Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" 12:05 - May 13 with 1726 viewsjayessess

Err, no he didn't.

Wigan 2017/18 Appearances

Will Grigg 53 (already there)
Dan Burn 53 (already there)
Gavin Massey 50 (NEW SIGNING)
Michael Jacobs 50 (already there)
Chey Dunkley 50 (NEW SIGNING)
Nathan Byrne 49 (already there)
Max Power 49 (already there)
Sam Morsy 47 (already there)
Nick Powell 45 (already there)
Christian Walton 35 (LOAN)

Where's this one come from?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:13 - May 13 with 1630 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Was going to post something similar. He rebuilt Wigan around a few key players.
"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:22 - May 13 with 1562 viewsSWGF

Where *has* this one come from? I've seen someone say he released 20+ in his first summer, not that he had an entirely new squad.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:25 - May 13 with 1515 viewsgordon

Do you remember that summer everyone kept saying we'd signed up the whole of the League One Team Of The Year?
"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:26 - May 13 with 1501 viewsgordon

How true is it in respect to the Portsmouth story, to anyone who can be bothered to investigate?
"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:30 - May 13 with 1452 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:22 - May 13 by SWGF

Where *has* this one come from? I've seen someone say he released 20+ in his first summer, not that he had an entirely new squad.

The 20+ included loans and players across squads.

We have already released 21 players and counting (including loans etc)
"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:31 - May 13 with 1436 viewschrismakin

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/wigan-athletic/2018/6/

So really depending who does stay here it could be similar

KVY
Norwood

etc. etc

He has experience in putting together a squad, and making vast changes, that's what people are saying
[Post edited 13 May 2021 12:32]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:33 - May 13 with 1419 viewsjayessess

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:26 - May 13 by gordon

How true is it in respect to the Portsmouth story, to anyone who can be bothered to investigate?

Much more true of his first Summer at Portsmouth

Portsmouth 2015/16

Enda Stevens 53 (NEW)
Ben Davies 51 (NEW)
Kyle Bennett 51 (NEW)
Michael Doyle 50 (NEW)
Gareth Evans 48 (NEW)
Christian Burgess 43 (NEW)
Danny Hollands 39
Gary Roberts 38 (NEW)
Conor Chaplin 38
Adam McGurk 36 (NEW)
Adam Webster 35
Marc McNulty 34 (NEW)
Matt Clarke 33 (NEW)
Brian Murphy 25 (NEW)

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:39 - May 13 with 1343 viewsHighgateBlue

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

As you indicate, Cook built success around a settled side, and not the use of a huge squad. Most of that settled side were already at the club. He got them playing his system, and he trained them well. Let's hope he can do the same with us, albeit he probably has more money, and he's probably more unimpressed with the current squad than in his previous roles.

We'll see how many first teamers he ultimately gets rid of. I imagine it will not be as many as some are fearing/expecting.

When Hurst brought in lots of new players there was excitement. Then when he failed, it was often said that you can't possibly expect to change the whole squad in so short a space of time. I think there needs to be a lit bit of balance to people's reactions and a little less knee-jerk-ism.

Hurst didn't get rid of the whole squad. He got rid of the wrong ones and brought in even wronger ones at too great a cost. Successive managers have brought in too many players. Cook has had clear-outs at previous clubs and been successful. The numbers in and out were large, but as you have proven, the successful side was not stuffed full of new signings.

He has got rid of a reasonable number of the 2020/21 squad. If two or three more depart for fees, that's not a problem. Especially if one of those is Jackson and he leaves for a material fee, and I don't think many would be up in arms about Donacien either way. The youngsters - the fee must be right. If not, the answer's no, and we'll see if one or two of them will progress and make the grade. Numerous players will come in. If five or six new players who come in play every week, that's fine by me. But I don't expect that number to be 8 or 9. Every player has his price, but not every player will leave. We had large numbers of home-grown players playing a lot last year. Next year that number may be slightly down, but they will still feature.
Login to get fewer ads

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:41 - May 13 with 1315 viewsjayessess

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:39 - May 13 by HighgateBlue

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

As you indicate, Cook built success around a settled side, and not the use of a huge squad. Most of that settled side were already at the club. He got them playing his system, and he trained them well. Let's hope he can do the same with us, albeit he probably has more money, and he's probably more unimpressed with the current squad than in his previous roles.

We'll see how many first teamers he ultimately gets rid of. I imagine it will not be as many as some are fearing/expecting.

When Hurst brought in lots of new players there was excitement. Then when he failed, it was often said that you can't possibly expect to change the whole squad in so short a space of time. I think there needs to be a lit bit of balance to people's reactions and a little less knee-jerk-ism.

Hurst didn't get rid of the whole squad. He got rid of the wrong ones and brought in even wronger ones at too great a cost. Successive managers have brought in too many players. Cook has had clear-outs at previous clubs and been successful. The numbers in and out were large, but as you have proven, the successful side was not stuffed full of new signings.

He has got rid of a reasonable number of the 2020/21 squad. If two or three more depart for fees, that's not a problem. Especially if one of those is Jackson and he leaves for a material fee, and I don't think many would be up in arms about Donacien either way. The youngsters - the fee must be right. If not, the answer's no, and we'll see if one or two of them will progress and make the grade. Numerous players will come in. If five or six new players who come in play every week, that's fine by me. But I don't expect that number to be 8 or 9. Every player has his price, but not every player will leave. We had large numbers of home-grown players playing a lot last year. Next year that number may be slightly down, but they will still feature.

Look at all those players on 45 appearances plus! Wouldn't that be nice...

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:41 - May 13 with 1307 viewsgordon

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:33 - May 13 by jayessess

Portsmouth 2015/16

Enda Stevens 53 (NEW)
Ben Davies 51 (NEW)
Kyle Bennett 51 (NEW)
Michael Doyle 50 (NEW)
Gareth Evans 48 (NEW)
Danny Hollands 39
Gary Roberts 38 (NEW)
Conor Chaplin 38
Adam McGurk 36 (NEW)
Adam Webster 35
Marc McNulty 34 (NEW)
Matt Clarke 33 (NEW)
Brian Murphy 25 (NEW)

Good info, thanks.
"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 13:31 - May 13 with 1108 viewsSWGF

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:30 - May 13 by TonyHumesIpswich

The 20+ included loans and players across squads.

We have already released 21 players and counting (including loans etc)

Quite.

My question was where has it been said that he "rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in one summer" as in the OP. I haven't seen that. Honest question.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 13:33 - May 13 with 1086 viewspointofblue

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 12:33 - May 13 by jayessess

Portsmouth 2015/16

Enda Stevens 53 (NEW)
Ben Davies 51 (NEW)
Kyle Bennett 51 (NEW)
Michael Doyle 50 (NEW)
Gareth Evans 48 (NEW)
Danny Hollands 39
Gary Roberts 38 (NEW)
Conor Chaplin 38
Adam McGurk 36 (NEW)
Adam Webster 35
Marc McNulty 34 (NEW)
Matt Clarke 33 (NEW)
Brian Murphy 25 (NEW)

Made sixth place, failed to go up but managed promotion the following season.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 13:35 - May 13 with 1067 viewsitfcjoe

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 13:31 - May 13 by SWGF

Quite.

My question was where has it been said that he "rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in one summer" as in the OP. I haven't seen that. Honest question.

It's in a few threads...

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by Lord_Lucan 13 May 2021 11:23
in a few months from scratch?

I have to say I think not - unless of course he feels that a fair few existing youngsters could step up immediately.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by itfcpaul 13 May 2021 11:30
Cook did it at Wigan, got rid of 22 and brought in 15, including 5 loan signings and got promoted..

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by TractorCam 13 May 2021 11:31
Yes, our own manager has already done that at Wigan and Portsmouth.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by abracaDOBRA_ 13 May 2021 11:34
Cook literally did it at Wigan and got them promoted. He knows what he's doing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 14:03 - May 13 with 978 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'm more impressed that he got them up with only 10 players. Struth.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 15:57 - May 13 with 886 viewsSWGF

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 13:35 - May 13 by itfcjoe

It's in a few threads...

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by Lord_Lucan 13 May 2021 11:23
in a few months from scratch?

I have to say I think not - unless of course he feels that a fair few existing youngsters could step up immediately.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by itfcpaul 13 May 2021 11:30
Cook did it at Wigan, got rid of 22 and brought in 15, including 5 loan signings and got promoted..

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by TractorCam 13 May 2021 11:31
Yes, our own manager has already done that at Wigan and Portsmouth.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team by abracaDOBRA_ 13 May 2021 11:34
Cook literally did it at Wigan and got them promoted. He knows what he's doing

...and they've all been backed up his cold, hard facts? Coolio

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 16:00 - May 13 with 840 viewsBlueWorldOrder

The usual pro-Cook nonsense. League Two awaits.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 16:01 - May 13 with 830 viewsJackSted

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 16:00 - May 13 by BlueWorldOrder

The usual pro-Cook nonsense. League Two awaits.

What's wrong with you man? Why are you always so pessimistic? Is everything ok back home?

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 16:06 - May 13 with 792 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 16:01 - May 13 by JackSted

What's wrong with you man? Why are you always so pessimistic? Is everything ok back home?

Another Budgie. Must be.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

"Paul Cook rebuilt Wigan with an entirely new squad in One Summer!" on 16:41 - May 13 with 712 viewsSharkey

Gavin Massey, - that was an extremely smart signing! He'd just been relegated to the National League with Orient.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024