Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barrow v Colchester tonight 19:59 - Nov 1 with 3003 viewsgtsb1966

650 mile round trip. Why don't the FL try and make these games on a Saturday and midweek games more local where they can. Clubs are on their knees as it is.
Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:02 - Nov 1 with 2666 viewsSitfcB

Rearranged game.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:03 - Nov 1 with 2661 viewsgtsb1966

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:02 - Nov 1 by SitfcB

Rearranged game.

Cheers. Didn't realise that.
Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:04 - Nov 1 with 2658 viewsITFC_Forever

Rearranged game.

But also, there was a train of thought in the EFL that small away followings for long distance away games are more than made up for by bigger Saturday travelling followings for short / medium trips at the weekend.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:11 - Nov 1 with 2605 viewsSitfcB

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:03 - Nov 1 by gtsb1966

Cheers. Didn't realise that.

All of the L1/2 games tonight are, from the weekend all the games were postponed I think, and like ITFC_Forever says the EFL did change it the other year so longer away trips were Tuesday nights and that’s why they were made available on IFollow/Sky red button.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 20:13]

COYB

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:18 - Nov 1 with 2561 viewsgtsb1966

2-0 down already and Sears only on the bench.
Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:18 - Nov 1 with 2560 viewsbluesym

Doesn't look like Col U have bothered to turn up anyway.....shame.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:20 - Nov 1 with 2546 viewsgainsboroughblue

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:18 - Nov 1 by bluesym

Doesn't look like Col U have bothered to turn up anyway.....shame.

Relegation written all over them.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:22 - Nov 1 with 2526 viewsSitfcB

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:20 - Nov 1 by gainsboroughblue

Relegation written all over them.

If they go down that’s them done I reckon, sad.

COYB

Login to get fewer ads

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:32 - Nov 1 with 2475 viewsIllinoisblue

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:18 - Nov 1 by gtsb1966

2-0 down already and Sears only on the bench.

They’re almost as bad as Rangers are in the Champions League

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:39 - Nov 1 with 2472 viewsgainsboroughblue

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:22 - Nov 1 by SitfcB

Last time they went out of the league, they spent two years being very big fish in that pond and it was never going to be long till they were back. With the professionalism at a lot of those clubs in the National League, you can see them struggling for sure.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:45 - Nov 1 with 2431 views66notout

It could be curtains for any side relegated from League Two this season. There are 15 ex-EFL clubs in the National League, proof that it’s a long way back. Not all managers are good enough to win promotion at the first time of asking, like Paul Hurst at Grimsby last season.
Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:53 - Nov 1 with 2388 viewsbluesym

3-0 Barrow. Whoops 😬

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 21:07 - Nov 1 with 2327 viewsParisBlue

The Myles Kenlock derby.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 21:10 - Nov 1 with 2312 viewsunstableblue

...battle as rock bottom of the English Football League

Sears on the bench

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 21:19 - Nov 1 with 2283 viewsAlanG296

Relegation will enable Chambers to extend his career playing football without having to move house. He should be up to playing Step 1 football.
Barrow v Colchester tonight on 06:14 - Nov 2 with 1966 viewsChrisd

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 20:39 - Nov 1 by gainsboroughblue

Last time they went out of the league, they spent two years being very big fish in that pond and it was never going to be long till they were back. With the professionalism at a lot of those clubs in the National League, you can see them struggling for sure.

Yes, very true. There’s some huge sides with a good historical pedigree in the National League now and there’s no guarantee that you get instant promotion back because you’re one of the big boys. Look at how long Notts County, Chesterfield and Wrexham have stayed in that league. Seems like Southend are now starting to find their feet after having a difficult first season last year.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 6:22]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 08:22 - Nov 2 with 1769 viewsGeoffSentence

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 21:10 - Nov 1 by unstableblue

...battle as rock bottom of the English Football League

Sears on the bench

I wonder when the last time Essex was without a league club was.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 08:26 - Nov 2 with 1765 viewsBloomBlue

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 08:22 - Nov 2 by GeoffSentence

West Ham ?
Barrow v Colchester tonight on 09:21 - Nov 2 with 1675 viewsitfcjoe

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 06:14 - Nov 2 by Chrisd

Yes, very true. There’s some huge sides with a good historical pedigree in the National League now and there’s no guarantee that you get instant promotion back because you’re one of the big boys. Look at how long Notts County, Chesterfield and Wrexham have stayed in that league. Seems like Southend are now starting to find their feet after having a difficult first season last year.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 6:22]

It's an absolute graveyard down there - some real big money clubs come through the league and with only one promotion spot and then a play off for 2nd it is such a hard league to get out of.

Look at how well Wrexham and Notts County are doing, and only one of them can get up in the auto even if they both get 90 points - crazy difficult and should really be 3 up-3 down by now.

I don't think a club promoted from National League has been relegated straight away in something like 10 years

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

London since 1965. (n/t) on 10:03 - Nov 2 with 1592 viewsBloots

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 08:26 - Nov 2 by BloomBlue

West Ham ?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 10:23 - Nov 2 with 1538 viewsSharkey

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 09:21 - Nov 2 by itfcjoe

It's an absolute graveyard down there - some real big money clubs come through the league and with only one promotion spot and then a play off for 2nd it is such a hard league to get out of.

Look at how well Wrexham and Notts County are doing, and only one of them can get up in the auto even if they both get 90 points - crazy difficult and should really be 3 up-3 down by now.

I don't think a club promoted from National League has been relegated straight away in something like 10 years

A more positive way of looking at it would be that Colchester would almost certainly have a more attractive fixture list (and in the short term at least, bigger crowds) than they do now, especially if either Braintree or Chelmsford (or both) come up from the NL South, and Southend don't get promotion.

More like twenty years, I think.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 10:26]
Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 12:02 - Nov 2 with 1422 viewsGeoffSentence

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 08:26 - Nov 2 by BloomBlue

West Ham ?

They are in London not Essex, you tease you.

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 12:18 - Nov 2 with 1384 viewsGeoffSentence

Chambo, Eastman, Judge, Nouble starting in what looks a bad loss, relegation... on 08:22 - Nov 2 by GeoffSentence

To answer my own question, I think 1914-1915 was the last league season when there was no Essex club in the league. It was only a two division structure then and there was no more league football played until 1919 when West Ham (then still in Essex) joined the second division.

By the time West Ham became a London club, Southend and Colchester United were established league teams.

On a side note, 1919 was also the year in which Leeds City were expelled from the league for financial irregularities (including paying players!) and Port Vale replaced them. The next time a team was expelled for financial problems was 100 years later, when Bury were kicked out.

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 12:31 - Nov 2 with 1341 viewsChrisd

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 09:21 - Nov 2 by itfcjoe

Going to put my neck on the line and I’m more than prepared to be shot down, but I don’t think any promoted National League side has come straight back down since promotion was introduced in 1987. However, Macclesfield might be the exception, seem to remember that was due to financial difficulties, but I could be wrong?!!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Barrow v Colchester tonight on 12:53 - Nov 2 with 1296 viewsBlueNomad

Maybe ITFC Women could take it over as their home ground and get bigger crowds than Col U do now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024