Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 20:10 - Jan 7 with 4510 viewsVic

My lad in Brum has a choice of either of these cars and can’t make up his mind. But roughly the same year, mileage and price

Please help him!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 20:20 - Jan 7 with 3766 viewsblueconscience

BMW 1 series

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 20:22 - Jan 7 with 3765 viewsPendejo

Insurance cost? Mpg?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 20:23 - Jan 7 with 3762 viewsgeg1992

1 series is a much better car in general,

However, need to consider, engine, requirements etc.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 20:55 - Jan 7 with 3700 viewsBasuco

BMW 1 is a two plus two, no leg room in the back at all if adults are in the front, the diesel engine is very good, but it is so much fun you have little chance of getting anywhere near the economy quoted, firm suspension and it just loves to be driven hard. Not driven the 3.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 21:11 - Jan 7 with 3660 viewsfactual_blue

Go for the Skoda Octavia.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 21:16 - Jan 7 with 3653 viewsChondzoresk

Wearing my BMW spectacles id just go for the 1 series. Better quality, better ride, better engine, better interior which ever it is. Must have FSH. It’s driven by a timing chain rather than a belt. Best to listen to it on cold start up. Any rattles, walk away. Personally I’d go for the M135 or M140…..utter beasts, but big insurance costs for the younger driver with 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Other than that a diesel for mpg.

I did drive a Mazda once at Rockingham Race Track in 2010, I wasn’t impressed.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 21:21 - Jan 7 with 3641 viewsronnyd

BMWs and Mercs are not the quality cars that they were in the 90s/2000s. Various electrical problems now.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 21:56 - Jan 7 with 3573 viewsDurovigutum

How old? Petrol or diesel?

Confucius he say "The only thing more expensive than a new BMW is a used BMW while the most expensive car you will ever own is a cheap BMW."

A petrol engined Mazda will be reliable as long as it doesn't rust (or hasn't started rusting, depending on its age). A diesel engined Mazda will eat itself if it doesn't do very regular long journeys and will probably be more expensive and certainly less reliable than a money pit BMW.

Me? From his list I'd go petrol Mazda 3, petrol BMW 1, diesel BMW, diesel Mazda.
Login to get fewer ads

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:00 - Jan 7 with 3557 viewsZXBlue

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 21:56 - Jan 7 by Durovigutum

How old? Petrol or diesel?

Confucius he say "The only thing more expensive than a new BMW is a used BMW while the most expensive car you will ever own is a cheap BMW."

A petrol engined Mazda will be reliable as long as it doesn't rust (or hasn't started rusting, depending on its age). A diesel engined Mazda will eat itself if it doesn't do very regular long journeys and will probably be more expensive and certainly less reliable than a money pit BMW.

Me? From his list I'd go petrol Mazda 3, petrol BMW 1, diesel BMW, diesel Mazda.

Mazdas are absolutely sound. The 1 series is just a pain leg room and shape wise if you are a decent sized bloke.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:07 - Jan 7 with 3535 viewsbelgablue

What year is the Mazda ? The new 3 is a great car, loads of features and the Skyactiv X will do decent MPG.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:10 - Jan 7 with 3530 viewsVic

Thanks all.

He’s a 6ft 4 Dr so he’s a big lad, with plenty of money to pay for running costs. But only wants to spend £8,500 this time round. He doesn’t like to be conventional - so isn’t inclined to the beemer, but I tend to think that’s the way he should go!

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:22 - Jan 7 with 3504 viewsZXBlue

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:10 - Jan 7 by Vic

Thanks all.

He’s a 6ft 4 Dr so he’s a big lad, with plenty of money to pay for running costs. But only wants to spend £8,500 this time round. He doesn’t like to be conventional - so isn’t inclined to the beemer, but I tend to think that’s the way he should go!

I sold my 1 series because the leg room and footwell shape annoyed me. I am 5 8.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:31 - Jan 7 with 3491 viewsWicklowBlue

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:00 - Jan 7 by ZXBlue

Mazdas are absolutely sound. The 1 series is just a pain leg room and shape wise if you are a decent sized bloke.

As with all cars do your research into what's good and what's bad. Ignore the badge, my neighbour has many more troubles with their BMW 3 series than I have had with my Mazda CX5 Skytech diesel.

Ignore the user reviews on the older Mazda diesels, which were Ford based, the Skytech engines are really good once serviced ontime and have timing chains, much better than the French HDI stuff. When I was looking at the CX5 there were horror stories online along with the Volvo XC40 D4 engines. 3 years on with dealer servicing the CX5 hasn't missed a beat!
Ultimately if buying second hand, all cars that have a FSH and been serviced on schedule by a dealer you have some recourse and reassurance.

Being a previous Alfa owner and petrol head before family considerations, I'd go for the Mazda 3. 1 series just boring, the Mazda 3 is much better looking...

Ignore all of us though and checkout reviews and owner reviews on sites such as:

Honestjohn.co.uk
Parker's.co.uk

etc etc

PS I kinda miss my Alfa 147 twin spark even though bits fell off it every 5 miles!
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 23:16 - Jan 7 with 3429 viewsronnyd

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:31 - Jan 7 by WicklowBlue

As with all cars do your research into what's good and what's bad. Ignore the badge, my neighbour has many more troubles with their BMW 3 series than I have had with my Mazda CX5 Skytech diesel.

Ignore the user reviews on the older Mazda diesels, which were Ford based, the Skytech engines are really good once serviced ontime and have timing chains, much better than the French HDI stuff. When I was looking at the CX5 there were horror stories online along with the Volvo XC40 D4 engines. 3 years on with dealer servicing the CX5 hasn't missed a beat!
Ultimately if buying second hand, all cars that have a FSH and been serviced on schedule by a dealer you have some recourse and reassurance.

Being a previous Alfa owner and petrol head before family considerations, I'd go for the Mazda 3. 1 series just boring, the Mazda 3 is much better looking...

Ignore all of us though and checkout reviews and owner reviews on sites such as:

Honestjohn.co.uk
Parker's.co.uk

etc etc

PS I kinda miss my Alfa 147 twin spark even though bits fell off it every 5 miles!

Good advice there and also owners forums are a mine of information.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 06:52 - Jan 8 with 3310 viewsEly_Blue

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:22 - Jan 7 by ZXBlue

I sold my 1 series because the leg room and footwell shape annoyed me. I am 5 8.

I have the x2 and it’s almost an X1, well it’s based on the same chassis etc and I’m not looking forward to it going back at the end of the year because I know that I’ll not get another one on my ever decreasing company car list

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 07:56 - Jan 8 with 3258 viewssolomon

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 21:21 - Jan 7 by ronnyd

BMWs and Mercs are not the quality cars that they were in the 90s/2000s. Various electrical problems now.

Simply not true, Mercedes build quality is sublime as is the case with most of the German top marques.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 07:57 - Jan 8 with 3255 viewssolomon

Go for the BMW, the Mazda is a good car but the residuals are not in the same universe.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 08:03 - Jan 8 with 3250 viewssuffolkpoker

I run 5 Mazda 3’s for my work. Ok to drive but horrible to own for parts, deprecation and after care.

I’m not a bmw fan but I take that over then Mazdas all day.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:09 - Jan 8 with 3181 viewsCoastalblue

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 07:56 - Jan 8 by solomon

Simply not true, Mercedes build quality is sublime as is the case with most of the German top marques.

I take issue with that, particularly Mercedes, I see countless less than a year old with problems with software and electronics issues.

A 5 year old Merc (which to be fair we're probably talking about) is one thing but there's no way you'd get me to buy a new one now, and I'm a bit of a fan.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:26 - Jan 8 with 3158 viewssolomon

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:09 - Jan 8 by Coastalblue

I take issue with that, particularly Mercedes, I see countless less than a year old with problems with software and electronics issues.

A 5 year old Merc (which to be fair we're probably talking about) is one thing but there's no way you'd get me to buy a new one now, and I'm a bit of a fan.

I have a new Mercedes and I can tell you it’s fantastic quality, far better than anything else I’ve ever had, I would never now stray from the brand and I’ve owned the other 3 German brands in the past and although very good they don't match this Mercedes one bit.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2022 9:29]
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:41 - Jan 8 with 3122 viewsCoastalblue

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:26 - Jan 8 by solomon

I have a new Mercedes and I can tell you it’s fantastic quality, far better than anything else I’ve ever had, I would never now stray from the brand and I’ve owned the other 3 German brands in the past and although very good they don't match this Mercedes one bit.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2022 9:29]

They are wonderful machines when they work and I hope you get years of trouble free motoring, I'll agree there's little else to match them in terms of a place to sit. I do worry about the 'software' side of things though, I genuinely do see quite a number and I think it would put me off now sadly.

Having said that, equally I see lots of new electric vehicles with the same issues, hopefully it's teething problems as the industry adapts to massive changes. The biggest issue with all of them is that once a fault develops they turn into a brick, no limp home any more.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:50 - Jan 8 with 3111 viewsDurovigutum

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:10 - Jan 7 by Vic

Thanks all.

I'm 6'3 with long legs. Look at the Volvo V40 post 2016 facelift, the T3 in R Design trim with 150 bhp is all you need. Ergonomically perfect, different from the regular, lovely inside (but tight in the back) and I think nice from outside - but possibly too much £ for your budget with the way the market is (and used prices are bonkers atm).

At £8,500 I'd not be looking at BMWs, they are in prime "selling coz something is about to cost a fortune" range.

Petrol Mazda 3, at this price point - but checking it's not a rusty one.

Diesel Mazda's can do odd things with oil ( https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1503944) but I far prefer petrols and the Mazda 3 isn't big enough to benefit from a diesel lump.
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 10:01 - Jan 8 with 3092 viewsVic

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 22:31 - Jan 7 by WicklowBlue

Honestjohn.co.uk
Parker's.co.uk

etc etc

Cheers wickers. Excellent advice which confiRms what I’ve already told him. He’s looking at the skytech diesels and having read and watched loads of reviews I thought I’d pop this thread on here to get the authoritative view on things!

Just goes to show that at the end of the day it usually comes down to personal character and preference doesn’t it as views are pretty divided! It tells me thought that neither are likely to be a disaster and he needs to go with the car he fancies once he’s sat and driven it.

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 11:15 - Jan 8 with 3033 viewssolomon

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:41 - Jan 8 by Coastalblue

They are wonderful machines when they work and I hope you get years of trouble free motoring, I'll agree there's little else to match them in terms of a place to sit. I do worry about the 'software' side of things though, I genuinely do see quite a number and I think it would put me off now sadly.

Having said that, equally I see lots of new electric vehicles with the same issues, hopefully it's teething problems as the industry adapts to massive changes. The biggest issue with all of them is that once a fault develops they turn into a brick, no limp home any more.

Think the software issues are prevalent across all brands, I must admit having all these features they susceptible to shut downs, most notably collision radars and the external assist systems ,this time of year they need to be clean at all times to work effectively .

As for EV’s well less moving parts so in the long run massively more reliable than ICE’s
BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 11:49 - Jan 8 with 2999 viewsDurovigutum

BMW 1 series or Mazda 3 on 09:09 - Jan 8 by Coastalblue

You'd have thought about 5 years old, but I've just looked at the V40. My T2 lease finished in June 2020 at which point it was resold for £12k - it was mint, with 40k miles up.

I've just looked at the equivalent, and with a slightly lower mileage the cheapest is £16,999.

I've popped my XC40 into we buy any car, they'll pay £2k less than I paid for it new in late 2019. £2k in 2 years in stupidly low depreciation.

£8.5k looks like 8-10 years old !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024