Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? 09:47 - Dec 15 with 1670 viewsChrisd

I hear and read this an awful lot, 'We have so much quality and depth in our squad we should be doing this or that in this league, we're only playing in second gear etc...' If our side is full of quality, then it's massively underwhelming how we have performed this season (not league position, but displays). I'm taking my ITFC spectacles off and trying to be honest, I look at our squad and agree we have a sprinkling of quality throughout, but it's awfully bloated and there's also a lot of deadwood that PL still needs to offload. Lets not forget, a lot of this squad finished bottom of the Championship last season, 13 points adrift of safety. Perhaps we aren't as good as what a lot of us thought and have completely over-egged our expectations because they wear a blue shirt they should be the best in L1, but in reality they simply aren't. Personally, I think PL would be better suited having a smaller pool of players to select from so his judgement and options are restricted.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 9:53]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 09:50 - Dec 15 with 1653 viewsHerbivore

Yes, we have tons of quality and depth for this level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 09:53 - Dec 15 with 1627 viewspointofblue

Central midfield should be too good for League One but in reality that’s it. Defence is acceptable when everyone’s fit, we have little talent out wide and our first choice strikers have only one full season of football above League Two level between them. Keane is coming back from another injury and could break at any time; Sears is returning from a long term lay off.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 10:00 - Dec 15 with 1609 viewsdavblue

It’s not a balanced squad, that’s the big issue, genuine wide players are lacking and players who are more suited to central positions are being used out wide.
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 10:07 - Dec 15 with 1592 viewsr2d2

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 09:50 - Dec 15 by Herbivore

We have a big squad. All a bit lightweight. The quality people keep banging on about isnt there. We are rather powder puff. We need brutes for this league. We have fairies.
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 10:11 - Dec 15 with 1583 viewstractorboy1978

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 09:53 - Dec 15 by pointofblue

Central midfield should be too good for League One but in reality that’s it. Defence is acceptable when everyone’s fit, we have little talent out wide and our first choice strikers have only one full season of football above League Two level between them. Keane is coming back from another injury and could break at any time; Sears is returning from a long term lay off.

Peterborough aside, the rest of the teams in this league would bite your hand off for a front pairing of Jackson and Norwood.
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 10:48 - Dec 15 with 1530 viewsWickets

From what i have seen best squad in the league but Pboro maybe have better strikers .
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:00 - Dec 15 with 1516 viewsChrisd

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 10:00 - Dec 15 by davblue

It’s not a balanced squad, that’s the big issue, genuine wide players are lacking and players who are more suited to central positions are being used out wide.

Good point Davblue and for the talent that PL has got available, he hasn't moulded it into a particularly good team.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:02 - Dec 15 with 1503 viewsonlymehere

Average at best.
Login to get fewer ads

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:12 - Dec 15 with 1484 viewsitfcjoe

Yes, we have players that would walk into most teams. But we aren't getting close to exceeding, let alone matching, the sum of our parts.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:27 - Dec 15 with 1448 viewsreusersfreekicks

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 09:50 - Dec 15 by Herbivore

Precisely, not getting anyway near the best out of the players. Apart from Downes, Jackson and maybe Wolfenden noone has improved of late
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:30 - Dec 15 with 1440 viewsLankHenners

Comfortably.

All this ‘are the players really good enough?’ is just letting the manager off the hook.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:32 - Dec 15 with 1435 viewsreusersfreekicks

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 10:07 - Dec 15 by r2d2

We have a big squad. All a bit lightweight. The quality people keep banging on about isnt there. We are rather powder puff. We need brutes for this league. We have fairies.

Nonsense
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 11:32]
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:33 - Dec 15 with 1431 viewsreusersfreekicks

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:12 - Dec 15 by itfcjoe

Yes, we have players that would walk into most teams. But we aren't getting close to exceeding, let alone matching, the sum of our parts.

Spot on. PL seems unable to consistently get the best out of them or impose a positive style/system
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 12:29 - Dec 15 with 1359 viewsdavblue

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:00 - Dec 15 by Chrisd

Good point Davblue and for the talent that PL has got available, he hasn't moulded it into a particularly good team.

He was never going to get everything sorted in his 1st proper transfer window, this was always going to be 3 or 4 windows to settle things down. As much as Lambert is isn’t a fantastic manager and he’s had his best days I don’t think sacking him would be the correct course of action I don’t have the faith that he will get us going long term.
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 15:45 - Dec 15 with 1235 viewsBlueBadger

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:00 - Dec 15 by Chrisd

He hasn't moulded any kind of 'team' at all, given his habit of apparently picking names out of a hat when choosing a team.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 16:01 - Dec 15 with 1215 viewsr2d2

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 11:32 - Dec 15 by reusersfreekicks

Nonsense
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 11:32]

Is it? I dont see anything to suggest we are much other than a mid table league 1 team so far. And its beginning to show.
Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 16:22 - Dec 15 with 1172 viewsHerbivore

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 16:01 - Dec 15 by r2d2

Is it? I dont see anything to suggest we are much other than a mid table league 1 team so far. And its beginning to show.

Moved on from political trolling now I see.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 16:48 - Dec 15 with 1144 viewsJ2BLUE

On paper it is. I do think our fans have overlooked the value of a few old hands who know the lower leagues well though. We don't need a CB based on numbers, but i'd quite like to see a no nonsense brick sh1t house brought in to partner Woolf. Someone perfectly happy to put it in row Z.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is our squad genuinely that good for L1? on 17:07 - Dec 15 with 1109 viewsGaryCooper

Yes easily, we are under performing no doubt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024