Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid at the footy 13:26 - Jan 19 with 1412 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Just looking for some insight really, MK Dons is my most local game and I always try and go however I'm a bit wary this year, read a few posts on here from people who think they may have got COVID attending games. Has this been the case for anyone.

Thus far I have managed to avoid the plague and I'm not keen on getting it. That said I of course want to go and roar on the Town but I also have a weekend away booked the week following the game which I definitely don't want to have to cancel.

What's people's experience been?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Covid at the footy on 13:46 - Jan 19 with 1331 viewsjayessess

I've gone to a lot of home games and a few away, travelling to and from London, and thus far haven't caught it.

I was pretty trepidatious before I started going back, but in truth I've not felt very exposed at matches. I don't hang around in the concourse, try to avoid going down there at all at half time. In effect I'm just out in the open air for 2 hours with people who've been vaccinated or have a recent negative test, who likely don't have Covid symptoms. You'd have to be pretty unfortunate to end up having a long face-to-face conversation with someone who has it, which is what it would take to catch it outdoors.

That said, I felt a bit vulnerable at the Wycombe match because my seats were near the back, closer to the roof and therefore were a bit more enclosed. I wore my mask throughout that one.

It's a slightly elevated risk when compared to staying home and sticking the iFollow on, but fairly negligible (certainly compared to visiting a restaurant or my day job teaching 75 undergraduate students face to face every week).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Covid at the footy on 13:52 - Jan 19 with 1315 viewsRozz

Depends largely on the crowd & stadium. Charlton was a bit silly - sold out away end with tight seats and one exit for bar and toilets. It was just at the start of Omicron IIRC, and a lot of people seemed to test positive shortly afterwards.

My thought then was that if someone in the 8 seats immediately around me had it, in 2+ hours packed like sardines talking and shouting, I'm probably getting it. Of course it's outside and you can argue about ventilation. It could quite literally depend what way the wind is blowing. I was fine.

Of course you could sit closer to the pitch, arrive/leave early, avoid concourse at half time, if you've a local postcode even pick a quieter corner of the home end?

I'd go, on your own terms.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 13:52]
Covid at the footy on 13:56 - Jan 19 with 1277 viewsjayessess

Covid at the footy on 13:52 - Jan 19 by Rozz

Depends largely on the crowd & stadium. Charlton was a bit silly - sold out away end with tight seats and one exit for bar and toilets. It was just at the start of Omicron IIRC, and a lot of people seemed to test positive shortly afterwards.

My thought then was that if someone in the 8 seats immediately around me had it, in 2+ hours packed like sardines talking and shouting, I'm probably getting it. Of course it's outside and you can argue about ventilation. It could quite literally depend what way the wind is blowing. I was fine.

Of course you could sit closer to the pitch, arrive/leave early, avoid concourse at half time, if you've a local postcode even pick a quieter corner of the home end?

On your own terms is a good way of putting it. Lots of ways you can mitigate the risk - arrive early, stay in your seat throughout, sit at the front so you're not so enclosed by the roof, double mask, wait until everyone leaves to clear out.

Some of them will compromise your enjoyment of the day, but that's a choice you've got to make about your comfort with risk.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Covid at the footy on 14:11 - Jan 19 with 1232 viewslongtimefan

I've been to all home games and a number of away matches and have been fine. However, I've worn a decent mask for the full duration of all the matches and avoided entrances, exit and toilets etc. at the busiest times. Probably a bit of overkill but I'd rather give myself the best chance of avoiding infection while still attending.
Covid at the footy on 14:12 - Jan 19 with 1227 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Thanks Both, very helpful. As one who has a beard sitting there masked up is something I'll have to think about too.

Assume I have to my vaccination card with me in case asked for it upon entry too.

Sorting a day at the footy has never been so involved

Covid at the footy on 14:14 - Jan 19 with 1211 viewsSwansea_Blue

Covid at the footy on 13:56 - Jan 19 by jayessess

On your own terms is a good way of putting it. Lots of ways you can mitigate the risk - arrive early, stay in your seat throughout, sit at the front so you're not so enclosed by the roof, double mask, wait until everyone leaves to clear out.

Some of them will compromise your enjoyment of the day, but that's a choice you've got to make about your comfort with risk.

Indeed. Avoiding the concourses just before kickoff, at half time and immediately post match seems like the best thing you can do. Half time especially is pretty rammed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Covid at the footy on 14:17 - Jan 19 with 1187 viewsSitfcB

Covid at the footy on 14:12 - Jan 19 by BlueandTruesince82

Thanks Both, very helpful. As one who has a beard sitting there masked up is something I'll have to think about too.

Assume I have to my vaccination card with me in case asked for it upon entry too.

Sorting a day at the footy has never been so involved

No more vaccine ‘passports’ or proof of negative test required from next Thursday.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Covid at the footy on 14:21 - Jan 19 with 1164 viewsstringy

Covid at the footy on 13:52 - Jan 19 by Rozz

indeed, my wife almost certainly got Covid at Charlton away, great night that *sigh*
Login to get fewer ads

Covid at the footy on 14:21 - Jan 19 with 1171 viewsJ2BLUE

read a few posts on here from people who think they may have got COVID attending games.

Are you sure about this? Can't imagine that would have been said without a massive sh1t storm?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Covid at the footy on 14:23 - Jan 19 with 1136 viewsRozz

Covid at the footy on 14:21 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

read a few posts on here from people who think they may have got COVID attending games.

Are you sure about this? Can't imagine that would have been said without a massive sh1t storm?

I think he means they caught it at the game rather than attended knowingly with it. I assume that's what you're questioning anyhow.
Covid at the footy on 14:25 - Jan 19 with 1121 viewsRozz

Covid at the footy on 14:21 - Jan 19 by stringy

indeed, my wife almost certainly got Covid at Charlton away, great night that *sigh*

At least the performance was worth it...
Covid at the footy on 14:26 - Jan 19 with 1119 viewsSitfcB

Covid at the footy on 14:21 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

People who have contracted COVID after attending football.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Covid at the footy on 14:34 - Jan 19 with 1080 viewsJ2BLUE

Covid at the footy on 14:23 - Jan 19 by Rozz

I think he means they caught it at the game rather than attended knowingly with it. I assume that's what you're questioning anyhow.

Yep, my bad, completely misread it.

Apologies OP.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Covid at the footy on 14:39 - Jan 19 with 1063 viewsSteve_M

Covid at the footy on 13:56 - Jan 19 by jayessess

Yes, I would agree.

For Sunderland before Christmas, I walked to Liverpool Street and avoided the pub. Less ideal but lower risk, I've tried to avoid the concourse under SBR as much as possible this season.

I can't imagine that covid got transmitted too far at Gillingham given the weather.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Covid at the footy on 14:42 - Jan 19 with 1045 viewsBlueBadger

Covid at the footy on 14:26 - Jan 19 by SitfcB

People who have contracted COVID after attending football.

Covid wasn't at the football, it was just sitting near the football.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Covid at the footy on 14:43 - Jan 19 with 1040 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Covid at the footy on 14:34 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

Yep, my bad, completely misread it.

Apologies OP.

Yeah I didn't word my post v well there did I.

Covid at the footy on 15:58 - Jan 19 with 902 viewsFtnfwest

I was one of those who (probably) got it after the Doncaster home game in September but on the same night was in Mcd getting food for my daughter who came with me. Given no-one was wearing a mask in there and rather than a conventional queue where you'd be facing someone's back, the panel ordering system means you're all facing each other. Bottom line - far more likely that i got it there than at the game.
(I say probably as i did 2 negative LFT's when i felt the worst but isolated anyway and just never went to get a PCR test at the time as didn't need it for anything. Daughter had a heavy cold after same game but continually tested negative for school and Mrs F never got it either.)
Covid at the footy on 16:01 - Jan 19 with 888 viewsWallingford_Boy

Covid at the footy on 13:46 - Jan 19 by jayessess

I've gone to a lot of home games and a few away, travelling to and from London, and thus far haven't caught it.

I was pretty trepidatious before I started going back, but in truth I've not felt very exposed at matches. I don't hang around in the concourse, try to avoid going down there at all at half time. In effect I'm just out in the open air for 2 hours with people who've been vaccinated or have a recent negative test, who likely don't have Covid symptoms. You'd have to be pretty unfortunate to end up having a long face-to-face conversation with someone who has it, which is what it would take to catch it outdoors.

That said, I felt a bit vulnerable at the Wycombe match because my seats were near the back, closer to the roof and therefore were a bit more enclosed. I wore my mask throughout that one.

It's a slightly elevated risk when compared to staying home and sticking the iFollow on, but fairly negligible (certainly compared to visiting a restaurant or my day job teaching 75 undergraduate students face to face every week).

I got COVID at the Charlton game as did many, but it would have been the pub beforehand or the tube, not the actual stadium.

RIP Sir Bobby

Covid at the footy on 16:38 - Jan 19 with 803 viewsJDB23

I caught it at either the Wednesday or Doncaster home game, didn’t go anywhere else in that time frame where I could have picked it up.

North lower which is always busy, I also usually get to the stadium quite late so the queues outside are long and the concourse is packed. Minimise your time in that area by arriving early and wearing a mask and you’ll stand a better chance of avoiding it. My brother stood next to me didn’t catch it and he was in his seat all game whereas I went to the toilet after getting in then went to the concourse at half time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024