Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red Wine. 12:35 - Nov 7 with 2456 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Enjoy a glass or two most evenings, recently been trying a few different Argentinian Malbec producers, and i must say have been very impressed by this particular grape. The Trivento reserve has been a particular favourite, but i'm wondering if the TWTD readership has any other suggestions i might be interested in sampling.
I'm as tight as a ducks arse so only suggestions up to a tenner a bottle.
Zinfandel recommendations also welcome.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Red Wine. on 12:49 - Nov 7 with 2065 viewsfooters

Dear chap, regarding your penultimate line, may I suggest pushing the boat out slightly on occasion? The quality of plonk dramatically increases once you spend slightly more on mid-range wines, maybe fifteen or so a bottle. Anything less than a tenner will get you something that likely sells in France for a few pounds, the rest is just tax and duties.

Although New Worlds are very good value at that level, I still find the amount of tanins in the reds to be an issue with the cheaper ones.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 15:37]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Red Wine. on 12:55 - Nov 7 with 2043 viewspennblue

Naked wines could be worth a look - you can get a decent discount off your first case.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Red Wine. on 13:08 - Nov 7 with 2011 viewsgtsb1966

Australian Shiraz every time for me. So many good ones reasonably priced.
Red Wine. on 13:13 - Nov 7 with 2001 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Red Wine. on 12:49 - Nov 7 by footers

Dear chap, regarding your penultimate line, may I suggest pushing the boat out slightly on occasion? The quality of plonk dramatically increases once you spend slightly more on mid-range wines, maybe fifteen or so a bottle. Anything less than a tenner will get you something that likely sells in France for a few pounds, the rest is just tax and duties.

Although New Worlds are very good value at that level, I still find the amount of tanins in the reds to be an issue with the cheaper ones.

Thankyou old fruit. Will bear that in mind though i may wince ever so slightly at the checkout.
The Trivento Malbec set me back about 8 quid a bottle and that was splendid on my inexperienced palate.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 13:18]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Red Wine. on 13:24 - Nov 7 with 1968 viewsfooters

Red Wine. on 13:13 - Nov 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

Thankyou old fruit. Will bear that in mind though i may wince ever so slightly at the checkout.
The Trivento Malbec set me back about 8 quid a bottle and that was splendid on my inexperienced palate.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 13:18]

You were gifted some posh plonk a while ago weren't you?

And always remember the words of my spirit animal, the dearly departed Keith Floyd, 'If it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to cook with.' *Slurp*

The lid goes on, life goes on and the beat goes on :)

Happy quaffing!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Red Wine. on 13:49 - Nov 7 with 1922 viewsfactual_blue

And raise a glass to Red, Red Wine's Astro while you're at it.

RIP Astro

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Red Wine. on 13:58 - Nov 7 with 1895 viewsJ2BLUE

I probably don't get a vote but I really liked this:

https://www.adnams.co.uk/wine/shop-by-grape/red_1/cabernet-sauvignon/6-x-paparud

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Red Wine. on 14:07 - Nov 7 with 1873 viewsCaptainAhab

I'm very partial to Aussie Shiraz too, I'd highly recommend The d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz, £12 in Tesco but often discounted to a tenner. Great wine for that price.
Login to get fewer ads

Red Wine. on 14:22 - Nov 7 with 1822 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lidl chianti reserva £5.99

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Red Wine. on 14:35 - Nov 7 with 1800 viewsunstableblue

Red Wine. on 14:07 - Nov 7 by CaptainAhab

I'm very partial to Aussie Shiraz too, I'd highly recommend The d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz, £12 in Tesco but often discounted to a tenner. Great wine for that price.

Went to the d’Arenberg vineyard (‘cellar door’) on my last Aussie work trip…

Great set up- they have a range of quality and price - Deadarm Shiraz expensive for example

The Shiraz you reference is good

There is real competition between the mclaren vale and barossa valley wine areas in and around Adelaide

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Red Wine. on 14:37 - Nov 7 with 1792 viewsfactual_blue

If you haven't been to St Emilion to buy your wine, I'm not interested.

Red Wine. on 14:45 - Nov 7 with 1772 viewswkj

NZ Pinot Noir is a treat - hard to go wrong with a Chilean red. For something a bit milder, coop does a rjoca for about 6 or 7 quid that stands up well.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Red Wine. on 15:17 - Nov 7 with 1701 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

If it’s not from Chile then it’s not on my dinner table.
Red Wine. on 15:23 - Nov 7 with 1686 viewsfactual_blue

Red Wine. on 14:07 - Nov 7 by CaptainAhab

Red Wine. on 15:33 - Nov 7 with 1658 viewsDBaldy

Rioja or tempranillo for me. Although I will say the Aussie Shiraz goes really well with spicy tomato dishes if you wanted something other than lager with a chilli
Red Wine. on 15:35 - Nov 7 with 1654 viewssohamblue74

https://images.app.goo.gl/G7kcv9TLuzMycFFr8
Red Wine. on 18:32 - Nov 7 with 1537 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Rasteau at Lidl when they have it is very good too.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Red Wine. on 18:52 - Nov 7 with 1502 viewsGeomorph

Red Wine. on 18:32 - Nov 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

The Rasteau at Lidl when they have it is very good too.

Cotes du Rhone. Bordeaux. Beaujolais or a Rioja from booths all around a tenner
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 19:28]
Red Wine. on 19:46 - Nov 7 with 1422 viewsCaptainAhab

Red Wine. on 14:35 - Nov 7 by unstableblue

Went to the d’Arenberg vineyard (‘cellar door’) on my last Aussie work trip…

Great set up- they have a range of quality and price - Deadarm Shiraz expensive for example

The Shiraz you reference is good

There is real competition between the mclaren vale and barossa valley wine areas in and around Adelaide

Nice work trip! Would love to do a tour of McLaren Vale, did one of Barossa many moons ago, incredible memories.
The Deadarm is on my wine bucket list but for now the Footbolt will have to suffice!
Red Wine. on 19:54 - Nov 7 with 1406 viewsazuremerlangus

Can highly recommend this as a Zinfandel option - but wait until it is in a 20-25% off offer so is is a shade over £10 a bottle but worth it. Stunning.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/brazin-old-vine-zinfandel
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 19:58]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Red Wine. on 19:55 - Nov 7 with 1405 viewsjimsymBLUE

Red Wine. on 19:46 - Nov 7 by CaptainAhab

Nice work trip! Would love to do a tour of McLaren Vale, did one of Barossa many moons ago, incredible memories.
The Deadarm is on my wine bucket list but for now the Footbolt will have to suffice!

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/solomonar-reserve-red-21082
This at £8 a bottle is an absolute worldy for those who enjoy a heavyish, fruity number not overladen with tannin.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 20:01]

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Red Wine. on 19:57 - Nov 7 with 1396 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Red Wine. on 13:24 - Nov 7 by footers

You were gifted some posh plonk a while ago weren't you?

And always remember the words of my spirit animal, the dearly departed Keith Floyd, 'If it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to cook with.' *Slurp*

The lid goes on, life goes on and the beat goes on :)

Happy quaffing!

Indeed i was dear boy. I vowed to open it on the occasion of our first victory of the season.
Tasted all the better for it too.

Thanks all, some nice looking suggestions.

Red Wine. on 20:02 - Nov 7 with 1362 viewsCaptainAhab

Red Wine. on 19:55 - Nov 7 by jimsymBLUE

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/solomonar-reserve-red-21082
This at £8 a bottle is an absolute worldy for those who enjoy a heavyish, fruity number not overladen with tannin.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 20:01]

Romanian eh? Interesting! Not tried that one, will pick one up next time I'm in majestic, cheers!
Red Wine. on 21:51 - Nov 7 with 1265 viewssolemio

Aldi: Portuguese Animus Douro £5.99

Remarkably good for that price.
Red Wine. on 21:57 - Nov 7 with 1251 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Red Wine. on 12:49 - Nov 7 by footers

Everything Footers says. About £5 is literally spent on bottle, duties etc. Furthermore, if you buy that same bottle for say £7 at retail; the vast majority will be ‘big purple’ or similar, which is generic, dark wine used as a cheap as chips base to which that add to.

Loads of good suggestions here but Rioja is a standout and pretty forgiving whatever you spend. Maybe try Times Wine Club or Costco if you are a member and get a box of something better quality but a decent price per bottle.

My mrs loves some batmad 16% red wine mentalness which I swear I urinate out the same colour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024