Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR 00:48 - Jun 22 with 4281 viewsJ2BLUE

They just had the longest review i've ever seen in Chile game. The keeper rushed out, kicked the air, the Ecuador player went down and rolled around like he had been shot. I expected him to get booked for diving but the ref gave them a free kick and booked the keeper.

The most stunning VAR misuse since last night in the Uruguay game where apparently all contact is now illegal and results in a penalty. I had bet on Uruguay but it was never a penalty.

We need to kill VAR. It's absolutely sh1te.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 00:54 - Jun 22 with 4267 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Agree, VAR will completely change football from the game we all grew up with and love. It'll rip the soul out of it, the Women's World Cup has been a farce at times due to it and you only know instead of being used fleetingly, once it gets a hold of the game VAR will be used at every available turn.

We need a united front in England for starters and then we can join with similar movements in other countries to kill it off before if sticks it's fangs in for good.

Premier league fans need to have organised boycotts of games, get players who are against it involved, managers, celebrity fans. VAR has to be defeated.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 00:55 - Jun 22 with 4271 viewsfactual_blue

It's being used because it works in other sports. What the footballing world doesn't grasp is that most of its laws are based on intent. In other sports, cricket, and rugby the basis of the laws and infringements are qualitatively different; was his hand on the ball or not, etc etc. These are matters of fact, not opinion. 'Was that intentional handball?' is a matter of opinion, and you can never use VAR for that. The technology works fine for 'did the ball cross the line? decisions in football, but little else.

It's here to stay though I suspect.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 00:58 - Jun 22 with 4263 viewsJ2BLUE

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 00:55 - Jun 22 by factual_blue

It's being used because it works in other sports. What the footballing world doesn't grasp is that most of its laws are based on intent. In other sports, cricket, and rugby the basis of the laws and infringements are qualitatively different; was his hand on the ball or not, etc etc. These are matters of fact, not opinion. 'Was that intentional handball?' is a matter of opinion, and you can never use VAR for that. The technology works fine for 'did the ball cross the line? decisions in football, but little else.

Agree. Goal line technology is fantastic. VAR is absolutely ridiculous. It took perhaps two replays to see the keeper kicked the air. I couldn't believe they told the ref to actually watch it but for him to then give them the free kick and the keeper the yellow card..

If the penalty to Uruguay was really a penalty then football is now a non contact sport. VAR was a good idea when we thought it would help get the right decisions. It doesn't, it's awful.

Truly impaired.

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 07:35 - Jun 22 with 4112 viewsPendejo

Surely VAR is there to ensure decisions are correct, fair and beyond reproach.

From ITFC's own history I can pinpoint the following where VAR would have come out in our favour;-

Early 70s Chelsea goal linked on this site the other day

1975 FA Semi V West Ham

Disallowed goal away at Barcelona [1st season we played them]

A Naaridge player should have been sent off in MC SF 2nd leg

The incident @ West Ham that led to Butcher smashing a door in the dressing room

That Bob Hamer decision v Liverpool in 92

and against us...

Bristol Rovers in 78... we would have been out and not won the FA Cup

What you describe appears to be incompetence on the part of the persons making the decision... if there was not connection; i.e. Chile goalkeeper air kicked and Ecuador player dived but decision still made... then it comes down to competence.

For me the VAR decision should be made in seconds, and if it can't then stand by referees original decision. But for clear injustices, surely VAR is a tool for good.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 07:43 - Jun 22 with 4094 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 07:35 - Jun 22 by Pendejo

From ITFC's own history I can pinpoint the following where VAR would have come out in our favour;-

1975 FA Semi V West Ham

The incident @ West Ham that led to Butcher smashing a door in the dressing room

and against us...

What you describe appears to be incompetence on the part of the persons making the decision... if there was not connection; i.e. Chile goalkeeper air kicked and Ecuador player dived but decision still made... then it comes down to competence.

For me the VAR decision should be made in seconds, and if it can't then stand by referees original decision. But for clear injustices, surely VAR is a tool for good.

^ this

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 08:47 - Jun 22 with 4026 viewsCBBlue

They've changed the rules mid-tornament about goalkeepers coming off their line at penalties - they now won't get booked if it happens during penalty shoot outs - so basically admitting it's a crap rule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48723902

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 08:58 - Jun 22 with 4009 viewsRadlett_blue

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 00:55 - Jun 22 by factual_blue

TV reviews work well in cricket as it is a stop start game & as you say, most of the reviews are trying to establish fact e.g. did the batsman edge the ball?
However, I think it's become a farce in rugby union as the laws of that game are far more complicated & open to interpretation. They can't even agree what constitutes a forward pass, for example. It would have been fine in rugby if it had been restricted to factual matters e.g. was the ball grounded fairly, did a player have a foot in touch?
It's the same with football, especially regarding possible penalty kick decisions but made far worse by the fact that a goal is a far more valuable currency that a try in rugby.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 09:18 - Jun 22 with 3985 viewsCoastalblue

One thing I couldn't work out the other evening watching the Scots' ladies penalty decisions, does the clock stop for VAR?

It appeared as though it didn't, that's a big opportunity for abuse there if that is the case, winning team happy to make sly fouls that could burn up time.

I haven't watched many games using it so I could be wrong.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:05 - Jun 22 with 3942 viewsGuthrum

In football, the extreme concentration on cerain types of infringement (particularly those resulting in the award of a penalty) has overly magnified the element of "intent".

It is not a case of "did the ball hit his arm?" so much as "did the player intend for it to happen, was that arm in an unusual position and was there reasonable time to react?". The second, necessarily, has an element of subjectivity. Which is fine when making a split-second decision on the pitch, but becomes tortuous when mulled over at leisure in slow motion.

With players habitually going to ground at the slightest hint of contact in the box, it becomes tricky to see (from a still limited number of angles) how much, if any, was actually made.

What needs to happen is a system similar to American Football and Rugby where, after a limited time, if there is no clear reason to overturn the on-field ruling, it is confirmed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:09 - Jun 22 with 3925 viewsfooters

To the advertising hoardings, comrades! The fifth football international will not tolerate this any longer.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:20 - Jun 22 with 3901 viewsPendejo

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:05 - Jun 22 by Guthrum

In football, the extreme concentration on cerain types of infringement (particularly those resulting in the award of a penalty) has overly magnified the element of "intent".

It is not a case of "did the ball hit his arm?" so much as "did the player intend for it to happen, was that arm in an unusual position and was there reasonable time to react?". The second, necessarily, has an element of subjectivity. Which is fine when making a split-second decision on the pitch, but becomes tortuous when mulled over at leisure in slow motion.

With players habitually going to ground at the slightest hint of contact in the box, it becomes tricky to see (from a still limited number of angles) how much, if any, was actually made.

What needs to happen is a system similar to American Football and Rugby where, after a limited time, if there is no clear reason to overturn the on-field ruling, it is confirmed.

Given the tech available these days... it is not beyond all possibilities of coming up with a system that can tell when contact is made and where on the body.

Tech is already used to track players movements throughout a game, as I understand it [those little lumps between the shoulder blades]

Which would at least justify the cost of football kit these days.

Last paragraph agrees with my point.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:26 - Jun 22 with 3887 viewsRadlett_blue

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:20 - Jun 22 by Pendejo

Given the tech available these days... it is not beyond all possibilities of coming up with a system that can tell when contact is made and where on the body.

Tech is already used to track players movements throughout a game, as I understand it [those little lumps between the shoulder blades]

Contact is not necessarily a foul. If it is, then football becomes a poor version of netball.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 10:30 - Jun 22 with 3886 viewsGuthrum

It would be very difficult to have anything sensitive enough to pick up some of the "trips" which cause strikers to fall over in the box.

For me, it just needs a tighening up of the rules to be more in line with the laws of physics, where it takes an appreciable force to significantly deflect an object travelling with considerable momentum, not molecular levels of contact. In other words, not "did one player's leg brush against the other?", but "was it directly in front and actually tipped him over?".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 12:24 - Jun 22 with 3822 viewsfactual_blue

The other issue is that often the slow motion view of an incident clouds rather than clarifies.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 12:27 - Jun 22 with 3816 viewsNazemariner

Fans don't matter anymore. Its all about the viewers don't you know!
Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 13:10 - Jun 22 with 3787 viewsJ2BLUE

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 07:35 - Jun 22 by Pendejo

1975 FA Semi V West Ham

and against us...

This is precisely my point, you can't pinpoint it because often the decisions are completely wrong.

Truly impaired.

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 13:16 - Jun 22 with 3779 viewshampstead_blue

I think you have to include some kind of element of discretion for the ref.

Umpires call in cricket is such a way of doing so.

I'm a fan of technology in sport. Anything to stop that prig Neymar and his ilk rolling around like they've been stung by a hornet on their Japs eye!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Fans around the world need to unite to kill VAR on 14:36 - Jun 22 with 3715 viewsbahri

And why are there (what) three referees in the studio with about twelve television's ?
Do they vote on a particular decision?

And why are they in full kit a la John Terry?

redandella

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024