Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the deal 20:22 - Oct 8 with 3087 viewsGarv

with commentators almost cheekily suggesting players should go down after they've been touched in the box?

Sam Matterface the latest offender while watching the Calvert-Lewin just now. It's this kind of sht that encourages the behaviour.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What's the deal on 20:53 - Oct 8 with 3037 viewsTractorCam

Yep, if he then does that in the 2nd half the commentator will have a dig at him for cheating.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What's the deal on 20:53 - Oct 8 with 3035 viewsWickets

Yes i noticed that too and to be honest it was such a tiny touch it would have been a cheat . So well done Calvert Lewin for staying on your feet .
What's the deal on 21:57 - Oct 8 with 2985 viewsstrikalite

Well diving whether we like it or not is now firmly rooted in our game, when Alan Shearer said "if a player feels contact then he's entitled to go down" you know the game is lost forever...
What's the deal on 00:47 - Oct 9 with 2913 viewsGarv

What's the deal on 21:57 - Oct 8 by strikalite

Well diving whether we like it or not is now firmly rooted in our game, when Alan Shearer said "if a player feels contact then he's entitled to go down" you know the game is lost forever...

Its sad how it's become accepted now, to be honest I blame the likes of Shearer and broadcasters in general for letting it become the norm.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What's the deal on 01:20 - Oct 9 with 2891 viewsBonchosBicycle

It's become one of the worst things in the English game of the last 20 years or so. We used to thrill in a forward riding dodgy tackles and refusing to go down. We used to mock the European game for its diving and play acting. Now we cleverly draw fouls...

I feel I should say "Get off my lawn" now.
What's the deal on 04:31 - Oct 9 with 2871 viewsBlueRaider

If refs gave the foul for being impeded without going down they wouldn't need to.

How many times have you seen a player stay on his feet, then shank the shot because he was slightly off balance but trying to stay up ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

What's the deal on 04:55 - Oct 9 with 2861 viewsjeera

What's the deal on 01:20 - Oct 9 by BonchosBicycle

It's become one of the worst things in the English game of the last 20 years or so. We used to thrill in a forward riding dodgy tackles and refusing to go down. We used to mock the European game for its diving and play acting. Now we cleverly draw fouls...

"Won" a free kick/penalty is one of my most hated phrases in the game.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 4:55]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What's the deal on 08:04 - Oct 9 with 2800 viewsRadlett_blue

What's the deal on 04:31 - Oct 9 by BlueRaider

If refs gave the foul for being impeded without going down they wouldn't need to.

How many times have you seen a player stay on his feet, then shank the shot because he was slightly off balance but trying to stay up ?

If no contact is allowed at all, then football ceases to be football & becomes basketball. That's very different from a player being pulled back with an arm, which should be a free kick or penalty every time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

What's the deal on 08:06 - Oct 9 with 2798 viewsMattinLondon

I don’t understand what makes diving a worse offence than a defender grabbing hold of a strikers shirt or trying in some other underhand method at gaining an advantage.

Makes me laugh when old school defenders suggest that a defender should let the striker know that he is there but going in hard in the first few minute of the game. But then lost their sht if the striker goes down easily in the box. At worse the attacking player gets a yellow card rather than serious injury with a deliberate bad tackle or even push.
What's the deal on 08:26 - Oct 9 with 2776 viewsMattinLondon

What's the deal on 01:20 - Oct 9 by BonchosBicycle

The irony of a poster mocking players that dive whilst having an avatar of Bontcho.
What's the deal on 08:47 - Oct 9 with 2743 viewsuefacup81

What's the deal on 04:31 - Oct 9 by BlueRaider

I'd suggest that 'unbalancing' players has always been part and parcel of football. Surely that was one of the aims of the good old-fashioned shoulder barge?

If you legislate all forms of contact out of the game, you're only going to create a situation where an attacking player is essentially entitled to a free run at goal.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

What's the deal on 09:05 - Oct 9 with 2729 viewsWeWereZombies

What's the deal on 08:47 - Oct 9 by uefacup81

I'd suggest that 'unbalancing' players has always been part and parcel of football. Surely that was one of the aims of the good old-fashioned shoulder barge?

If you legislate all forms of contact out of the game, you're only going to create a situation where an attacking player is essentially entitled to a free run at goal.

Obstruction used to be penalised all the time, you never hear the word in commentaries or see the offence punished now. Has there been a change in the rules to do away with it?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's the deal on 09:40 - Oct 9 with 2700 viewsuefacup81

What's the deal on 09:05 - Oct 9 by WeWereZombies

Obstruction used to be penalised all the time, you never hear the word in commentaries or see the offence punished now. Has there been a change in the rules to do away with it?

Although, and I'll confess I had to look it up, doesn't the obstruction rule only really refer to situation when "the ball is not within playing distance of either player"?

So body contact which unbalances a player becomes a subjective matter for the referee?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

What's the deal on 10:24 - Oct 9 with 2680 viewsWeWereZombies

What's the deal on 09:40 - Oct 9 by uefacup81

Although, and I'll confess I had to look it up, doesn't the obstruction rule only really refer to situation when "the ball is not within playing distance of either player"?

So body contact which unbalances a player becomes a subjective matter for the referee?

Ah, that explains why Eric Gates only got half the penalties he appealed for...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's the deal on 11:57 - Oct 9 with 2650 viewsMattinLondon

What's the deal on 10:24 - Oct 9 by WeWereZombies

Ah, that explains why Eric Gates only got half the penalties he appealed for...

Did Eric Gates like a dive?
What's the deal on 17:03 - Oct 9 with 2609 viewsWickets

What's the deal on 09:05 - Oct 9 by WeWereZombies

An indirect free kick used to be awarded for obstruction but i seem to remember there has been a rule change a good few years ago but i'm not sure when exactly .
What's the deal on 17:26 - Oct 9 with 2599 viewsArnoldMoorhen

What's the deal on 11:57 - Oct 9 by MattinLondon

Are Bears Catholic?

Does the Pope sht in the woods?

The answers are:

Yes, sometimes in the box, sometimes out of the box.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Yes, if you knew John Wark was right behind you, and would happily step up and take one, wouldn't you?

Not sure i got them in the right order, though...
What's the deal on 17:34 - Oct 9 with 2585 viewsbournemouthblue

I blame Michael Owen

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What's the deal on 22:20 - Oct 9 with 2529 viewsm14_blue

What's the deal on 08:06 - Oct 9 by MattinLondon

I don’t understand what makes diving a worse offence than a defender grabbing hold of a strikers shirt or trying in some other underhand method at gaining an advantage.

Makes me laugh when old school defenders suggest that a defender should let the striker know that he is there but going in hard in the first few minute of the game. But then lost their sht if the striker goes down easily in the box. At worse the attacking player gets a yellow card rather than serious injury with a deliberate bad tackle or even push.

I’m not defending serious foul play (really bad tackles) but I do think there’s a difference between committing a foul yourself, often unintentionally, and deliberately trying to trick the referee into believing someone else has committed a foul.
What's the deal on 00:04 - Oct 10 with 2486 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Jürgen Klinsmann. He started it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024