Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Family member just got laid off 10:37 - Apr 29 with 1480 viewsmonytowbray

Their employer can’t afford to pay the furlough as the money isn’t in yet. Company can’t afford to pay up front and wait. Hospitality supplier so business has pretty much stopped for them at present.

Surely someone would have figured out by now for these measures to work the money needs to be rolled out sharpish?

I don’t even know anymore. What can you do?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Family member just got laid off on 10:41 - Apr 29 with 1453 viewsitfcjoe

That’s a bit naughty, I’m currently furloughed - we applied for the money for staff last Monday and received it this Monday.

That’s an unbelievably fast turnaround and a very good IT system - even if they can’t afford to pay up front they can request people wait for the money to be received before getting their furlough pay. Employer massively in the wrong here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Family member just got laid off on 10:43 - Apr 29 with 1431 viewshomer_123

Furlough money has already been paid Callis.

We applied two weeks ago, money in the account Tuesday this week in readiness to pay wages this month.

I suggest this is the Company's issue and an admin problem their end.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 10:50]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Family member just got laid off on 10:45 - Apr 29 with 1397 viewsuefacup81

Family member just got laid off on 10:41 - Apr 29 by itfcjoe

That’s a bit naughty, I’m currently furloughed - we applied for the money for staff last Monday and received it this Monday.

That’s an unbelievably fast turnaround and a very good IT system - even if they can’t afford to pay up front they can request people wait for the money to be received before getting their furlough pay. Employer massively in the wrong here

I thought that the monies were to be paid to businesses in arrears, thereby making deferral of wages until the Government funding is received impossible?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Family member just got laid off on 10:46 - Apr 29 with 1394 viewsmonytowbray

You think the employer is fibbing then? Hmm. I spoke to a friend who got some top level legal advice from a relative and said there’s little that said the business are well within their right to let said family member go. I’d have thought there would be something in place to prevent that happening.

TWTD never forgets…

Family member just got laid off on 10:47 - Apr 29 with 1383 viewsitfcjoe

Family member just got laid off on 10:45 - Apr 29 by uefacup81

I thought that the monies were to be paid to businesses in arrears, thereby making deferral of wages until the Government funding is received impossible?

We pay weekly so receives some that had already been paid out, plus the next payment due as that is what could be applied for.

If companies can’t afford to pay until they receive it then that is understandable, but surely the staff should be paid when they receive it rather than laid off? The whole point of the scheme is to not lay people off.

Family member just got laid off on 10:49 - Apr 29 with 1367 viewsitfcjoe

Family member just got laid off on 10:46 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

You think the employer is fibbing then? Hmm. I spoke to a friend who got some top level legal advice from a relative and said there’s little that said the business are well within their right to let said family member go. I’d have thought there would be something in place to prevent that happening.

I wouldn’t say fibbing, there may be an understanding - but the whole point of the scheme is literally to stop people being laid off.

Ask yourself, would your relative rather keep their job and receive any payments due as and when the Govt pay the money across (even without knowing it’s literally a one week turnaround) or be laid off and receive nothing ever.

The employer is definitely wrong here

Family member just got laid off on 10:49 - Apr 29 with 1363 viewshomer_123

Family member just got laid off on 10:46 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

It's fair to say Furlough payments and redundancy are two very separate things.

The Gov are absolutely making quick furlough payments, to be fair, fare quicker than I thought they would. Assuming they correctly filled and filed the paperwork in time. It was actually very easy to do.

However, I certainly do know that we have clients in the airline and hospitality business that are letting people go, as furlough isn't going to be enough, not even close. One client has let 50% of their staff go, sadly, and is also then looking at further redundancies if this goes on much longer.

Family member just got laid off on 10:52 - Apr 29 with 1342 viewsmonytowbray

Family member just got laid off on 10:47 - Apr 29 by itfcjoe

We pay weekly so receives some that had already been paid out, plus the next payment due as that is what could be applied for.

If companies can’t afford to pay until they receive it then that is understandable, but surely the staff should be paid when they receive it rather than laid off? The whole point of the scheme is to not lay people off.

I did kick back at said family member saying “know your rights, etc” but they’re not like me who will happily ask hard questions and set fire to bridges over stuff like this.

Office Manager was made to do the dirty work and cried during the meeting so highly possible she’s fairy upset about the situation too.

I’m wondering if I need to tell said family member to go up the chain to the directors and challenge them as there are some mental legal implications here. But then again what are they? This is new territory for employee rights.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Family member just got laid off on 10:55 - Apr 29 with 1321 viewsmonytowbray

Family member just got laid off on 10:49 - Apr 29 by homer_123

It's fair to say Furlough payments and redundancy are two very separate things.

The Gov are absolutely making quick furlough payments, to be fair, fare quicker than I thought they would. Assuming they correctly filled and filed the paperwork in time. It was actually very easy to do.

However, I certainly do know that we have clients in the airline and hospitality business that are letting people go, as furlough isn't going to be enough, not even close. One client has let 50% of their staff go, sadly, and is also then looking at further redundancies if this goes on much longer.

Just seems a bit mad to me. I’m stating what my relative was told by their employer but there’s employers in here saying different. The furlough stuff I luckily won’t have to deal with (self employed and thankfully still earning at present) but there must be some clear lines in the sand with it all somewhere?

TWTD never forgets…

Family member just got laid off on 10:58 - Apr 29 with 1303 viewsKeno

Family member just got laid off on 10:55 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

Just seems a bit mad to me. I’m stating what my relative was told by their employer but there’s employers in here saying different. The furlough stuff I luckily won’t have to deal with (self employed and thankfully still earning at present) but there must be some clear lines in the sand with it all somewhere?

As homer has said there are 2 issues

Furloughing deals with what happens now and the cashflow for that should be covered by the system the government has put in place

Redundancy deals with what happens after furlough and a lot of business are looking forward and do not think they will have enough business to warrant the staff they have. Their decision is to lay some people off in the hope of protecting jobs for others rather than keeping everyone on and not having a business

There are some tough times and hard decisions still to come

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Family member just got laid off on 11:02 - Apr 29 with 1270 viewshomer_123

Family member just got laid off on 10:58 - Apr 29 by Keno

Furloughing deals with what happens now and the cashflow for that should be covered by the system the government has put in place

Redundancy deals with what happens after furlough and a lot of business are looking forward and do not think they will have enough business to warrant the staff they have. Their decision is to lay some people off in the hope of protecting jobs for others rather than keeping everyone on and not having a business

Def the case Keno.

Sadly, some companies are likely to complete cease trading (as we have already seen) - many will be nothing like they were before in terms of size and scope (employee numbers and number of contracts and clients).

That being said, we are working with a number of businesses that have not been affected at all (manufacturing, professional services, banking/ finance and others) who are actually busier than ever (for obvious reasons).

Family member just got laid off on 11:04 - Apr 29 with 1264 viewsmonytowbray

Family member just got laid off on 10:58 - Apr 29 by Keno

Surely no one should be laid off during furlough if that’s the case though?

TWTD never forgets…

Family member just got laid off on 11:07 - Apr 29 with 1236 viewsKeno

Family member just got laid off on 11:04 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

I can understand the argument but salary isn't the only employment cost and if as an employer if you think you aren't going to need staff after furlough you will be looking to save those additional costs

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Family member just got laid off on 11:08 - Apr 29 with 1230 viewshomer_123

Family member just got laid off on 11:04 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

Not the case.

A company has a choice to Furlough none, some or all of its staff. Their contract of employment remains the same - same rights and notices etc.

If your family member wasn't placed into Furlough (which they would have had to given consent to) then they can be made redundant - following the usual processes and procedures.

Also note, that even when on Furlough an employee can be recalled early and then made redundant.

Family member just got laid off on 11:31 - Apr 29 with 1173 viewshampstead_blue

Maybe there is more to it from the employer's end.

My employer had no trouble nor did my wife's. Seems like a few business owners here had the same outstanding service.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Family member just got laid off on 11:55 - Apr 29 with 1132 viewsLeaky

Received ours this morning
Family member just got laid off on 12:31 - Apr 29 with 1074 viewsm14_blue

Of all the many, many shortcomings in the (mis)management of this crisis, for which there will be a heavy price to pay for those in charge, the economics isn’t one of them.

Frankly I think Sunak has done bloody well.
Family member just got laid off on 12:35 - Apr 29 with 1059 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes it takes a week after submission. If people have left it to the last minute to submit to HMRC then that is entirely their own fault.

And the company would also have received a grant of between £10-25,000 which could be used for furlough wages until HMRC pay out.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Family member just got laid off on 12:37 - Apr 29 with 1051 viewsitfcjoe

Family member just got laid off on 12:35 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

Yes it takes a week after submission. If people have left it to the last minute to submit to HMRC then that is entirely their own fault.

And the company would also have received a grant of between £10-25,000 which could be used for furlough wages until HMRC pay out.

Not if it doesn't have a premises or rateable value.

Back to the OP, what Callis' relative has been told, is clearly not correct - if they need to get rid of them for another reason then obviously well within heir rights to.....but blaming the lack of cash for not placing them on furlough, when they could delay a salary payment as it is, and it is quick anyway is just wrong

Family member just got laid off on 12:38 - Apr 29 with 1049 viewsblue62

It's a tough decision, but a strange one when even the government said that people that lost their jobs could be reemployed and put on the furlough scheme.

Others are correct on here, the money comes through in 6 days as specified, so why they cannot just delay paying the salary for a couple of days rather than making them redundant seems strange.

Maybe there is something else going on there that is not obvious, my first thought is that they maybe have not been paying the Tax and NI to the Inland revenue.

Hope they get sorted.
Family member just got laid off on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 944 viewsmonytowbray

Family member just got laid off on 12:37 - Apr 29 by itfcjoe

Not if it doesn't have a premises or rateable value.

Back to the OP, what Callis' relative has been told, is clearly not correct - if they need to get rid of them for another reason then obviously well within heir rights to.....but blaming the lack of cash for not placing them on furlough, when they could delay a salary payment as it is, and it is quick anyway is just wrong

She was told she was going on Furlough initially though so that complicates things.

TWTD never forgets…

Family member just got laid off on 13:24 - Apr 29 with 940 viewsmonytowbray

Family member just got laid off on 12:38 - Apr 29 by blue62

It's a tough decision, but a strange one when even the government said that people that lost their jobs could be reemployed and put on the furlough scheme.

Others are correct on here, the money comes through in 6 days as specified, so why they cannot just delay paying the salary for a couple of days rather than making them redundant seems strange.

Maybe there is something else going on there that is not obvious, my first thought is that they maybe have not been paying the Tax and NI to the Inland revenue.

Hope they get sorted.

Something certainly doesn’t sit right there for sure. Will probably never get the real answer.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024