Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? 09:30 - May 11 with 1769 viewsSTYG

For those that haven't followed Wrexham's fortunes, at the start of the season they convinced the top striker in League Two, Paul Mullin, to leave Cambridge ahead of their League One return and drop down to the Conference. Arguably a bigger club and definitely a lot better for him financially.

Just after we played Cheltenham they signed Tozer, who I think was their captain. Again, he dropped down two divisions and his defensive ability and long throws have been massive for them.

In January they paid £300k, an insane sum in the Conference, for Ollie Palmer from Wimbledon. 14 goals in 17 games I think.

All three of them were absolute, cast iron certainties to be head and shoulders above other players in those divisions. Never a doubt in my mind they'd all be hugely successful.

We won't be getting many to drop down two divisions, but who are the ones we could realistic get? The Luton, Millwall, Coventry and Hull players that would definitely shine in League One and who would also be likely to be tempted here.

The one that stands out for me early is Dominic Ball of QPR. Think he's been released. 100 games in 3 seasons in League One and would be great in that sitting role behind Morsy. As well as central midfield, he can play centre back and full back, so also ticks the versatility box as well. 26, so the right blend of having some good years in him and not being a rookie. We'd pay similar to QPR, it's not far to move and we play in front of twice as many as QPR.

All these players will have options but he's the sort we could lure I'd imagine in terms of wages.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:31]
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:41 - May 11 with 1671 viewsElderGrizzly

Arguably we already have. Walton, Morsy, Chaplin, Celina, Edmundson are the equivalent in our team already.

It's much more difficult for us in terms of wages of course, given the salary limits in L1.

We should certainly be looking at Barnsley, Peterborough etc and those in L1 who didn't go up like Oxford and Plymouth.
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:43 - May 11 with 1662 viewsSouperJim

We're clearly capable of recruiting players who belong at a higher level, see Morsy, Celina etc... however I would imagine leaving Cambridge or Cheltenham to play for Wrexham feels like less of a drop than would say leaving Southampton or Everton to play for us at the moment.

Also I note Wrexham are top of the National League on goal difference with one game to go, but Stockport in 2nd have a game in hand on them. So despite their relative wealth and squad strength, theres still every chance they'll end up in the playoffs.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:47]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:46 - May 11 with 1634 viewsSTYG

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:43 - May 11 by SouperJim

We're clearly capable of recruiting players who belong at a higher level, see Morsy, Celina etc... however I would imagine leaving Cambridge or Cheltenham to play for Wrexham feels like less of a drop than would say leaving Southampton or Everton to play for us at the moment.

Also I note Wrexham are top of the National League on goal difference with one game to go, but Stockport in 2nd have a game in hand on them. So despite their relative wealth and squad strength, theres still every chance they'll end up in the playoffs.

We aren't getting Everton players clearly.

But when you look at Walton (Brighton - backup), Morsy (Boro), Chaplin (Barnsley) and Celina, then absolutely there will be players at middle Championship clubs, like Millwall, QPR, Blackburn, Preston who get half the crowds we do and pay similar wages. Likewise Ligue 2 and Eerstedivisie but not expecting too many here to name them!

Maybe 2/3 of those players won't want to drop down but as Joe pointed out the other week, we can offer £8k and a 3 year deal with a wage rise in League One, instead of those clubs offering £8 a week full stop. They may also have a chance of playing more often here. That puts us in a good place to get more players like Walton and Morsy that are as close to guaranteed and consistent quality as we can get.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:48]
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:50 - May 11 with 1592 viewsSouperJim

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:46 - May 11 by STYG

We aren't getting Everton players clearly.

But when you look at Walton (Brighton - backup), Morsy (Boro), Chaplin (Barnsley) and Celina, then absolutely there will be players at middle Championship clubs, like Millwall, QPR, Blackburn, Preston who get half the crowds we do and pay similar wages. Likewise Ligue 2 and Eerstedivisie but not expecting too many here to name them!

Maybe 2/3 of those players won't want to drop down but as Joe pointed out the other week, we can offer £8k and a 3 year deal with a wage rise in League One, instead of those clubs offering £8 a week full stop. They may also have a chance of playing more often here. That puts us in a good place to get more players like Walton and Morsy that are as close to guaranteed and consistent quality as we can get.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:48]

Yes I take your point, I was just being anal about us being able to attract players who drop down 1 division, but not 2 like Wrexham have.

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:51 - May 11 with 1575 viewsSTYG

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:50 - May 11 by SouperJim

Yes I take your point, I was just being anal about us being able to attract players who drop down 1 division, but not 2 like Wrexham have.

Knowing someone would be as pedantic as I would have been, I also covered that in my initial post ;)

So you're saying Origi won't be coming?
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:57 - May 11 with 1549 viewsSouperJim

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:51 - May 11 by STYG

Knowing someone would be as pedantic as I would have been, I also covered that in my initial post ;)

So you're saying Origi won't be coming?

I see your pedantry and I raise you a "We won't be getting *many* to drop down two divisions". You need to drop the M there.

Origi no. Mane...
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:57]

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:59 - May 11 with 1529 viewsElderGrizzly

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:50 - May 11 by SouperJim

The only players we'll likely see drop 2 divisions are those younger players like Thompson.

I'm sure we will have 2 or 3 loans from the PL, but they will be very much on the start of their career and we'll lose them after a season.

Wages at the bottom end of L1 are not very high relatively, so easier for Wrexham to 'poach' the better players. Apparently for what we pay Morsy, you could have half the Cambridge first XI
[Post edited 11 May 2022 10:02]
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:00 - May 11 with 1524 viewsKeno

Ronaldo, Pogba and Maguire

actually they can keep Maguire we have better

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:06 - May 11 with 1486 viewsSTYG

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 09:57 - May 11 by SouperJim

I see your pedantry and I raise you a "We won't be getting *many* to drop down two divisions". You need to drop the M there.

Origi no. Mane...
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:57]

I see your pedantry but raise you Walton as the reason why I said many and not any, as we technically got him to drop down two divisions and, on a technicality, we convinced Barry and Thompson to drop down two divisions on loan muh ha ha.

So let's see where you go from here pedant! ;)
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:16 - May 11 with 1448 viewsITFC_RDM

Wrexham have the same sort of pull as we do. They are way below the level they should be & are a much bigger club than a lot in the league above, and even some in the league above that.
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:35 - May 11 with 1397 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s also a lot easier to use financial muscle to convince players that are earning relatively low sums from clubs like Cheltenham and Cambridge to drop down, than those on larger salaries in the top two divisions. Obviously it still isn’t impossible as we’ve seen, but it isn’t going to be players that are the best players at their clubs or division top scorers as those players will already be well paid and have eyes upwards rather than on dropping down a division

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:39 - May 11 with 1369 viewswkj

If only they signed Tozer and his stupid fecking towel sooner.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:40 - May 11 with 1369 viewsITFC_RDM

Stockport also made very similar signings. taking players from L1 & 2, Inc Bolton's Captain.
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:41 - May 11 with 1352 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not a good comparison as there is little difference between non league and league 4. If anything there are wealthier, better run clubs in non league. Bear in mind that Cambridge were relegation favourites and Wrexham were nailed on promotion certainties - and neither scenario followed the script. Wrexham offer the chance of meeting Ryan Reynolds’ Mrs which is probably worth dropping 4 divisions for - and a starring role on tele

Not sure why you’re wedded to players dropping down for a pay cheque. Much better to go for a couple more Mr Burns

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:43 - May 11 with 1343 viewsKeno

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 10:39 - May 11 by wkj

If only they signed Tozer and his stupid fecking towel sooner.

"fecking towel"

is this the news Mumsnet penis mug?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 12:23 - May 11 with 1185 viewsSharkey

Stockport too have a huge budget for the National League. Fleetwood didn't want to sell Madden to them, but what could they do?
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 12:36 - May 11 with 1131 viewsNorrisHatter

Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 12:23 - May 11 by Sharkey

Stockport too have a huge budget for the National League. Fleetwood didn't want to sell Madden to them, but what could they do?

County drew at Bolton and then hammered them at home in the replay despite giving them a two goal start, then ran Rotherham mighty close on their own patch in the next round. The standard is really good "down here". We were hammered at Wrexham on Sunday - they should be promoted alongside us this season based on quality.

Both sides likely to be at the top end of League 2 next season if they come up (one of them will for definite); its interesting to see that the teams that come up from the NL stay up, whereas those that come down stay down for quite a while - especially when they recruit ex Ipswich managers!

So don't just look up for players, consider lower placed sides too. Ryan Rydel might be a good shout for that problematic left side at PR. Outstanding for us this season, and just easing back in after a lengthy injury.
Who are our Mullin, Palmer and Tozer? on 12:44 - May 11 with 1113 viewsGlasgowBlue

We have Mullet, Harry Palmer and Dolly if that’s any help.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024