Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One player up front? 17:41 - Nov 12 with 2975 viewslexiep7

I have noticed both managers (Paul hurst and Paul lambert) have opted for one player up top. I just can’t see us scoring with only one striker. I think we need to up top ( preferably sears and Roberts) your thoughts on this?

Poll: Best strike force in the club?

One player up front? on 17:45 - Nov 12 with 2961 viewsSomethingBlue

To be honest I think people make too big a deal of this — it's how almost everyone plays nowadays and it's how we've often played before as well. I do take the point that we are particularly light on threat through the middle but would also say that if the wide men and midfielders are deployed correctly it shouldn't matter as much. Think we've seen in the last two games that Lambert can get the current shape working well.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

One player up front? on 17:46 - Nov 12 with 2950 viewschicoazul

I just dont think we have the midfielders for 2 up front.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

One player up front? on 17:49 - Nov 12 with 2937 viewsJ2BLUE

We're going to be grinding results out until at least January so I don't think we'll see two strikers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

One player up front? on 17:52 - Nov 12 with 2924 viewschicoazul

One player up front? on 17:45 - Nov 12 by SomethingBlue

To be honest I think people make too big a deal of this — it's how almost everyone plays nowadays and it's how we've often played before as well. I do take the point that we are particularly light on threat through the middle but would also say that if the wide men and midfielders are deployed correctly it shouldn't matter as much. Think we've seen in the last two games that Lambert can get the current shape working well.

Give me a Marshall Mathie partnership rather than a False 9 inside out winger and a wide target man any day of the week luv, i'm a man of simple tastes.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 17:52]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

One player up front? on 17:53 - Nov 12 with 2915 viewsblueislander

Didn't we have two strikers on Saturday?
One player up front? on 17:53 - Nov 12 with 2918 viewsHerbivore

It's one up when we don't have the ball and three when we do, it's how lots of sides operate now. You say you can't see us scoring playing this way but we've bagged three goals in Lambert's first two games and should have scored more on Saturday.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

One player up front? on 18:35 - Nov 12 with 2830 viewsGuthrum

I would have said we had three up top on Saturday. Certainly Sears, Roberts and Edwards were all spearheading attacks.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

One player up front? on 18:41 - Nov 12 with 2817 viewsSuperblue95

Our midfield options are better than our striker options so it makes sense to only play one up top. If we had two decent strikers they would both play

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

One player up front? on 10:48 - Nov 13 with 2601 viewsArnieM

But is it just one up front?

On Saturday the interplay between Edwards, Roberts and Sears, was brilliant to watch in the first half. With Sears and Edwards playing well forward, it was really 3 up front. Under Hurst this just didn’t really seem to happen.

Maybe down to players knowing their specific jobs?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

One player up front? on 10:52 - Nov 13 with 2596 viewsflimflam

If you ignore the 3 goals scored in 2 games then yes I agree with you.

4 - 5 - 1 without the ball
4 - 3 - 3 with the ball

Standard these days although a lot of teams reverting back to 4 - 4 -2 nowadays
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 10:54]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

One player up front? on 13:05 - Nov 13 with 2496 viewsKeaneish

One player up front? on 18:35 - Nov 12 by Guthrum

I would have said we had three up top on Saturday. Certainly Sears, Roberts and Edwards were all spearheading attacks.

It's a non issue if we have players who have the legs to play up top as a three and then drop in to make a five across the middle. They're like modern day wing backs.

For those who weren't there Saturday, Sears and Edwards were excellent first half and during the second until they tired.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

One player up front? on 13:55 - Nov 13 with 2432 viewsitfcjoe

Just need to watch the game rather than worry what formation looks like drawn down on a pece of paper.

There is a huge difference between the 1 up front under Hurst where the striker was totally isolated with no one close and how it has been so far under Lambert - Roberts was the target from the goal kick with Sears 15 metres behind him to pick up the flick on.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

One player up front? on 18:24 - Nov 13 with 2332 viewsWickets

One player up front? on 13:55 - Nov 13 by itfcjoe

Just need to watch the game rather than worry what formation looks like drawn down on a pece of paper.

There is a huge difference between the 1 up front under Hurst where the striker was totally isolated with no one close and how it has been so far under Lambert - Roberts was the target from the goal kick with Sears 15 metres behind him to pick up the flick on.

Very true and add to that other players busting a gut to get into the box when possible . In the 2 games under Lambert we have been much much better.
One player up front? on 18:50 - Nov 13 with 2316 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

In modern day football its very common for teams to play with one centre forward. The idea behind which in modern football is playing through the thirds, controlling the midfield by which allowing time for attack minded players to support with and beyond the centre forward.
Realistically Town under Lambert are actually playing a 3 up front because Sears and Edwards are playing as natural wingers, as high as i have seen any wingers under Hurst or McCarthy.

Under PH, we were operating in a 4-1-4-1, quite rigid and had Skuse and Jon Nolan as advanced midfielders (ridiculously) and Edwards and Ward as disciplined wide midfielders not wingers. Only later on in almost desperation did he move Ward and Edwards higher but even then were not playing as attack minded as Lambert has Sears and Edwards.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024