Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory Speak assistance, please 08:50 - May 19 with 1718 viewsartsbossbeard

"We're ending free movement to open Britain up to the world"

No, me neither.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 08:52 - May 19 with 1323 viewsHerbivore

I believe this is what is known as Doublespeak. As we're officially now characters in a re-write of 1984 we should come to expect more of this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 08:53 - May 19 with 1320 viewsm14_blue

I actually think that makes sense in a way, ending free movement from the EU does give us the freedom to bring in more people from elsewhere.

Obviously it’s also complete bullsh1t because they’ve worked on an anti immigration agenda for years and we all know full well that Brexit wasn’t about bringing more brown people into the country.

It’s like pretending they’re opening schools to help vulnerable children. It could be believable in theory but from this shower it’s laughable.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 8:56]
Tory Speak assistance, please on 08:56 - May 19 with 1305 viewsartsbossbeard

Tory Speak assistance, please on 08:53 - May 19 by m14_blue

I actually think that makes sense in a way, ending free movement from the EU does give us the freedom to bring in more people from elsewhere.

Obviously it’s also complete bullsh1t because they’ve worked on an anti immigration agenda for years and we all know full well that Brexit wasn’t about bringing more brown people into the country.

It’s like pretending they’re opening schools to help vulnerable children. It could be believable in theory but from this shower it’s laughable.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 8:56]

I note that Eton et al aren't going back 'til September.

Bloody Teachers unions.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:01 - May 19 with 1293 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ok. Unless you believe in open borders and unlimited immigration then you have to have limits.

Currently under freedom of movements we can’t put limits on the number of EU citizens, so these limits disproportionLy fall on people from outside the EU.

Freedom of movement is basically a closed shop for mostly white Europeans.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:03 - May 19 with 1283 viewsitfcjoe

Tory Speak assistance, please on 08:56 - May 19 by artsbossbeard

Bloody Teachers unions.

Blair was interesting on this last night - saying that all the private schools are teaching from home whereas 1/3 of children in state education, notably the poorest, are not getting any home schooling at all and this will widen the achievement gap.

I don't think this is a left-right issue, but thoughts of Blair who did prioritise education with New Labour were interesting - on Newsnight with Maitlis if anyone wants to go back and watch

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:10 - May 19 with 1257 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:03 - May 19 by itfcjoe

Blair was interesting on this last night - saying that all the private schools are teaching from home whereas 1/3 of children in state education, notably the poorest, are not getting any home schooling at all and this will widen the achievement gap.

I don't think this is a left-right issue, but thoughts of Blair who did prioritise education with New Labour were interesting - on Newsnight with Maitlis if anyone wants to go back and watch

Two former Labour eduction secretary’s have taken the government’s side. This most definitely isn’t a left and right argument. As much as the simpletons who say “but eton” try to make it one.

Btw the unions have every right to ensure what is safe for their members.

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:20 - May 19 with 1238 viewsm14_blue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:03 - May 19 by itfcjoe

I’m sorry but it’s nonsense to suggest that bringing back a few reception and year 1 kids for a few weeks before the summer, most of which will be spent trying to explain the new rules and processes, will do anything at all to narrow any achievement gap.

This is solely about trying to get the economy moving, which is a perfectly reasonable position to take and quite possibly the right thing to do.

To suggest otherwise is just treating people like idiots.
Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:22 - May 19 with 1233 viewsNewcyBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:01 - May 19 by GlasgowBlue

Ok. Unless you believe in open borders and unlimited immigration then you have to have limits.

Currently under freedom of movements we can’t put limits on the number of EU citizens, so these limits disproportionLy fall on people from outside the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/17/british-workers-reject-fruit

We’ve used cheap labour for so long to our detriment. Supermarkets forcing prices down, Brits not willing to work for the terms and conditions that they’re happy for Romanians to come over and work under.

It’s a sad state of affairs all round.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:28 - May 19 with 1211 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:20 - May 19 by m14_blue

I’m sorry but it’s nonsense to suggest that bringing back a few reception and year 1 kids for a few weeks before the summer, most of which will be spent trying to explain the new rules and processes, will do anything at all to narrow any achievement gap.

This is solely about trying to get the economy moving, which is a perfectly reasonable position to take and quite possibly the right thing to do.

Regardless of the government’s motives from bringing back kids to school, and I don’t disagree with what your assessment, as Blunkett and Adonis have said it’s the children from the poorest families who are suffering most from schools not being open and it could put the achievement gap back years.

This is a good read.

And here is the Blair clip.

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:29 - May 19 with 1209 viewsEwan_Oozami

But as far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, they're not making it cheaper or administratively easier for non-EU citizens to come here, just allowing more of them to come based on reduced EU migration?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:32 - May 19 with 1198 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:29 - May 19 by Ewan_Oozami

But as far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, they're not making it cheaper or administratively easier for non-EU citizens to come here, just allowing more of them to come based on reduced EU migration?

I’m not supporting the detail of government policy. Just explaining my own interpretation of how ending freedom of movement is compatible with opening Britain to the world.

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:34 - May 19 with 1192 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 08:56 - May 19 by artsbossbeard

Bloody Teachers unions.

Rather amusing to see you now regard Eton as the arbiter of national education policy.

Are you aware that Eton is doing full interactive teaching this term. Do you think kids in Tower Hamlets are getting the same opportunities during the lockdown?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 9:44]

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:36 - May 19 with 1190 viewsHerbivore

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:20 - May 19 by m14_blue

Precisely this. Kids in reception and year 1 in the UK are younger than the school starting age in a number of countries. A few weeks of school at this point will make no difference to them at all. And they won't be able to understand or maintain social distancing. It's all about free child care to get people back to work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:40 - May 19 with 1168 viewsm14_blue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:28 - May 19 by GlasgowBlue

Regardless of the government’s motives from bringing back kids to school, and I don’t disagree with what your assessment, as Blunkett and Adonis have said it’s the children from the poorest families who are suffering most from schools not being open and it could put the achievement gap back years.

This is a good read.

And here is the Blair clip.

I think that’s self evident and there’s no doubt the lockdown will have disproportionately impacted on disadvantaged children.

However, opening up in the way proposed is not tackling that issue, what about disadvantaged children in years 2,3,4 and 5? Nor will the extra couple of weeks before the holidays make any tangible difference whatsoever.

It’s entirely an economical and political decision. I have no issue with the economy argument, in fact I agree with it, but I do have an issue with the government using it to further their divisive and identity driven politics.

For this administration to attempt to take the moral high ground over disadvantaged and vulnerable children is beyond parody. The awful thing is that many will fall for it.
Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:40 - May 19 with 1171 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds a sensible argument until you realise that the overall long-term immigration numbers from non-EU countries has always been higher than those from the EU, who are much more transient - https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/.

Once we know that then it's easier to see the truth of it - which is that we've a government made up of people who've made political capital out of appealing to the most base and worst of human instincts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:49 - May 19 with 1141 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:40 - May 19 by m14_blue

I think that’s self evident and there’s no doubt the lockdown will have disproportionately impacted on disadvantaged children.

However, opening up in the way proposed is not tackling that issue, what about disadvantaged children in years 2,3,4 and 5? Nor will the extra couple of weeks before the holidays make any tangible difference whatsoever.

It’s entirely an economical and political decision. I have no issue with the economy argument, in fact I agree with it, but I do have an issue with the government using it to further their divisive and identity driven politics.

For this administration to attempt to take the moral high ground over disadvantaged and vulnerable children is beyond parody. The awful thing is that many will fall for it.

Makes my blood boil all these privileged types trying to justify sending poor kids back to school early on the grounds they actually give a sh*t about them, whilst the places their kids go to are announcing in their droves that they won't be reopening until the autumn.

It's one rule for the haves and another for the have nots. If the evidence is clear that it's sensible to go back to school without risking further waves of the virus, ALL schools should be going back. If it's still deemed too early for some private schools, then ALL schools should still be off. And you then find other ways to address the widening gap between the rich and poor rather than use the poor as a political football.

Like clapping for the NHS staff whilst simultaneously passing legislation that would have prevented them from entering the country in the first place.

If nothing else this crisis is highlighting who the arseholes are.

Grrr. Rant over.

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:55 - May 19 with 1107 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:49 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

Makes my blood boil all these privileged types trying to justify sending poor kids back to school early on the grounds they actually give a sh*t about them, whilst the places their kids go to are announcing in their droves that they won't be reopening until the autumn.

It's one rule for the haves and another for the have nots. If the evidence is clear that it's sensible to go back to school without risking further waves of the virus, ALL schools should be going back. If it's still deemed too early for some private schools, then ALL schools should still be off. And you then find other ways to address the widening gap between the rich and poor rather than use the poor as a political football.

Like clapping for the NHS staff whilst simultaneously passing legislation that would have prevented them from entering the country in the first place.

Grrr. Rant over.

Apparently 15 of the 22 members of cabinet have children at state schools*. It’s rather simplistic to portray ten as all going to eton and the like.

*The reason I know this is Alistair Campbell asked the question in Twitter yesterday.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 9:59]

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:59 - May 19 with 1086 viewshype313

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:49 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

Grrr. Rant over.

Love how they are wanting to use our children as Guinea pigs just so the parents can go back to work so they can try and salvage what's left of the economy.

Can't quite believe how diabolical this govt have been, for all his faults, Gordon Brown stepped up to the plate in the last crisis with his decisiveness and showed leadership, this current shower are rudderless and couldn't organise a p1ss up in a brewery.

I thought Boris would get found out eventually, but not this soon into his premiership.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:02 - May 19 with 1080 viewsm14_blue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:55 - May 19 by GlasgowBlue

Apparently 15 of the 22 members of cabinet have children at state schools*. It’s rather simplistic to portray ten as all going to eton and the like.

*The reason I know this is Alistair Campbell asked the question in Twitter yesterday.

By all accounts only 4 members of the cabinet are involved in any decision making though....
Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:07 - May 19 with 1068 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:02 - May 19 by m14_blue

By all accounts only 4 members of the cabinet are involved in any decision making though....

Surely one of Boris’ 125 children attends a state school?

Joking aside. Give is one if the 4 and his kids definitely go to a state school.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 10:08]

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:07 - May 19 with 1066 viewsitfcjoe

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:59 - May 19 by hype313

Love how they are wanting to use our children as Guinea pigs just so the parents can go back to work so they can try and salvage what's left of the economy.

Can't quite believe how diabolical this govt have been, for all his faults, Gordon Brown stepped up to the plate in the last crisis with his decisiveness and showed leadership, this current shower are rudderless and couldn't organise a p1ss up in a brewery.

I thought Boris would get found out eventually, but not this soon into his premiership.

This Government are only interested in the next news cycle

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:17 - May 19 with 1036 viewsGlasgowBlue

The economy has to be salvaged as eventually there will be more deaths from a poor economy than there will be from Covid.

And the science suggests our Covid symptoms are often mild in children with death being extremely unlikely.

The issue should be whether teachers are put in a vulnerable position by scathing the virus from children.

If those teacher concerns can be addressed then I’m more than happy for my kids to return to school and resume their education.

Iron Lion Zion

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:17 - May 19 with 1038 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory Speak assistance, please on 09:55 - May 19 by GlasgowBlue

It's surprising how many of the various columnists and people who've been very vocal about the things being talked about in this thread (schools and immigration) on social media don't though. Like Lord Ashcroft whose been pushing these hard on social media from the comfort of his (presumably) walled-off property in Belize.

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:27 - May 19 with 1013 viewsSwansea_Blue

And then we've got the double blow of a potential no-deal exit from the EU transition period ot look forward to afterwards. There's no doubt this lot are incompetent and ideologically driven enough to do that to us, and lie and deny about it all the way through.

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:48 - May 19 with 955 viewshype313

Tory Speak assistance, please on 10:17 - May 19 by GlasgowBlue

The economy has to be salvaged as eventually there will be more deaths from a poor economy than there will be from Covid.

And the science suggests our Covid symptoms are often mild in children with death being extremely unlikely.

The issue should be whether teachers are put in a vulnerable position by scathing the virus from children.

If those teacher concerns can be addressed then I’m more than happy for my kids to return to school and resume their education.

Agreed with all of that, however, it doesn't detract from my point that they are being used as Guinea Pigs and the Govt have been a car crash in all of this.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024