Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A story that made me angry 15:56 - Dec 21 with 1965 viewsfactual_blue

Why does the fact that he's a 'war veteran' matter?

https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/bury-st-edmunds/news/war-vet-angry-after-being-lef

I was talking with my cousin about this the other day. She does a lot for the poppy appeal, and her son did twenty-two years in the Army. She said it made her blood boil to. Apart from the fact that we both regard 'War Veteran' as applying to those who fought in either world war, his status as an ex-serviceman confers him no preferential treatment in this instance.

He presumably knew his ex-army status would get his petty gripe published. Although I'm sure a phone call to the local council would have achieved the same result.

Some people.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A story that made me angry on 16:01 - Dec 21 with 1896 viewsHARRY10

He was a master chef

and now a grade A p rick
A story that made me angry on 16:02 - Dec 21 with 1896 viewsfooters

No one forced him to join the forces. I'm pretty sure people know the dangers of maybe going to war if you are in that line of work. But I think we're becoming more Americanised with this 'thank you for your service, sir' stuff.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

A story that made me angry on 16:03 - Dec 21 with 1882 viewsGeoffSentence

To be fair to him, he hasn't mentioned it in any of the quotes. This is probably the bury free press asking him about his background and thinking it added to the story.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A story that made me angry on 16:09 - Dec 21 with 1849 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

That gets my goat as well - Hampstead was one who seemed to think being ex-services makes you somehow special. I'd rather doctors and nurses got preferential treatment to ex-army bods.

I did feel sorry for him as a resident unable to park though... until you get to the bottom of the story;

“Residents above the shops are able to apply for a permit to park in Heldhaw Road car park and we will refund Mr Stoker for any fines incurred since the machines were installed earlier this year.”

Total non-story, then.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A story that made me angry on 16:10 - Dec 21 with 1841 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The relevance is explained further down: Mr Stoker added: “As a sufferer of PTSD, this isn’t helping not knowing where to park every day.”

It is clearly disgraceful he is expected to park further down the road which is near a school and must be very dangerous to park - especially when all those parents are busy collecting their children from school.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A story that made me angry on 16:12 - Dec 21 with 1830 viewsfactual_blue

A story that made me angry on 16:09 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

That gets my goat as well - Hampstead was one who seemed to think being ex-services makes you somehow special. I'd rather doctors and nurses got preferential treatment to ex-army bods.

I did feel sorry for him as a resident unable to park though... until you get to the bottom of the story;

“Residents above the shops are able to apply for a permit to park in Heldhaw Road car park and we will refund Mr Stoker for any fines incurred since the machines were installed earlier this year.”

Total non-story, then.

As I said, he could have sorted it all out with one phone call to the council.

But instead he wants to get his picture in the paper.

A story that made me angry on 16:15 - Dec 21 with 1814 viewsIllinoisblue

Just bog standard local rag looking for an angle. Of course, as the very last paragraph explains, there really isn’t a story here.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A story that made me angry on 16:15 - Dec 21 with 1799 viewsJ2BLUE

Blame the site. They know it presses the buttons of certain types.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

A story that made me angry on 16:32 - Dec 21 with 1750 viewsjeera

A story that made me angry on 16:15 - Dec 21 by Illinoisblue

Just bog standard local rag looking for an angle. Of course, as the very last paragraph explains, there really isn’t a story here.

Dunno.

The obvious 'war vet' nonsense aside, I would be pee'd off if I'd been parking outside my own home for years then suddenly the council sprung a parking meter onto us.

That car park is miles from town and it's a cynical money-making exercise by the rotten-to-the-core council there. People rely on that car park for the doctor's surgery, post office, small hall (which hosts all sorts of stuff for local needs, including a day centre for disadvantaged people) as well as the shops.

The permit for the car park that's being suggested isn't the same one, but as he says, is across a road that is packed with school kids and traffic twice a day. If you were forced to park there you would be effectively a prisoner for periods of the day, adding unnecessarily to the already mounting traffic around the school itself.

I have no idea how a chef gets PTSD and what relevance that has here, but am totally on his side with the rest.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A story that made me angry on 16:35 - Dec 21 with 1741 viewsfactual_blue

A story that made me angry on 16:02 - Dec 21 by footers

No one forced him to join the forces. I'm pretty sure people know the dangers of maybe going to war if you are in that line of work. But I think we're becoming more Americanised with this 'thank you for your service, sir' stuff.

Old Uncle Facters,around the time of the Salerno landings, but clearly before he was badly wounded, was guarding a stockade of mixed German and Italian POWs.

The news filtered through to the prisoners that Italy had capitulated on the day of the landings at Messina (3 September 1943). It all kicked off between the POWs, and the entire company - cooks, clerks and all - were stood to, and called out with their rifles.

Many of the non-combatant troops hadn't handled a weapon since basic training. As a result - and this is the point of the story - a very nervous clerk accidentally discharged his rifle, and blew the head off the company cook.

'Blimey,' Uncle Facters remarked, 'his cooking wasn't that bad'.

It's a dangerous job in the Catering Corps.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 18:09]

A story that made me angry on 16:36 - Dec 21 with 1731 viewsfactual_blue

A story that made me angry on 16:32 - Dec 21 by jeera

Dunno.

The obvious 'war vet' nonsense aside, I would be pee'd off if I'd been parking outside my own home for years then suddenly the council sprung a parking meter onto us.

That car park is miles from town and it's a cynical money-making exercise by the rotten-to-the-core council there. People rely on that car park for the doctor's surgery, post office, small hall (which hosts all sorts of stuff for local needs, including a day centre for disadvantaged people) as well as the shops.

The permit for the car park that's being suggested isn't the same one, but as he says, is across a road that is packed with school kids and traffic twice a day. If you were forced to park there you would be effectively a prisoner for periods of the day, adding unnecessarily to the already mounting traffic around the school itself.

I have no idea how a chef gets PTSD and what relevance that has here, but am totally on his side with the rest.

I gather it was getting filled up by people working in Moreton Hall, and of course by mummies spending hours wittering away in the nearby coffee shop.

A story that made me angry on 16:37 - Dec 21 with 1724 viewsfactual_blue

Come now, Monkey anal, no mention of a builder.

A story that made me angry on 16:52 - Dec 21 with 1686 viewsBasuco

The story is about a money grabbing council imposing charges where there has never been a problem with the car park being full, according to Mr Stoker. If the was a problem with the carpark being full I am sure he would have welcomed the charges as long as he received a permit.
A story that made me angry on 17:20 - Dec 21 with 1637 viewsPendejo

Harsh

Would you not consider Simon Weston a war veteran?
Or VC awarded Johnson Beharry?

Do bombs and bullets only count if fired in WWI or WWII?

Dictionary definition
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/war

I'm sure you should be correct with last sentence, however, resorting to press or, these days, social media, works (as a last resort).

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

A story that made me angry on 17:42 - Dec 21 with 1595 viewsfactual_blue

A story that made me angry on 17:20 - Dec 21 by Pendejo

Harsh

Would you not consider Simon Weston a war veteran?
Or VC awarded Johnson Beharry?

Do bombs and bullets only count if fired in WWI or WWII?

Dictionary definition
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/war

I'm sure you should be correct with last sentence, however, resorting to press or, these days, social media, works (as a last resort).

As I said, to people of my generation, a 'war veteran' tends to mean veterans of the two world wars.

The difference being, in my mind anyway, that those who have joined the forces since the end of National Service have made a more or less informed decision to do so. The civilian armies of WW1 and WW2 didn't make informed choices; those volunteering in the early part of WW1 were doing so in a blind frenzy of patriotism completely unaware of what they were letting themselves in for. Those conscripted later in that war, and throughout WW2 didn't have that any real choice.

As I also said, my cousin (the daughter of a twice-wounded WW2 soldier; the mother of a career soldier) agrees. In fact she was angrier than I.

A story that made me angry on 17:42 - Dec 21 with 1588 viewsfactual_blue

A story that made me angry on 16:37 - Dec 21 by factual_blue

Come now, Monkey anal, no mention of a builder.

I'm a good egg you know monkers.

A story that made me angry on 21:03 - Dec 21 with 1455 viewsPendejo

A story that made me angry on 17:42 - Dec 21 by factual_blue

As I said, to people of my generation, a 'war veteran' tends to mean veterans of the two world wars.

The difference being, in my mind anyway, that those who have joined the forces since the end of National Service have made a more or less informed decision to do so. The civilian armies of WW1 and WW2 didn't make informed choices; those volunteering in the early part of WW1 were doing so in a blind frenzy of patriotism completely unaware of what they were letting themselves in for. Those conscripted later in that war, and throughout WW2 didn't have that any real choice.

As I also said, my cousin (the daughter of a twice-wounded WW2 soldier; the mother of a career soldier) agrees. In fact she was angrier than I.

So they're not veterans because they volunteered for military service?

You (and others) are belittling sacrifices made just because they weren't enforced conscripts?

Does that mean when the last WWII veteran has passed away you will no longer contribute to the collections of the Royal British Legion because there's no real veterans left?

Sorry I just don't get it.

Question remains 're Simon Weston and Johnson Beharry... Are they not veterans in your eyes?
Do Isis IEDs count less than German doodlebugs?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

A story that made me angry on 21:49 - Dec 21 with 1391 viewsPinewoodblue

A story that made me angry on 16:52 - Dec 21 by Basuco

The story is about a money grabbing council imposing charges where there has never been a problem with the car park being full, according to Mr Stoker. If the was a problem with the carpark being full I am sure he would have welcomed the charges as long as he received a permit.

There were parking restrictions in place but they were not being enforced. This guy and a couple of other took advantage of it.

The council have acted, within a parking review, to complaints from shop keepers. When he went and told one of the shop keepers he got a ticket, an$ they knew all about the changes, I expect the shopkeeper had a smile in his face .

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

A story that made me angry on 21:57 - Dec 21 with 1384 viewsfooters

A story that made me angry on 21:03 - Dec 21 by Pendejo

So they're not veterans because they volunteered for military service?

You (and others) are belittling sacrifices made just because they weren't enforced conscripts?

Does that mean when the last WWII veteran has passed away you will no longer contribute to the collections of the Royal British Legion because there's no real veterans left?

Sorry I just don't get it.

Question remains 're Simon Weston and Johnson Beharry... Are they not veterans in your eyes?
Do Isis IEDs count less than German doodlebugs?

No one is belittling service. But the people who've served clearly need a far better level of care than they are currently receiving. I don't want to give money to the Legion or anyone else frankly; it is the forces and government who need to look after their own better, not your or I.

Maybe you should be angry at that fraud Cameron's 'Military Covenant'.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

A story that made me angry on 22:06 - Dec 21 with 1353 viewsjeera

A story that made me angry on 21:49 - Dec 21 by Pinewoodblue

There were parking restrictions in place but they were not being enforced. This guy and a couple of other took advantage of it.

The council have acted, within a parking review, to complaints from shop keepers. When he went and told one of the shop keepers he got a ticket, an$ they knew all about the changes, I expect the shopkeeper had a smile in his face .

"West Suffolk Council decided to enforce parking restrictions following complaints from businesses that people were using the car parks to leave their cars for lengthy periods and walk into Bury St Edmunds town centre."

I'm not having that - that's a four and half mile round trip.

As for matey in the story, there are 4 flats so they're not exactly filling up the car parks! Of which there are effectively 3 next to each other.

It is hardly unreasonable to expect 4 permits for the people who live there.

It also says a lot that if people are having to walk over 2 miles each way to get an affordable parking space to use the town/go to work.

Build, build build and sod the services required.

Bury was a lovely place and is now a traffic nightmare.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A story that made me angry on 22:39 - Dec 21 with 1288 viewsronnyd

A story that made me angry on 16:10 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

The relevance is explained further down: Mr Stoker added: “As a sufferer of PTSD, this isn’t helping not knowing where to park every day.”

It is clearly disgraceful he is expected to park further down the road which is near a school and must be very dangerous to park - especially when all those parents are busy collecting their children from school.

I live a 100yds from that school. Some of the parking during the school run beggars belief.
A story that made me angry on 22:42 - Dec 21 with 1282 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A story that made me angry on 22:39 - Dec 21 by ronnyd

I live a 100yds from that school. Some of the parking during the school run beggars belief.

In common with pretty much every other school in the country I would imagine.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024