No New Deal for Taylor
Monday, 17th Jul 2017 15:40
Town boss Mick McCarthy has confirmed that the Blues will not be offering Steven Taylor a new contract.
Following the loan recruitment of Dominic Iorfa, who plays as a right-sided centre-half as well as at right-back, from Wolves on Friday, in addition to Jordan Spence signing a new deal last month, it seemed unlikely that the 31-year-old would be offered new terms.
Skipper Luke Chambers and Adam Webster also both play primarily as right-sided centre-halves.
“We have brought in Jordan Spence and Dominic Iorfa in recent weeks to add to what we already have at the back,” McCarthy told the club site.
“Both Jordan and Dominic are very versatile players that can cover full-back and centre-back positions and we have good competition for places at the back now so we won’t be doing anything with Tayls.
"He’s a great pro and he will do a good job for someone. We wish him well.”
Former Newcastle United and Portland Timbers man Taylor joined the Blues on a short-term deal in January and made three appearances with his spell hampered by a recurrent hamstring injury.
He was invited back to Playford Road for the start of pre-season training and given the chance to win a new deal with the Blues, his previous contract having been up at the end of June.
Meanwhile, Brett Pitman, who left the Blues for Portsmouth last week, has been appointed Pompey's captain for the season ahead.
The 29-year-old striker, who has signed a three-year deal at Fratton Park, scored twice in the League One side's 2-0 victory at Bognor Regis Town on Saturday, his first game for the club.
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
|Bluebell added 15:43 - Jul 17|
Shame as he would have been a great influence to the younger players.
Unfortunately reading how many games he has played in the last 3 years doesn't fill me will expectation that we would get more than a dozen games out of him in a season.
Good decision Mick.
|ipswich4life added 15:45 - Jul 17|
Good,would have been a waste of money.
|12th_Man added 15:46 - Jul 17|
Shame think we need extra back up in CB Position
|Wallingford_Boy added 15:48 - Jul 17|
12th man, extra back up?! How many CBs does a club need??
Assuming Webster/Chambers start, we have Smith, Iorfa, Spence & Knudsen who can all play there.
Rather we just got this striker in and then we are good to go.
|Keaneish added 15:53 - Jul 17|
No surprises, but of a shame though. I thought he'd be a good head to have at the back this year with more youth in the squad. Fitness an obvious factor though.
More concerned that we're referencing full backs as cover for someone like him. No doubt they're decent versatile players but they're not on a par with Taylor or his experience. Knudsen, Iorfa and Spence to be utilised as make shift centre backs should it be needed? Clearly book balancing. Lets hope we get something in midfield on the wing or upfront to redress the balance.
|rayman_10 added 15:54 - Jul 17|
Shame cos on his day he's a good defender and seems a top bloke.
However if it means the wages go on a winger/striker then no complaints.
|Surco72 added 15:54 - Jul 17|
We have brought in Jordan Spence and Dominic Iorfa in recent weeks to add to what we already have at the back,” McCarthy told the club site.
Spence was already here for half of last season so we have brought in Iorfa and lost Berra , Taylor , Digby and Emmanuel
Does Taylor go down as another poor MM signing half a seasons wages for 3 games ? Some did predict this but got shouted down "to give them a chance " same as Leon Best
|Pencilpete added 15:57 - Jul 17|
Unfortunately when you arrive with a reputation for always being injured and then come off injured in 2 of the 3 appearances you do manage then IMO it would have needed a spectacular Pre-Season for him to have got a new deal.
Having said that everyone spoke highly of him while he was here and was the model pro by all accounts so I do wish him well and hope he finds himself a club and puts the injury worries behind him
|prebbs007 added 16:00 - Jul 17|
Madness. Better than Chambers. Better than Knudsen and worth adding for experience and leadership. Why even bother asking him back. Once again proof that Dino tw@t has no idea. Maybe he wasn't a proper bloke.
|12th_Man added 16:01 - Jul 17|
I just think we need to have back up and a proper CB not make shift Wallingford_Boy
|ShropshireBluenago09 added 16:04 - Jul 17|
Thought it was a good idea at the time we signed him, but over 30, lacks pace and injury prone.
Was totally exposed v Villa - struggled for 20 mins and then pulled up injured.
Good decision MM.
|Lightningboy added 16:05 - Jul 17|
Makes sense - I assume Chambers & Webster will be first choice with Smith as back-up and Spence,Iorfa,Knudsen capable of backing them up.
Hopefully it means we can spend a bit more on that elusive striker we really need.
|christiand added 16:13 - Jul 17|
I'm assuming that MM wasn't convinced by his fitness? He would have added much experience to our defence particularly centrally. For the ample options we have at the back you can't value the level of experience and quality he would've added. On paper he would've been the best defender at the club.....if injury free!
|cat added 16:14 - Jul 17|
Very disappointed about this, on his day and injuries permitting offers more than most of the others, with the exception hopefully being Webster. It's going to be interesting who plays along Chambers who unfortunately looks likely to be nailed on as per.
A big striker is a must though.
|brian_a_mul added 16:27 - Jul 17|
Best of luck Stephen
Clearly has injury/fitness issues and would be an expensive wage to have as a reserve player. We have good cover now and with Josh available to return if needed.
I hope he can get a new club sorted and have an injury free season.
|rickw added 16:38 - Jul 17|
As we now have plenty of cover this is the right decision, now spend his wages on someone who'll get the goals for us!!
|Mark added 16:42 - Jul 17|
It's a pity we couldn't agree a player-coach role with Taylor, as on the rare occasion I saw him play he brought leadership and organisation (in the short time before he went off injured).
I hope Iorfa can competently play centre back as I wouldn't really be happy seeing Knudsen or Spence playing there in a 4-4-2 for any length of time. With Berra, Digby and Taylor gone that leaves Chambers, Webster and Smith as our three real centre backs, and if one gets injured we could be sweating a bit.
Striker has to be our priority though, we can't rely on Garner, McGoldrick and Sears scoring regularly when they have only scored 35 between them in the last two years.
|midastouch added 16:50 - Jul 17|
he might of been worth the risk if the deal was right. obviously if he wasn't so injury prone he wouldn't of been so readily available. sometimes those players can be a risk worth taking but not always! as always with those sorts of players, the price has to be right or give them a short-term deal to prove their fitness or pay as you play. makes me think of that time when owen hargreaves put videos up on youtube in an attempt to try and prove his fitness!
|Brownie added 16:56 - Jul 17|
Injury record speaks for itself. Money needs to be spent elsewhere. Not sure we have seen enough of him to give an opinion but overall a good decision in my view to not to give him a contract.
|cranky_old_tractor added 17:05 - Jul 17|
Seemed decent but injury record is what it is - just unlucky I guess. So what is the plan MM/ME? Think squad is still a bit thin - couple of injuries could make a difference. Lets not forget we have others that are injury prone too. Time to get another defender and what that striker we desperately need?
|warktheline added 17:20 - Jul 17|
Pleased about this, injury prone, as already witnessed towards end of season. Extremely sad when as a club we continually seek out these kind of players hoping beyond hope something good will materialize!
|Steve_ITFC_Sweden added 17:22 - Jul 17|
Ideally, we would have more cover, but given that resources obviously have to be stretched to fill all positions, I think this is probably the right decision. Taylor would have been a good influence, but you just feel it would only be a matter of time before the next injury laid him off. Chambers, Webster, Smith + any stop-gap from Knudsen, Iorfa, Spence in case of injury should probably be enough, although personally, I'd like to see Webster converted to a defensive midfielder with attacking intent (is that a contradiction in terms?) Our midfield seems sorted, especially if the yoofs get a look-in there, so what we really need now, as many have already stated, is a goal machine up front.
|jas0999 added 17:26 - Jul 17|
Good player, but injury prone. Unlikely to play anymore than ten games.
Spence was part of last years squad, so with Berra (released), Taylor (released) and Emmanuel (loan) leaving and just Irofa coming in, surely that's a squad shortfall of two defenders?
|runningout added 17:29 - Jul 17|
Hope defenders are up to a tough season, sure they are. Half decent hungry forward required now and we can do a whole lotta smiling for once..
You need to login in order to post your comments
Blogs 241 bloggers
Ipswich Town Polls