Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right to criticise Cook tonight 00:40 - Aug 18 with 1802 viewsKeaneish

Just got back and I thought we were very naive tonight. As others have said, we should have put that game to bed within 30 mins but we gave away countless needless throw-ins to play to their strengths.

Bigger concerns are that at no point tonight did the full backs really get beyond the wide men, a hallmark of the way Cook likes to play. Have we become fearful already? Not that Donacien is the right selection to do that. I’d argue his selection lead to a lot of our problems in truth.

At times Cheltenham had no answer to us but at times we looked pedestrian, tired maybe, which leads to the question as to why Cook didn’t freshen it around the 60 minute mark - it was obvious we needed it. All night Cheltenham crumbled when we ran at them so why leave Dobra on the bench when Fraser was non-existent? Evans and Harper looked shot so why leave it so late to being Carroll on? Jackson for Pigott made no sense either.

Hladky remains unconvincing to me. Burgess showed he’s a real leader and Edwards is clearly playing at the wrong level. Quite liked the burger and good to chat to a few Town fans on the same page. Time to gel, yes but 4 wins in 20 and giving away a comfortable victory simply isn’t good enough.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 00:50 - Aug 18 with 1749 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Just back from the game too and that pretty much sums it up how I saw it.

Thanks … saved me having to write more.

Subs definitely needed to be earlier … KVY for Donacien should have been one for me though, to at least try and get down their right side as the opportunities were there. Jackson just left me and my sons looking at each other with that wtf expression on our faces. Left them too late and the half had pretty much passed us by.
Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:07 - Aug 18 with 1490 viewsKeaneish

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 00:50 - Aug 18 by benrhyddingblue

Just back from the game too and that pretty much sums it up how I saw it.

Thanks … saved me having to write more.

Subs definitely needed to be earlier … KVY for Donacien should have been one for me though, to at least try and get down their right side as the opportunities were there. Jackson just left me and my sons looking at each other with that wtf expression on our faces. Left them too late and the half had pretty much passed us by.

Yeah agreed. We were saying the same around us. With that bench at his disposal we should have thrown on three or four around 60 mins. Carroll, Dobra and KVY would have changed it and swing it back in our favour, I’m sure.

Cook just didn’t respond which was bizarre.

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:18 - Aug 18 with 1441 viewsHerbivore

I hate to say it but it's all a bit Lambert at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:23 - Aug 18 with 1414 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:07 - Aug 18 by Keaneish

Yeah agreed. We were saying the same around us. With that bench at his disposal we should have thrown on three or four around 60 mins. Carroll, Dobra and KVY would have changed it and swing it back in our favour, I’m sure.

Cook just didn’t respond which was bizarre.

We’re back to 3 subs per match now

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:26 - Aug 18 with 1388 viewsKeaneish

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:23 - Aug 18 by WestStanderLaLaLa

We’re back to 3 subs per match now

Is it? Another thing that doesn’t make any sense but even a double sun would have helped.

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:31 - Aug 18 with 1350 viewsKeaneish

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:18 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Yep, at times it was last night. I get that Wolfenden and Burgess haven’t played together before and the keep ball at the back allowed us to move Cheltenham about a bit bit too many runs unnoticed and the possession was laboured at toes.

The last 20 minutes we look spent and it was all in front of Cheltenham without much to note in the final third ala Lambert. First 30 unrecognisable from Lambert but much of it was very similar.

Those players need a big week at Playford road.

On a positives, Burgess looked like an inform Berra at times and Coulson might find it hard to displace Penney who has had a good start to the season, penalty aside.

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:02 - Aug 18 with 1215 viewsHerbivore

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:31 - Aug 18 by Keaneish

Yep, at times it was last night. I get that Wolfenden and Burgess haven’t played together before and the keep ball at the back allowed us to move Cheltenham about a bit bit too many runs unnoticed and the possession was laboured at toes.

The last 20 minutes we look spent and it was all in front of Cheltenham without much to note in the final third ala Lambert. First 30 unrecognisable from Lambert but much of it was very similar.

Those players need a big week at Playford road.

On a positives, Burgess looked like an inform Berra at times and Coulson might find it hard to displace Penney who has had a good start to the season, penalty aside.

See I'm not at all sold on Penney. He reminds me of Garbutt in that he's clearly a nice footballer with a good left foot but he looks far too lightweight to play left back, at this level at least. He got done at the back post for their equaliser and I don't think I've seen him win a header yet in the two games I've watched.

Second half was so pedestrian, the spells where we did have the ball we endlessly knocked it sideways and they could get 10 men behind the ball and just snuff us out through sheer weight of numbers. It was a really poor showing in that second half and it's a worry that we've lost 3 out of 4 and conceded 7 goals against teams who are nothing more than well organised.

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:17 - Aug 18 with 1095 viewstitanicclown

It's fair to say the players need some time but you have to look at what Cook is doing to build this team. He's chopping and changing the front players. He doesn't seem to realise that he's playing 442 not 4231 and perhaps most baffling is he's played Chaplin, Barry and Pigott as second strikers before picking a proper ACM in Fraser.

A midfield three of Evans, Harper and Fraser is clearly key to this team yet Cook has given them no time to gel.

Yes time to gel but Cook is prolonging that process with straight up poor decisions.
Login to get fewer ads

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:19 - Aug 18 with 1076 viewsBeckets

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 07:18 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

The highlight of Cook’s reign has been the FA Youth Cup run!
Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:20 - Aug 18 with 1063 viewschrismakin

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:17 - Aug 18 by titanicclown

It's fair to say the players need some time but you have to look at what Cook is doing to build this team. He's chopping and changing the front players. He doesn't seem to realise that he's playing 442 not 4231 and perhaps most baffling is he's played Chaplin, Barry and Pigott as second strikers before picking a proper ACM in Fraser.

A midfield three of Evans, Harper and Fraser is clearly key to this team yet Cook has given them no time to gel.

Yes time to gel but Cook is prolonging that process with straight up poor decisions.

Edwards Fraser Evans Harper Dobra

There's your midfield

With Dobs and Edwards swap with Burns/Penney etc as and when needed.

But Evans, Harper, Fraser needs to be the triangle
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 8:23]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:21 - Aug 18 with 1041 viewsHerbivore

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:20 - Aug 18 by chrismakin

There's your midfield

A diamond has four points, not three. That's more of a triangle.

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:22 - Aug 18 with 1028 viewschrismakin

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:21 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

ooo good point. i shall amend accordingly

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:23 - Aug 18 with 1021 viewsMetal_Hacker

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:21 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Trigonometry innit

Poll: If it were one or the other

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:46 - Aug 18 with 891 viewsjayessess

There's your midfield

Seems like Dobra needs to do so much to impress Cook. One slightly anonymous game against Burton (where nevertheless a lot of our better moments went through him) and he's behind Barry again and, bizarrely, Jackson.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:51 - Aug 18 with 846 viewsSteve_M

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:46 - Aug 18 by jayessess

Seems like Dobra needs to do so much to impress Cook. One slightly anonymous game against Burton (where nevertheless a lot of our better moments went through him) and he's behind Barry again and, bizarrely, Jackson.

I'm surprised that he didn't come on, less surprised that he didn't start as two games last week had taken a lot out of him by the time he was subbed on Saturday.

Jackson to play off Piggot yesterday seemed a bit direct but something that might freshen things up a bit, Jackson replacing Piggot was odd.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 08:56 - Aug 18 with 793 viewsDyland

Sums it up perfectly.

I think Hladky will be good for us though.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Right to criticise Cook tonight on 09:05 - Aug 18 with 719 viewstimothyeo

I do find it weird that it's now ok to criticise Cook for last night but not for anything else over the past 6 months we might have disagreed with.
Right to criticise Cook tonight on 09:09 - Aug 18 with 695 viewstitanicclown

There's your midfield

Yep!

It staggers me that Cook doesn't see it. And while we're waiting for him to catch on we're losing ground.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024