Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket question 17:47 - Jun 4 with 1674 viewsITFCson

I’m completely new to cricket, after betting on Pakistan yesterday I thought I’d watch some cricket for the first time in my life and was surprised that I quite enjoyed it.

So I’ve been watching today...after rain the revised amount of overs was 41 per team. Sri Lanka were all out for 201. However despite also been given 41 overs Afghanistan were given a revised target of 187. Why is this please? Is it because the bowlers have a advantage just by having the knowledge that the opponents only have 41 overs? (And despite Sri Lanka only had 41 also when the game started it was presumed they’d have 50 so the Afghan bowlers didn’t have to same advantage?)

Cricket question on 17:51 - Jun 4 with 1650 viewscatch74

Hope this helps!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth%E2%80%93Lewis%E2%80%93Stern_method

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Cricket question on 17:53 - Jun 4 with 1647 viewsGuthrum

Yes, pretty much.

Duckworth-Lewis is incredibly complicated as a way of working out revised totals, but seems to work very well.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket question on 17:54 - Jun 4 with 1643 viewshampstead_blue

As a lifelong cricket lover I would recommend you tune into TMS- Test Match Special.

It's on 5live Sports Extra.

You will be amused, entertained, and loved.

It is radio as it should be....awesome......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cricket question on 17:56 - Jun 4 with 1635 viewsGuthrum

Cricket question on 17:54 - Jun 4 by hampstead_blue

As a lifelong cricket lover I would recommend you tune into TMS- Test Match Special.

When I was a child, my father would have cricket on the TV, with the sound off and TMS on the radio for the commentary.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 17:56]

Cricket question on 17:56 - Jun 4 with 1629 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah you've got it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket question on 18:00 - Jun 4 with 1628 viewsReuser_is_God

It's good but they do have some absolute berks on there.

Swann is insufferable.

Evans out

Cricket question on 18:10 - Jun 4 with 1607 viewsITFCson

Thanks for the replies, I’ve always seen cricket as a boring sport and although I may still need to be completely convinced it’s a lot more exciting than I gave it credit for. As someone who enjoys a bet the high fluctuations in price in play in this Afghan game suggest it’s a game of ups and downs and sudden swings in momentum.
Cricket question on 18:11 - Jun 4 with 1588 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket question on 18:10 - Jun 4 by ITFCson

Thanks for the replies, I’ve always seen cricket as a boring sport and although I may still need to be completely convinced it’s a lot more exciting than I gave it credit for. As someone who enjoys a bet the high fluctuations in price in play in this Afghan game suggest it’s a game of ups and downs and sudden swings in momentum.

Yeah, games often have a great ebb & flow.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket question on 18:15 - Jun 4 with 1582 viewsBlueBadger

TMS justifies the licence fee on its own.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cricket question on 18:21 - Jun 4 with 1567 viewshampstead_blue

Cricket question on 17:56 - Jun 4 by Guthrum

When I was a child, my father would have cricket on the TV, with the sound off and TMS on the radio for the commentary.

a lot of the Sky cricket production team used to play cricket at Hampstead. Great bunch.

They told me they had nipped this by delaying the broadcast.

I still have TMS on if it's a dull game. Would much rather have Aggers et all in my ears than Sky

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cricket question on 18:24 - Jun 4 with 1559 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket question on 18:21 - Jun 4 by hampstead_blue

a lot of the Sky cricket production team used to play cricket at Hampstead. Great bunch.

They told me they had nipped this by delaying the broadcast.

I still have TMS on if it's a dull game. Would much rather have Aggers et all in my ears than Sky

TMS is great but the sky cricket team are pretty on it too.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cricket question on 18:24 - Jun 4 with 1557 viewsChurchman

If you get the chance to actually go to a game, do so. It’s a great laugh. The game is almost incidental to chilling out, the crowd and the beer. A lot of beer. If it rains, you head to the bar. What’s not to like? The big games usually have a screen to show the game/replays etc.

I also recommend the Lords tour. One of the great sporting venues with a unique atmosphere.
Cricket question on 18:35 - Jun 4 with 1528 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket can seem tedious in the middle of a big partnership at a slow rate in something like a test match but once you understand and appreciate the full context even then it can be interesting. As exciting as most limited over matches are to watch, there is nothing to compare to a close finish to a test match where 2 or even all 3 options are in play on the final day.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket question on 20:11 - Jun 4 with 1459 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket question on 18:24 - Jun 4 by vapour_trail

TMS is great but the sky cricket team are pretty on it too.

But then you miss Geoffrey bemoaning Raymond Illingworth for bringing his 1st class average down after choosing to bat on soggy dog wicket in Melbourne!
Cricket question on 20:16 - Jun 4 with 1443 viewsSpruceMoose

Welcome to the confusing world of Duckworth-Lewis!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Cricket question on 20:18 - Jun 4 with 1442 viewscaught-in-limbo

Cricket question on 17:56 - Jun 4 by Guthrum

Mine too.

I also remember going gown into the kitchen in the small hours of the morning and finding my dad glued to the radio listening to an England v Windies test live from the Caribbean.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Cricket question on 20:21 - Jun 4 with 1432 viewsSpruceMoose

Cricket question on 20:18 - Jun 4 by caught-in-limbo

Mine too.

I also remember going gown into the kitchen in the small hours of the morning and finding my dad glued to the radio listening to an England v Windies test live from the Caribbean.

Same. My family was a big cricket family so growing up I reall developed a love for the game. My father and uncles would be considered reasonably well known in the Suffolk cricket community way back when, so it was always a feature in day to day life.

It's still a hugely nostalgic sport for me and despite all the crazy changes, one I'm still really affectionate towards.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Cricket question on 20:25 - Jun 4 with 1429 viewsgordon

It was a lower total because Sri Lanka were almost all out anyway when it rained and overs were lost. If it hadn't rained, Sri Lankas total would have been about the same, and Afghanistan might have been chasing e.g. about 200 from the full 50 overs. So the total was reduced to account for the fact that Afghanistan only had 41 overs to chase.
Cricket question on 20:40 - Jun 4 with 1397 viewscaught-in-limbo

Cricket question on 20:21 - Jun 4 by SpruceMoose

Same. My family was a big cricket family so growing up I reall developed a love for the game. My father and uncles would be considered reasonably well known in the Suffolk cricket community way back when, so it was always a feature in day to day life.

It's still a hugely nostalgic sport for me and despite all the crazy changes, one I'm still really affectionate towards.

I think one of my Dad's happiest days was when my mum introduced him to Kapil Dev. I wish I had been there to see it.

#toxic

Cricket question on 20:41 - Jun 4 with 1394 viewsSpruceMoose

Cricket question on 20:40 - Jun 4 by caught-in-limbo

I think one of my Dad's happiest days was when my mum introduced him to Kapil Dev. I wish I had been there to see it.

Talking of all time greats, this was a good read

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jun/04/brian-lara-unbeaten-501-25-ye

Cricket question on 21:00 - Jun 4 with 1343 viewsPinewoodblue

Cricket question on 20:18 - Jun 4 by caught-in-limbo

Mine too.

More likely to have been Australia than West Indies. Test matches in Caribbean usually end by 10.30pm UK time.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cricket question on 21:14 - Jun 4 with 1323 viewsGuthrum

Lots to take into account.

For example, a wicket falling may seem like a bad thing. But it might bring in a batsman who is on better form or whose style is to score faster (or who is cool-headed and can halt a collapse).

Cricket question on 21:20 - Jun 4 with 1296 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cricket question on 20:25 - Jun 4 by gordon

It was a lower total because Sri Lanka were almost all out anyway when it rained and overs were lost. If it hadn't rained, Sri Lankas total would have been about the same, and Afghanistan might have been chasing e.g. about 200 from the full 50 overs. So the total was reduced to account for the fact that Afghanistan only had 41 overs to chase.

Best explanation yet and far more concise than I could have put it

Just to blow the OP’s mind, if Sri Lanka had only lost say 1 wicket then Afghanistan would have been given a higher score (higher than the score SL had at the time) to chase, as the model would have assumed SL would have increased their score considerably in the remaining overs, given the wicket in hand. So would have given Afghanistan the advantage if they were given the opportunity to chase the same score knowing their 10 wickets only had to last 41 overs

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Cricket question on 21:21 - Jun 4 with 1291 viewscaught-in-limbo

Cricket question on 21:00 - Jun 4 by Pinewoodblue

More likely to have been Australia than West Indies. Test matches in Caribbean usually end by 10.30pm UK time.

It was way past my bedtime anyway.

#toxic

Cricket question on 21:22 - Jun 4 with 1284 viewssparks

Cricket question on 20:41 - Jun 4 by SpruceMoose

Talking of all time greats, this was a good read

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jun/04/brian-lara-unbeaten-501-25-ye

I was there on the day he started the innings. Revising for exams on the closest thing Brum has to a beach...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024