Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team 11:23 - May 13 with 2364 viewsLord_Lucan

in a few months from scratch?

I have to say I think not - unless of course he feels that a fair few existing youngsters could step up immediately.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:24 - May 13 with 1833 viewsKeno

I believe it has been done

Lincoln this season is an example and didn't some guy called Cook do it with Wigan a couple of seasons back?
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:25]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:25 - May 13 with 1813 viewsBrightonBlue

Blackpool, Lincoln.....
Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:25 - May 13 with 1804 viewsOsborneOneNil

I think it can be done. Fingers crossed LL!!
Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:26 - May 13 with 1796 viewsKieran_Knows

Probably not, but I think it will depend on how soon we get players in for the start of pre-season so that they're in and can adapt to the way that Cook wants to play. I think that will be key.

If we're starting pre-season and going in to the first game of the season with only 3/4 new additions, it could be a long road ahead!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:27 - May 13 with 1795 viewsHerbivore

It is at this level, Blackpool and Lincoln both made top 6 having done so and they have fewer resources than us. That said it's not easy and doesn't smack of a long-term approach. I suspect three or four of the academy products that Cook is looking to offload will play most of the rest of their careers at the level above this and one or two may even go higher still, so it seems odd to be getting rid at this point to presumably bring in some capable League 1 journeymen to replace them.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:27]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:28 - May 13 with 1774 viewsVic

I think there is an acceptance among the owners that it may take two seasons to get out of this league. I don’t think it’s do or die this season. However, it is obvious that a big improvement is expected, a genuine and sustained push for the PO’s is a minimum I expect, and promotion the following. Anything less and Cook will be toast.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:30 - May 13 with 1739 viewsjayessess

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:28 - May 13 by Vic

I think there is an acceptance among the owners that it may take two seasons to get out of this league. I don’t think it’s do or die this season. However, it is obvious that a big improvement is expected, a genuine and sustained push for the PO’s is a minimum I expect, and promotion the following. Anything less and Cook will be toast.

they've already said they'll be disappointed if they aren't promoted by the end of next season

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:30 - May 13 with 1742 viewsKieran_Knows

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:27 - May 13 by Herbivore

It is at this level, Blackpool and Lincoln both made top 6 having done so and they have fewer resources than us. That said it's not easy and doesn't smack of a long-term approach. I suspect three or four of the academy products that Cook is looking to offload will play most of the rest of their careers at the level above this and one or two may even go higher still, so it seems odd to be getting rid at this point to presumably bring in some capable League 1 journeymen to replace them.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:27]

I think if Phil is to be believed (and he has said it a few times), we'll be recruiting as if we're a Championship club (and looking a beyond).

Still strange decisions over the kids though.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:30 - May 13 with 1736 viewsitfcpaul

Cook did it at Wigan, got rid of 22 and brought in 15, including 5 loan signings and got promoted..

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:31 - May 13 with 1712 viewsTractorCam

Yes, our own manager has already done that at Wigan and Portsmouth.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:32 - May 13 with 1693 viewsHerbivore

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:30 - May 13 by Kieran_Knows

I think if Phil is to be believed (and he has said it a few times), we'll be recruiting as if we're a Championship club (and looking a beyond).

Still strange decisions over the kids though.

I hope that's the case, but none of the names linked so far scream Championship standard recruitment.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:33 - May 13 with 1657 viewsitfcpaul

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:32 - May 13 by Herbivore

I hope that's the case, but none of the names linked so far scream Championship standard recruitment.

and linked means we are signing them? did you know any of the Wigan team before he produced that team?

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:34 - May 13 with 1638 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Cook literally did it at Wigan and got them promoted. He knows what he's doing
Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:34 - May 13 with 1622 viewsHerbivore

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:33 - May 13 by itfcpaul

and linked means we are signing them? did you know any of the Wigan team before he produced that team?

I'm not a Wigan fan, mate. I'm an Ipswich fan.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:36 - May 13 with 1585 viewsitfcpaul

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:34 - May 13 by Herbivore

That's exactly my point, you have an opinion of our Managers ability to produce a team in this way without looking at any evidence of his previous ability to do it, the usual short sighted view of someone who wants t complain about anything, without actually seeing what happens with it

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:39 - May 13 with 1550 viewsitfcpaul

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:34 - May 13 by Herbivore

Are you sure you are a fan by the way, I thought that meant supporting something

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:39 - May 13 with 1548 viewsVic

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:30 - May 13 by jayessess

they've already said they'll be disappointed if they aren't promoted by the end of next season

Of course they have, they want to aim high. But they’ve also said that we need to be patient!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:39 - May 13 with 1547 viewsLord_Lucan

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:34 - May 13 by abracaDOBRA_

Ok, maybe I should have said likely rather than possible.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:41 - May 13 with 1519 viewsBluefish

I reckon I could do it

Not sure someone that wants to get rid of Dobra and Bishop but keep Edwards could though
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:43]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:42 - May 13 with 1513 viewsFixed_It

Lincoln and Blackpool have done better than us this season - and I believe they did.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:43 - May 13 with 1496 viewsHerbivore

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:36 - May 13 by itfcpaul

That's exactly my point, you have an opinion of our Managers ability to produce a team in this way without looking at any evidence of his previous ability to do it, the usual short sighted view of someone who wants t complain about anything, without actually seeing what happens with it

I'm expressing an opinion.

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:44 - May 13 with 1482 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:30 - May 13 by itfcpaul

Cook did it at Wigan, got rid of 22 and brought in 15, including 5 loan signings and got promoted..

How many core players did he keep in the first team?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:44 - May 13 with 1480 viewsBiGDonnie

I do it on Football Manager every time!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:46 - May 13 with 1456 viewsjayessess

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:34 - May 13 by abracaDOBRA_

Not sure where this one comes from. 10 of his 2017/18 Wigan core was players he inherited. 7 of the top 10 for appearances that year were at the club when he arrived.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:46 - May 13 with 1454 viewsitfcpaul

Is it actually possible to build a brand new promotion challenging team on 11:43 - May 13 by Herbivore

I'm expressing an opinion.

Yes a badly formed one with no substance to it doesn't make it an opinion, well not a good one

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024