Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket at Lords - Alcohol 18:34 - Aug 2 with 2567 viewsZx1988

Has anyone got experience of going to Lord's for cricket, and how stringent their bag searches are?

We're going for The Hundred tomorrow, and have found out that the ECB have just vetoed Lord's 'BYOB' policy, and tightened up alcohol availability within the ground, after blokes going to cricket decided to act like blokes going to cricket.

Rather than pay stupid prices for in-ground beer, I'm inclined to take in a hip flask and save a few bob. Am I likely to get away with this, or does Lord's tend to go for pat-downs and thorough bag searches upon entry?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 18:39 - Aug 2 with 2542 viewsSteve_M

If they've changed the rules for The Hundred I would imagine they'll look quite thoroughly, you might just get away with a hip flask at the bottom of a bag but will depend on the individuals searching.

It was only £4 a beer at the T20s at Lord's this year, I was pleasantly surprised.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 18:39 - Aug 2 with 2540 viewsfactual_blue

I always found them reasonably thorough for Test Matches. Had no trouble though including a bottle of bitter lemon or tonic water that was actually 25% gin. Plus, of course, a bottle of wine.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 18:41 - Aug 2 with 2526 viewsmylittletown

I don't know about the Hundred, but for Test matches, they let you bring in one bottle of wine.
Again at Test matches, the in-ground beer is good and not too stupidly priced, by London standards. Given that there is little point in taking in your beer.
Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 18:44 - Aug 2 with 2512 viewsfabian_illness

You won’t get much beer in a hip flask.
Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 19:19 - Aug 2 with 2445 viewsclive_baker

Last week was absolutely ridiculous to be fair. I’m not sure if it’s pent up desire to get smashed or the weather, or what, but it was more like a stag do than a cricket match. I don’t like the nanny state bs rules limiting how much people can drink (within reason) but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were complaints after the last game, it wasn’t really family friendly.

To answer your question, definitely expect to get your bag looked at.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 22:00 - Aug 2 with 2281 viewsWD19

Drink 6 bottles before you leave the house and hide it inside you.
Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 22:13 - Aug 2 with 2254 viewsJakeITFC

The Pakistan ODI turned into a bit of a free for all there as well (was the day before the Euros final so people were quite merry and singing football songs) so they’ve probably had quite enough of pissed up fans at Lord’s for one summer.

It’s not too thorough a bag search though from my experience.
Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 16:24 - Aug 3 with 2027 viewsZx1988

Thanks for the advice! Quick update...

A few 500ml bottles of coke in the backpack, with a couple of hip flasks of Woods' hidden at the bottom. We got to the turnstiles:

"Any alcohol in there sir?"

"Nope."

"Okay, in you go. Have a great time!"

I bloody love light-touch stewarding!

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 16:40 - Aug 3 with 2000 viewsWallingford_Boy

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 18:39 - Aug 2 by factual_blue

I always found them reasonably thorough for Test Matches. Had no trouble though including a bottle of bitter lemon or tonic water that was actually 25% gin. Plus, of course, a bottle of wine.

Its allowed at Test Matches silly!

RIP Sir Bobby

Cricket at Lords - Alcohol on 18:58 - Aug 3 with 1918 viewsSkip_Intro

this is easy to do...did it at latitude a few years back - just fill the water bottles with vodka and if the seal is intact you're good to go...

[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 18:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024