Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A very important favour please TWTD 22:27 - Oct 28 with 3747 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sign this petition if you could. Will take 2 minutes.

In short, the Citizens Advice Bureau have been told they’re likely having all funding stopped. This £100k+ hit would effectively force it to close. It’s the only thing in Romford that even resembles help for local people in times of need. A girl I work with just last week needed help and contacted them.

Whether it be sorting out food vouchers, helping with domestic disputes, or something as simple as helping someone know what they are entitled to by law with benefits or maternity leave for example, Romford would really feel the impact if it is closed down simply to save money. The people of Romford deserve better and the people of Romford cannot have their last ally in a time of need be shut down.

Please sign. You’ll probably have to confirm on your email the signature for it to go through. Thankyou,

https://t.co/jiTAAbA3Tz
[Post edited 28 Oct 2022 22:27]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

A very important favour please TWTD on 22:29 - Oct 28 with 3086 viewsLord_Lucan

Citizens Advice is a bloody joke and for a good few years in Ipswich it pretty much hasn't existed

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A very important favour please TWTD on 22:32 - Oct 28 with 3046 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A very important favour please TWTD on 22:29 - Oct 28 by Lord_Lucan

Citizens Advice is a bloody joke and for a good few years in Ipswich it pretty much hasn't existed

In some areas such as Romford it is quite important. The people there have literally saved people from starvation, homelessness, unemployment, violent loan sharks, severe crippling debt, domestic abuse and other scary situations that most of us wish to never be in. Imagine being in that situation and then the final bit of help are also shut down too after the local council have happily turned a blind eye to these problems.

A very important favour please TWTD on 22:54 - Oct 28 with 2970 viewsLord_Lucan

A very important favour please TWTD on 22:32 - Oct 28 by The_Romford_Blue

In some areas such as Romford it is quite important. The people there have literally saved people from starvation, homelessness, unemployment, violent loan sharks, severe crippling debt, domestic abuse and other scary situations that most of us wish to never be in. Imagine being in that situation and then the final bit of help are also shut down too after the local council have happily turned a blind eye to these problems.

I don't disagree.

It's a disgrace - but Romford is no different from Ipswich or anywhere else, many people are up sh1t creek without a paddle.

I really worry about people. I'm lucky, I don't have to worry about bills but I did in the past so I feel the pain.

I went bankrupt in the 90's and lost my house, I know what it's like and I genuinely worry about people, I try to remind my family how lucky we are but we all get it, we understand it - although understanding it is a world away from being in the sh1t.

I'd like to do more to help, we have a charity thing going on through the business but it isn't a game changer.

I think we will get more activated in the new year as I would like to do more.

BlueLagos is the man, I don't really know him but he is always putting himself about and I doff my hat to him.

Of course none of this helps with the situation you raise in your post. If you want to lobby then talk with one of the big brewerys in Romford.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2022 23:54]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

A very important favour please TWTD on 23:01 - Oct 28 with 2945 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A very important favour please TWTD on 22:54 - Oct 28 by Lord_Lucan

I don't disagree.

It's a disgrace - but Romford is no different from Ipswich or anywhere else, many people are up sh1t creek without a paddle.

I really worry about people. I'm lucky, I don't have to worry about bills but I did in the past so I feel the pain.

I went bankrupt in the 90's and lost my house, I know what it's like and I genuinely worry about people, I try to remind my family how lucky we are but we all get it, we understand it - although understanding it is a world away from being in the sh1t.

I'd like to do more to help, we have a charity thing going on through the business but it isn't a game changer.

BlueLagos is the man, I don't really know him but he is always putting himself about and I doff my hat to him.

Of course none of this helps with the situation you raise in your post. If you want to lobby then talk with one of the big brewerys in Romford.

Plenty of food for thought. It’s a scary world out there.

Sickening that the decision the council have made round here in the last 2 years and then for them to try to stop the only people who are fighting these decisions to effectively silence their critics with this move.. is disgraceful.

A very important favour please TWTD on 23:44 - Oct 28 with 2836 viewsWeWereZombies

Petition signed, well done for giving us the heads up on this one.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

A very important favour please TWTD on 23:56 - Oct 28 with 2781 viewsChurchman

Signed.
A couple of people I knew worked for them a while and through work a long time ago, I had dealings with them so know a little of the work they do. Organisations like this need supporting and developing, not closing in my view.
A very important favour please TWTD on 02:42 - Oct 29 with 2659 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

signed. My daughter did voluntary work for CAB, they do great work. Hope it works.

Poll: would you rather

A very important favour please TWTD on 05:38 - Oct 29 with 2590 viewsbluelagos

I don't disagree.

Wake up at silly o'clock, decide to check Twtd (travel and team news for today), flick through a few threads and stumble on your comments.

Humbling, but thanks.

if you ever need an independent and trusty set of eyes for your company charity be more than pleased to offer some time. Sure I'll have some opinions on where and how you could spend some of your hard earned wedge and how to get the most bang for your buck :-)

Cheers
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 7:23]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

A very important favour please TWTD on 06:00 - Oct 29 with 2537 viewsbluelagos

A very important favour please TWTD on 23:01 - Oct 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Plenty of food for thought. It’s a scary world out there.

Sickening that the decision the council have made round here in the last 2 years and then for them to try to stop the only people who are fighting these decisions to effectively silence their critics with this move.. is disgraceful.

Signed and shared on twitter.

The underlying issue Rommers is council funding. Of course the CAB do important work, but so to do the police, social services, bin men etc. The council have to cut services but where do they cut? An impossible question/task.

Few parts of what councils fund aren't necessary and the bad news, it's going to get worse with the cuts around the corner, austerity 2.0.

As well as what you are doing (which is great) I'd make sure your MP knows you are unhappy. A short letter, making clear you are a voter in his constituency. And encourage your local friends and famiky do the same.

I'd also engage with the local rag. Any sort of campaign to protect local services is bound to get some coverage. Are the CAB volunteers organising a protest? They'll mainly be old duffers so doubt they'll go full on XR style but a few posters in front of the building should make the local rag / social media.

The other thing is for someone to try and document what is being lost. You need to get one or two people to give testamount to how the CAB helped them. Real people, real stories, get them recorded, blogged and again your press will be far more likely to cover the story.

Basically just make as much noise as you can and embarrass your local MP as much as you can. He'll be sh1tting it as he's likely to be unemployed in 2 years time so he could be an ally in your campaign.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 6:10]

A very important favour please TWTD on 06:20 - Oct 29 with 2506 viewsjeera

A very important favour please TWTD on 06:00 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Signed and shared on twitter.

The underlying issue Rommers is council funding. Of course the CAB do important work, but so to do the police, social services, bin men etc. The council have to cut services but where do they cut? An impossible question/task.

Few parts of what councils fund aren't necessary and the bad news, it's going to get worse with the cuts around the corner, austerity 2.0.

As well as what you are doing (which is great) I'd make sure your MP knows you are unhappy. A short letter, making clear you are a voter in his constituency. And encourage your local friends and famiky do the same.

I'd also engage with the local rag. Any sort of campaign to protect local services is bound to get some coverage. Are the CAB volunteers organising a protest? They'll mainly be old duffers so doubt they'll go full on XR style but a few posters in front of the building should make the local rag / social media.

The other thing is for someone to try and document what is being lost. You need to get one or two people to give testamount to how the CAB helped them. Real people, real stories, get them recorded, blogged and again your press will be far more likely to cover the story.

Basically just make as much noise as you can and embarrass your local MP as much as you can. He'll be sh1tting it as he's likely to be unemployed in 2 years time so he could be an ally in your campaign.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 6:10]

Signed this last night myself.

What with local legal advice centres already having funding pulled in the early years of 'austerity ', (cuts to public services), in many places there's only been the CAB left.

Without them the most vulnerable in society would literally have no one left to advise them, leaving them even more at the mercy of organisations who take advantage, among the worst culprits being local councils themselves.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A very important favour please TWTD on 06:59 - Oct 29 with 2458 viewsElephantintheRoom

I sympathise - but this is a national problem that has but one answer - proportional representation. Councils have had their budgets cut for decades and this process has accelerated with austerity - and is now set to become far worse under an incompetent and extremist government which has a mandate from 44% of voters.

Your best bet is to start campaigning to rejoin the single market. Then with ‘growth’ comes the ability to fund infrastructure, services - and indeed citizens advice.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A very important favour please TWTD on 07:24 - Oct 29 with 2389 viewsFixed_It

Done. Every little helps - hopefully. Good luck!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

A very important favour please TWTD on 07:49 - Oct 29 with 2342 viewsDJR

A very important favour please TWTD on 06:59 - Oct 29 by ElephantintheRoom

I sympathise - but this is a national problem that has but one answer - proportional representation. Councils have had their budgets cut for decades and this process has accelerated with austerity - and is now set to become far worse under an incompetent and extremist government which has a mandate from 44% of voters.

Your best bet is to start campaigning to rejoin the single market. Then with ‘growth’ comes the ability to fund infrastructure, services - and indeed citizens advice.

Proportional representation would still have produced the coalition in 2010, which with its addiction to austerity is the root cause of all our problems now.
A very important favour please TWTD on 07:51 - Oct 29 with 2334 viewsDJR

Signed.
A very important favour please TWTD on 07:58 - Oct 29 with 2319 viewsbluelagos

A very important favour please TWTD on 07:49 - Oct 29 by DJR

Proportional representation would still have produced the coalition in 2010, which with its addiction to austerity is the root cause of all our problems now.

Share of vote 2010.

Tories 36
Ukip/BNP 5

Lab 29
Libs 23
SNP 3

Suggests otherwise.

A very important favour please TWTD on 08:39 - Oct 29 with 2245 viewsDJR

A very important favour please TWTD on 07:58 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Share of vote 2010.

Tories 36
Ukip/BNP 5

Lab 29
Libs 23
SNP 3

Suggests otherwise.

But it wasn't down to share of the vote. The Lib Dems could have gone into coalition with Labour because there was a hung Parliament. But they chose not to partly because they thought Labour were discredited, partly because they felt they had to go into coalition with the largest party and partly because those Orange Bookers were as hooked on austerity as much as the Tories were. Proportional representation would have made no difference to these calculations.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 8:44]
A very important favour please TWTD on 09:01 - Oct 29 with 2203 viewsbluelagos

A very important favour please TWTD on 08:39 - Oct 29 by DJR

But it wasn't down to share of the vote. The Lib Dems could have gone into coalition with Labour because there was a hung Parliament. But they chose not to partly because they thought Labour were discredited, partly because they felt they had to go into coalition with the largest party and partly because those Orange Bookers were as hooked on austerity as much as the Tories were. Proportional representation would have made no difference to these calculations.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 8:44]

No, don't think the Lab/Libs/SNP had enough for a working majority.

Accept the Libs didn't have to go with the Tories, a simple vote on each policy would arguably have left them with influence without signing upto austerity.

But the wiff of power was strong and the rest is history.

Not sure why you dismiss the PR. The numbers would have been there. Not defending their actions, they had a choice and took it, much to their shame.

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:05 - Oct 29 with 2196 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I don't disagree.

I'm interested to know, and you can tell me to mind my own beeswax, but how did you come back from bankruptcy and losing your house? Like where did you even live, let alone have the means to start again and build back up?!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:14 - Oct 29 with 2176 viewsDJR

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:01 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

No, don't think the Lab/Libs/SNP had enough for a working majority.

Accept the Libs didn't have to go with the Tories, a simple vote on each policy would arguably have left them with influence without signing upto austerity.

But the wiff of power was strong and the rest is history.

Not sure why you dismiss the PR. The numbers would have been there. Not defending their actions, they had a choice and took it, much to their shame.

I don't dismiss PR as it would be nice to live in a constituency where my (non-Tory) vote counted, but I don't think it is a magic bullet. With it, I am inclined to think the Liberals/Social Democrats would have sided with the Tories in the 80s and early 90s probably because they thought Labour were too left wing. And from 2015 onwards, I think we would probably have ended up with a Tory/UKIP/DUP coalition.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 9:18]
A very important favour please TWTD on 09:19 - Oct 29 with 2168 viewsDanTheMan

Signed.

But remember, the best thing you can do to stop things like this happening is voting for parties that support public services.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:31 - Oct 29 with 2139 viewsDJR

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:19 - Oct 29 by DanTheMan

Signed.

But remember, the best thing you can do to stop things like this happening is voting for parties that support public services.

The thing I find really bizarre is the relatively high percentage of public sector works who vote Tory. The words "turkey" and "Christmas" come to mind.
A very important favour please TWTD on 09:38 - Oct 29 with 2114 viewsRadlett_blue

A very important favour please TWTD on 23:44 - Oct 28 by WeWereZombies

Petition signed, well done for giving us the heads up on this one.

Indeed. Some of my friends work in the Borehamwood CAB; my wife did but numbers had to be reduced.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:40 - Oct 29 with 2107 viewsRadlett_blue

I signed the petition, but my card was declined when I tried to make a donation.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:49 - Oct 29 with 2095 viewsLord_Lucan

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:05 - Oct 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm interested to know, and you can tell me to mind my own beeswax, but how did you come back from bankruptcy and losing your house? Like where did you even live, let alone have the means to start again and build back up?!

I have no secrets so have no problem in you asking.

I was importing live ornamental fish from Israel, Japan, Singapore etc etc but got into a bit of a pickle for a few reasons. Owed Barclays £30k and everything closed in, this was very early 90's so I would have been in my 20's.

I managed to rent a house and I started working peddling goods on the street. So, for example I would drive from town to town with puppets, Yo Yo's etc and sell them on the street. Chirpy the Dancing Chick was the first decent line I did and then I found what is called a Yo Yo balloon which I imported from Japan, they were a great line, cost me 5p and I sold them for £1 and would do a few hundred a day.

So, in summer holidays I would go down to Bournemouth and sell the Yo Yo Balloons in the daytime and at night there was usually something going on in Bournemouth or Poole where I would sell light up Yo Yo's, at one point sales on these were nuts as people were paying £20 for Yo Yo's with all the clutches but I was knocking them out for a fiver. If you could do all the tricks, which I could, you could really get an edge going.

I used to enjoy peddling although it was blooming cold in the winter and your feet would freeze by midday.

I was working Ballycastle once and was stood 2 yards from one of the biggest bombs ever planted - I was in the paper but I can't find it sadly. I did though take so much cash there in £1 coins that I couldn't carry it on the plane as it was too heavy - I also was targeted by a load of Provos who had come up from Belfast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1520556.stm

I was largely responsible for the implementation of The Bournemouth Act which is an act that prevents pedlars from working in Bournemouth. When I initially went there they kicked me out saying that there was a local law preventing pedlars - but I went down the library and discovered there wasn't so I went back and they arrested me. I eventually went to court and I won the case, it turned out to be a significant test case as move forward 5 years and all the Mancs had infiltrated the place so Bournemouth Council spent millions putting the Bournemouth Act through parliament.

Another good one was the See you Jimmy Hats (The tartan hats with face ginger hair). Anyway, I was working Villa Park when we hosted The Euros and all the pedlars were getting nicked for selling trademarked goods but I took a big bundle of cash selling those hats and the police couldn't do a thing - after that they were a staple thing for The Tartan Army but not until then. I did though take a Scottish friend with me to do the selling as they wouldn't have bought from an Englishman

They were crazy days man.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 10:24]

A very important favour please TWTD on 10:08 - Oct 29 with 2062 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A very important favour please TWTD on 09:49 - Oct 29 by Lord_Lucan

I have no secrets so have no problem in you asking.

I was importing live ornamental fish from Israel, Japan, Singapore etc etc but got into a bit of a pickle for a few reasons. Owed Barclays £30k and everything closed in, this was very early 90's so I would have been in my 20's.

I managed to rent a house and I started working peddling goods on the street. So, for example I would drive from town to town with puppets, Yo Yo's etc and sell them on the street. Chirpy the Dancing Chick was the first decent line I did and then I found what is called a Yo Yo balloon which I imported from Japan, they were a great line, cost me 5p and I sold them for £1 and would do a few hundred a day.

So, in summer holidays I would go down to Bournemouth and sell the Yo Yo Balloons in the daytime and at night there was usually something going on in Bournemouth or Poole where I would sell light up Yo Yo's, at one point sales on these were nuts as people were paying £20 for Yo Yo's with all the clutches but I was knocking them out for a fiver. If you could do all the tricks, which I could, you could really get an edge going.

I used to enjoy peddling although it was blooming cold in the winter and your feet would freeze by midday.

I was working Ballycastle once and was stood 2 yards from one of the biggest bombs ever planted - I was in the paper but I can't find it sadly. I did though take so much cash there in £1 coins that I couldn't carry it on the plane as it was too heavy - I also was targeted by a load of Provos who had come up from Belfast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1520556.stm

I was largely responsible for the implementation of The Bournemouth Act which is an act that prevents pedlars from working in Bournemouth. When I initially went there they kicked me out saying that there was a local law preventing pedlars - but I went down the library and discovered there wasn't so I went back and they arrested me. I eventually went to court and I won the case, it turned out to be a significant test case as move forward 5 years and all the Mancs had infiltrated the place so Bournemouth Council spent millions putting the Bournemouth Act through parliament.

Another good one was the See you Jimmy Hats (The tartan hats with face ginger hair). Anyway, I was working Villa Park when we hosted The Euros and all the pedlars were getting nicked for selling trademarked goods but I took a big bundle of cash selling those hats and the police couldn't do a thing - after that they were a staple thing for The Tartan Army but not until then. I did though take a Scottish friend with me to do the selling as they wouldn't have bought from an Englishman

They were crazy days man.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 10:24]

Wow, amazing story. The whole way through that I was picturing you as Del Boy.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024