Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Forwards 19:03 - Aug 25 with 5572 viewsJDAndCoke

Anyone a little worried about our situation with strikers currently? Jackson missing today with no mention by PL in post match interview (notably as he listed every other absentee). Hawkins not fit, not had a pre-season by all accounts. God only knows what Norwood is up to and Aaron Drinan has played the most minutes up top for us in pre season...

Am I right to be concerned or overthinking this?
Centre Forwards on 19:05 - Aug 25 with 3660 viewsBlueBadger

I'm less concerned about our forwards than our back line.

47 year old Chambers is our best CB after Woolfenden, FFS.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Centre Forwards on 19:10 - Aug 25 with 3641 viewsCokeIsKey

If we want to get promoted we’ll need a new striker who is fit, has enough height and strength to win areal battles and is also proven to score lots of goals at this level - something we don’t have.

That and a ball playing centre-back which we can probably get on loan for cheap. Can’t play Lambert’s football with captain calamity or Toto on the pitch.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Centre Forwards on 19:12 - Aug 25 with 3638 viewsPhilTWTD

That was out fault, we forgot to ask about Jackson, forgot Skusey as well. I'm assuming they'll both have minor niggles.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Centre Forwards on 19:14 - Aug 25 with 3613 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Centre Forwards on 19:10 - Aug 25 by CokeIsKey

If we want to get promoted we’ll need a new striker who is fit, has enough height and strength to win areal battles and is also proven to score lots of goals at this level - something we don’t have.

That and a ball playing centre-back which we can probably get on loan for cheap. Can’t play Lambert’s football with captain calamity or Toto on the pitch.

The striker you have described, will cost close to £10m. Best go for plan D I think.
Centre Forwards on 19:44 - Aug 25 with 3518 viewsDubtractor

I'm a bit concerned tbh.

We struggled for goals last season, our 'main' striker hasn't even started training yet, and the only attacking player we have signed isn't a goalscorer.

We can only hope that Lankester returning is a game changer for us.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Centre Forwards on 19:46 - Aug 25 with 3504 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forwards on 19:44 - Aug 25 by Dubtractor

I'm a bit concerned tbh.

We struggled for goals last season, our 'main' striker hasn't even started training yet, and the only attacking player we have signed isn't a goalscorer.

We can only hope that Lankester returning is a game changer for us.

If they stay fit, I see Sears and Lankester both adding 10+ goals for us this season. (Feel free to dig this out in 12 months time).

And Jackson and Norwood were both on their way to 15+ goals last season.

If given the service, I think our front men will perform.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Centre Forwards on 19:53 - Aug 25 with 3468 viewsDubtractor

Centre Forwards on 19:46 - Aug 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

If they stay fit, I see Sears and Lankester both adding 10+ goals for us this season. (Feel free to dig this out in 12 months time).

And Jackson and Norwood were both on their way to 15+ goals last season.

If given the service, I think our front men will perform.

When I refer to attacking players I mean midfield creators too. I'm not sure that the service or the dispatch has been fixed currently.

Unless, as I say, Lankester makes the difference.

Or Lambert has a tactical masterstroke up his sleeve!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Centre Forwards on 19:55 - Aug 25 with 3461 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Hopefully the last 2 games will convince the manager that Norwood needs to have a future here. I actually think that the likes of Norwood Sears and Jackson would be a really potent front 3

Poll: Our final position

Login to get fewer ads

Centre Forwards on 19:58 - Aug 25 with 3442 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forwards on 19:53 - Aug 25 by Dubtractor

When I refer to attacking players I mean midfield creators too. I'm not sure that the service or the dispatch has been fixed currently.

Lankester and Sears are players that we didn't have last season, so it's fair of Lambert to assume that they can make a difference and almost treat them as new signings.

El Miz also looking pretty sharp, and I'd rather he gets a chance than sign someone who cuts his pathway off.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Centre Forwards on 20:07 - Aug 25 with 3415 viewsDubtractor

Centre Forwards on 19:58 - Aug 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Lankester and Sears are players that we didn't have last season, so it's fair of Lambert to assume that they can make a difference and almost treat them as new signings.

El Miz also looking pretty sharp, and I'd rather he gets a chance than sign someone who cuts his pathway off.

Agree re El Mizouni.

I suspect my pessimism stems from 2 areas.

1) I have almost no faith in Lambert getting it right, let alone with much the same squad as last season.

2) I am in a bit of a funk at the moment and instinctively think the worst about stuff.

Centre Forwards on 20:11 - Aug 25 with 3396 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forwards on 20:07 - Aug 25 by Dubtractor

Agree re El Mizouni.

I suspect my pessimism stems from 2 areas.

1) I have almost no faith in Lambert getting it right, let alone with much the same squad as last season.

2) I am in a bit of a funk at the moment and instinctively think the worst about stuff.

I'm with you on point 1, and can understand point 2!

Centre Forwards on 20:26 - Aug 25 with 3342 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Yes it's a concern but can see Jackson starting Sat and Norwood getting last 30 and we can all sleep better hopefully.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Centre Forwards on 20:27 - Aug 25 with 3341 viewsJDAndCoke

Centre Forwards on 19:12 - Aug 25 by PhilTWTD

That was out fault, we forgot to ask about Jackson, forgot Skusey as well. I'm assuming they'll both have minor niggles.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Cheers Phil, fair enough
Centre Forwards on 20:29 - Aug 25 with 3332 viewsWickets

Centre Forwards on 19:05 - Aug 25 by BlueBadger

I'm less concerned about our forwards than our back line.

47 year old Chambers is our best CB after Woolfenden, FFS.

Yer we really need a decent centre back !
Centre Forwards on 20:31 - Aug 25 with 3325 viewsJDAndCoke

Centre Forwards on 19:53 - Aug 25 by Dubtractor

Can't help thinking we're maybe putting too much emphasis on Lankester. Looks a great player with a lot of potential but he's been out for nearly 2 years and he only played 11 games for us then. To think he's going to play a full season is very optimistic
Centre Forwards on 20:34 - Aug 25 with 3304 viewsJDAndCoke

Centre Forwards on 19:58 - Aug 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wouldn't be surprised if El Miz goes out on loan again until January. A lot of senior players ahead of him in that position and we don't want him sitting on the bench and playing U23s football all the time. Seemed to have benefited from being at Cambridge until his injury so maybe for the best again
Centre Forwards on 20:36 - Aug 25 with 3294 viewsSm00411

I seem to be part of a minority that's been impressed with Drinan. A lot of people seem to have written him off already. From what I've seen he's shown some neat hold-up/link-up play with the Midfield, he's willing to defend from the front and you can see he actually understands the way we want to play. I'm sure he won't score more than 15 a season but neither does Firmino and he's integral to Liverpool's play.

That leaves us with Jackson and Norwood, who would walk into most starting XI's in the league, let alone squads, having to work to take the shirt off him. I'd say we're quite healthy in that department.
Centre Forwards on 20:41 - Aug 25 with 3272 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forwards on 20:31 - Aug 25 by JDAndCoke

Can't help thinking we're maybe putting too much emphasis on Lankester. Looks a great player with a lot of potential but he's been out for nearly 2 years and he only played 11 games for us then. To think he's going to play a full season is very optimistic

We shall see won't we.

Think he'll be used sparingly to start with and then become a regular.

Centre Forwards on 20:42 - Aug 25 with 3265 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forwards on 20:34 - Aug 25 by JDAndCoke

Wouldn't be surprised if El Miz goes out on loan again until January. A lot of senior players ahead of him in that position and we don't want him sitting on the bench and playing U23s football all the time. Seemed to have benefited from being at Cambridge until his injury so maybe for the best again

I don't think he will, he's too good to go back out on loan.

I think Dobra may be loaned.

Centre Forwards on 20:50 - Aug 25 with 3235 viewsWickets

Centre Forwards on 20:36 - Aug 25 by Sm00411

I seem to be part of a minority that's been impressed with Drinan. A lot of people seem to have written him off already. From what I've seen he's shown some neat hold-up/link-up play with the Midfield, he's willing to defend from the front and you can see he actually understands the way we want to play. I'm sure he won't score more than 15 a season but neither does Firmino and he's integral to Liverpool's play.

That leaves us with Jackson and Norwood, who would walk into most starting XI's in the league, let alone squads, having to work to take the shirt off him. I'd say we're quite healthy in that department.

I think Drinan has done all he possible could to catch the eye , played with his back to goal held the ball up pretty well only wasted it once or twice . I have said on another thread that he has done every bit as much as Will Keane did when he played last season . He deserves his chance to stay in the squad .
Centre Forwards on 21:05 - Aug 25 with 3146 viewsJDAndCoke

Centre Forwards on 20:42 - Aug 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think he will, he's too good to go back out on loan.

I think Dobra may be loaned.

Certainly think one of them will go out on loan. Dobra offers a bit more versatility for me in terms of playing wide and number 10 which may go in his favour. Either way think they both need a lot of game time this year to improve either with us or out on loan
Centre Forwards on 21:07 - Aug 25 with 3128 viewsJDAndCoke

Centre Forwards on 20:36 - Aug 25 by Sm00411

I don't disagree about Drinan although he's very inexperienced to throw in to a promotion chasing team from the off. Not saying he can't hack it as you need to be given a chance to prove yourself and in pre season he's done himself no harm but I've also seen plenty of players look like world beaters in pre season to fade away in a 46 game campaign (Danny Rowe last year as an example)
Centre Forwards on 21:07 - Aug 25 with 3125 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forwards on 21:05 - Aug 25 by JDAndCoke

Certainly think one of them will go out on loan. Dobra offers a bit more versatility for me in terms of playing wide and number 10 which may go in his favour. Either way think they both need a lot of game time this year to improve either with us or out on loan

I think El Miz seems to have the temperament and confidence for first team football.

I expect him to make at least 20 appearances for us this season, either from the bench or starting.

Centre Forwards on 21:53 - Aug 25 with 3007 viewsITFC_Forever

Concerned about both ends of the pitch. Don’t score / create enough, concede too many.

Not a good equation.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Centre Forwards on 21:55 - Aug 25 with 2994 viewsBlueBadger

Centre Forwards on 20:29 - Aug 25 by Wickets

Yer we really need a decent centre back !

We need more than one...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024