Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm losing faith in McKenna 17:12 - Jan 21 with 3881 viewspointofblue

I know this will get down votes. I'd probably down vote it myself given the chance. But I can't see what he's doing to change things, to improve matters, and to win games where the opposition is doing the same thing time and time again and we do not appear to have an answer.

We've splashed out on attacking players but can't finish. That is surely down to coaching? We seem to concede more often than not when a shot is on target and, again, we don't appear to have an answer.

We have one of the most expensive squads in the league and we're getting nowhere near enough out of them. Something needs to change, and fast. Since the Charlton debacle, the run of form hasn't be good enough to be competitive at the top. And, when a Plymouth side tied together with recent loanees and a Derby team which was a shambles in the summer, are showing quality and consitent, it does result in questions being asked.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:13 - Jan 21 with 3185 viewshomer_123

Done it for you.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:14 - Jan 21 with 3126 viewsPippin1970

It's a results business end of day . Problem is we easily we a Watford firing manager after manager till we get it right.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:15 - Jan 21 with 3086 viewsWeirdFishes

I'm not advocating him to go at all, I think he's great but this is more than poor form. It's 25% of a season and we've won 3 games.

Pressure is building on him, it's a real sliding doors moment for him now to turn this around as a few more poor performances/results...we know how cut-throat the ownership can be.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:15 - Jan 21 with 3064 viewsbilllm

Agree,he obviously can't motivate,
Charlton hurt us mentally,
I wouldn't bet on us in the playoffs if we get there,
We've been poor two months now,
Mentally week and no bottle,
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:15 - Jan 21 with 3052 viewsFrimleyBlue

Cor you went there.

I'm just waiting to see what these new lads do.

Broady looked handy
Hirst... Meh
Clarke. Couldn't see him.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:15 - Jan 21 with 3040 viewspointofblue

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:14 - Jan 21 by Pippin1970

It's a results business end of day . Problem is we easily we a Watford firing manager after manager till we get it right.

It actually worked for Watford and Chelsea for a time. Until it didn't.

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:18 - Jan 21 with 2925 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We can turn it around.

Just one point though.... we have by far the most expensive squad, not just one of the most expensive.

Some of those signings haven't had the chance to make an impact yet though.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 17:19]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:19 - Jan 21 with 2896 viewsHalifaxBlue

A coach can only put players in the position to score, he can't finish for them.

Honestly, performances haven't changed THAT much since we were flying. Its conversion and defending our own box that have been an issue. There are things a coach can do about those, yes. But is doesn't involve massively changing the system.

I'm not concerned about a lack of plan B, I don't think we require one yet. We are still battering teams. We just need to be more clinical and defend the box better.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Login to get fewer ads

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:20 - Jan 21 with 2826 viewsIpswich_Crazy

Then go and support Arsenal!

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:21 - Jan 21 with 2753 viewspointofblue

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:20 - Jan 21 by Ipswich_Crazy

Then go and support Arsenal!

I think Arsenal fans would feel less affection towards Arteta if they won only three of their next 11.

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:23 - Jan 21 with 2658 viewsITFCBlues

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:19 - Jan 21 by HalifaxBlue

A coach can only put players in the position to score, he can't finish for them.

Honestly, performances haven't changed THAT much since we were flying. Its conversion and defending our own box that have been an issue. There are things a coach can do about those, yes. But is doesn't involve massively changing the system.

I'm not concerned about a lack of plan B, I don't think we require one yet. We are still battering teams. We just need to be more clinical and defend the box better.

A coach can coach players to be better in front of goal though.

Is Lee Grant, an ex goalkeeper and now our first team coach likely to help with that?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:25 - Jan 21 with 2599 viewsChondzoresk

I am the most positive supporter. I still think we will go up, even if it’s via the play offs, however today made me raise my eyebrows. Very poor. I am sure KM will sort. However, the fan base will start asking serious questions if we are stuck in L1 this time next season.

Keep the faith!
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:26 - Jan 21 with 2570 viewshomer_123

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:21 - Jan 21 by pointofblue

I think Arsenal fans would feel less affection towards Arteta if they won only three of their next 11.

Arteta is actually a very interesting comparison for KM.

I'm not losing faith in McKenna... on 17:26 - Jan 21 with 2558 viewsScottCandage

But I'm wondering if Gamechanger feels the same.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:27 - Jan 21 with 2534 viewspointofblue

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:26 - Jan 21 by homer_123

To an extent. Man for man they do not have the best squad in the Premier League, though. He's getting more than the sum of it's parts out of it.

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:27 - Jan 21 with 2520 viewsITFCBlues

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:26 - Jan 21 by homer_123

It's not in anyway a comparison though is it?

Ones had to build a squad on a much smaller budget than alot of his competitors, the other has by far the most expensively assembled squad in the league.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:29 - Jan 21 with 2461 viewshomer_123

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:27 - Jan 21 by pointofblue

To an extent. Man for man they do not have the best squad in the Premier League, though. He's getting more than the sum of it's parts out of it.

My point being is that....if it were down to fans...he would not be the current Gunners manager.

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:31 - Jan 21 with 2385 viewsFunge

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:13 - Jan 21 by homer_123

Done it for you.

Countered that, as the OP was fairly reasonable.

We've won 3 games in the last 2 months; that's nowhere good enough for automatic.

We boss possession, which after the mess we were under Lambert and Cook certainly is more pleasant to watch.

However, we squander an absurd amount of chances, every game.

The opposition seem to score from the 1, or 2, chances they get, every game.

We defend appallingly.

McKenna needs to sort this out quickly - it needed sorting out before the Lincoln game - we seem thoroughly incapable of moulding games to our will.

This is a berserk expensive squad - along with Sunderland, probably the richest ever at this level - and we are under-performing, massively.

To go from top, in a 3-way race for the championship, to a distant 3rd, in 6 weeks, is very, very poor.

McKenna shouldn't be sacked, of course not - but another 6 weeks of this, and Ashton will be coming under immense pressure from the Americans...

Oh, and drop Harness, he's dreadful.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:32 - Jan 21 with 2381 viewsBigCommon

You have to remember that he's a rookie manager and cut him some slack.. He is, to some degree, still learning on the job.. We have to roll with it.
We've been well below it for the last month or so. but It's our first real dip in over a year. So it will taste sour. Bit early to start sticking the knife in, though, imo.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:35 - Jan 21 with 2239 viewshomer_123

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:31 - Jan 21 by Funge

Countered that, as the OP was fairly reasonable.

We've won 3 games in the last 2 months; that's nowhere good enough for automatic.

We boss possession, which after the mess we were under Lambert and Cook certainly is more pleasant to watch.

However, we squander an absurd amount of chances, every game.

The opposition seem to score from the 1, or 2, chances they get, every game.

We defend appallingly.

McKenna needs to sort this out quickly - it needed sorting out before the Lincoln game - we seem thoroughly incapable of moulding games to our will.

This is a berserk expensive squad - along with Sunderland, probably the richest ever at this level - and we are under-performing, massively.

To go from top, in a 3-way race for the championship, to a distant 3rd, in 6 weeks, is very, very poor.

McKenna shouldn't be sacked, of course not - but another 6 weeks of this, and Ashton will be coming under immense pressure from the Americans...

Oh, and drop Harness, he's dreadful.

It was more in jest as I think the OP realises.

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:37 - Jan 21 with 2194 viewsjas0999

I like him. But we can’t overlook the resource he has had and the very significant investment at this level. Even some Championship clubs are not spending this sort of money. The reality is we should be doing better than we are. If we don’t get promoted I do wonder what the board will do. Everyone said they would give Cook time and in the end they were ruthless. Different scenario I know.

We still have 19 games, but it’s looking an up hill task for automatic promotion now. Even if we improve and go on a 5 game winning run, it still relies on the two above slipping up, which seems very unlikely at this point.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:40 - Jan 21 with 2099 viewsVaughan8

But too early to be saying we've signed attacking players but still can't finish.

However, Hurst's stats aren't those of a finisher.

Not sure what this Broadheads stats are.

However, I'm not giving up yet.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:40 - Jan 21 with 2087 viewstimothyeo

KM is learning on the job. But the board knew that when he took him on, surely?

So we make up the difference by having, by some distance, the most expensively assembled squad in the division. To allow him to change things when played drop in form, to cope with the fact he might not know the best way to coach certain players, yet.

So yes, we are underperforming right now. This squad not getting automatic promotion would be almost criminal. But we must have known that risk when taking on McKenna.

For what it's worth it wasn't long ago fans were worried about a top Championship or low Prem side snapping him up. That was always nonsense for me. Even at our best he's only been meeting expectations.

So far there's nothing to suggest he can get more out of a side than the players individual quality. Something even a, I don't know, Nathan Jones, has shown he can do at a level above pretty consistently.
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:51 - Jan 21 with 1943 viewsStewart27

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:15 - Jan 21 by WeirdFishes

I'm not advocating him to go at all, I think he's great but this is more than poor form. It's 25% of a season and we've won 3 games.

Pressure is building on him, it's a real sliding doors moment for him now to turn this around as a few more poor performances/results...we know how cut-throat the ownership can be.

Sorry this is tosh. We’re all upset. But it is simply poor form.

Poor form over 4 games. We’re now officially having our blip. When we saw off Oxford comfortably on Boxing Day we were second and our form had been very consistent all season. If we played the second half of the season out in the same way we’d get top 2. Since then we’ve picked up 3 points out of 12 which is poor form. Is it recoverable? I doubt it. But not because we can’t go on a run. But because the top 2 are relentless.

And this pressure you speak of on KM. Are you whipping this up to suit your dramatic narrative?
I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:52 - Jan 21 with 1905 viewspointofblue

I'm losing faith in McKenna on 17:51 - Jan 21 by Stewart27

Sorry this is tosh. We’re all upset. But it is simply poor form.

Poor form over 4 games. We’re now officially having our blip. When we saw off Oxford comfortably on Boxing Day we were second and our form had been very consistent all season. If we played the second half of the season out in the same way we’d get top 2. Since then we’ve picked up 3 points out of 12 which is poor form. Is it recoverable? I doubt it. But not because we can’t go on a run. But because the top 2 are relentless.

And this pressure you speak of on KM. Are you whipping this up to suit your dramatic narrative?

Three wins in approaching a quarter of the season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024