Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dean Smith 14:29 - Nov 14 with 2815 viewsWickets

Says Sky ! New Norwich manager .
Dean Smith on 14:31 - Nov 14 with 2791 viewsWestover

That's a pity I think he will do a good job I'm sorry to say 😩
Dean Smith on 14:36 - Nov 14 with 2770 viewsOwainG1992

I quite like him.
Think he's a more than decent manager.
What a shame! 🤣

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Dean Smith on 14:40 - Nov 14 with 2747 viewsEastTownBlue

Suspect that Norwich will be better suited to him as a manager than his beloved Villa.
Dean Smith on 14:40 - Nov 14 with 2739 viewsfooters

Shame. He's a decent fit there.

Where's Fat Sam when you need him?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dean Smith on 14:49 - Nov 14 with 2709 viewsMillsey

Dean Smith on 14:31 - Nov 14 by Westover

Really did well at Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dean Smith on 14:58 - Nov 14 with 2677 viewsKeno

Pah!!

Never liked him

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Dean Smith on 15:04 - Nov 14 with 2658 viewsIllinoisblue

He’s inadvertently facked himself by buying Buendia for Villa. Surprised he’s going back into management so quickly.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Dean Smith on 15:22 - Nov 14 with 2580 viewsNthQldITFC

You can't polish one.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Dean Smith on 15:24 - Nov 14 with 2569 viewsPlums

Dean Smith on 15:04 - Nov 14 by Illinoisblue

He’s inadvertently facked himself by buying Buendia for Villa. Surprised he’s going back into management so quickly.

Rebound decisions are rarely good ones…

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Dean Smith on 15:29 - Nov 14 with 2539 viewspointofblue

Damn, it looks like they've hired someone competent.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dean Smith on 15:41 - Nov 14 with 2516 viewsGuthrum

Dean Smith on 15:29 - Nov 14 by pointofblue

Farke was competent, just hadn't got the tools to even make a decent fist of it this season (especially with Pukki lacking form). That hasn't been changed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dean Smith on 16:36 - Nov 14 with 2327 viewsIllinoisblue

Dean Smith on 15:24 - Nov 14 by Plums

Rebound decisions are rarely good ones…

Smith seems a decent bloke but I hope his time at Carrow rd is a massive disaster for him

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Dean Smith on 16:43 - Nov 14 with 2306 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Isn't his CV pretty much the same as Farke's. Good record for promotion from the Championship and experience but little achievement in the Premier League?

Just feels a bit like they had someone lined up (Lampard?) that fell through and couldn't find any improvement on Farke after all. I guess they couldn't go back to him having sacked him. Just seems a strange change to have made.

Unless it is more about sharing all but 2 characters with the owner's name?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dean Smith on 16:45 - Nov 14 with 2289 viewsWD19

Dean Smith on 15:29 - Nov 14 by pointofblue

Yep, I am guessing he will get his ‘Leam Richardson’ too….. which is a bit annoying if I am being honest.
Dean Smith on 16:45 - Nov 14 with 2287 viewsWeWereZombies

Dean Smith on 16:43 - Nov 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Isn't his CV pretty much the same as Farke's. Good record for promotion from the Championship and experience but little achievement in the Premier League?

Just feels a bit like they had someone lined up (Lampard?) that fell through and couldn't find any improvement on Farke after all. I guess they couldn't go back to him having sacked him. Just seems a strange change to have made.

Unless it is more about sharing all but 2 characters with the owner's name?

Smith had Villa looking like they could break into the top four (or top six maybe) monopoly at the top of the Premier League at times, I don't think Farke ever really looked like doing that at Nodge.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Dean Smith on 16:46 - Nov 14 with 2277 viewsBramidan

Dean Smith on 15:41 - Nov 14 by Guthrum

Farke was competent, just hadn't got the tools to even make a decent fist of it this season (especially with Pukki lacking form). That hasn't been changed.

I don't think it's Pukki lacking form I just think he's one of those strikers who is above average in the championship but not good enough, or fast enough, against premiership defenders and premiership defences.
Dean Smith on 16:52 - Nov 14 with 2246 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dean Smith on 16:45 - Nov 14 by WeWereZombies

Smith had Villa looking like they could break into the top four (or top six maybe) monopoly at the top of the Premier League at times, I don't think Farke ever really looked like doing that at Nodge.

17th, 11th, 16th and then sacked for in danger of bottom 3. Not sure how much that threatens the top 4 (or even 6)!

OK - I see Farke consistently finished 20th but don't Villa have a far better squad and have invested in it?

It feels to me they have gone fairly like-for-like. Time will tell. I am sure we all agree that we hope he equals Farke's Premier League record without matching his Championship one.

Dean Smith on 16:55 - Nov 14 with 2226 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dean Smith on 16:46 - Nov 14 by Bramidan

I don't think it's Pukki lacking form I just think he's one of those strikers who is above average in the championship but not good enough, or fast enough, against premiership defenders and premiership defences.

He was on fire for half a season on the Premier League. I reckon that, had they cashed in on him that January they probably could have got a decent fee for him. Whether teams worked him out, he has lost some of his pace or he is missing the service of Buendia who knows? Probably a bit of a combination of them all.

Dean Smith on 18:43 - Nov 14 with 1997 viewsbilllm

Me to,I wasn't happy when they sacked farke,
Dean Smith on 18:47 - Nov 14 with 1961 viewsgtsb1966

Villa are 15th in the premier League and have spent ..,. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14160241/aston-villa-transfer-net-spend-
Dean Smith on 18:50 - Nov 14 with 1942 viewsWeWereZombies

Dean Smith on 16:52 - Nov 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

17th, 11th, 16th and then sacked for in danger of bottom 3. Not sure how much that threatens the top 4 (or even 6)!

OK - I see Farke consistently finished 20th but don't Villa have a far better squad and have invested in it?

It feels to me they have gone fairly like-for-like. Time will tell. I am sure we all agree that we hope he equals Farke's Premier League record without matching his Championship one.

If you look at Villa's position throughout the 2020/21 season you can see they tailed off towards the end, but I think my assertion holds up to week 14 at least:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_Aston_Villa_F.C._season#Results_by

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Dean Smith on 18:52 - Nov 14 with 1936 viewsArnieM

Dean Smith on 15:22 - Nov 14 by NthQldITFC

You can't polish one.

I’d say his Villa squad are a lot stronger than the norwich one… it’ll be interesting to see what he goes and how it goes. He’ll no doubt have the obligatory honeymoon period, but I’m not convinced he’ll keep them up , and I can’t see old smith splashing the cash - unless they sell first .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Dean Smith on 18:54 - Nov 14 with 1918 viewsOldboy

They are still going down.
Dean Smith on 20:48 - Nov 14 with 1705 viewsParisBlue

Dean Smith on 18:54 - Nov 14 by Oldboy

They are still going down.

Maybe, everybody is assuming so, but they've given themselves a chance.

Their next game is vs Southampton, Villa's opponents in Smith's last game. Then it's Newcastle. If they get the 'New Manager Bounce' then that gap will be closed. They've also got Villa in December.

They've given him a 2.5 year contract. If they do go down and don't come back up then that aligns to the parachute payments.

More interestingly Stuart Webber's contract is up at the end of this season. Will be interesting if he agrees an extension.

I wish Dean Smith the worst of luck.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Dean Smith on 23:00 - Nov 14 with 1537 viewsDeano69

‘ and the club's bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process…’

Yeah right.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024