Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) 18:42 - Nov 2 with 2098 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I have two 'space map' apps on my phone and both are showing the moon in a different position to where it actually is (so everything's off, basically). I've tried calibrating the compass... anything else I can try (and indeed, do you recommend a space map app that might be more accurate)?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 10:56 - Nov 3 with 1159 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Stokers or Badger, you guys might know about this sort of thing?!

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:00 - Nov 3 with 1156 viewsclive_baker

Don't know much about space apps as I downloaded one once which was crap so swiftly deleted it.

Did you get your telescope?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:06 - Nov 3 with 1154 viewsSaleAway

First things first - have you verified that the calibration of the compass is right? Can you identify exactly where north is from where you are, and then check with something like OS Locate app that they compass is accurately pointing in the right direction.

Secondly - are both space apps showing the moon in the same area? ( i.e. are they both "the same wrong").

Thirdly, can you share which apps you are using. I've used Google sky map, and its been fairly good.

Are you an android or a iphone user?

Finally - are you in a built up area? Does it work better if you're out in a field ( sometimes buildings, lumps of metal, signal reflections etc can effect how your phone locates itself - as it uses GPS, gyroscope, cell towers and wifi)
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 11:07]

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:10 - Nov 3 with 1146 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:00 - Nov 3 by clive_baker

Don't know much about space apps as I downloaded one once which was crap so swiftly deleted it.

Did you get your telescope?

I got binoculars (and a tripod) in the end, for easier transportation/less setting up.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:11 - Nov 3 with 1146 viewsSteve_M

What are you using? I have Star Walk and occasionally it's a bit off but I think that's partly down to the horizon.

How accurate are they for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars? All of which are visible at the moment in the evening.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-v

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:17 - Nov 3 with 1135 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:06 - Nov 3 by SaleAway

First things first - have you verified that the calibration of the compass is right? Can you identify exactly where north is from where you are, and then check with something like OS Locate app that they compass is accurately pointing in the right direction.

Secondly - are both space apps showing the moon in the same area? ( i.e. are they both "the same wrong").

Thirdly, can you share which apps you are using. I've used Google sky map, and its been fairly good.

Are you an android or a iphone user?

Finally - are you in a built up area? Does it work better if you're out in a field ( sometimes buildings, lumps of metal, signal reflections etc can effect how your phone locates itself - as it uses GPS, gyroscope, cell towers and wifi)
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 11:07]

Thanks for your advice.

1. No idea how I identify exactly where north is without a compass! I'll have a look at OS Locate though.

2. Yes, both apps are showing the moon at the same wrong.

3. I have Google Sky Map (always been very good in the past) and SkyView Free.

4. Android (Huawei P10 Lite)

5. Not a massively built up area, outskirts of London. Not had chance to go to a field and check yet!

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:18 - Nov 3 with 1132 viewsclive_baker

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:10 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

I got binoculars (and a tripod) in the end, for easier transportation/less setting up.

Fair.

I'm thinking of investing in a telescope as a lockdown present to myself. I've long had an interest in Astronomy through books but never owned a telescope of my own.

On a similar note if any one has any good book suggestions I would be keen to hear them.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:39 - Nov 3 with 1111 viewsSaleAway

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:17 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Thanks for your advice.

1. No idea how I identify exactly where north is without a compass! I'll have a look at OS Locate though.

5. Not a massively built up area, outskirts of London. Not had chance to go to a field and check yet!

If you have a map ( google maps), and you know where you are... then you should be able to identify north without too much trouble.... Google maps defaults its view on a computer to have north at the top ( like a normal map), so you can look at it - and either identify a landmark that you can see from your house, and work out what heading that is, and from that identify where north is.... or, more simply, look for roads that run horizontally ( east west), or vertically ( north/south), and that should give you a pretty good steer....

It does sound like your calibration of compass is out... I find it does drift over time, so is worth re-calibrating reasonably regularly.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:46 - Nov 3 with 1099 viewsStokieBlue

Historically I've used this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.t11.skyviewfree&hl=en_GB&gl=US

It's always been fine for me, it sounds like you might want to download an app to make sure the compass and GPS are correctly calibrated.

Maybe worth nothing that you might not need a hugely detailed app when using binoculars - you should be able to find all the stuff you can realistically see fairly easily. For instance one of the best things to view, especially from London, is the Jovian system. If you view it regularly you can see the moons moving around their orbits of Jupiter like a miniature solar system.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:46 - Nov 3 with 1097 viewsKeno

I have it on good authority if you put the down on the ground then stand astride it then bend over to look at the screen you may catch a glimpse of Uranus

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 12:15 - Nov 3 with 1076 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:46 - Nov 3 by StokieBlue

Historically I've used this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.t11.skyviewfree&hl=en_GB&gl=US

It's always been fine for me, it sounds like you might want to download an app to make sure the compass and GPS are correctly calibrated.

Maybe worth nothing that you might not need a hugely detailed app when using binoculars - you should be able to find all the stuff you can realistically see fairly easily. For instance one of the best things to view, especially from London, is the Jovian system. If you view it regularly you can see the moons moving around their orbits of Jupiter like a miniature solar system.

SB

Hmm, it's not fairly easy if you've never done it before!

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 12:25 - Nov 3 with 1066 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:39 - Nov 3 by SaleAway

If you have a map ( google maps), and you know where you are... then you should be able to identify north without too much trouble.... Google maps defaults its view on a computer to have north at the top ( like a normal map), so you can look at it - and either identify a landmark that you can see from your house, and work out what heading that is, and from that identify where north is.... or, more simply, look for roads that run horizontally ( east west), or vertically ( north/south), and that should give you a pretty good steer....

It does sound like your calibration of compass is out... I find it does drift over time, so is worth re-calibrating reasonably regularly.

Right, done all that. One thing I didn't realise is you need to re-start the device to re-calibrate the compass. We'll see tonight (when I have the moon to judge by) if it's worked.

Thanks all!

p.s. If Stokers or others want to offer any tips on spotting things, I'm all ears! I can spot Orion's Belt and Ursa Major no problem, after that I'm struggling a bit.

p.p.s. The moon looks amazing through the binoculars - can see the craters, shadows of the craters etc.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:19 - Nov 3 with 1032 viewsSteve_M

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 12:25 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Right, done all that. One thing I didn't realise is you need to re-start the device to re-calibrate the compass. We'll see tonight (when I have the moon to judge by) if it's worked.

Thanks all!

p.s. If Stokers or others want to offer any tips on spotting things, I'm all ears! I can spot Orion's Belt and Ursa Major no problem, after that I'm struggling a bit.

p.p.s. The moon looks amazing through the binoculars - can see the craters, shadows of the craters etc.

Hmmm, gave you a link here to spot three planets in the evening (and two in the morning).

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) by Steve_M 3 Nov 2020 11:11
What are you using? I have Star Walk and occasionally it's a bit off but I think that's partly down to the horizon.

How accurate are they for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars? All of which are visible at the moment in the evening.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:39 - Nov 3 with 1020 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:19 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

Hmmm, gave you a link here to spot three planets in the evening (and two in the morning).

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) by Steve_M 3 Nov 2020 11:11

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Cheers!

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 14:24 - Nov 3 with 983 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:17 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Thanks for your advice.

Dollers, any compass you have will likely be a magnetic compass. I doubt that it will be corrected either, therefore you would find magnetic North. You could apply variation to get to True North, but you don’t know your compass error either.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 14:26 - Nov 3 with 979 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 12:25 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Thanks all!

If you can spot Ursa Major you can find North!

You can use Orions Belt to find Sirius. There are plenty of things around like Cassiopeia and the Andromeda Galaxy.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:20 - Nov 3 with 961 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 14:26 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

You can use Orions Belt to find Sirius. There are plenty of things around like Cassiopeia and the Andromeda Galaxy.

Don't mean to be rude sea dog, but how do I use Ursa Major to find north?! You have to remember I'm a land lubber, I don't know about these things!

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:35 - Nov 3 with 950 viewsSteve_M

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:20 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Don't mean to be rude sea dog, but how do I use Ursa Major to find north?! You have to remember I'm a land lubber, I don't know about these things!

The two starts on the right of it, follow the line of them up until you see a much brighter star. That's the pole star and the direction you've followed will be north.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/how-do-i-find-the-north-star/

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:48 - Nov 3 with 944 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:35 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

The two starts on the right of it, follow the line of them up until you see a much brighter star. That's the pole star and the direction you've followed will be north.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/how-do-i-find-the-north-star/

Ah brilliant, cheers!

EDIT: Apologies, I think I misunderstood your earlier post. When you said "How accurate are they for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars? All of which are visible at the moment in the evening" did you mean how accurate are the apps? Because if the apps aren't accurate for the moon, they aren't going to be accurate for anything else!
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 15:52]

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:19 - Nov 3 with 931 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:20 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

I see Steve replied. I’ve been tandem feeding twins, and ending up covered in vomit.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:21 - Nov 3 with 929 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:19 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

I see Steve replied. I’ve been tandem feeding twins, and ending up covered in vomit.

I can't believe that's more important than helping me find space stuff!

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:25 - Nov 3 with 924 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:21 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

I can't believe that's more important than helping me find space stuff!

I will teach the twins, they can teach you ;-)

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:38 - Nov 3 with 916 viewsStokieBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 14:26 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

Unfortunately he won't be able to see a lot of them with binoculars in London. I would be surprised if he could see Andromeda and the others are stars and constellations so points of light.

I think the best chances for casual observation with binoculars in London are:

Jovian System
Moon
Pleiades ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades)

He should be able to see some more Messier objects in the countryside. To be honest I haven't really strayed outside the above in London although you could see Saturn well with a telescope.

A good thing to do is similar to what you suggest and that is learn the sky. Learn how to find Sirius and then how to find Polaris and use it to find Cassiopeia. From there how to use Cassiopeia to find where Andromeda should be. Then when he heads to the country he it will be far easier to find things.

We don't all have the pitch black skies you have on board - must be some amazing nights.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:42 - Nov 3 with 911 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:38 - Nov 3 by StokieBlue

Unfortunately he won't be able to see a lot of them with binoculars in London. I would be surprised if he could see Andromeda and the others are stars and constellations so points of light.

Jovian System
Moon

He should be able to see some more Messier objects in the countryside. To be honest I haven't really strayed outside the above in London although you could see Saturn well with a telescope.

A good thing to do is similar to what you suggest and that is learn the sky. Learn how to find Sirius and then how to find Polaris and use it to find Cassiopeia. From there how to use Cassiopeia to find where Andromeda should be. Then when he heads to the country he it will be far easier to find things.

We don't all have the pitch black skies you have on board - must be some amazing nights.

SB

He needs to get out of London!

I can drive along the coast to Souter lighthouse and see so much.

I also have https://kielderobservatory.org/ an hour away.

I love being at sea. In the middle of the ocean I can see everything. It’s magnificent.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:46 - Nov 3 with 907 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:38 - Nov 3 by StokieBlue

Jovian System
Moon

SB

Yeah, we're not far from the country and I plan to take the missus out stargazing one weekend (whether she likes it or not!)

They're pretty strong binoculars - designed for astronomy more than terrestrial stuff actually - but I appreciate the better telescopes will show more. As someone said in my first thread about what to get, these seemed like a good starting point before getting into telescopes and silly money.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024