Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuart Watson is spot on here 17:00 - Nov 10 with 3555 viewsActionMan

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/stuart-watson-s-verdict-itfc-1-lincoln-

I do not always agree with some of his articles but this is spot on. We've shown the competition absolutely no respect over the last decade and continue to fail to compete despite all the talk of taking it seriously. I stand by the fact we wouldn't be having to shut half of the ground down for an FA Cup game if we hadn't failed to turn up for a decade.
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 17:30 - Nov 10 with 3383 viewsbraveblue

Hard to argue with that.
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 17:55 - Nov 10 with 3308 viewsTheBoyBlue

Spot on apart from his use of 'lesser' rather than 'fewer'. Which considering his profession is poor. Otherwise, I can't disagree at all.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 18:40 - Nov 10 with 3166 viewsSitfcB

I’d like Phil to do a weekly opinion piece on here each week, always thought that.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 18:59 - Nov 10 with 3101 viewsRomeo4

Someone may tell me differently but I expect the manager is financially incentivised to get us promoted and not have a cup run. Little wonder he (& the last manager) prioritises the league matches to the detriment of the cups.
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 20:24 - Nov 10 with 2880 viewsMisterBlue

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 18:59 - Nov 10 by Romeo4

Someone may tell me differently but I expect the manager is financially incentivised to get us promoted and not have a cup run. Little wonder he (& the last manager) prioritises the league matches to the detriment of the cups.

to be honest, not sure the last manager prioritised on the league!!
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 20:42 - Nov 10 with 2811 viewsPinewoodblue

We probably had the highest attendance of all the weekends cup games,

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 20:44 - Nov 10 with 2804 viewssuffolkpoker

With our injury record I would be wrapping them up as well.
I personally don’t care how long off they have and will have off.

Lambert should only be thinking about going up, ideally as champions... really nothing else matters this year.

If that’s the sake of ALL the cups this year, fine by me.

Managers job is league position... when do we talk about the Carlsberg cup semi (vs Arsenal)?
I know we mention MM being top 6 (once)...

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 21:42 - Nov 10 with 2698 viewsGuthrum

People talk about a weakened team as if we'd put out a collection of raw U23s. But that's simply not true.

Three of yesterday's team had made 7 or more League starts this season. Another four had two or more. All had made at least one League start apart from Georgiou, who has come off the bench in 8 of our 17 League games. Huws has made 5 sub appearances, Keane 3. Even when not playing, members of that team are frequently on the bench.

Plus the squad list contained names which the fans are often calling for the Manager to pick - Dozzell, Dobra, Huws, Georgiou. Public opinion, too, seems to consider them to be of decent quality.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 22:46 - Nov 10 with 2570 viewsVaughan8

I was expecting a half first team and half squad players.

Seemed strange he brought Norwood on with 4 mins plus added Time? If he didn’t wanna risk an injury why bring him on at all?

Just some strange selections. I’m guessing the same team for the replay.....
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 23:41 - Nov 10 with 2493 viewsStNeotsBlue

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 21:42 - Nov 10 by Guthrum

People talk about a weakened team as if we'd put out a collection of raw U23s. But that's simply not true.

Three of yesterday's team had made 7 or more League starts this season. Another four had two or more. All had made at least one League start apart from Georgiou, who has come off the bench in 8 of our 17 League games. Huws has made 5 sub appearances, Keane 3. Even when not playing, members of that team are frequently on the bench.

Plus the squad list contained names which the fans are often calling for the Manager to pick - Dozzell, Dobra, Huws, Georgiou. Public opinion, too, seems to consider them to be of decent quality.

Looking at from another angle it is a big ask for a team who haven't played together to play like a cohesive team. I understand we are focusing on the league but I don't think I'm being greedy wishing for a 1st FA cup victory in over a decade.
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 00:15 - Nov 11 with 2460 viewsGuthrum

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 23:41 - Nov 10 by StNeotsBlue

Looking at from another angle it is a big ask for a team who haven't played together to play like a cohesive team. I understand we are focusing on the league but I don't think I'm being greedy wishing for a 1st FA cup victory in over a decade.

I don't think it is greedy, my point being that the team was perhaps not as suicidally weak (or that far from the League matchday squad) as is being implied.

It's probably more unusual that a third tier club like Lincoln fielded a full-strength, first string team in the first round proper of the Cup. Maybe seeking to ambush us and claim a scalp, or possibly a product of their recent non-League heritage (tho they have changed managers since then).

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 06:54 - Nov 11 with 2271 viewsCotton_eyed_joe

Personally I think PL put out that team on Sat with a view to the leasing.com on tues. Under the rules he couldn't make vast changes to basically play the under 23s Tues without making big changes on Sat.

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.
7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:
7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

on Tuesday PL can now put on a very under strength team with no restrictions. The team on Saturday could and should have won but we didn't turn up for the 1st half something we seem to do every game.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 6:56]
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 07:12 - Nov 11 with 2222 viewsBloomBlue

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 06:54 - Nov 11 by Cotton_eyed_joe

Personally I think PL put out that team on Sat with a view to the leasing.com on tues. Under the rules he couldn't make vast changes to basically play the under 23s Tues without making big changes on Sat.

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.
7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

on Tuesday PL can now put on a very under strength team with no restrictions. The team on Saturday could and should have won but we didn't turn up for the 1st half something we seem to do every game.

I must admit a guy sitting near me in the ground on Sat was making that same point at H/T that if PL had put out a full strength team he couldnt play an under strength team on Tues because of the rules around the cup competition. While another fan argued that rule excluded FA cup games.
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 07:38 - Nov 11 with 2170 viewsSteve_M

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 21:42 - Nov 10 by Guthrum

It's the number of changes made though rather than any particular weakness of the individual players. All of those who started, with the exception of Dobra, have shown themselves capable of League 1 football and most of those can be ok in the Championship too.

With that many changes though it's much more difficult to perform, the same error/deliberate decision that McCarthy made for virtually every cup match. It's not a coincidence that we finally started to play well after about an hour on Saturday.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 07:53 - Nov 11 with 2132 viewsITFC_Forever

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 22:46 - Nov 10 by Vaughan8

I was expecting a half first team and half squad players.

Seemed strange he brought Norwood on with 4 mins plus added Time? If he didn’t wanna risk an injury why bring him on at all?

Just some strange selections. I’m guessing the same team for the replay.....

To try and nab a late goal to avoid a replay.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 07:53 - Nov 11 with 2132 viewsITFC_Forever

Back-fired slightly as the club then had to open parts of the ground it wasn’t planning to.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 08:31 - Nov 11 with 2036 viewsKeaneish

Here here. Agreed. Nonsense decision and PL loses some of the credit in the bank. Rearranged fixtures and squad rotation had been made so much of recently it’ll no doubt come back to haunt us at some point.

Pluses were the performances of a few who have been cast out but marginal cause for optimism in what should have been a stroll.

Well, at least we’re in the draw tonight. Thanks Will!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 08:32 - Nov 11 with 2032 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 07:12 - Nov 11 by BloomBlue

I must admit a guy sitting near me in the ground on Sat was making that same point at H/T that if PL had put out a full strength team he couldnt play an under strength team on Tues because of the rules around the cup competition. While another fan argued that rule excluded FA cup games.

Possibly true, but breaching that rule is a hefty £5k fine maximum, so it shouldn’t really play a part in any team selection decisions

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 09:35 - Nov 11 with 1875 viewsGuthrum

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 06:54 - Nov 11 by Cotton_eyed_joe

You missed off the other qualifying criteria:

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

In those three categories alone, only Dozzell and Dobra out of Saturday's starting eleven would not qualify, despite the ten changes. Unless you put out just your U23 side, it's actually more difficult to fail the test than to pass it.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 9:50]

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 09:38 - Nov 11 with 1863 viewsChocorange

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 08:32 - Nov 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Possibly true, but breaching that rule is a hefty £5k fine maximum, so it shouldn’t really play a part in any team selection decisions

And getting through to the 2nd /3rd round by picking a stronger team would easily make enough to compensate for the 5k .

Does seem to indicate , we will be playing a very young team at Col U, if we then lose we look to be most likely facing a long away trip to the West Country in a upcoming midweek.
Stuart Watson is spot on here on 09:48 - Nov 11 with 1832 viewsGuthrum

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 07:38 - Nov 11 by Steve_M

It's the number of changes made though rather than any particular weakness of the individual players. All of those who started, with the exception of Dobra, have shown themselves capable of League 1 football and most of those can be ok in the Championship too.

With that many changes though it's much more difficult to perform, the same error/deliberate decision that McCarthy made for virtually every cup match. It's not a coincidence that we finally started to play well after about an hour on Saturday.

Indeed. Altho, traditionally, everyone else (barring hopeful giant-killers) also make numerous changes for early-round Cup games. Lincoln were unusual in not doing so - perhaps why they have such a good record in cups over recent seasons.

The other issue is how to rest your most valuable players and get game time into the others without making wholesale changes on the relatively few occasions which are available (between one and three EFL Cup matches*, maybe the same in the FA Cup* and, at a lower level, three to eight in the EFL Trophy).

* Before pretty much certainly being knocked out by some Prem outfit.

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 10:19 - Nov 11 with 1766 viewsAlanRetentive

Stuart Watson is spot on here on 17:55 - Nov 10 by TheBoyBlue

Spot on apart from his use of 'lesser' rather than 'fewer'. Which considering his profession is poor. Otherwise, I can't disagree at all.

I quite agree. It is a reprehensible desecration of the Queen's English. How can this still be happening in this day and age?

However, could I also point out that he used the word 'less' rather than 'lesser' in his original article, as you mistakenly quote.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024