and question.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:53 - Dec 20 with 7879 viewsnrb1985

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:47 - Dec 20 by BlueBadger

'Not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge'. No, but you can, read, criticise and question.

That's called critical thought and not everybody has the capacity for that. It's something I learnt at A-Levels and university.

Again, not everybody is fortunate enough to undertake higher education.
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:58 - Dec 20 with 7865 viewsgiant_stow

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:42 - Dec 20 by blue_oyster

And you seem to want to deny people another democratic vote.

Your argument is a dead end.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:58 - Dec 20 with 7865 viewsBergholtBru

Vince Cable is a first class tw@t! End of!!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:59 - Dec 20 with 7865 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Haha - what a contrast!

Congratulations - that is comfortably the most pretentious, patronising post I have ever seen on this forum!

"what a contrast"; "not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge"

I can't imagine for a second that Barnsley folk see themselves in any way inferior to anyone from bl00dy Islington
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:59 - Dec 20 with 7863 viewsBlueBadger

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:53 - Dec 20 by nrb1985

That's called critical thought and not everybody has the capacity for that. It's something I learnt at A-Levels and university.

Again, not everybody is fortunate enough to undertake higher education.

To quote a TWTD leg end(sic), balls. You certainly couldn't teach it to the far more technical level required at A and degree level, but it's certainly used to be taught at GCSE level, particularly in English and history where you were required, at nearly all levels of ability to be able to examine set texts or pieces of evidence and examine their credibility and subtext. Frankly, the idea that you to be 'clever' to be a critical thinker is lazy and dangerous. Hell, one history GCSE paper always used to be an 'unseen' paper where you were set a subject you had been taught nothing about and asked to draw conclusions and express if you thought these conclusion were valid based on the quality of sources they'd given you.

(I say 'used to' as this was my experience at school 20 years ago, I have no idea how these things are taught nowadays).

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:59 - Dec 20 with 7862 viewsBluefish

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:42 - Dec 20 by blue_oyster

It wasn't real ffs. The facts were presented properly, it is a shambles. The majority of the voters have absolutely no idea what the implications are.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 10:00 - Dec 20 with 7859 viewsBlueBadger

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:58 - Dec 20 by BergholtBru

Vince Cable is a first class tw@t! End of!!

We're going to have to stop now folks, someone's said 'end of' and that's surefire proof that what they're saying is an irrefutable fact.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 11:30]

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 10:07 - Dec 20 with 7845 viewsnrb1985

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:59 - Dec 20 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Congratulations - that is comfortably the most pretentious, patronising post I have ever seen on this forum!

"what a contrast"; "not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge"

I can't imagine for a second that Barnsley folk see themselves in any way inferior to anyone from bl00dy Islington

1. So you think there will be no contrast in the political opinions of those in Islington as opposed to Barnsley? That's not what the referendum result said...

2. The combined number of students of Oxbridge is c.50k, there are 65m people in Britain. So I'd be right on that one too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024