Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today 09:27 - Dec 20 with 20116 viewsStokieBlue

So the Lib Dems have tabled an amendment to allow the public to have a second referendum on the deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/20/lib-dems-call-for-second-eu-ref

Unlikely to pass but if there is an election in 2018 like some are predicting (I think it's unlikely) then it would certainly give the public another option to vote for. Would be interesting to see if enough people who felt strongly enough on brexit could put aside party loyalty and vote for someone else offering them the chance to reverse brexit.

All hypothetical of course.

I did find this quite astonishing:

"Cable said there was growing public support for a referendum on the final deal, citing a recent poll by Survation that found 50% of respondents wanted a vote."

I am amazed that 50% of people think the exit process is going OK. Crazy stuff.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:52 - Dec 20 with 3091 viewsbackwaywhen

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:44 - Dec 20 by Bluefish

Please explain one way that it will be better?

We are a great country and respected across the globe ...by most ! ..we can draw trade in and out of this great island ...rid ourselves off people from Brussels that rob us blind and dictate our laws , that alone cannot be right ...best rid ...and we soon will be !.
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:55 - Dec 20 with 3084 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 09:59 - Dec 20 by BlueBadger

To quote a TWTD leg end(sic), balls. You certainly couldn't teach it to the far more technical level required at A and degree level, but it's certainly used to be taught at GCSE level, particularly in English and history where you were required, at nearly all levels of ability to be able to examine set texts or pieces of evidence and examine their credibility and subtext. Frankly, the idea that you to be 'clever' to be a critical thinker is lazy and dangerous. Hell, one history GCSE paper always used to be an 'unseen' paper where you were set a subject you had been taught nothing about and asked to draw conclusions and express if you thought these conclusion were valid based on the quality of sources they'd given you.

(I say 'used to' as this was my experience at school 20 years ago, I have no idea how these things are taught nowadays).

Talking of history teaching at school.......and using Peaky Blinders as a reference point (risky I know)...I had no idea quite how 'in the air' communist revolution was in this country in the inter war years. Strangely this never featured in my history lessons, along with a lot of ither stuff !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:57 - Dec 20 with 3081 viewsblueislander

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 17:31 - Dec 20 by imsureazzure

Was the system of referendum ok when the UK voted to join the common market?

Was political and legal union voted on in the original referendum?

We did not have a referendum to decide whether to enter what was then called "The Common Market". There was a referendum as to whether we should stay in or leave it. At that stage it was purely a commercial union which created a very powerful trading bloc. I voted to stay in , because it made perfect sense. The creation of political union developed in the late 80s, and the telling event was the Maastricht Agreement. We were not consulted on this, although , if I remember rightly, there was no real right/left division on this issue.
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:04 - Dec 20 with 3076 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 12:58 - Dec 20 by Swansea_Blue

I remember them. Didn't they used to be a political party once? I believe they may even have had a successful PM or two if you go back long enough.

It's a shame. For me the landscape is crying out for a centre position. For a party without the extreme financial policies of labour, but with a social and environmental conscience. That should be the Lib Dems, but nobody knows who they are these days.

The vampire squid at Goldman etc are currently briefing their man at International Rescue.....he will come across as sincere as Macron.....not too long now !

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:06 - Dec 20 with 3069 viewsBluefish

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:52 - Dec 20 by backwaywhen

We are a great country and respected across the globe ...by most ! ..we can draw trade in and out of this great island ...rid ourselves off people from Brussels that rob us blind and dictate our laws , that alone cannot be right ...best rid ...and we soon will be !.

Nope not sure you named a benefit just some farage style sound bites. Our laws are unlikely to change and we won't be better off financially or easier to trade with.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:07 - Dec 20 with 3067 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Out of interest Stokie if we resort to a grovelling "can we come back please" and they insist on us joining the Euro ........would you ?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:10 - Dec 20 with 3060 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:55 - Dec 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Talking of history teaching at school.......and using Peaky Blinders as a reference point (risky I know)...I had no idea quite how 'in the air' communist revolution was in this country in the inter war years. Strangely this never featured in my history lessons, along with a lot of ither stuff !

Peaky Blinders are playing this up a bit. There was never any real chance of revolution in the UK. I think the Daily Mail ( quelle surprise ) over egged the British Communists party's numbers and capabilities in order to increase the Tory vote at the general election.

The BCP picked up a few more members during the general strike but they never mobilised in the same way as those in Italy or some other European countries.

We are very fortunate that this country has never really embraced extremism from either right or left.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:11 - Dec 20 with 3056 viewsClapham_Junction

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:52 - Dec 20 by backwaywhen

The impression I've got from meeting people from all over the globe since the referendum is that they think we've gone completely mad, alongside our American cousins.

I don't see what the problem is with harmonising laws within a free trade block. The alternative is a race to the bottom on a range of issues.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 19:13]
Login to get fewer ads

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:12 - Dec 20 with 3046 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 13:54 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Clearly my statement was not every person didn't, but the vast majority would have not known all details.

I’m in central Govt and we didn’t either. 99% will rely on the media and what they want you to understand

I have no issue with people wanting to leave, but i have friends and family who say they would have voted differently had they known what they know now.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 13:55]

......and the ones that voted Remain ? (bathed in a light of infinite knowledge !)

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:13 - Dec 20 with 3042 viewsJ2BLUE

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:07 - Dec 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Out of interest Stokie if we resort to a grovelling "can we come back please" and they insist on us joining the Euro ........would you ?

In theory, I like the idea of joining the Euro. In practice, we really shouldn't ever join.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:16 - Dec 20 with 3031 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 18:04 - Dec 20 by The_Last_Baron

We had the vote on 23rd June 2016. Leave won by a margin of 1,250,000 votes. Time to leave the EU and rd ourselves of all it's tenacles.

Fighting back against corporatism......one brick at a time brother !

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:23 - Dec 20 with 3010 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:10 - Dec 20 by GlasgowBlue

Peaky Blinders are playing this up a bit. There was never any real chance of revolution in the UK. I think the Daily Mail ( quelle surprise ) over egged the British Communists party's numbers and capabilities in order to increase the Tory vote at the general election.

The BCP picked up a few more members during the general strike but they never mobilised in the same way as those in Italy or some other European countries.

We are very fortunate that this country has never really embraced extremism from either right or left.

.......and the military being sent in to cities ?...... Guthers ! Cheers though Glassers . I am still inclined to think that history at school is somewhat sanitised though in terms of subject matter.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:25 - Dec 20 with 3007 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:11 - Dec 20 by Clapham_Junction

The impression I've got from meeting people from all over the globe since the referendum is that they think we've gone completely mad, alongside our American cousins.

I don't see what the problem is with harmonising laws within a free trade block. The alternative is a race to the bottom on a range of issues.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 19:13]

Do you think that all other citizens of EU member states would vote to remain if given the option ?

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:28 - Dec 20 with 2992 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:23 - Dec 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

.......and the military being sent in to cities ?...... Guthers ! Cheers though Glassers . I am still inclined to think that history at school is somewhat sanitised though in terms of subject matter.

Yes Guthers would have far more knowledge on the subject.

Iron Lion Zion

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:29 - Dec 20 with 2986 viewsbackwaywhen

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:06 - Dec 20 by Bluefish

Nope not sure you named a benefit just some farage style sound bites. Our laws are unlikely to change and we won't be better off financially or easier to trade with.

Your opinion ...but watch this space !
Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:31 - Dec 20 with 2984 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:25 - Dec 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do you think that all other citizens of EU member states would vote to remain if given the option ?

As things stand yes. But France, Spain, Greece, Italy, Sweden and Poland all have a majority in favour of at least holding a referendum and as we know, once that process starts all bets are off.

It's interesting that Norway, who have what we are told is a worse relationship than being a full member have constantly had a majority for staying out.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 19:32]

Iron Lion Zion

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:35 - Dec 20 with 2977 viewsClapham_Junction

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:25 - Dec 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

No, but I don't think any country would have a majority in favour of leaving, with the possible exception of Greece. But even there opinions have changed recently.

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:37 - Dec 20 with 2964 viewsBluefish

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:29 - Dec 20 by backwaywhen

Your opinion ...but watch this space !

Can you tell me what I am watching for? You seemed sure it will be what you have voted for so you must know.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:41 - Dec 20 with 2955 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:35 - Dec 20 by Clapham_Junction

No, but I don't think any country would have a majority in favour of leaving, with the possible exception of Greece. But even there opinions have changed recently.

Interesting to see that two years before we voted leave the polls showed just 36% supporting Brexit. The same as Greece and just a couple of points ahead of Italy. Two years before that the figures were closer to that of France and Sweden.

Iron Lion Zion

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:49 - Dec 20 with 2944 viewsblue_oyster

Lib Dems pushing for second referendum today on 19:41 - Dec 20 by GlasgowBlue

Interesting to see that two years before we voted leave the polls showed just 36% supporting Brexit. The same as Greece and just a couple of points ahead of Italy. Two years before that the figures were closer to that of France and Sweden.

The political situation in the UK before the referendum was that leaving the EU wasn’t even an option. No main party supported it. It was a dirty secret to hold that view, and much distaste and bile directed to people who were of that opinion (called xenophobes or racist). That still goes on. Turns out when given the chance of a secret fair vote, majority actually wants to leave. There’s certainly a lot to ponder, with regards to the ‘perception’ of a country’s mood using opinion polls.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024