Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre halves 20:26 - Oct 19 with 2436 viewslmfcblue

Will be interesting to see how this goes this season. At the moment Toto and Wilson looking good as a pair.
Will Arsenal put any pressure on us to play Mcguinness and Wolfie will be needing games.
It’s not it’s a position you can just give them a runout if thr games tight.
Centre halves on 20:56 - Oct 19 with 1893 viewsDubtractor

I'm of the view that at CB, as you infer, you stick to what is working and it isn't one for making a change for the sake of it with 20 minutes to go.

I've not been a fan of Toto at all, and Wilson is a limited stopper, but they've not put a foot wrong in 6 games. Initially I put that down to p1ss poor opposition, but I think I may have forgotten that most teams are just pretty poor at this level.

Wolfie needs games, but I think he's going to have to wait for an opportunity, either through injury or lack of form from Toto and WIlson.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Centre halves on 21:36 - Oct 19 with 1815 viewsHeadWestBlue

Toto and James Wilson have performed better than anyone expected them to do. The expectations having been set from what fans saw of them last year. The opposition to date have been poor and the pair have done all of the basics well.

Due to injury The Wolf missed the first couple of games of the season, I believe that any combination of Toto, Wilson or Wolf would have helped Town be top of the table with the standard of opposition we have played so far.

With no disrespect to McGuinness, I have only seen him in action once, I really am not sure what sort of message it sends out if we play a loanee before The Wolf.

It would hardly be motivational for The Wolf, or Ndaba for that matter.
Centre halves on 08:38 - Oct 20 with 1608 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I dont know why everyone is so down on Wilson, thought.he was one of our better players last season.

He's not flashy but he does job simply and effectively. He's usually in the right place, doesn't seem to make to many mistakes (how many goals can anyone recall from a Wilson mistake this or last season) and most importantly he clears his lines.

Simple and effective, the value of which is vastly under appreciated in modern football.

James Wilson does what he needs to do, week in week out, I think he one of our most underated players.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Centre halves on 08:42 - Oct 20 with 1599 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 08:38 - Oct 20 by BlueandTruesince82

I dont know why everyone is so down on Wilson, thought.he was one of our better players last season.

He's not flashy but he does job simply and effectively. He's usually in the right place, doesn't seem to make to many mistakes (how many goals can anyone recall from a Wilson mistake this or last season) and most importantly he clears his lines.

Simple and effective, the value of which is vastly under appreciated in modern football.

James Wilson does what he needs to do, week in week out, I think he one of our most underated players.

You make a good argument, I think it's question of how much he limits us when on the ball but no doubt he does what he does well and is perfectly adequate at this level.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Centre halves on 10:04 - Oct 20 with 1535 viewsEly_Blue

Centre halves on 08:42 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

You make a good argument, I think it's question of how much he limits us when on the ball but no doubt he does what he does well and is perfectly adequate at this level.

No more than Berra did when he was here, he was also a limited CB too but effective

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Centre halves on 10:08 - Oct 20 with 1526 viewsBiGDonnie

Whilst they have done well, I'd look to get Woolf back in next to Toto asap and get them building on a partnership.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Centre halves on 12:49 - Oct 20 with 1466 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Centre halves on 08:42 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

Not that much IMO, is he a ball playing CB, no. But how often does he give the ball away, he may pick simple passes more often but thats just awareness of both his game and that of the players around him.

He reads the game well, he's resolute, talks a lot, communicates well and puts a solid 7 out of 10 or better most weeks.

Equally I feel if you do have the right balance in a team then having 1 player of that ilk is an asset. Sometimes you need someone who has the presence of mind to take the decision to clear it instead of pussy footing around.

Equally how many teams sign that ball playing centre half only to find out they can't really defend.

To me is the Ken Doherty of our side. Probabaly not the best at anything but good at everything he does and he makes the best of the talents he does have, which I also think points to a strong mentality, the importance of which can't be overstated.

Whether he is good enough for the champ if we go up remains to be seen I grant you but I'd want him in the squad and maybe he is. Until we get there we wont know but I don't think he has let us down once when he has played. Always puts a shift in, rarely the man to cost us and gets on with his job under the radar.

I'm not saying he's Terry Butcher or anything but think we underestimate his value to the team

Centre halves on 13:05 - Oct 20 with 1441 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 12:49 - Oct 20 by BlueandTruesince82

Not that much IMO, is he a ball playing CB, no. But how often does he give the ball away, he may pick simple passes more often but thats just awareness of both his game and that of the players around him.

He reads the game well, he's resolute, talks a lot, communicates well and puts a solid 7 out of 10 or better most weeks.

Equally I feel if you do have the right balance in a team then having 1 player of that ilk is an asset. Sometimes you need someone who has the presence of mind to take the decision to clear it instead of pussy footing around.

Equally how many teams sign that ball playing centre half only to find out they can't really defend.

To me is the Ken Doherty of our side. Probabaly not the best at anything but good at everything he does and he makes the best of the talents he does have, which I also think points to a strong mentality, the importance of which can't be overstated.

Whether he is good enough for the champ if we go up remains to be seen I grant you but I'd want him in the squad and maybe he is. Until we get there we wont know but I don't think he has let us down once when he has played. Always puts a shift in, rarely the man to cost us and gets on with his job under the radar.

I'm not saying he's Terry Butcher or anything but think we underestimate his value to the team

Again, I don't disagree with you. Maybe it's the modern fascination with "ball playing center backs", but should this really apply in the third tier? There is definitely something to be said for thumping it into row Z and removing the danger, rather than trying to overplay and putting yourself in trouble.

I did find it interesting to see his pass completion percentage against Accrington was better than Chambers and slightly ahead of Nsiala.

Login to get fewer ads

Centre halves on 13:06 - Oct 20 with 1437 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 10:04 - Oct 20 by Ely_Blue

No more than Berra did when he was here, he was also a limited CB too but effective

Very much so, I was a big fan of Berra despite his octopus moments.

Centre halves on 13:13 - Oct 20 with 1419 viewsDarth_Koont

I think McGuinness could also come in for Kenlock. He looked very comfortable and strong in those left-sided positions when he played against us.

But I think in general the back 4 isn’t something we should touch until people pick up injuries or drop form. Chambers is a shoo-in on the right, and having two no-nonsense CBs that can handle themselves without much protection ahead of them has been instrumental in helping Dozzell and a midfield three work.

Pronouns: He/Him

Centre halves on 13:15 - Oct 20 with 1414 viewstractorboy1978

Wilson is a better defender than Woolfenden if you define defender using the parameters up to about 5 years ago. Woolfenden actually looked really sloppy I thought in the game against Gillingham a couple of weeks ago.
Centre halves on 13:18 - Oct 20 with 1396 viewsBluefish

Centre halves on 20:56 - Oct 19 by Dubtractor

I'm of the view that at CB, as you infer, you stick to what is working and it isn't one for making a change for the sake of it with 20 minutes to go.

I've not been a fan of Toto at all, and Wilson is a limited stopper, but they've not put a foot wrong in 6 games. Initially I put that down to p1ss poor opposition, but I think I may have forgotten that most teams are just pretty poor at this level.

Wolfie needs games, but I think he's going to have to wait for an opportunity, either through injury or lack of form from Toto and WIlson.

Lots of people saying stick with what is working but we definitely haven't been tested by any of the better attacking teams in the league yet. Why wait until we get found out just because it worked the week before, I am all for partnerships but I think we should be full strength.

Toto has defended well and uses his strength to get himself out of trouble he really is a world beater to panel beater type player. Wilson is doing well for him but is very limited and still really doing a job at best for me. If we want to be clear and away winners of this division in style I hope we get to see Woolf and McGuiness soon. It seems to be we are justing waiting for it to go wrong for the sake of it.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Centre halves on 13:23 - Oct 20 with 1393 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 13:18 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

Lots of people saying stick with what is working but we definitely haven't been tested by any of the better attacking teams in the league yet. Why wait until we get found out just because it worked the week before, I am all for partnerships but I think we should be full strength.

Toto has defended well and uses his strength to get himself out of trouble he really is a world beater to panel beater type player. Wilson is doing well for him but is very limited and still really doing a job at best for me. If we want to be clear and away winners of this division in style I hope we get to see Woolf and McGuiness soon. It seems to be we are justing waiting for it to go wrong for the sake of it.

If Lambert changes a winning formula he'll immediately be lambasted for "Lambingo". The bloke can't win.

Btw your last sentence is ridiculous.

Centre halves on 13:26 - Oct 20 with 1380 viewsEly_Blue

Centre halves on 13:18 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

And along comes the doom monger to pour water on the flames!

FFS we’ve conceded 2 goals in 6 league games and you talk about changing the CB pairing now?

🤷🤦

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Centre halves on 13:27 - Oct 20 with 1368 viewsBluefish

Centre halves on 13:23 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

If Lambert changes a winning formula he'll immediately be lambasted for "Lambingo". The bloke can't win.

No one has said lambingo at all this season. Making tweaks for form or fitness is what normal managers do. Refusing to change a side or changing it completely every game is what idiots do

Centre halves on 13:28 - Oct 20 with 1372 viewsEwan_Oozami

Centre halves on 13:23 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

What Bluefish means is that *he* is waiting for it to all go wrong...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Centre halves on 13:36 - Oct 20 with 1345 viewsBluefish

Centre halves on 13:28 - Oct 20 by Ewan_Oozami

What Bluefish means is that *he* is waiting for it to all go wrong...

Because I want us to pick woolfenden?

Another example of me being in people's head. Just scroll up, lots have said they want woolfenden as well but you haven't flounced back to any of them

Centre halves on 13:37 - Oct 20 with 1347 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 13:27 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

No one has said lambingo at all this season. Making tweaks for form or fitness is what normal managers do. Refusing to change a side or changing it completely every game is what idiots do

What tweak for form or fitness needs to be made concerning Nsiala and Wilson? We've conceded just 2 goals in 6 games!

Centre halves on 13:39 - Oct 20 with 1339 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 13:36 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

Because I want us to pick woolfenden?

Another example of me being in people's head. Just scroll up, lots have said they want woolfenden as well but you haven't flounced back to any of them

Default is literally the only person who has said he would bring Woolf in at this point. Are you sure you're not in your own head?

Centre halves on 13:40 - Oct 20 with 1330 viewsBluefish

Centre halves on 13:37 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

What tweak for form or fitness needs to be made concerning Nsiala and Wilson? We've conceded just 2 goals in 6 games!

You do you

Centre halves on 13:43 - Oct 20 with 1327 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 13:40 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

You do you

I think these are my favourite blubfish posts, the ones where following someone pointing out that you're talking absolute tripe you just reply with some meaningless nonsense in lieu of being able to justify your own argument

Centre halves on 13:58 - Oct 20 with 1308 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Centre halves on 13:27 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

You say normal managers make changes for form and fitness but RN Toto and Wilson are in form, 2 conceded in 6. Thats form, doesn't matter who we've played.

They match sharp and currently defending well. You advocate breaking up a working partnerships im order to build another just as that partnership starts to really develop and you want to do it just as we have 3 big games comming up? Thats not the time to go tinkering.

Equally Lambert has made tweaks in the starting 11 this year so to say he hasn't done so is factually wrong, Freddy last week a case in point.

Woolfenden is a more skilful player but thats doesnt make him a better player. Long term it should do but he's a little to causal at times and that is the sort of thing that could cost us, esp vs the better teams.

Fact is so far our back 4 has been solid and until they are not why would we change that. You want to say to players "play well and get dropped" isn't one of things we all gave Lambo stick for.

We can't say it won't go wrong, we cant say that one of them wont make an error but nor can we say that changing it wont cause the same.

We can say they are playing well, they have been tighter than a nuns #### this season so far as reflected in both the goals against and differnce columns and on that basis you that warrants changing?

I have to think you just like the craic on here because it's totally against logic and reason

Centre halves on 14:02 - Oct 20 with 1292 viewsBluefish

Centre halves on 13:58 - Oct 20 by BlueandTruesince82

You say normal managers make changes for form and fitness but RN Toto and Wilson are in form, 2 conceded in 6. Thats form, doesn't matter who we've played.

They match sharp and currently defending well. You advocate breaking up a working partnerships im order to build another just as that partnership starts to really develop and you want to do it just as we have 3 big games comming up? Thats not the time to go tinkering.

Equally Lambert has made tweaks in the starting 11 this year so to say he hasn't done so is factually wrong, Freddy last week a case in point.

Woolfenden is a more skilful player but thats doesnt make him a better player. Long term it should do but he's a little to causal at times and that is the sort of thing that could cost us, esp vs the better teams.

Fact is so far our back 4 has been solid and until they are not why would we change that. You want to say to players "play well and get dropped" isn't one of things we all gave Lambo stick for.

We can't say it won't go wrong, we cant say that one of them wont make an error but nor can we say that changing it wont cause the same.

We can say they are playing well, they have been tighter than a nuns #### this season so far as reflected in both the goals against and differnce columns and on that basis you that warrants changing?

I have to think you just like the craic on here because it's totally against logic and reason

Woolf didn't play because of fitness, he is now back

Kenlock will provide adequate cover and play well but again a good managers puts us back to full strength and puts ward back in when available

We won with judge up front because Hawkins wasn't fit indomt expect to stay that way just because

Centre halves on 14:13 - Oct 20 with 1284 viewsSouperJim

Centre halves on 14:02 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

Woolf didn't play because of fitness, he is now back

Kenlock will provide adequate cover and play well but again a good managers puts us back to full strength and puts ward back in when available

We won with judge up front because Hawkins wasn't fit indomt expect to stay that way just because

There's a world of difference between a young player like Woolf missing the start of the campaign and more experienced players forming a partnership in his absence, and Ward a full international with over 500 career appearances missing two games because of a knock.

It's really not that complicated.

Centre halves on 14:16 - Oct 20 with 1275 viewsRadlett_blue

Centre halves on 13:58 - Oct 20 by BlueandTruesince82

Indeed, Toto & Wilson - especially the former - have surpassed expectations so far this season. Many of us berated Lambert for endlessly chopping & changing personnel & formations last season & as we've conceded 2 goals in 6 league games, it would be daft to mess about with the back 5.
Woolf will have to wait for his chance. He could also be an option at RB.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024