Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not as good as we thought we were 16:29 - Sep 25 with 2147 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not as bad as some making out.

Burgess is a big miss. I’d bring Keogh in for Edmunson against Pompey.

I think the last two games KM has tried to be a little more clever than he actually is. The game was crying out fir a more defensive shape with a Plymouth taking a lot of long range efforts. Ball or KVY in the team could have closed a lot of that down.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Not as good as we thought we were on 18:29 - Sep 25 with 1995 viewsHighgateBlue

We've beaten one top half side, and that is mighty Shrewsbury.

Despite the fact that we have been riding high in League One before collapsing, people were totally blind to the fact that our form really was not conclusive of us being one of the best couple of teams in the division. I totally get that you can only beat what's in front of you, but you need evidence before concluding how good a side is, and evidence in the form of results. Our form against teams who are currently in the top half is 6 points from 5 games.

We are now third on points per game. We have no god given right to go up automatically (we've only done it once in half a century after all).

And the unfortunate thing about the playoffs is that you /generally/ get drawn against other teams in the top six. Who we seem unable to beat. So yes, not as good as many thought we were.

You'd look at the league table, and given the turbulence and general disappointment of the last few years, you'd take the start we've had. But at the moment there's just not enough evidence to say we're better than a playoff side.

The 2nd Wednesday goal decision was a joke, I accept that. But blaming the ref today was desperate, and simply constitutes denial. We need to be able to close games out against the better teams.

There is much to like about McKenna and his side, but a reality check was definitely needed for many.

Portsmouth at home next in front of a packed house, against a side with a smaller budget. A win would mean 4 points from those three tough games. Anything less, and there is cause for concern. I'm not going to put it higher than that - the sky is not falling in.
Not as good as we thought we were on 18:51 - Sep 25 with 1954 viewsSwansea_Blue

FFS, don’t you start as well -
We’re just not as good as we think we are by Bobsthename 25 Sep 2022 14:16
Plain to see i never thought we would beat Plymouth away to be honest we struggle against most top 6 sides away from home.

A change of tense doesn’t make it a better argument .

There is no royal ‘we’ on this. We’ve seen all sorts of views on here. The smart money seems to be on us being in for a good shout of promotion, with question marks over whether we’re clinical enough (have enough quality in the final third). But with a lot of football to play.

Today doesn’t change that at all.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2022 18:51]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Not as good as we thought we were on 19:01 - Sep 25 with 1913 viewsXYZ

Not as good as we thought we were on 18:51 - Sep 25 by Swansea_Blue

Plain to see i never thought we would beat Plymouth away to be honest we struggle against most top 6 sides away from home.

There is no royal ‘we’ on this. We’ve seen all sorts of views on here. The smart money seems to be on us being in for a good shout of promotion, with question marks over whether we’re clinical enough (have enough quality in the final third). But with a lot of football to play.

TWTD at its blubtastic best today!

Toys flying out of prams.
Not as good as we thought we were on 20:59 - Sep 25 with 1699 viewschicoazul

Not as good as we thought we were on 18:29 - Sep 25 by HighgateBlue

We've beaten one top half side, and that is mighty Shrewsbury.

Despite the fact that we have been riding high in League One before collapsing, people were totally blind to the fact that our form really was not conclusive of us being one of the best couple of teams in the division. I totally get that you can only beat what's in front of you, but you need evidence before concluding how good a side is, and evidence in the form of results. Our form against teams who are currently in the top half is 6 points from 5 games.

We are now third on points per game. We have no god given right to go up automatically (we've only done it once in half a century after all).

And the unfortunate thing about the playoffs is that you /generally/ get drawn against other teams in the top six. Who we seem unable to beat. So yes, not as good as many thought we were.

You'd look at the league table, and given the turbulence and general disappointment of the last few years, you'd take the start we've had. But at the moment there's just not enough evidence to say we're better than a playoff side.

The 2nd Wednesday goal decision was a joke, I accept that. But blaming the ref today was desperate, and simply constitutes denial. We need to be able to close games out against the better teams.

There is much to like about McKenna and his side, but a reality check was definitely needed for many.

Portsmouth at home next in front of a packed house, against a side with a smaller budget. A win would mean 4 points from those three tough games. Anything less, and there is cause for concern. I'm not going to put it higher than that - the sky is not falling in.

Very few people seem to have noticed we have the exact same problem now that we have had for the last three seasons; we are flat track bullies.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not as good as we thought we were on 21:13 - Sep 25 with 1660 viewsmrfixit426

Not as good as we thought we were on 20:59 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

Very few people seem to have noticed we have the exact same problem now that we have had for the last three seasons; we are flat track bullies.

I have to say, this is one of the most ill informed, simplified and factually incorrect statements I have seen on this forum in a very long time.

If there is one thing this club has struggled with over the last few seasons, it's being a flat track bully. I'm happy to be beating the sides at the bottom of the table for once.

Added to that, we have been better than most of the sides in and around us, for the majority of the games we've played. We've lost goals in 'moments' that could have gone either way, and not scored in others. The margins are fine, but we've not been outplayed yet.
Not as good as we thought we were on 21:42 - Sep 25 with 1587 viewsChrisd

Not as good as we thought we were on 21:13 - Sep 25 by mrfixit426

I have to say, this is one of the most ill informed, simplified and factually incorrect statements I have seen on this forum in a very long time.

If there is one thing this club has struggled with over the last few seasons, it's being a flat track bully. I'm happy to be beating the sides at the bottom of the table for once.

Added to that, we have been better than most of the sides in and around us, for the majority of the games we've played. We've lost goals in 'moments' that could have gone either way, and not scored in others. The margins are fine, but we've not been outplayed yet.

We got out played, out fought and out thought in the final 25mins today. There only looked one winner once Plymouth got their equaliser and things had been brewing before then. Plymouth looked a very decent side, Portsmouth is now a huge game for us and I would say an even bigger test than what we had on our hands this afternoon.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Not as good as we thought we were on 21:55 - Sep 25 with 1551 viewsmrfixit426

Not as good as we thought we were on 21:42 - Sep 25 by Chrisd

We got out played, out fought and out thought in the final 25mins today. There only looked one winner once Plymouth got their equaliser and things had been brewing before then. Plymouth looked a very decent side, Portsmouth is now a huge game for us and I would say an even bigger test than what we had on our hands this afternoon.

They didn't batter us in the last 25 minutes. There was a crazy ten minute spell when they turned the screw, but we came back at them. Like I said, for the majority of the game we were better. I was watching it with a friend who is a Lincoln fan, and he said just before they equalised that Plymouth were there for the taking. And they were.

Jackson pulls his cross back to the penalty spot for an onrushing Morsy, TJJ getting his head up instead of shooting, and Harness hitting that last opportunity for him first time, it's a different result. Moments.
Not as good as we thought we were on 21:57 - Sep 25 with 1547 viewsPioneerBlue

I wouldn’t quite put it has you have!

I don’t see KMcK making snap changes that make it look like he’s lost faith with players however Keogh (Edmundson not comfortable on the left) and or Ball (Evans has started well but dropped off a bit) could be introduced to help steady at a time when we have been overturned from winning positions twice in two games.

Burns should be back, this will help balance.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 6:11]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Login to get fewer ads

Not as good as we thought we were on 22:26 - Sep 25 with 1461 viewsChrisd

Not as good as we thought we were on 21:55 - Sep 25 by mrfixit426

They didn't batter us in the last 25 minutes. There was a crazy ten minute spell when they turned the screw, but we came back at them. Like I said, for the majority of the game we were better. I was watching it with a friend who is a Lincoln fan, and he said just before they equalised that Plymouth were there for the taking. And they were.

Jackson pulls his cross back to the penalty spot for an onrushing Morsy, TJJ getting his head up instead of shooting, and Harness hitting that last opportunity for him first time, it's a different result. Moments.

You might have been watching it with a Lincoln fan, but I saw it differently. We simply didn’t cause them any problems once they equalised. Apart from Walton’s header, Cooper had nothing to do, we didn’t test him enough. I agree they didn’t batter us, but they were clearly on top in that final quarter of the match, there was a clear shift in momentum when Lapado went off and when they brought on Cosgrove. They were in the ascendency and we just looked like we were trying to contain what we had, rather than causing them any real problems. In a way, it did remind me a little bit of last season, if we went behind we’d struggle to get back into it and so it proved.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Not as good as we thought we were on 22:37 - Sep 25 with 1407 viewsbournemouthblue

I'm surprised Ball hasn't been given a run out yet, he can mix it in there and Plymouth are a fairly rugged side

Losing Leigh for games like this isn't ideal, even though Davis played very well

You could actually put a left sided full back on Mumba given he is clearly right footed

Plymouth look a good side, they are good at what they do, you can see why they have been a handful for everyone they have played so far

I thought the standard of the game was way above League One standards, it was very exciting, albeit we were on the wrong end of a tight game

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Not as good as we thought we were on 22:46 - Sep 25 with 1362 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not as good as we thought we were on 18:51 - Sep 25 by Swansea_Blue

I think it’s a fair assessment of where we are. At 4.45pm last Saturday I thought we were light years ahead of the rest of the league. The last two results have shown that we are just one of 6 very good sides who have a realistic chance of promotion. Hopefully by finishing in the top two. If not the by the play offs.

So those two results have brought me down to earth a wee bit.

At the same time, we are no where near as bad as sone are making out. Individual errors and a bit of naivety on KM’s part has seen us drop 5 points from winning positions. We are seeing games out against the weaker teams but failing to do so against the so called better teams. That can be worked on, and I have every faith that we have the management and okaying staff to correct our failings.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Not as good as we thought we were on 22:54 - Sep 25 with 1338 viewsbournemouthblue

Not as good as we thought we were on 22:46 - Sep 25 by GlasgowBlue

I think it’s a fair assessment of where we are. At 4.45pm last Saturday I thought we were light years ahead of the rest of the league. The last two results have shown that we are just one of 6 very good sides who have a realistic chance of promotion. Hopefully by finishing in the top two. If not the by the play offs.

So those two results have brought me down to earth a wee bit.

At the same time, we are no where near as bad as sone are making out. Individual errors and a bit of naivety on KM’s part has seen us drop 5 points from winning positions. We are seeing games out against the weaker teams but failing to do so against the so called better teams. That can be worked on, and I have every faith that we have the management and okaying staff to correct our failings.

We're a poor offside away from winning at Sheffield Wednesday so I won't be too harsh on us there

Plymouth were better than us once they equalised but we again missed some good opportunities to put daylight between us and Plymouth

Both are fairly rugged athletic sides with crowds which will get behind them

They are two teams I would expect us to have more trouble with because of their combative nature, Wednesday in particular are what I consider our kryptonite

I don't think you can underestimate the travel for both games too

I'm sure we'll put in a good account of ourselves in the reverse fixtures, it's still early days

We are second, we have lost to the team in 3rd who are on a hot run of form, it's not the end of the world

We'll learn from this and need to move on
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 0:05]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Not as good as we thought we were on 23:00 - Sep 25 with 1324 viewsJimmyJazz

Not as good as we thought we were on 22:26 - Sep 25 by Chrisd

You might have been watching it with a Lincoln fan, but I saw it differently. We simply didn’t cause them any problems once they equalised. Apart from Walton’s header, Cooper had nothing to do, we didn’t test him enough. I agree they didn’t batter us, but they were clearly on top in that final quarter of the match, there was a clear shift in momentum when Lapado went off and when they brought on Cosgrove. They were in the ascendency and we just looked like we were trying to contain what we had, rather than causing them any real problems. In a way, it did remind me a little bit of last season, if we went behind we’d struggle to get back into it and so it proved.

Cosgrove is terrible, didn't he spend most of the time he was on either offside or lying on the ground

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Not as good as we thought we were on 23:41 - Sep 25 with 1241 viewschicoazul

“Look at all the goals we didn’t score”

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not as good as we thought we were on 00:56 - Sep 26 with 1123 viewspointofblue

Considering the amount we are spending on this squad the minimal expectation is surely not to be outplayed in any game?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Not as good as we thought we were on 01:12 - Sep 26 with 1110 viewsWestcountryblue

KVY was horrendous yesterday. Looked miles off the pace and technically suspect.
Not as good as we thought we were on 08:08 - Sep 26 with 808 viewsOatkins

We are a very good side and nailed on for top 6. Top 6 is a certainty.

A very good chance of a top 2 finish too.

There is no way this team under Mckenna finishes any lower at worst than 3rd.
Not as good as we thought we were on 08:19 - Sep 26 with 760 viewsitfcjoe

We are a top 4-5 side who is looking to get over the line and will be right up there or thereabouts.

Football such a fine margin sport, because it is so low scoring that missed chances and goals are key - we deserved a point yeterday, no other teams will go there and have 15 shots inside the box. Plymouth goals both very good goals from outside of the box and more often than not they don't go in.

I think whatever the outcome of game yesterday - it would have been justified - we just needed to score when we were so on top between half time and their equaliser as they were looking ragged

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not as good as we thought we were on 08:39 - Sep 26 with 681 viewsbobbyramsey

We don't score the goals that our superior possession, skill and dominance deserves. When we are on top we huff and we puff for little return, we are very good on the eye until we get around their box, then we seem to get dizzy. Pretty ineffective come the crunch. Still think we're lacking something "up top."
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 9:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024