Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford 19:31 - Jul 15 with 2078 viewsTommyparker

Brentford's player trading profits

Neal Maupay to Brighton -18.2m
Bought for 1.6m, sold for 19.8m

Chris Mepham to Bournemouth- 12.2m
B team product, sold for 12.2m

Andre Gray to Burnley- 10.65m
Bought for 550k, sold for 11.1m

Ezri Konsa to Aston Villa- 9.5 m
Bought for 2.5m, sold for 12m

Scott Hogan to Aston Villa-8.7m
Bought for 750k, sold for 9.5m

Ryan Woods to Stoke- 5.5m
Bought for 1m, sold for 6.5m

Jota to Birmingham-4.5m
Bought for 1.2m, sold for 5.7m

Brentford have the fourth-lowest playing budget in the Championship, but 3rd in the table.
They made wholesale changes overnight; transfers were inspired by mathematical models & obscure stats were sent to the touchline at half-time to influence tactics.
This season, the average age of Brentford's starting XI is 24 years & 324 days.
The second youngest in the Championship.
They bought Benrahma & Bryan Mbeumo from Ligue 2.
Brentford co-director of football Rasmus Ankersen
Brentford's Dane who has written books on developing talent, reckons most companies spend two per cent of their time recruiting & 75 per cent managing their recruitment mistakes.
Anderson was one of the first men in football to realise that, contrary to cliche, the table doesn't lie. And as a result , football's data revolution emerges from a small old ground.
Brentford on 20:30 - Jul 15 with 1949 viewsBluefish

Could imagine our lot crying because Evans is selling all the best players pocketing the money and replacing with cheap rubbish?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Brentford on 20:52 - Jul 15 with 1914 viewsBlueBadger

Brentford on 20:30 - Jul 15 by Bluefish

Could imagine our lot crying because Evans is selling all the best players pocketing the money and replacing with cheap rubbish?

I don't think we need to imagine that, he's been doing that for over ten yers now..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brentford on 21:08 - Jul 15 with 1874 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Brentford on 20:52 - Jul 15 by BlueBadger

I don't think we need to imagine that, he's been doing that for over ten yers now..

That genuinely made me laugh out loud. Mrs is currently giving me a funny stare.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Brentford on 21:18 - Jul 15 with 1847 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I don’t need to express my admiration for Brentford anymore than I have.

Truly impressed with the running of that football club, really have structure and identity in place, and it’s paying its dues.

Brentford on 21:20 - Jul 15 with 1840 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Brentford on 20:30 - Jul 15 by Bluefish

This is one of the problems. We are a selling club whilst we are in League 1, there’s bigger fish in the sea than us and a snoop around from bigger clubs will attract our talented young lads.

It’s the reinvestment and recruitment that has hurt this club so badly. Paul Hurst era optimises that.

Brentford on 22:16 - Jul 15 with 1736 viewsBloomBlue

Although on the flip side two of my best friends are life long Brentford fans who get very annoyed when they see lists like the below simply because they want to be in the Prem and they argue if they had retained a few of those players for a couple of extra seasons they would have been promoted years ago.

So yes they are pushing for promotion constantly and the fans like but the clubs approach is built entirely on buying a player to sell for a profit within 2-3 seasons irrelevant of league position does annoy even their own fans. Watkins and Benrahma being examples, apparently they already have deals arranged to sell at the end of the season.

If that was Ipswich I could see many fans complaining about ME not supporting the manager to win promotion to the Prem as fans did/do with that MM season
Brentford on 22:22 - Jul 15 with 1724 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Brentford on 20:52 - Jul 15 by BlueBadger

The problem is he hasn't really.

He has refused to sell on a number of occasions. He has also allowed managers to buy players that are far from young up-and-coming ones whose stock is likely to rise. We have not really developed players and improved.

It is almost as if the owner has the opposite of the Midas touch making pretty much the wrong call every time on when to keep and when to sell.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Brentford on 07:54 - Jul 16 with 1516 viewstractorboy1978

Brentford on 22:22 - Jul 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

The problem is he hasn't really.

He has refused to sell on a number of occasions. He has also allowed managers to buy players that are far from young up-and-coming ones whose stock is likely to rise. We have not really developed players and improved.

It is almost as if the owner has the opposite of the Midas touch making pretty much the wrong call every time on when to keep and when to sell.

We've done it a few times on a lower level with Mings, Waghorn, Webster, Cresswell. The problem is he won't pay the initial decent fees you need to land more 'premium' players. Brentford aren't afraid to go out and pay £1m-£3m to get someone they can develop further and then sell on for £10m+.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 7:55]
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford on 08:11 - Jul 16 with 1482 viewsitfcjoe

Brentford on 07:54 - Jul 16 by tractorboy1978

We've done it a few times on a lower level with Mings, Waghorn, Webster, Cresswell. The problem is he won't pay the initial decent fees you need to land more 'premium' players. Brentford aren't afraid to go out and pay £1m-£3m to get someone they can develop further and then sell on for £10m+.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 7:55]

Yep, when Mick finds a Mings for £10k and sells him for £8m it's a massive one off and shouldn't be expected.

Subsequently we signed Keiffer Moore for £20k and sold him for £750k, thats a normal best case scenario for someone of that figure - you need to be spending in that range you mention to get people in and sell them big

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brentford on 08:50 - Jul 16 with 1407 viewsmonty_radio

Brentford on 08:11 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Yep, when Mick finds a Mings for £10k and sells him for £8m it's a massive one off and shouldn't be expected.

Subsequently we signed Keiffer Moore for £20k and sold him for £750k, thats a normal best case scenario for someone of that figure - you need to be spending in that range you mention to get people in and sell them big

All of which leads to a question around those players themselves - why, do you think, Brentford are able to attract those £1m players and make them content to put their individual careers at the disposal of such a model. Most footballers, whose star is in the ascendancy, would not see two years spent at Griffin Park while just missing out on promotion as time well spent in a short career.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Brentford on 08:58 - Jul 16 with 1394 viewsitfcjoe

Brentford on 08:50 - Jul 16 by monty_radio

All of which leads to a question around those players themselves - why, do you think, Brentford are able to attract those £1m players and make them content to put their individual careers at the disposal of such a model. Most footballers, whose star is in the ascendancy, would not see two years spent at Griffin Park while just missing out on promotion as time well spent in a short career.

There is a really good interview with Maupay about it - as he could have gone to brighton when he went to brentford.

Basically they know they get a showcase for their talents, and they'll play a style that will bring the best out of them, plus be sold when opportunity arises and at that point they go to a bigger club as a marquee signing and will play, rather than a project

https://theathletic.co.uk/1120576/2019/08/07/not-joining-brighton-was-the-best-d

If you want to read article and can't let me know as I have guest passes to the athletic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brentford on 09:03 - Jul 16 with 1375 viewslongtimefan

I suppose one question around those stats would be if they’ve made all this profit on their dealings, where has that profit gone? To pay for the new stadium?
Brentford on 09:40 - Jul 16 with 1337 viewstractorboy1978

Brentford on 08:11 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Indeed. It's two-pronged as well, not only are you selling big and making a larger profit but you are also signing a higher calibre of player to begin with that can have a bigger impact for ITFC.

There are countless examples but Ollie Watkins is the one I always mention. He stuck out like a sore thumb at Exeter. It was obvious. But we would never spend £1.8m on a player.
Brentford on 10:02 - Jul 16 with 1314 viewsmonty_radio

Brentford on 08:58 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

There is a really good interview with Maupay about it - as he could have gone to brighton when he went to brentford.

Basically they know they get a showcase for their talents, and they'll play a style that will bring the best out of them, plus be sold when opportunity arises and at that point they go to a bigger club as a marquee signing and will play, rather than a project

https://theathletic.co.uk/1120576/2019/08/07/not-joining-brighton-was-the-best-d

If you want to read article and can't let me know as I have guest passes to the athletic

Thanks - describes him as an old head on young shoulders. That's sort of where I was coming from. Maupay had the vision to see that he probably wouldn't be the loser if he played the longer game. It almost makes emotional intelligence a player requirement for them.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 12:07]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Brentford on 10:13 - Jul 16 with 1298 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brentford on 09:03 - Jul 16 by longtimefan

I suppose one question around those stats would be if they’ve made all this profit on their dealings, where has that profit gone? To pay for the new stadium?

Possibly. And/or not run up £60-70m of debt like us.

They seem to be getting things right for now. Lose players and can replace them. Seem to be on a solid financial footing and making good management decisions. And play pretty decent football, despite changes in managers and players.

The polar opposite to us really. Ah well.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brentford on 12:58 - Jul 16 with 1192 viewsgringoblue

Brentford on 09:40 - Jul 16 by tractorboy1978

Indeed. It's two-pronged as well, not only are you selling big and making a larger profit but you are also signing a higher calibre of player to begin with that can have a bigger impact for ITFC.

There are countless examples but Ollie Watkins is the one I always mention. He stuck out like a sore thumb at Exeter. It was obvious. But we would never spend £1.8m on a player.

Didn't we pay 1.6m for Kayden Jackson?
Brentford on 13:18 - Jul 16 with 1168 viewsBluefish

Brentford on 12:58 - Jul 16 by gringoblue

Yes but none of that counts because we must slate Evans at al times. He is pocketing money from us (despite the accounts showing the opposite), he also doesn't put anything into the club (despite him putting in more than everyone else in our history conbined).

There is a list of others that we have bought too

Ward
Webster
Huws?
Nolan
Edwards
Nsiala
Waghorn
Garner
Jackson
Harrison
Knudsen

Go back further and you have the silly signings under keane
The loan fees as well wouldnt have been cheap

Brentford on 17:03 - Jul 16 with 1088 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Brentford on 13:18 - Jul 16 by Bluefish

Yes but none of that counts because we must slate Evans at al times. He is pocketing money from us (despite the accounts showing the opposite), he also doesn't put anything into the club (despite him putting in more than everyone else in our history conbined).

There is a list of others that we have bought too

Ward
Webster
Huws?
Nolan
Edwards
Nsiala
Waghorn
Garner
Jackson
Harrison
Knudsen

Go back further and you have the silly signings under keane
The loan fees as well wouldnt have been cheap

Best bit of financial support Evans has done in my opinion is that 5 year contract he has given Lambert, and his backing going in to the start of next season.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 17:04]

Brentford on 17:17 - Jul 16 with 1063 viewscbower

Brentford on 09:40 - Jul 16 by tractorboy1978

We spent £1.6 million on a raw Kayden Jackson didn't we? Following the Brentford model, he should now be attracting the interest of clubs higher up the chain for 8 million plus. Hasn't quite worked out though!

bluescouser

Brentford on 17:25 - Jul 16 with 1051 viewscbower

Brentford on 12:58 - Jul 16 by gringoblue

Said similar below. Didn't really get the money for Webster unfortunately, Bristol City made the big wad on him. Evans has laid out decent money at times but so few of those have really paid off, either on the pitch or with fees received. The money splurged by Keane, Jewell and Hurst was just pi$$ poor recruitment and a club will fail or prosper based on its recruitment.

bluescouser

Brentford on 17:26 - Jul 16 with 1046 viewsBluefish

Brentford on 17:03 - Jul 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

Best bit of financial support Evans has done in my opinion is that 5 year contract he has given Lambert, and his backing going in to the start of next season.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 17:04]

Silly sausage

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024