Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trick or treaters? 20:39 - Oct 31 with 1025 viewsPippin1970

Did you get many at the door. Loads tonight , nice to see it back to normal.
Trick or treaters? on 20:42 - Oct 31 with 1019 viewsfactual_blue

'Normal'? Are you a yank

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Trick or treaters? on 20:47 - Oct 31 with 982 viewsFtnfwest

None of that malarkey around here
Trick or treaters? on 20:50 - Oct 31 with 977 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trick or treaters? on 20:42 - Oct 31 by factual_blue

'Normal'? Are you a yank

It's great in America. Far less sinister, fewer people shoving dog crap through your letterbox and rather marvelous family entertainment. Of course we have to corrupt it, but that's more to do with our nation's insecurities and shortcomings than the event itself.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trick or treaters? on 20:56 - Oct 31 with 954 viewsdickie

Zero down Humber Doucy this eve, but the lack of pavements isn't exactly child friendly (we've never had any come a-knocking on all hallows)
Trick or treaters? on 21:36 - Oct 31 with 880 viewsGuthrum

None, but then it's blowing a gale and steaming down with rain here.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Trick or treaters? on 21:42 - Oct 31 with 868 viewsGlasgowBlue

No. Very slow tonight. Loads of sweets left over.

Before the pandemic it was a big deal up here. Not seen many lanterns or decorations.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Trick or treaters? on 22:17 - Oct 31 with 818 viewsBurns7

Trick or treaters? on 20:50 - Oct 31 by Swansea_Blue

It's great in America. Far less sinister, fewer people shoving dog crap through your letterbox and rather marvelous family entertainment. Of course we have to corrupt it, but that's more to do with our nation's insecurities and shortcomings than the event itself.

They have people putting razors in fruit… among other horrific events… isn’t that worse than dogsh1t?
Trick or treaters? on 22:31 - Oct 31 with 789 viewsBlueBadger

We've had none. This means I've got a ton of sweets to eat.

Oh......no?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Trick or treaters? on 22:38 - Oct 31 with 780 viewsIllinoisblue

Trick or treaters? on 20:50 - Oct 31 by Swansea_Blue

Happily, over here it’s become more Liquor Treat with adults drinking in the streets as the kids go get candy. Fun stuff. And lots of adults take it very seriously with ridiculous costumes and displays

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Trick or treaters? on 23:16 - Oct 31 with 718 viewsBluedicea

It's the original festival of the dead. That was adopted in the Americas from the Catholics that emigrated there.
It's a 3 day festival feast. All Hallows Tide, comprised of all Hallows eve, all Hallows day and all souls day. The idea was to remember and honour those who had recently departed.

It was a re packaged event of Lemuria, the Roman day of the dead, which was celebrated on the 13th of May (one of a few reasons 13 is considered to be unlucky) but was moved to the 3 days over the 1st of November by the north Christian Celts and Franks in the early 800's AD.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 23:17]

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Trick or treaters? on 06:04 - Nov 1 with 632 viewsChondzoresk

Didn’t hear or see anything. But I was in the west wing of my property yesterday evening.
Trick or treaters? on 18:38 - Nov 1 with 463 viewsTractorFrog

I may be in the minority here, but personally I cannot stand trick or treaters.
Where I live is right in the middle of a lot of houses on the edge of a town, and is a hotspot for trick or treaters. So there are always hundreds of children around on Halloween. The normal scenario is that they all bang on the door in an ungrateful, impatient way, then then stick their hands in the box of sweets and take a handful without even considering that maybe they are only supposed to take one and leave the rest for other people. Then they march off without even saying thank you. There are only so many children you can tell off for rudeness on an event like this, but when they don't even say 'trick or treat,' they just go straight for the sweets, it really gets on my nerves. Of course, there are lots of children who knock on the door politely, say 'trick or treat', take one sweet and then say thank you like civilised human beings, but there are enough that ruin it for me to justify not putting a pumpkin out, turning all the lights off and ignoring anyone who comes to the door between six and seven this year. Does anybody else feel the same way, or am I just the Scrooge of Halloween?
[Post edited 1 Nov 2021 18:39]

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Trick or treaters? on 18:46 - Nov 1 with 446 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Trick or treaters? on 18:38 - Nov 1 by TractorFrog

Where I live is right in the middle of a lot of houses on the edge of a town, and is a hotspot for trick or treaters. So there are always hundreds of children around on Halloween. The normal scenario is that they all bang on the door in an ungrateful, impatient way, then then stick their hands in the box of sweets and take a handful without even considering that maybe they are only supposed to take one and leave the rest for other people. Then they march off without even saying thank you. There are only so many children you can tell off for rudeness on an event like this, but when they don't even say 'trick or treat,' they just go straight for the sweets, it really gets on my nerves. Of course, there are lots of children who knock on the door politely, say 'trick or treat', take one sweet and then say thank you like civilised human beings, but there are enough that ruin it for me to justify not putting a pumpkin out, turning all the lights off and ignoring anyone who comes to the door between six and seven this year. Does anybody else feel the same way, or am I just the Scrooge of Halloween?

I hate it. It totally undermines most rules of safeguarding children, and directly flouts such basic instructions as "Don't take sweets from strangers."

And it can be upsetting for vulnerable elderly people living alone.

Bah Humbug. I'll join you as Scrooge and tell the ghost of Halloween Present to fck off if he calls on me next year!
Trick or treaters? on 19:42 - Nov 1 with 412 viewsBlueForYou

Well its moved on rapidly downhill where I live. My wife doesnt like the trick or treat, so I put a polite notice on the door & left sweets scattered along our pathway. Those were gratefully accepted by family groups as I was watching. However, not far away there are reports of an adult woman being driven around & stealing buckets & buckets of sweets meant for kids & families. She was caught on a doorbell camera, the car was silver but no one got the reg number. I hope the video goes viral & the thief is caught & publically shamed. What an absolute scumbag!
Trick or treaters? on 20:56 - Nov 1 with 359 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trick or treaters? on 22:17 - Oct 31 by Burns7

They have people putting razors in fruit… among other horrific events… isn’t that worse than dogsh1t?

You’d have to experience it to understand

Trick or treaters? on 20:56 - Nov 1 with 359 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Trick or treaters? on 19:42 - Nov 1 by BlueForYou

Well its moved on rapidly downhill where I live. My wife doesnt like the trick or treat, so I put a polite notice on the door & left sweets scattered along our pathway. Those were gratefully accepted by family groups as I was watching. However, not far away there are reports of an adult woman being driven around & stealing buckets & buckets of sweets meant for kids & families. She was caught on a doorbell camera, the car was silver but no one got the reg number. I hope the video goes viral & the thief is caught & publically shamed. What an absolute scumbag!

They need to print out the photos from the doorbell cameras and put them up at all diabetes clinics in a 20 mile radius, because that's where she's likely to be this week!
Trick or treaters? on 20:59 - Nov 1 with 357 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trick or treaters? on 22:38 - Oct 31 by Illinoisblue

Happily, over here it’s become more Liquor Treat with adults drinking in the streets as the kids go get candy. Fun stuff. And lots of adults take it very seriously with ridiculous costumes and displays

The costumes are great. I like it. Everyone puts in a big effort, loads of people on the streets, anything goes and then you get to all have a party afterwards. It’s chalk and cheese compared to what we do in the UK isn’t it.

Back here we don’t bother.

Trick or treaters? on 21:05 - Nov 1 with 352 viewsGlasgowBlue

Trick or treaters? on 18:38 - Nov 1 by TractorFrog

Bag the sweets up and hand them out rather than let them grab as many as they want.

Around here, the kids will only knock on doors which have pumpkins or decoration sup.

I've never had rude kids and they have always been polite and told a joke or whatever to get there sweets.

It's been a big thing for us for the past twenty years with all of my kids. Now my youngest is 14 she's lost interest. But it was a shame not to get many knocks last night. I'm living off Haribos, Wotsits and monkey nuts for the next few days.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024