Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hancock on QT tonight 23:17 - Mar 19 with 2544 viewsmidastouch

Just seen this trending on Twitter tonight:

and:

Any thoughts on Universal Basic Income anyone? Good idea or not?
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/17/coronavirus-universal-basic-in

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:25 - Mar 19 with 2452 viewseireblue

Yes, I personally think UBI, is a good idea.

I think earlier in the week there was a discussion, about Billionaires asking for financial support of companies and industries that they had built.

And, there is supposedly a larger accumulation of wealth in a smaller proportion of people.

To me the balance between, having an environment that allows for innovation and competitive capitalism between businesses, but taking more from tax to support things like UBI is something that society should try and address.
Hancock on QT tonight on 23:41 - Mar 19 with 2410 viewsmidastouch

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:25 - Mar 19 by eireblue

I think earlier in the week there was a discussion, about Billionaires asking for financial support of companies and industries that they had built.

And, there is supposedly a larger accumulation of wealth in a smaller proportion of people.

To me the balance between, having an environment that allows for innovation and competitive capitalism between businesses, but taking more from tax to support things like UBI is something that society should try and address.

Given our current situation now would be as good a time as ever to at least try it out. Clearly there are a lot of people that are facing great hardships right now and UBI could be a real lifeline. If it were to be tested out there is even a chance it could become a permanent fixture if it proved popular enough. I understand there are arguments for and against but given the gravity of the situation we are currently in, I would think the arguments in favour of UBI hold more sway right now.

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:47 - Mar 19 with 2373 viewsJ2BLUE

Apparently there is a £1tn rescue fund?

67m Brits. £1000 per month for 6 months = £390bn. Would seem to solve a lot of problems and leave them a massive amount to target businesses with.

I used £1000 because it keeps it simple and Trump suggested sending all Americans $1000 per month. In reality I expect it would be £500 or less per person per month in this country but £1000 would solve a heck of a lot of issues. Could even have a voluntary opt out scheme where millionaires could look after themselves.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:50 - Mar 19 with 2352 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just out of interest, how much is a state pension and dole payments these days? I imagine it's been made ridiculously complicated, but just as a rough comparison.

Those TUC figures for other countries are pretty damning if true. I knew Sweden would be high, as Mrs Swanners worked out there for a while and it's a different world (higher taxes, but higher pay to offset them - she was better off out there than on a comparable job here).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:54 - Mar 19 with 2328 viewsjeera

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:50 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

Just out of interest, how much is a state pension and dole payments these days? I imagine it's been made ridiculously complicated, but just as a rough comparison.

Those TUC figures for other countries are pretty damning if true. I knew Sweden would be high, as Mrs Swanners worked out there for a while and it's a different world (higher taxes, but higher pay to offset them - she was better off out there than on a comparable job here).

JSA allowance:

"Each type of JSA pays the same 'personal allowance' each week - if you're eligible, you can get up to: £57.90 if you're 18 to 24. £73.10 if you're 25 or over. £114.85 if you claim income-related JSA as a couple."

Which should comfortably put into perspective those who claim that many are unemployed as a lifestyle choice.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:56 - Mar 19 with 2322 viewsjeera

Tell me this isn't true:

"In this case, the basic state pension is £129.20 (rising to £134.25 in 2020/21) a week (£6,718.40 a year) in 2019/20. If you're married, and both you and your partner have built up state pension, you'll get double this amount — so £258.40 a week."

How can a pension be as little as that?

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:57 - Mar 19 with 2319 viewsmidastouch

According to the DWP, the full amount of new State Pension is currently £168.60 a week. So that's just over £8,750 a year. And I imagine there are possible top ups on top of that, I'm thinking things like the winter-fuel allowance. I assume that is still going. I'm not too sure about dole payments. I thought the Universal Credits were meant to put all benefits (so in and out of work, housing benefit etc.) under one roof but we know the roll out of that has been far from smooth and subsequently caused a lot of claimants much misery.

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:58 - Mar 19 with 2309 viewsmonytowbray

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:25 - Mar 19 by eireblue

My Dad said tonight to me that Thatcher would roll in her grave if she saw the Tory party now and that’s saying something.

He also said for all her faults at least she encouraged some level of ambition in people whereas this government just seem intent in suppressing people.

Interesting points.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:03 - Mar 20 with 2277 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:56 - Mar 19 by jeera

Tell me this isn't true:

"In this case, the basic state pension is £129.20 (rising to £134.25 in 2020/21) a week (£6,718.40 a year) in 2019/20. If you're married, and both you and your partner have built up state pension, you'll get double this amount — so £258.40 a week."

Makes you wonder doesn't it. My council tax is nearly £3k a year, just under half the state pension

I thought benefits would be relatively low as well - some of those people won't have anything else to rely on either.

It's going to be a difficult time for many. Something like 1 in 3 adults has no savings as well. We're fast becoming a pile it high, sell it cheap society (including for people with all this gig economy stuff going on).

Madness.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:07 - Mar 20 with 2260 viewsmidastouch

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:56 - Mar 19 by jeera

Tell me this isn't true:

I imagine those TUC figures for sick pay (I haven't checked them out myself so I'm taking them on face value) may well be similar in terms of the size of state pensions in those countries compared to ours.
Whatever happened to all the North Sea Oil money? Look how carefully Norway managed theirs with a Sovereign Wealth Fund which will serve generations to come if not mismanaged.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-norway-swf-record/norway-wealth-fund-grows-to (although I doubt it's standing quite so pretty after the last 2 or 3 weeks with oil down to around $25 a barrel when I last looked!)
Meanwhile our North Sea gains have sadly been squandered on so many short-term measures such as tax breaks for the rich and costly conflicts (and so on)!
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 0:08]

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:10 - Mar 20 with 2248 viewsjeera

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:03 - Mar 20 by Swansea_Blue

Makes you wonder doesn't it. My council tax is nearly £3k a year, just under half the state pension

I thought benefits would be relatively low as well - some of those people won't have anything else to rely on either.

It's going to be a difficult time for many. Something like 1 in 3 adults has no savings as well. We're fast becoming a pile it high, sell it cheap society (including for people with all this gig economy stuff going on).

Madness.

No one can realistically live on those amounts - it's insane. Disgusting and downright insulting.

There's no PIP available for those of pension age either so even if disabled there's little extra help.

Maybe Pension Credits for those in the poorest bracket but I'm uncertain how that works exactly. A bit of a top-up I think but that's all [?].

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:27 - Mar 20 with 2177 viewsmidastouch

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:10 - Mar 20 by jeera

No one can realistically live on those amounts - it's insane. Disgusting and downright insulting.

There's no PIP available for those of pension age either so even if disabled there's little extra help.

Maybe Pension Credits for those in the poorest bracket but I'm uncertain how that works exactly. A bit of a top-up I think but that's all [?].

According to this (and this is no surprise!) we're not in the top 10.
https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/netherlands-has-best-pension
This article is older still but I doubt we've closed the gap (it's probably been extended) since 2015.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/03/which-best-countries-grow-old-in

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:43 - Mar 20 with 2131 viewsChurchman

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:57 - Mar 19 by midastouch

According to the DWP, the full amount of new State Pension is currently £168.60 a week. So that's just over £8,750 a year. And I imagine there are possible top ups on top of that, I'm thinking things like the winter-fuel allowance. I assume that is still going. I'm not too sure about dole payments. I thought the Universal Credits were meant to put all benefits (so in and out of work, housing benefit etc.) under one roof but we know the roll out of that has been far from smooth and subsequently caused a lot of claimants much misery.

That is correct for the New State Pension, but it’s less for people who were ‘contracted out’. They.are often be people who worked for companies that offered final salary pension schemes. For any state pension you need a min of 10 qualifying years on your national insurance record. For the max I think you need 30, but I may be wrong.
Hancock on QT tonight on 01:29 - Mar 20 with 2080 viewsOldsmoker

Hancock on QT tonight on 00:03 - Mar 20 by Swansea_Blue

Madness.

I'm a pensioner living in private accomodation.
Yes, the basic pension is poor.
I don't pay council tax as I'm below the threshold.
I get housing benefit that doesn't pay all the rent but about 80% of it.
It leaves me with £250 for the month for bills and food.
I can just about manage but Friday nights and dining out is a thing of the past. I've learnt to accept my lot and just get on with it. No regrets and no complaints (apart from those about Town).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Hancock on QT tonight on 09:28 - Mar 20 with 1794 viewsBluefish

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:47 - Mar 19 by J2BLUE

Apparently there is a £1tn rescue fund?

67m Brits. £1000 per month for 6 months = £390bn. Would seem to solve a lot of problems and leave them a massive amount to target businesses with.

I used £1000 because it keeps it simple and Trump suggested sending all Americans $1000 per month. In reality I expect it would be £500 or less per person per month in this country but £1000 would solve a heck of a lot of issues. Could even have a voluntary opt out scheme where millionaires could look after themselves.

I don't understand how that works. Why pay people of they are still earning? Would it be for both adults in the house? If not it won't come close to covering my mortgage, surely these things need to be done based on normal earning?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Hancock on QT tonight on 10:08 - Mar 20 with 1749 viewsBryanPlug

Hancock on QT tonight on 23:54 - Mar 19 by jeera

JSA allowance:

"Each type of JSA pays the same 'personal allowance' each week - if you're eligible, you can get up to: £57.90 if you're 18 to 24. £73.10 if you're 25 or over. £114.85 if you claim income-related JSA as a couple."

Which should comfortably put into perspective those who claim that many are unemployed as a lifestyle choice.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Hancock on QT tonight on 13:12 - Mar 20 with 1646 viewsjeera

Hancock on QT tonight on 10:08 - Mar 20 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Housing benefit will only pay to X amount.

You think £10 per day for an over 25 adult works out similar as people working an average wage?

That's not expendable income; bills, shopping, TV licence, running a household has to come out of that. Running a car for those who need cars. From a tenner per day.

Why make an assumption that people are out working cash-in-hand? Give over. This is for job seekers who have to show they're looking. This is what will apply to those being made redundant right now.

Strange attitude.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 21:04]

Hancock on QT tonight on 17:06 - Mar 20 with 1550 viewsmidastouch

Hancock on QT tonight on 09:28 - Mar 20 by Bluefish

I don't understand how that works. Why pay people of they are still earning? Would it be for both adults in the house? If not it won't come close to covering my mortgage, surely these things need to be done based on normal earning?

Here is a proposal for Universal Basic Income as signed by over 170 MPs and Lords today:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-universal-basic-incom
The idea does seem to be gaining more traction.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 17:07]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024