Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People seem to be missing the big picture 16:06 - Jun 27 with 4262 viewsDanFord

We have already loaned in a kid that Chelsea rate as the next big thing, so much so he has an FA Cup winners medal as they put him on the bench at Wembley. We may find we have a player already at the level of Webster, but one who can play every week, pocket about £3.8m after Pompey's cut and have some of that to spend. What's not to like? We don't have parachute payments. This is what we are now. Signing players for £800k and selling them for £5m is the business plan is it not? That's what we are actively trying to do. On this occasion it's for one that only plays half the time. Tammy Abraham was the striking equivalent of Chalobah and he tore it up at this level. Happy to trust Evans and Hurst. No way Hurst lets Webster go if he wasn't going to be able to seriously shape his squad with the money and no way Evans waits and waits and waits for Hurst and then flogs a player he really rates and doesn't let him replace him.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:08 - Jun 27 with 3156 viewsGlasgowBlue

Loanee vs quality contracted Town player.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to see a team of Ipswich players.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:10 - Jun 27 with 3143 viewssoupytwist

Key word there is loaned. And, I don't think that Matt Clarke plus £700,000 at the time equals £800,000. I'd say it was closer to a million at least.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:11 - Jun 27 with 3132 viewsWestcountryblue

Chalobah...isn't...ours.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:16 - Jun 27 with 3100 viewsDanFord

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:11 - Jun 27 by Westcountryblue

Chalobah...isn't...ours.

Nor was Gio. Nor was Fraser. Nor was Lawrence? Would you rather finish 12th with a higher squad value? Guess what. We will lose a £5m player and have £5m in the bank PLUS Chalobah. See how the squad may not be weaker but then we have money to go out and make it even stronger than by keeping Webster?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:18 - Jun 27 with 3087 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

And what do we do when’s Chalobah returns to Chelsea, Chambers turns 33. Smith and Woolfenden haven’t played 10 championship games between them.....? Where do we turn then. In the last 12 months we had the potential for the most balanced partnership of Tommy Smith and Adam Webster and we got rid of them both. That shows our business plan, there is no desire for promotion there.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:18 - Jun 27 with 3085 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:11 - Jun 27 by Westcountryblue

Chalobah...isn't...ours.

He is ours, for a year. That's what a one year loan is.
Whilst Webster is ours for 2 years maximum (one year contract plus one year option).
Nobody is "ours" anymore indefinitely - that all changed with Bosman.

I don't like selling him, I won't like us selling Bart if that happens, but I want us to change. That means selling players and brining new ones in.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:20 - Jun 27 with 3063 viewsDanFord

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:18 - Jun 27 by TheTrueBlue1878

And what do we do when’s Chalobah returns to Chelsea, Chambers turns 33. Smith and Woolfenden haven’t played 10 championship games between them.....? Where do we turn then. In the last 12 months we had the potential for the most balanced partnership of Tommy Smith and Adam Webster and we got rid of them both. That shows our business plan, there is no desire for promotion there.

You do realise that by about October Woolfenden and Smith would probably have more Championship appearances than Webster lol. It's a shame really that we have to only play Chambers, Smith and Woolfenden and we are not allowed to sign anyone else or bring other defenders in.

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:21 - Jun 27 with 3054 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Maybe.

Or another view... both are injury prone, Smith wanted a fresh start, Webster wants more money.

Who knows what is best - as always it is about opinions
Login to get fewer ads

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:26 - Jun 27 with 3035 viewsIpswichKnight

Tommy Smith was never Championship quality.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:32 - Jun 27 with 2998 viewscrazyblue68

The word kid is a big clue. Thats all he is, and he isnt ours. Chambers and a kid from Chelsea is the answer. And all Hurst keeps mentioning is wingers. We need a defence firstly. A couple of free transfer wingers wont paper the cracks.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:33 - Jun 27 with 2993 viewsDanFord

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:32 - Jun 27 by crazyblue68

The word kid is a big clue. Thats all he is, and he isnt ours. Chambers and a kid from Chelsea is the answer. And all Hurst keeps mentioning is wingers. We need a defence firstly. A couple of free transfer wingers wont paper the cracks.

If only there was a way we could buy defenders hey.

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:36 - Jun 27 with 2975 viewscrazyblue68

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:33 - Jun 27 by DanFord

If only there was a way we could buy defenders hey.

Well, it might help. We havent yet, and we were short all last season when Berra left. We need 2 centre halves now.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:38 - Jun 27 with 2962 viewsDanFord

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:36 - Jun 27 by crazyblue68

Well, it might help. We havent yet, and we were short all last season when Berra left. We need 2 centre halves now.

We also have a manager that knows what he is doing and has been successful everywhere he has been. I don't have any doubts Hurst has a clear plan agreed with Evans.

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:47 - Jun 27 with 2934 viewsGarv

I'm not sure pinning hopes on Smith, as much as we like him, to be a promotion winning regular CB would have been wise. IMO.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:50 - Jun 27 with 2923 viewscrazyblue68

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:38 - Jun 27 by DanFord

We also have a manager that knows what he is doing and has been successful everywhere he has been. I don't have any doubts Hurst has a clear plan agreed with Evans.

No, Evans has a clear plan. Thats to fool every body who he can, into thinking he is doing what you want. He is very good at PR for those who like to hear nothing. Which is basically what he says whenever he puts pen to paper or in that interview stunt he pulled.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 17:17 - Jun 27 with 2881 viewsArthur_Hayes

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:26 - Jun 27 by IpswichKnight

Tommy Smith was never Championship quality.

Correct. I’ve watched him a few times this season for Colorado Rapids and he’s even slower than when he played for us, and has made numerous mistakes against relatively poor opposition. Good luck to him, but I’m glad he’s off our books.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 18:30 - Jun 27 with 2743 viewsjas0999

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:08 - Jun 27 by GlasgowBlue

Me too. One loan is more than enough for now. Funds must be reinvested in permanent additions to build a team of Ipswich players for not only this season, but next.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 18:41 - Jun 27 with 2698 viewsPilgrimblue

People seem to be missing the big picture on 18:30 - Jun 27 by jas0999

Me too. One loan is more than enough for now. Funds must be reinvested in permanent additions to build a team of Ipswich players for not only this season, but next.

Well for starters we've got Smith and Wolfenden both likely to be pushing for selection plus Webber.
I'd sooner have £5m and use that to reinvest in areas that Hurst needs to strengthen.
People seem to be missing the big picture on 19:30 - Jun 27 with 2602 viewsVic

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:32 - Jun 27 by crazyblue68

Is this the first grumble at Hurst?

Give the bloke a chance, please!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 19:49 - Jun 27 with 2561 viewsitfcjoe

That isn't the bigger picture - the bigger picture is we've sold a proven if somewhat injury prone player at this level, brought in a loanee without a senior game under his belt (who won't be able to get through 46 games either) and we have some money that if history shows us anything will likely go mostly towards the running costs of the club.

Obviously if we use the money to buy 2-3 players for £750k-£1m it makes it very difficult to moan about the deal. If we use it on loan fees then we are not in a good position going forwards as can only sell the family silver once.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 19:54 - Jun 27 with 2535 viewsSpruceMoose

People seem to be missing the big picture on 19:30 - Jun 27 by Vic

Is this the first grumble at Hurst?

Give the bloke a chance, please!

27th June 2018. The beginning of Hurst's fall from grace in the Kingdom of Numbskulls.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

People seem to be missing the big picture on 19:56 - Jun 27 with 2518 viewsJ2BLUE

Chalobah is 18. I'm not saying he can't be a quality player but people really do tend to go massively overboard when we sign players like this.

'Tammy Abraham was the striking equivalent of Chalobah and he tore it up at this level.'

That's how football works *sarcastic thumbs up*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 20:00 - Jun 27 with 2493 viewsNthsuffolkblue

People seem to be missing the big picture on 16:08 - Jun 27 by GlasgowBlue

I can see your point but no club has operated below the top 5 in the Premier League without utilising the loan system. It is part and parcel of the game now. It is little different to signing a player on a one year contract or one who has entered the final year of a deal without signing a new contract.

What would be good would be to see the young crop that have come through the academy kick on. That will need quality and experience around them and one year loans may well prove better than 2-3 year deals for experienced players who turn out to be no better or injured all the time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

People seem to be missing the big picture on 20:03 - Jun 27 with 2471 viewsitfcjoe

People seem to be missing the big picture on 19:56 - Jun 27 by J2BLUE

Chalobah is 18. I'm not saying he can't be a quality player but people really do tend to go massively overboard when we sign players like this.

'Tammy Abraham was the striking equivalent of Chalobah and he tore it up at this level.'

That's how football works *sarcastic thumbs up*

It's also much easier to make an impact as a striker - because you can have a few stinkers and it doesn't really matter....you just get subbed off and it gets forgotten about.

People need to realise that Chalobah is at Maitland-Niles level of development - he'll have some good games, some bad games, will look a player at times and go missing in others - but ultimately he is very, very unlikely to get through 46 games in this league where it is relentless.

Only 3 teenagers played more than 2000 minutes in the league last season (About 22 games) - the ridiculous Ryan Sessegnon, Ben Brereton and Ronaldo Vieira - teenage CBs at this level are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

People seem to be missing the big picture on 20:08 - Jun 27 with 2448 viewsJ2BLUE

People seem to be missing the big picture on 20:03 - Jun 27 by itfcjoe

It's also much easier to make an impact as a striker - because you can have a few stinkers and it doesn't really matter....you just get subbed off and it gets forgotten about.

People need to realise that Chalobah is at Maitland-Niles level of development - he'll have some good games, some bad games, will look a player at times and go missing in others - but ultimately he is very, very unlikely to get through 46 games in this league where it is relentless.

Only 3 teenagers played more than 2000 minutes in the league last season (About 22 games) - the ridiculous Ryan Sessegnon, Ben Brereton and Ronaldo Vieira - teenage CBs at this level are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Whenever we sign someone like this everyone is an expert on him. You're one of the only people I actually believe had heard of him a week ago. This reminds me of when Mings left and within one day people had convinced themselves Parr was actually the better player anyway.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024