Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... 08:37 - Oct 1 with 2138 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....so lightweight (as carrying it all day) and 13 inch screen or thereabouts. Cheers!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:38 - Oct 1 with 1771 viewsDanTheMan

Any particular price range?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:49 - Oct 1 with 1740 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:38 - Oct 1 by DanTheMan

Any particular price range?

Her that knows best says up to £600 new or secondhand!

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:50 - Oct 1 with 1745 viewsEly_Blue

Pick up a reasonably cheap 2nd hand MacBook Pro or air from Facebook marketplace, anything 2015 onwards should be perfect and will be so much better than any modern windows based laptop

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:53 - Oct 1 with 1731 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:50 - Oct 1 by Ely_Blue

Pick up a reasonably cheap 2nd hand MacBook Pro or air from Facebook marketplace, anything 2015 onwards should be perfect and will be so much better than any modern windows based laptop

Thanks. She says there are 2 polarised camps on this but at the moment she is leaning towards agreeing with you.

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:56 - Oct 1 with 1725 viewsSaleAway

Any particular apps that need to run, or just basic office type things? Worth considering a chromebook? They are getting better and better, and really good value to be had.

Acer Spin series are good...

Smaller, I have a Lenovo Duet, which I use when travelling, and its brilliant.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 09:08 - Oct 1 with 1696 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:56 - Oct 1 by SaleAway

Any particular apps that need to run, or just basic office type things? Worth considering a chromebook? They are getting better and better, and really good value to be had.

Pretty basic.....essays and research.

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 10:06 - Oct 1 with 1650 viewsGeoffSentence

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:56 - Oct 1 by SaleAway

I second the chromebook. Love it. Cheap, simple, reliable. It's a bendy thing as well so can use it like a tablet when needed.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 10:11 - Oct 1 with 1632 viewsDanTheMan

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 10:06 - Oct 1 by GeoffSentence

I second the chromebook. Love it. Cheap, simple, reliable. It's a bendy thing as well so can use it like a tablet when needed.

This does sound like the way to go, especially if MS Office isn't needed. They are cheap and light.

Login to get fewer ads

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:18 - Oct 1 with 1554 viewsIllinoisblue

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 10:06 - Oct 1 by GeoffSentence

Hard to argue with a Chromebook. Got an HP one for $99. Hook it up to a good sized monitor and you’re all set.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:44 - Oct 1 with 1526 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So now she wants to know which chromebook?

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:50 - Oct 1 with 1516 viewsLesta_Tractor

Given a HP Elitebook 830 when I started my new job a couple of weeks ago, seems pretty good.

You can get a refurbished one for £450 from laptops direct.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:52 - Oct 1 with 1509 viewsGeoffSentence

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:44 - Oct 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

I only have experience of the one I am currently have which is a Lenovo 300E, I think that model is no longer made though.

I would add that the battery life on it is excellent too.

Bear in mind that chromebooks are all centred around access to google drive and you dont get much internal storage, so you do you need a networkfor your documents. That might be an issue access is needed to them when offline.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 14:08 - Oct 1 with 1484 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:52 - Oct 1 by GeoffSentence

I only have experience of the one I am currently have which is a Lenovo 300E, I think that model is no longer made though.

I would add that the battery life on it is excellent too.

Bear in mind that chromebooks are all centred around access to google drive and you dont get much internal storage, so you do you need a networkfor your documents. That might be an issue access is needed to them when offline.

Thanks, this is all gobbledegook to me but I am sure it will make sense to the shopper one!

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 14:19 - Oct 1 with 1460 viewsstopmoaning

I'd recommend a Surface Laptop Go - around the £500 mark, very light, touchscreen etc.

Also check out Currys on ebay for refurb ones etc.

Here's a refurb one from Argos...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334115506689?hash=item4dcad60a01:g:cnQAAOSw-B1hPnSr
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 14:26]
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 14:26 - Oct 1 with 1446 viewsEly_Blue

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 14:19 - Oct 1 by stopmoaning

I'd recommend a Surface Laptop Go - around the £500 mark, very light, touchscreen etc.

Also check out Currys on ebay for refurb ones etc.

Here's a refurb one from Argos...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334115506689?hash=item4dcad60a01:g:cnQAAOSw-B1hPnSr
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 14:26]

Runs a version of the dreaded windows and it’s bloated software though doesn’t it?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 15:20 - Oct 1 with 1408 viewsDanTheMan

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 14:26 - Oct 1 by Ely_Blue

Runs a version of the dreaded windows and it’s bloated software though doesn’t it?

You're being ridiculous. I use Windows for software development every day and it's fine.

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 15:35 - Oct 1 with 1387 viewschicoazul

My daughter has a cloud book and it’s very good. Does everything she needs it to do.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 16:12 - Oct 1 with 1357 viewsSaleAway

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 13:44 - Oct 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-chromebooks-for-students

this might help - has screen sizes, costs, and a few comments... will help make choices with budget in mind...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 16:33 - Oct 1 with 1331 viewsstopmoaning

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 14:26 - Oct 1 by Ely_Blue

It runs Windows, which is still the best PC based OS for most uses.

If it’s for 6th form, unless the school uses g suite, a chrome book isn’t a great idea!
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 16:44 - Oct 1 with 1311 viewsDeano69

if you can use Windows Home (cant see why not) and go to 14 inch, this is pretty reasonable for new - https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=2G2E2EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 18:14 - Oct 1 with 1267 viewsZXBlue

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 08:50 - Oct 1 by Ely_Blue

Why on earth would you pay good money for a logo?
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 18:46 - Oct 1 with 1246 viewsgordon

May be worth thinking about subjects as well - if it's e.g. English Lit, History and French, then get something cheap - if there's potentially statistics, design, maps etc. involved then maybe worth making sure you get 8gb+ RAM and a decent processor - just to future proof yourself against a request for an upgrade in a year or two.
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 20:01 - Oct 1 with 1219 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 09:08 - Oct 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Pretty basic.....essays and research.

If that is all that it is needed for then a Chromebook at just over £200 new is absolutely fine.

A 10 year old third hand refurbished laptop for 40 quid from Ebay could probably manage essays and research, to be honest.
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 20:03 - Oct 1 with 1215 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 18:14 - Oct 1 by ZXBlue

And the white box! You forgot the gorgeous white box!
Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 21:08 - Oct 1 with 1188 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Laptop advice (new or second hand) for sixth form..... on 18:14 - Oct 1 by ZXBlue

Is the argument I just lost with her that knows best! The latest 8 month old Macbook air 8 months warranty £650 in Ipswich somewhere.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024