Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me 15:59 - May 1 with 3950 viewstractorshark

Not sure I get the love-in with Paul Cook.
People want a new manager, young, with fresh ideas who plays decent football.
So what’s wrong with Paul Cook? Well, he’s 51 for a start so, although not old, he’s not exactly young either.
Fresh ideas? Maybe. I live in the South East and know quite a few Pompey season-ticket holders. They shed no tears when he left, they felt he should have got them promoted the first year, given their financial backing and support. But he lacked a Plan B and once teams worked them out, their form dropped off alarmingly.
But I concede he did eventually get them promoted...and Chesterfield and Wigan.
However, my issue is I’m not sure how impressive those accolades really are.
Pompey were a big club with a big fan base and paid good money in L2. They should have gone up.
Likewise, Wigan were a poor Championship club but a good L1 outfit with the likes of Powell and Grigg. No one was shocked to see them flying high.
I just think a lot of Ipswich fans go misty-eyed about Cook because his Pompey side embarrassed us in the cup. Just like the Cowleys.
They probably don’t even know Cook played briefly for Norwich.
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:04 - May 1 with 3906 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Getting Chesterfield promoted should be considered as an impressive accolade!

You could argue they have been mismanaged since he left, but it shows that without him they went from a mid table L1 club to non league in little over 2 years. Their fans were impressed by him.... Though they have very little in the way of comparison, given the years of tedium they've had
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:13 - May 1 with 3867 viewstractorshark

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:04 - May 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Getting Chesterfield promoted should be considered as an impressive accolade!

You could argue they have been mismanaged since he left, but it shows that without him they went from a mid table L1 club to non league in little over 2 years. Their fans were impressed by him.... Though they have very little in the way of comparison, given the years of tedium they've had

Absolutely. I’ll give him Chesterfield. Pompey and Wigan are still achievements but they don’t convince me.
Mind you, John Duncan got Chesterfield promoted!!
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:26 - May 1 with 3821 viewsIllinoisblue

why this obsession with age? 69-year-old Warnock's done okay.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:44 - May 1 with 3757 viewsJ2BLUE

They probably don’t even know Cook played briefly for Norwich.

Who cares?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:49 - May 1 with 3737 viewsITFC_Forever

Pompey fans are dreaming of him returning now they've suffered a year of Jackett.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:53 - May 1 with 3726 viewsGeoffSentence

Never really had much of a solo career, really needs Steve Jones with him to be at his best.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:56 - May 1 with 3718 viewsCurrie10

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:13 - May 1 by tractorshark

Absolutely. I’ll give him Chesterfield. Pompey and Wigan are still achievements but they don’t convince me.
Mind you, John Duncan got Chesterfield promoted!!

If promotions from you last three jobs is deemed not good enough for us, can you please tell me who we should be looking to appoint?
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 17:29 - May 1 with 3652 viewsJoeSoap

What a crock of sh!t.

Paul Cook took Portsmouth to the final of the playoffs in his first season there, and took them up as champions the following season. Yes they have good fan support but I'm not sure where you get the idea that he had 'financial backing', the club was run by a supporters trust and they had just rid themselves of their debt.

I have lived in and around Portsmouth for over 50 years and as a result have many friends who support the club, I have yet to meet one who was pleased to see him go, many were angry that he left having said he was staying, but none wanted him gone.

Wigan have had an advantage financially but he's taken them up first time, how long did it take big clubs like Leeds and Nottingham Forest to get out of that division despite their superior budgets?

Still, he played six times for Norwich, he's over 50, and he comes from Liverpool so his place in Hell is assured.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 00:06 - May 2 with 3384 viewstractorshark

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 17:29 - May 1 by JoeSoap

What a crock of sh!t.

Paul Cook took Portsmouth to the final of the playoffs in his first season there, and took them up as champions the following season. Yes they have good fan support but I'm not sure where you get the idea that he had 'financial backing', the club was run by a supporters trust and they had just rid themselves of their debt.

I have lived in and around Portsmouth for over 50 years and as a result have many friends who support the club, I have yet to meet one who was pleased to see him go, many were angry that he left having said he was staying, but none wanted him gone.

Wigan have had an advantage financially but he's taken them up first time, how long did it take big clubs like Leeds and Nottingham Forest to get out of that division despite their superior budgets?

Still, he played six times for Norwich, he's over 50, and he comes from Liverpool so his place in Hell is assured.

Thank you for your eloquent reply.
You may think it's a crock of sh!t but Pompey started 2015/16 on fire, I don't think they lost a game for a couple of months. Then teams worked them out.
They drew a load of matches after that and the fans I speak to all said Cook had no Plan B and the football was too negative.
Yes, they got into the playoffs and, yes, they were promoted the following year but that was hardly unexpected.
I know they had come out of a period of debt but their wage bill was high for the division, especially when you compare it to Northampton's who finished 20-odd points clear of them at the top. Their crowds were a big factor in what they could pay.
I can't speak for Pompey fans, I only know the people from my area who are season-ticket holders. You may well be right and their view isn't shared by others but they seem far happier with Jackett than Cook.
As for Wigan, I'm not diminishing the achievement but given the players on their books and the wages they were paying compared to much of the rest of the division, it doesn't shock me.
Cook may well be a good manager and he may end up being the Ipswich manager but I'm not convinced (although of course I would support him).
And, no, it's got nothing to do with the fact he comes from Liverpool. And you've completely missed my point about the Norwich thing.
I couldn't care less about that.
My point is it seems many fans lean towards the likes of Cook or the Cowleys because they beat us in the Cup. That is all they know. It's not a sound argument, it’s as irrelevant as the Norwich link.
As for the age thing, again fans are calling for young blood. Cook doesn’t fit that requirement.
He’s 51, he’s managed nearly 600 games. Experienced, yes, but there’s nothing particularly fresh about him.
[Post edited 2 May 2018 0:37]
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 01:00 - May 2 with 3328 viewstractorshark

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:56 - May 1 by Currie10

If promotions from you last three jobs is deemed not good enough for us, can you please tell me who we should be looking to appoint?

That’s a valid question and argument.
I’m not denying Cook has done well, I’m just saying I’m not sure 2 of those promotions are as impressive as some make out.
You may not agree, it’s just my opinion.
As for who I’d go for, I’d personally put Paul Hurst or Nathan Jones ahead of Cook if you’re looking to the lower leagues.
Both have had similar success and their career path is on the up. They are probably the best of the new breed.
Steijn intrigues me but I know nothing about him to make a reasoned judgement. I like the sound of continental thinking but Dutch managers haven’t exactly been a success in recent times and it would be a gamble I don’t think Evans will take.
Lampard is intelligent but would probably want transfer funds and need an experienced man alongside. Again, it’s a risk but it would tick Evans’ publicity box and that would probably help lure a potential buyer.
I’m surprised Warburton hasn’t been talked about more. I thought he was impressive at Brentford and is only tainted by the madness of Forest.
But if you want an answer, I’ll go with Hurst.
He has massively overachieved at Shrewsbury and would be a good fit for us.
However, I’ll freely admit I’d take Cook over McClaren, Coleman or Pardew.
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 06:52 - May 2 with 3247 viewsshamboy

Get your money on Cook and McGreal. Pronto.
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 07:44 - May 2 with 3191 viewsSwailsey

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 16:53 - May 1 by GeoffSentence

Never really had much of a solo career, really needs Steve Jones with him to be at his best.

Lovely stuff.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 10:14 - May 2 with 3093 viewsCurrie10

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 01:00 - May 2 by tractorshark

That’s a valid question and argument.
I’m not denying Cook has done well, I’m just saying I’m not sure 2 of those promotions are as impressive as some make out.
You may not agree, it’s just my opinion.
As for who I’d go for, I’d personally put Paul Hurst or Nathan Jones ahead of Cook if you’re looking to the lower leagues.
Both have had similar success and their career path is on the up. They are probably the best of the new breed.
Steijn intrigues me but I know nothing about him to make a reasoned judgement. I like the sound of continental thinking but Dutch managers haven’t exactly been a success in recent times and it would be a gamble I don’t think Evans will take.
Lampard is intelligent but would probably want transfer funds and need an experienced man alongside. Again, it’s a risk but it would tick Evans’ publicity box and that would probably help lure a potential buyer.
I’m surprised Warburton hasn’t been talked about more. I thought he was impressive at Brentford and is only tainted by the madness of Forest.
But if you want an answer, I’ll go with Hurst.
He has massively overachieved at Shrewsbury and would be a good fit for us.
However, I’ll freely admit I’d take Cook over McClaren, Coleman or Pardew.

ANY promotion is impressive. ANY.

Sure, some sides may be expected to due to budget etc - however, you still have to steer the ship over 46 games.

I'd also prefer Hurst than Cook - however, if Cook were to come, it'd be a yes from me.

Not that I think he'd have any interest or we'd go in - however think to date a very decent managerial record!
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 11:07 - May 2 with 3027 viewsTrumptonBlue

As I understand it, there was a feeling at both Chesterfield and Portsmouth that Cook engineered his departure and so eventually left on bad terms. He left Portsmouth for Wigan very soon after saying he would only leave them for Liverpool. His achievements are impressive by any standard but he has created a reputation for being untrustworthy that may put Evans off.
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 11:11 - May 2 with 3016 viewsTrumptonBlue

Here's what a Pompey fan of my acquaintance said about him, for example:

"The information emerging is that Cook has instigated the move and he and his backroom team have effectively downed tools since the end of the season. The club appear to be on the back foot, and there are concerns about retaining players and preparing for next season."
Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 05:58 - May 3 with 2798 viewsshamboy

Paul Cook...it’s a no from me on 07:44 - May 2 by Swailsey

Lovely stuff.

Dudley Moore, surely?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024