Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m 17:41 - Jun 8 with 5780 viewsBrixtonBlue

rule. So pointless, and in fact irresponsible IMO, regardless of the science. People are struggling to do (or totally ignoring) 2m, so why make it worse by telling them they can get closer?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:50 - Jun 8 with 2800 viewsFixed_It

One metre is pointless. It's basically normal without the actual hugging bit!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:51 - Jun 8 with 2799 viewsm14_blue

Because other countries are working to 1m and doing the same here would be the difference between survival or bust for tens of thousands of businesses.

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do but I think it’s fair enough to ask.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:55 - Jun 8 with 2776 viewsbluelagos

I think the 1m rule will be coming in fairly soon as anything else will bankrupt the hospitality industry medium term.

Whether that is sensible is a different question.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:55 - Jun 8 with 2774 viewsChutney

I don't see what there is to gain from being able to be 1m from someone that we can't get from being 2m. Just seems like a nonsense, arbitrary debate that the press are keen to stoke for the sake of it. Unless there's a tangible benefit, i.e. perhaps retailers would be allowed more customers in at a time if that's the case? But I can't see one. Even if the appropriate answer is 1m, surely it's best to exercise a little caution anyway, especially as we've come this far with the 2m message.

There's enough sticks to beat the government with without having to make up nonsense ones like that.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:57 - Jun 8 with 2759 viewsChutney

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:51 - Jun 8 by m14_blue

Because other countries are working to 1m and doing the same here would be the difference between survival or bust for tens of thousands of businesses.

"doing the same here would be the difference between survival or bust for tens of thousands of businesses".

Quite a claim. What would be the upside and who are these 10's of thousands of businesses?
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:58 - Jun 8 with 2758 viewsBrixtonBlue

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:51 - Jun 8 by m14_blue

"the difference between survival or bust for tens of thousands of businesses"?!? Really?! 1m is going to make that much of a difference?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:58 - Jun 8 with 2743 viewsjaykay

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:55 - Jun 8 by Chutney

I don't see what there is to gain from being able to be 1m from someone that we can't get from being 2m. Just seems like a nonsense, arbitrary debate that the press are keen to stoke for the sake of it. Unless there's a tangible benefit, i.e. perhaps retailers would be allowed more customers in at a time if that's the case? But I can't see one. Even if the appropriate answer is 1m, surely it's best to exercise a little caution anyway, especially as we've come this far with the 2m message.

There's enough sticks to beat the government with without having to make up nonsense ones like that.

you can never have enough sticks to beat this government with

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:59 - Jun 8 with 2745 viewsBrixtonBlue

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:55 - Jun 8 by bluelagos

I think the 1m rule will be coming in fairly soon as anything else will bankrupt the hospitality industry medium term.

Whether that is sensible is a different question.

People don't do 1m in the supermarkets anyway, so I don't see how things will change all that much (apart from dicks will have more excuse to be dicks).

Login to get fewer ads

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:59 - Jun 8 with 2741 viewsChutney

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:58 - Jun 8 by jaykay

you can never have enough sticks to beat this government with

Fair.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:03 - Jun 8 with 2713 viewsWD19

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:50 - Jun 8 by Fixed_It

One metre is pointless. It's basically normal without the actual hugging bit!

I’ve been in a 1m rule relationship for 15 years.....
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:05 - Jun 8 with 2707 viewsChutney

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:03 - Jun 8 by WD19

I’ve been in a 1m rule relationship for 15 years.....

That reminds me, congratulations on your 15th wedding anniversary.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:07 - Jun 8 with 2695 viewsm14_blue

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:57 - Jun 8 by Chutney

"doing the same here would be the difference between survival or bust for tens of thousands of businesses".

Quite a claim. What would be the upside and who are these 10's of thousands of businesses?

Pubs, cafes, restaurants etc would all be able to seat almost twice as many people.

At 2m they simply can’t open at the capacity to make them viable businesses.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:08 - Jun 8 with 2682 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 17:58 - Jun 8 by BrixtonBlue

"the difference between survival or bust for tens of thousands of businesses"?!? Really?! 1m is going to make that much of a difference?

Massive difference for the pub and restaurant trade surely - 1m rather than 2m basically doubles the number of customers that can be accommodated

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:09 - Jun 8 with 2675 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:07 - Jun 8 by m14_blue

Pubs, cafes, restaurants etc would all be able to seat almost twice as many people.

Oh, snap

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:11 - Jun 8 with 2663 viewsFixed_It

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:08 - Jun 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Massive difference for the pub and restaurant trade surely - 1m rather than 2m basically doubles the number of customers that can be accommodated

Well yes. But apart from that...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:12 - Jun 8 with 2660 viewsfooters

Because it's another part of the economy first, people second, be positive and get behind your government narrative. Don't worry, everyone! We're getting everything back on track and it's all gone swimmingly etc.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:13 - Jun 8 with 2647 viewsBloomBlue

Doesn't the WHO recommend 1m rather than 2m?
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:16 - Jun 8 with 2626 viewsBrixtonBlue

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:08 - Jun 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah, fair point, as m14 also makes above.

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:18 - Jun 8 with 2618 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:13 - Jun 8 by BloomBlue

Doesn't the WHO recommend 1m rather than 2m?

I’m fairly convinced that most of the official guidance around what you can do has been set on the basis that people will push boundaries around the edges

So 2m recommended to ensure most people keep to 1m, 1 exercise per day in the initial lockdown knowing a lot of people may take 2 (rather than just allowing ‘exercise’ and then people being out most of the day, the rather odd meet 1 person at a time guidance meaning anyone meeting parents had to meet them one after the other knowing really people would meet another household but not mass gatherings, and now 6 knowing people will push it to 10 etc

Although I might be giving too much credit there given how cr*p other parts of the messaging have been!

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:21 - Jun 8 with 2595 viewsChutney

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:07 - Jun 8 by m14_blue

Some, I imagine, but 10's of thousands of businesses seems like a gross exaggeration given the size of the hospitality sector in the UK. It's also important to remember that the 2m rule wont apply to everyone in a premises, but rather it'll be between groups that don't live together. It'll almost certainly impact capacity, but I think it's a stretch to suggest it'll be the difference between survival or not, or anything close to 50%. Any business it adversely impacts by way of opportunity cost will be operating at an occupancy that's probably financially sustainable. I don't doubt it'll impact some businesses, but there's a finite demand for such provision, so some will benefit out of it. If places are full, some previously less popular sites might see an uptick, which might well be the difference between staying operational and not. I don't think the impact is reliably quantifiable to the extent where it could be the difference between 10's of thousands of businesses going under or not.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:22 - Jun 8 with 2586 viewsChutney

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:12 - Jun 8 by footers

Because it's another part of the economy first, people second, be positive and get behind your government narrative. Don't worry, everyone! We're getting everything back on track and it's all gone swimmingly etc.

Surely if it was economy first, people 2nd, based on the logic expressed on this thread the opposite approach would be taken? 1m rule would be favourable?
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:24 - Jun 8 with 2573 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:21 - Jun 8 by Chutney

Some, I imagine, but 10's of thousands of businesses seems like a gross exaggeration given the size of the hospitality sector in the UK. It's also important to remember that the 2m rule wont apply to everyone in a premises, but rather it'll be between groups that don't live together. It'll almost certainly impact capacity, but I think it's a stretch to suggest it'll be the difference between survival or not, or anything close to 50%. Any business it adversely impacts by way of opportunity cost will be operating at an occupancy that's probably financially sustainable. I don't doubt it'll impact some businesses, but there's a finite demand for such provision, so some will benefit out of it. If places are full, some previously less popular sites might see an uptick, which might well be the difference between staying operational and not. I don't think the impact is reliably quantifiable to the extent where it could be the difference between 10's of thousands of businesses going under or not.

Not sure how you conclude it was an exaggeration - there are well over 100k pubs and restaurants alone in the UK let alone other businesses that would be impacted

And people from the same household being able to sit together isn’t really relevant - they’ll still have to space all tables etc out twice as far apart under 2m guidance than 1m so clearly it will have a massive impact

EDIT: Of course, not all of those 100k+ businesses would be rammed full anyway, at least not most of the time. I can think of quite a few restaurants in Ipswich alone that have seemingly had an unofficial 2m policy for some time!
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 18:26]

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:24 - Jun 8 with 2572 viewsm14_blue

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:21 - Jun 8 by Chutney

Ok mate, I’m really not looking for an argument, I was just explaining why it was important.

Sometimes it’s ok to just say ‘oh yeah, I hadn’t thought of that’, as Dolly has here.
I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:27 - Jun 8 with 2551 viewslowhouseblue

we will change to 1m at some point over the summer. it's the only way the hospitality sector will survive.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 18:34]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:31 - Jun 8 with 2523 viewsChutney

I really don't know why some people in the press are asking why there isn't a 1m on 18:24 - Jun 8 by m14_blue

Ok mate, I’m really not looking for an argument, I was just explaining why it was important.

Sometimes it’s ok to just say ‘oh yeah, I hadn’t thought of that’, as Dolly has here.

I'm not looking for one, so your reply seems a bit odd. I'm not one to start arguments.

It's wrong to say custom halves. The distance between tables increases, but in terms of people that's not the same thing. Typically, you could go to a pub for food and be 2m+ from some anyway, pre Covid.

My uncle owns a Turkish restaurant. A 2m social distancing rule will require him to lose c. 10% of covers. It's rare that he's full anyway.

Sometimes it's also OK to not try and quantify things that you're not placed to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024