Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? 16:11 - Oct 5 with 2340 viewsPattiswickBlue

Gameweek 24 stats — (Boxing Day)

20/21 after 24 games 6th — 40 points
19/20 after 24 games 6th — 37 points
18/19 after 24 games 6th — 41 points
17/18 after 24 games 6th — 39 points
16/17 after 24 games 6th — 38 points
15/16 after 24 games 6th — 40 points

Average points haul for 6th position over the past six seasons, after 24 games is — 39 points. Therefore, Ipswich need to amass 29 points from 14 games, to reach Mark Ashton and Mike O’Leary’s aim of “being in and around it at Christmas time”. An example of a way that Ipswich could do that is by winning 9, drawing 2 and losing 3 games. To achieve these 9 wins it means Ipswich will have to beat sides like Sunderland, Wigan, Wycombe and Portsmouth all away from home. The next 14 games:

Shrewsbury (H), Cambridge (A), Portsmouth (A), Fleetwood (H), Plymouth (A), Wycombe (A), Oxford (H), Sunderland (A), Rotherham (H), Crewe (H), Charlton (A), Wigan (A), Sunderland (H) and Gillingham (A).

It requires one hell of a run against the league’s best sides, I am a big fan of Cook but he has made this incredibly difficult for himself. However, you could see this as an opportunity to beat the best sides and stamp our authority on the league. It starts with Shrewsbury at home on Saturday, which is an absolute MUST WIN game.
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:17 - Oct 5 with 2033 viewschrismakin

I remember last March saying Playoffs were done, it didn't feel we would do it then

I dont feel confident at all now that we can do it this year either.

I know Accington was just 1 game, but after the 3 before, I felt we were on our way, but Accrington was a reminder that actually, we're so far from a promotion challenging side its painful and imo, even playoffs is out of reach as I cant see this side putting together a long enough run to make it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:18 - Oct 5 with 2038 viewspositivity

thanks for that, possible, but very tough and needs a vast improvement from the stanley game.

kind of disproves the "we need automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just to scrape into the playoffs" view

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:20 - Oct 5 with 2024 viewsJ2BLUE

On paper we should have too much for most of those. Sunderland twice and Wigan are the big challenges.

Obviously football isn't played on paper and we badly need to get a grip quickly.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:21 - Oct 5 with 2017 viewsOsborneOneNil

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:17 - Oct 5 by chrismakin

I remember last March saying Playoffs were done, it didn't feel we would do it then

I dont feel confident at all now that we can do it this year either.

I know Accington was just 1 game, but after the 3 before, I felt we were on our way, but Accrington was a reminder that actually, we're so far from a promotion challenging side its painful and imo, even playoffs is out of reach as I cant see this side putting together a long enough run to make it.

I hear ya, but then if we win the next 2 then the Stanley game will look like a nasty burp in the middle of a decent run of 6 games.

If, however, we don't win the next 2.........
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:22 - Oct 5 with 1997 viewschrismakin

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:21 - Oct 5 by OsborneOneNil

I hear ya, but then if we win the next 2 then the Stanley game will look like a nasty burp in the middle of a decent run of 6 games.

If, however, we don't win the next 2.........

Sht or bust month isn't it

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:23 - Oct 5 with 2008 viewsPattiswickBlue

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:18 - Oct 5 by positivity

thanks for that, possible, but very tough and needs a vast improvement from the stanley game.

kind of disproves the "we need automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just to scrape into the playoffs" view

It will be incredibly tough but unlike previous years we do have the players to do it, we have the ability to create and score goals throughout the team, that has been proven by the fact we have scored in every league game. I feel we will look good against the better sides but may struggle against sides who come to 'bully' us, we shall see.
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:26 - Oct 5 with 1981 viewsbazza

Divine intervention..
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:27 - Oct 5 with 1980 viewsstrikalite

But how many of those teams in that 6th spot went on to make the play offs? You could also say that about the other three play off spots too...
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 16:31]
Login to get fewer ads

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:34 - Oct 5 with 1936 viewsPattiswickBlue

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:27 - Oct 5 by strikalite

But how many of those teams in that 6th spot went on to make the play offs? You could also say that about the other three play off spots too...
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 16:31]

Obviously this thread is just a guide but I have checked this for you:

20/21 — No Accrington finished 11th
19/20 — Yes Fleetwood finished 6th, but this was the COVID season.
18/19 — No Peterborough finished 7th
17/18 — Yes Charlton finished 6th
16/17 — No Southend Finished 7th
15/16 — Yes Bradford finished 5th

So, 50% of the teams did end up in the play-offs, with two sides finishing 7th.
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:38 - Oct 5 with 1898 viewsitfcjoe

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:18 - Oct 5 by positivity

We need somewhere around 66 points over 36 games, which over a full season would get you 85 points. Posh went up with 87 last year, Blackpool 3rd with 80 so it hardly disproves it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:40 - Oct 5 with 1860 viewsstrikalite

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:34 - Oct 5 by PattiswickBlue

All there or thereabouts then, interesting....
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:46 - Oct 5 with 1806 viewspositivity

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:38 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

We need somewhere around 66 points over 36 games, which over a full season would get you 85 points. Posh went up with 87 last year, Blackpool 3rd with 80 so it hardly disproves it.

see what you're saying.

i'd say you need 2 points a game to be fairly sure of auto promotion. get that in the next 14 games and then cruise through the rest of the season in mere playoff form!

(i realise saying 2 points a game for 14 games is cloud-cuckoo land on stanley form when we've fallen short of that mark even in the last 4!)

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:49 - Oct 5 with 1771 viewsPinewoodblue

Thought it was “ in, or around it” 4-5 points off a play off place would suffice, assuming we were improving game, by game.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:53 - Oct 5 with 1748 viewsPattiswickBlue

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:49 - Oct 5 by Pinewoodblue

Thought it was “ in, or around it” 4-5 points off a play off place would suffice, assuming we were improving game, by game.

Yeah of course, I just thought 6th was a good guideline.
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:53 - Oct 5 with 1750 viewsitfcjoe

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:46 - Oct 5 by positivity

see what you're saying.

i'd say you need 2 points a game to be fairly sure of auto promotion. get that in the next 14 games and then cruise through the rest of the season in mere playoff form!

(i realise saying 2 points a game for 14 games is cloud-cuckoo land on stanley form when we've fallen short of that mark even in the last 4!)

Think we’ll need to string 4 or 5 wins together 3 or 4 times this season alongside decent form - there is a lot to do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:54 - Oct 5 with 1730 viewsPattiswickBlue

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:34 - Oct 5 by PattiswickBlue

Further to this:

Team in 3rd after 24 games:

20/21 — Lincoln finished 5th
19/20 — Bristol Rovers finished 14th (lost their manager and COVID season)
18/19 — Sunderland finished 5th
17/18 — Shrewsbury finished 3rd
16/17 — Scunthorpe finished 3rd
15/16 — Gillingham finished 9th

4 out of 6 sides made it into the play-offs.

Team in 4th after 24 games:

20/21 — Portsmouth finished 8th
19/20 — Rotherham finished 2nd (COVID season)
18/19 — Barnsley finished 2nd
17/18 — Scunthorpe finished 5th
16/17 — Rochdale finished 9th
15/16 — Coventry finished 8th

2 sides were automatically promoted and 1 side finished in the play-offs.

Team in 5th after 24 games:

20/21 — Doncaster finished 14th (Moore left)
19/20 — Ipswich finished 11th (COVID season)
18/19 — Charlton finished 3rd
17/18 — Bradford finished 11th
16/17 — Bradford finished 5th
15/16 — Wigan finished 1st

1 side went up automatically and 2 finished in the play-offs.
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:54 - Oct 5 with 1730 viewsHerbivore

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:46 - Oct 5 by positivity

see what you're saying.

It's very rare you need 2 points a game for auto promotion. 2 points a game will win you the title 9 times out of 10. We need what would usually be 3rd place form over the rest of the season to be fairly confident of securing 6th. We need piss the league form to have any chance of reaching the top 2.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:55 - Oct 5 with 1690 viewsHARRY10

Which would, had anyone said that -

we do need an average 2 points a game over the next 23 games to put us in 6th place. And 2 points a game is 92 points over the season, which would not unlikely be title winning.

If 76 points gives us 6th place (May) then at the halfway stage we need to be on 38 points. 28 points from the next 13 games. That's just over 2 points a game, we currently have achieved marginally less than half that.

The thought would be then that we need an average of 1.8 points a game to get us to that 76, so we would not be in 6th at the half way stage, but we would be there come May.

The concern is that we don't have the players to do that ........as the table shows
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:56 - Oct 5 with 1679 viewsKeno

3 wiseman, a stable, a Messiahic baby, a fecking great big star, some shep herders, Section 6 singing and a virgin

not sure we could manage the last one

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 17:01 - Oct 5 with 1627 viewspositivity

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:54 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

It's very rare you need 2 points a game for auto promotion. 2 points a game will win you the title 9 times out of 10. We need what would usually be 3rd place form over the rest of the season to be fairly confident of securing 6th. We need piss the league form to have any chance of reaching the top 2.

win against shrewsbury and we're on 2 points a game for the past 5 games.

repeat that form for the next 35 games and we're 3rd-4th (83 points).

simple! (but not if we play like we did against stanley...)

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 17:02 - Oct 5 with 1624 viewsbazza

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:56 - Oct 5 by Keno

3 wiseman, a stable, a Messiahic baby, a fecking great big star, some shep herders, Section 6 singing and a virgin

not sure we could manage the last one

There’s definitely some virgins in section 6 ..
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 17:02 - Oct 5 with 1621 viewsHerbivore

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:55 - Oct 5 by HARRY10

we do need an average 2 points a game over the next 23 games to put us in 6th place. And 2 points a game is 92 points over the season, which would not unlikely be title winning.

If 76 points gives us 6th place (May) then at the halfway stage we need to be on 38 points. 28 points from the next 13 games. That's just over 2 points a game, we currently have achieved marginally less than half that.

The thought would be then that we need an average of 1.8 points a game to get us to that 76, so we would not be in 6th at the half way stage, but we would be there come May.

The concern is that we don't have the players to do that ........as the table shows

I am unconvinced that the issue is the players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 17:12 - Oct 5 with 1572 viewspositivity

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 16:55 - Oct 5 by HARRY10

the players are pretty good, it's the team that's not working well enough over the last 10 games.

splitting hairs, but 1.8 per game isn't auto promotion form, it'd get us c83 points over 46 games.

(we're currently averaging c1.8 points a game (for 4(four)games!)

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 17:16 - Oct 5 with 1558 viewsTJS

We basically need to win the next 5 home games in a row and maybe draw against Sunderland at home.
Throw in away wins at Cambridge, Plymouth and Charlton and we'd be in a decent position again.
Sadly I'm not sure just "going again" without some fundamental improvements is going to cut it.
What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? on 19:08 - Oct 5 with 1347 viewsOldboy

All of your posts in this thread are the most detailed and informative I have seen on here. Great work. Thank you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024