Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! 13:28 - Feb 13 with 1511 viewscbower

Makes you realise just how poor we have been at corners and free kicks in comparison

bluescouser

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 13:44 - Feb 13 with 1460 viewsScuzzer

And now 20!
Come on Rothers!

Established 1968

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 13:44 - Feb 13 with 1460 viewsnorfsufblue

Er...20!
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 13:45 - Feb 13 with 1455 viewsSteve_M

Apart from that spell when Gill stepped up last March, and just after, we have struggled to score from them for a while with all sorts of different players. Bonne should have scored late on yesterday mind.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 13:47 - Feb 13 with 1422 viewsDubtractor

They are ruthlessly efficient at this level, really hard to score against, and make the most of the advantages they have in attacking situations.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:14 - Feb 13 with 1352 viewsVeggie

We definitely need to work on our corners and free kicks. A lot of teams rely on them for their goals. We never seem to score from them.
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:19 - Feb 13 with 1327 viewsDubtractor

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:14 - Feb 13 by Veggie

We definitely need to work on our corners and free kicks. A lot of teams rely on them for their goals. We never seem to score from them.

I agree, but we actually took some good corners yesterday and probably should have scored from one of them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:26 - Feb 13 with 1288 viewsVic

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:14 - Feb 13 by Veggie

How many have we scored from corners this season?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:28 - Feb 13 with 1283 viewsnorfsufblue

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:19 - Feb 13 by Dubtractor

I agree, but we actually took some good corners yesterday and probably should have scored from one of them.

The trouble is that none of our players seem to get on the move as the corner is delivered... even when a good one is arriving we are essentially trying to score from a standing jump.... its definitely something that a good coaching team can work on and improve in my opinion
Login to get fewer ads

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:29 - Feb 13 with 1275 viewslongtimefan

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:26 - Feb 13 by Vic

How many have we scored from corners this season?

I recall a Bonne near post flick header but struggling after that
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:33 - Feb 13 with 1261 viewsJDB23

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:28 - Feb 13 by norfsufblue

The trouble is that none of our players seem to get on the move as the corner is delivered... even when a good one is arriving we are essentially trying to score from a standing jump.... its definitely something that a good coaching team can work on and improve in my opinion

Yes that was something I noticed yesterday too, absolutely static in the box and so if a delivery somehow does end up on one of our players head’s, it’s all the harder to get the power and trajectory on the ball to score. Not sure if we’ve been like that consistently this season or if it’s something new.
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:35 - Feb 13 with 1248 viewslongtimefan

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:28 - Feb 13 by norfsufblue

Completely agree with your diagnosis. All we seem to want to do is crowd the six yard box with as many players as possible but as you say they’re then just doing standing jumps. Needs more people running from the edge of the penalty area so they have the momentum to get up and really attack the ball.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 14:36]
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:42 - Feb 13 with 1221 viewscbower

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:33 - Feb 13 by JDB23

Yes that was something I noticed yesterday too, absolutely static in the box and so if a delivery somehow does end up on one of our players head’s, it’s all the harder to get the power and trajectory on the ball to score. Not sure if we’ve been like that consistently this season or if it’s something new.

No, we have been quite static in the box pretty much since MM left imo. Nsiala
(I know he has left btw) played 50+ times for itfc and he scored one (maybe) going forward for practically every set piece. Woolf has 2 career goals. Edmundson has a few this season. Hark back to Berra, Smith and even Chambers. They were good for 8 or 9 between them in a season because they attacked the ball with real intent.

bluescouser

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:52 - Feb 13 with 1169 viewsChrisd

Set pieces are so important especially in games where the game is tight or not playing well it can get you out of a hole, they can make a big difference. We really do need to improve in this area of our game. Really feel we are missing a trick here.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 15:25]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:53 - Feb 13 with 1165 viewsFrimleyBlue

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:42 - Feb 13 by cbower

No, we have been quite static in the box pretty much since MM left imo. Nsiala
(I know he has left btw) played 50+ times for itfc and he scored one (maybe) going forward for practically every set piece. Woolf has 2 career goals. Edmundson has a few this season. Hark back to Berra, Smith and even Chambers. They were good for 8 or 9 between them in a season because they attacked the ball with real intent.

Have we ever been prolific from set pieces?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:59 - Feb 13 with 1145 viewsnorfsufblue

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 14:53 - Feb 13 by FrimleyBlue

Lets be honest.....MMs teams were highly reliant on taking advantage of set pieces and to be fair we had the personal to do this... Tommy Smith was often my selection for first goalscorer as always thought he was a threat
19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 15:06 - Feb 13 with 1110 viewscbower

Not asking for prolific, just the return of a tingle of anticipation when we get a corner or free kick would be nice. Under Lambert and Cook I was more worried we would get caught on the counter attack. Not so much now but still find it hard to have the belief we might score. Much scope for improved movement imho. That comes from coaching.

bluescouser

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 15:23 - Feb 13 with 1062 viewsVic

Mariner/Whymark. Kugi/Counago. Berra/Smith

Not a lot apart from them - and some were a looooong time ago.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 16:00 - Feb 13 with 988 viewsjayessess

It'd be nice to get back to average, tbf. 3% of corners result in a goal, so you'd expect to score one every 30 or so.

I think the last corner we scored from was at Plymouth. Since then we've had 17 games. We get about 5 corners a game, so you'd expect to score one every 7 games or so.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 16:13 - Feb 13 with 937 viewsNthsuffolkblue

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 16:00 - Feb 13 by jayessess

It'd be nice to get back to average, tbf. 3% of corners result in a goal, so you'd expect to score one every 30 or so.

I think the last corner we scored from was at Plymouth. Since then we've had 17 games. We get about 5 corners a game, so you'd expect to score one every 7 games or so.

This site would suggest less than 1.5% corners result in a goal directly scored from them.
https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/

We do seem to have been poor from set pieces generally for a long time. At least we don't seem to concede from them as freely as we once did, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 16:39 - Feb 13 with 884 viewsjayessess

19 set pieces goals for Rotherham!!!!! on 16:13 - Feb 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

This site would suggest less than 1.5% corners result in a goal directly scored from them.
https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/

We do seem to have been poor from set pieces generally for a long time. At least we don't seem to concede from them as freely as we once did, though.

Think the higher figure includes goals that resulted from a corner but weren't from the first touch (like Edmundson's at Plymouth). That site actually has all goals resulting from a corner at 4.74%, which means we're even more off it - should've scored something like 4 since Edmundson's one!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024