Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 09:08 - Aug 3 with 2627 viewsGlasgowBlue

This really is hate speech and should be taken down with the user banned for life.

[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 9:08]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:13 - Aug 3 with 2572 viewsHerbivore

That's outrageous. Just like with Wiley's tweets the other day, this isn't dogwhistling or overstepping the line. This is outright, direct, unacceptable racism. If twitter isn't capable of removing such tweets and suspending users promptly then it isn't remotely fit for purpose. Facebook is often little better in my experience either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:47 - Aug 3 with 2485 viewsLibero

Toxic platform, I don't understand why any one bothers with it any more.
Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:52 - Aug 3 with 2463 viewsBlueBadger

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:47 - Aug 3 by Libero

I was on it for about 45 minutes, in 2011. It was rubbish, so I closed my account again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:54 - Aug 3 with 2453 viewsHerbivore

It depends on how you use it and what you use it for to be fair. It can be very useful, but as a pure social media platform it does seem to be rather toxic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:54 - Aug 3 with 2454 viewsgiant_stow

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 09:52 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

I was on it for about 45 minutes, in 2011. It was rubbish, so I closed my account again.

Reckon it still good for newflash-style stuff, but only on a google search - wouldn't dream of having an account or following anyone
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 9:55]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:06 - Aug 3 with 2408 viewsRyorry

That's like saying books are toxic because Hitler wrote 'Mein Kampf'. All depends who you follow, who you allow to follow you, and how you use the platform. I've used it almost every week for the past 8 years & on there, haven't received 1/1,000th of the abuse on there that I have on here. There are times, like last night, when it seems like an oasis of peace and harmony compared with here.

Having said that, it's relatively easy to do if you're just an 'ordinary' person; much much harder, maybe impossible if you're a 'name' or well known like Rowling, Lammy and probably all other politicians.

Of course the tweet in the OP is beyond obnoxious and should have been removed immediately, goes without saying - there should be a fast-track process in place for off-the-scale horrors like that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:11 - Aug 3 with 2373 viewseireblue

Should be a police matter.
Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:11 - Aug 3 with 2374 viewsLibero

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:06 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

That's like saying books are toxic because Hitler wrote 'Mein Kampf'. All depends who you follow, who you allow to follow you, and how you use the platform. I've used it almost every week for the past 8 years & on there, haven't received 1/1,000th of the abuse on there that I have on here. There are times, like last night, when it seems like an oasis of peace and harmony compared with here.

Having said that, it's relatively easy to do if you're just an 'ordinary' person; much much harder, maybe impossible if you're a 'name' or well known like Rowling, Lammy and probably all other politicians.

Of course the tweet in the OP is beyond obnoxious and should have been removed immediately, goes without saying - there should be a fast-track process in place for off-the-scale horrors like that.

Yeah, that's a horrible analogy, not even going to bother unpacking that one.

Twitter is horrendous, worst of the mainstream social media platforms.
It's only a half step above 4chan and other sh1tpost sites, where plenty of people also have relatively sensible discussions as you're asserting happens on Twitter.

Let it burn.
Login to get fewer ads

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:11 - Aug 3 with 2368 viewsSwansea_Blue

Some people on it are good for a laugh or two, but I wouldn't have an account. It's far too much a rabbit hole of self-reinforcing outrage. I browse occasionally but don't see why people contribute in the main - mostly people's replies are pretty much ignored. It's a social platform with little sociality.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:19 - Aug 3 with 2335 viewsRyorry

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:11 - Aug 3 by Libero

It's only a half step above 4chan and other sh1tpost sites, where plenty of people also have relatively sensible discussions as you're asserting happens on Twitter.

Let it burn.

I think what you're forgetting is that while it has the 'mute' button (which is the equivalent of 'ignore' on here) it also has a full 'block' option (which TWTD doesn't have), so that any trolls, keyboard warriors, bots or persistently abusive people are permanently prevented from even seeing your tweets. That makes it a very good platform for millions, who use it daily to share great photos from around the world, humour, info, gardening tips, get support with problems, etc etc etc.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:20 - Aug 3 with 2331 viewsLibero

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:19 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

I think what you're forgetting is that while it has the 'mute' button (which is the equivalent of 'ignore' on here) it also has a full 'block' option (which TWTD doesn't have), so that any trolls, keyboard warriors, bots or persistently abusive people are permanently prevented from even seeing your tweets. That makes it a very good platform for millions, who use it daily to share great photos from around the world, humour, info, gardening tips, get support with problems, etc etc etc.

No, i've not forgotten anything, I just disagree with you.
Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:21 - Aug 3 with 2318 viewsSwansea_Blue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:11 - Aug 3 by Libero

Let it burn.

I guess it depends which bubble you're in. When I'm in there I only see centre ground anti-Brexit types pointing out the latest hypocrisy of this government. But there must be an equivalent bubble of hate/racism/xenophobia in their somewhere.

Facebook seems to be far more dangerous on account of its politically motivated advertising, not that I know much about all this stuff.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:23 - Aug 3 with 2307 viewsRyorry

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:20 - Aug 3 by Libero

No, i've not forgotten anything, I just disagree with you.

OK! But clearly I disagree with your generalisation. Your description is simply not like that for millions. It's quite a hard platform to get into because you don't know who to follow at the start, and that's maybe why some people (like Badger above) don't persevere with it.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:26 - Aug 3 with 2296 viewsLibero

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:21 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

I guess it depends which bubble you're in. When I'm in there I only see centre ground anti-Brexit types pointing out the latest hypocrisy of this government. But there must be an equivalent bubble of hate/racism/xenophobia in their somewhere.

Facebook seems to be far more dangerous on account of its politically motivated advertising, not that I know much about all this stuff.

I'm not talking from my own personal experiences as I'm fully aware how it can be used, a little while ago I was using it specifically to help me flog some custom Star Wars items and it was useful!

I'm talking broadly, the conversations it encourages, the kind of debate and the lexicon that's used in these debates is problematic and lacks any grey area more often than not. It's a platform that encourages conflict and polarisation just as much as the kind of discussion Ryorry references, for this reason and a few others I think it's dysfunctional at best. If it was just a big circle jerk that'd be lame, but fine.

Facebook is a whole other kind of dumpster fire, agree with your brief description there though.
Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:29 - Aug 3 with 2276 viewsRyorry

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:26 - Aug 3 by Libero

I'm not talking from my own personal experiences as I'm fully aware how it can be used, a little while ago I was using it specifically to help me flog some custom Star Wars items and it was useful!

I'm talking broadly, the conversations it encourages, the kind of debate and the lexicon that's used in these debates is problematic and lacks any grey area more often than not. It's a platform that encourages conflict and polarisation just as much as the kind of discussion Ryorry references, for this reason and a few others I think it's dysfunctional at best. If it was just a big circle jerk that'd be lame, but fine.

Facebook is a whole other kind of dumpster fire, agree with your brief description there though.

I certainly agree about facebook!

Useful for messaging and interest groups tho.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:31 - Aug 3 with 2263 viewsStokieBlue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:29 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

I certainly agree about facebook!

Useful for messaging and interest groups tho.

I guess the question is:

Does the usefulness outweigh the toxicity of Facebook which is clearly awful in many regards and harder to filter than some other platforms?

There are countless other ways to message people nowadays so I don't think that can be cited as a plus point.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:34 - Aug 3 with 2242 viewsSwansea_Blue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:26 - Aug 3 by Libero

Yep, it does seem to be built around conflict and polarisation. I dip in for a few jokes and then run away again. I certainly wouldn't miss it. Although it's handy for updates (e.g. genuine uses by companies or organisations). If you could ban political twitter it would be a much better place. Or maybe stop people being anonymous, that'd make a difference.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:35 - Aug 3 with 2237 viewsRyorry

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:31 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

I guess the question is:

Does the usefulness outweigh the toxicity of Facebook which is clearly awful in many regards and harder to filter than some other platforms?

There are countless other ways to message people nowadays so I don't think that can be cited as a plus point.

SB

It's literally the only quick messaging service I & some other people close to me are all on. None of us want WhatsApp & texts are physically impossible.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:37 - Aug 3 with 2218 viewsStokieBlue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:35 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

It's literally the only quick messaging service I & some other people close to me are all on. None of us want WhatsApp & texts are physically impossible.

Out of interest, why don't you want Whatsapp?

SB

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:40 - Aug 3 with 2189 viewsSwansea_Blue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:37 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

Out of interest, why don't you want Whatsapp?

SB

Owned by Facebook innit. I always try to talk people out of using whatsapp, but unfortunately our kids' clubs insist on using it. Others may have different reasons.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:40 - Aug 3 with 2188 viewsLibero

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:34 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, it does seem to be built around conflict and polarisation. I dip in for a few jokes and then run away again. I certainly wouldn't miss it. Although it's handy for updates (e.g. genuine uses by companies or organisations). If you could ban political twitter it would be a much better place. Or maybe stop people being anonymous, that'd make a difference.

I used to think that stopping people being anonymous would make a difference, however I no longer think that it would. I've seen plenty of people racially abused by a "Gary Clark" or similarly average name with suitably average display picture of a middle aged bloke and his kids.
Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:41 - Aug 3 with 2177 viewsStokieBlue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:40 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

Owned by Facebook innit. I always try to talk people out of using whatsapp, but unfortunately our kids' clubs insist on using it. Others may have different reasons.

Well this was where I was going. Seems strange to not want Whatsapp but happy to use Facebook for messaging, especially given Whatsapp is End2End encrypted.

SB

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:43 - Aug 3 with 2164 viewsSwansea_Blue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:40 - Aug 3 by Libero

I used to think that stopping people being anonymous would make a difference, however I no longer think that it would. I've seen plenty of people racially abused by a "Gary Clark" or similarly average name with suitably average display picture of a middle aged bloke and his kids.

They could try banning everyone called Gary

You're probably right actually. The racists seem particularly emboldened these days - take the example of Dyer and someone openly spouting racist abuse in the golf club.

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:47 - Aug 3 with 2145 viewsRyorry

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:41 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

Well this was where I was going. Seems strange to not want Whatsapp but happy to use Facebook for messaging, especially given Whatsapp is End2End encrypted.

SB

It's just a question of "oh no not another platform to have to get used to/watch out for shennanigans with" - not just me, but persuading others as well. A lot of people are trying to disengage from social media, not add another one!

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:51 - Aug 3 with 2125 viewsStokieBlue

Twitter is broken part 2479857575577 on 10:47 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

It's just a question of "oh no not another platform to have to get used to/watch out for shennanigans with" - not just me, but persuading others as well. A lot of people are trying to disengage from social media, not add another one!

Whatsapp isn't really social media though, it's just a messaging platform. If one is trying to disengage they would drop Facebook and move over to Whatsapp.

Anyway, no big deal, people can clearly use whatever works to keep in contact and Facebook works fine for you :).

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024