Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD election manifesto 09:36 - Apr 20 with 2943 viewsPinewoodblue

What would you like to see in party manifesto that might influence the way you vote?

For me it would be :-

An elected second chamber to replace the House of Lords

Merger of Income Tax and NI with twice as many tax rates as now.

Urgent review of student loans especially the latest incarnation where interest is charged at RPI plus 3%.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

TWTD election manifesto on 09:40 - Apr 20 with 2494 viewshype313

I'd like to see a party break the mold and actually say if you want a functioning NHS then NI has to go up, because I'm sick of this hot potato being thrown around like it has done over the past 30 years.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

TWTD election manifesto on 09:52 - Apr 20 with 2478 viewsPinewoodblue

TWTD election manifesto on 09:40 - Apr 20 by hype313

I'd like to see a party break the mold and actually say if you want a functioning NHS then NI has to go up, because I'm sick of this hot potato being thrown around like it has done over the past 30 years.

Good point wonder if any party would be prepared to increase Income tax by 1% and it all going to NHS,, with the understanding that car parking charges at hospitals abolished and that purchase of supplies reorganised.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

TWTD election manifesto on 11:09 - Apr 20 with 2438 viewshype313

TWTD election manifesto on 09:52 - Apr 20 by Pinewoodblue

Good point wonder if any party would be prepared to increase Income tax by 1% and it all going to NHS,, with the understanding that car parking charges at hospitals abolished and that purchase of supplies reorganised.

If they put up our taxes to pour more finance into it (which is clearly needed) then they could perhaps look at parking charges, however I know one of the reasons for the charge is because in many places people were using the car park to make life easier to get into work etc.

However its a can that still keeps getting kicked down the road and no party has the b0llocks to actually do anything with it, even though polling has suggested a large majority of the nation wouldn't be averse to have taxes raised to pay for it.

TWTD election manifesto on 11:50 - Apr 20 with 2421 viewsJ2BLUE

Minimum wage guaranteed to be £10 or higher by the start of the 2020 tax year.

1% increase on income tax to fund the NHS

Foreign aid budget maintained at the current level (or increased). I have no problems with reforms on where the money goes though.

Proper help for first time buyers

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

TWTD election manifesto on 11:59 - Apr 20 with 2412 viewslowhouseblue

TWTD election manifesto on 11:50 - Apr 20 by J2BLUE

Minimum wage guaranteed to be £10 or higher by the start of the 2020 tax year.

1% increase on income tax to fund the NHS

Foreign aid budget maintained at the current level (or increased). I have no problems with reforms on where the money goes though.

Proper help for first time buyers

I'm not disagreeing, but your increase in funding to the nhs has largely been absorbed by your increase in the minimum wage (even more so once you include social care costs).

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

TWTD election manifesto on 13:09 - Apr 20 with 2370 views26_Paz

I will vote for any party that proposes to make it a legal requirement for Ipswich to sack Mick McCarthy

The Paz Man

TWTD election manifesto on 13:14 - Apr 20 with 2364 viewsJ2BLUE

TWTD election manifesto on 11:59 - Apr 20 by lowhouseblue

I'm not disagreeing, but your increase in funding to the nhs has largely been absorbed by your increase in the minimum wage (even more so once you include social care costs).

Fair point but people keep making similar points. You mention the NHS. Someone else mentioned the profits from big companies going to shareholders which in a lot of cases are pension funds. Others have mentioned prices going up to compensate for an increase in wages.

Just how much are we willing to screw over low paid workers in order to cut costs elsewhere?

Truly impaired.

TWTD election manifesto on 13:15 - Apr 20 with 2362 viewsClapham_Junction

Rent capping (and proper caps, not limits on rises)

A proportional electoral system

Ending right-to-buy
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD election manifesto on 13:21 - Apr 20 with 2347 viewschicoazul

Renationalisation of the railways followed by a large scale upgrade of the UK rail infrastructure
Reintroduction of Grammar Schools
Capital Punishment for some crimes
A reduction in the prison population combined with much harsher sentences
Much tighter regulation of private energy companies and what they charge consumers
Same with private water companies
A property occupation tax on single people living alone in houses with 3+ empty bedrooms

/EDIT: I was going to put reintroduction of the imperial system of weights and measures after BRexit but there is only so much hate on here I can take lads
[Post edited 20 Apr 2017 13:25]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

TWTD election manifesto on 13:25 - Apr 20 with 2330 viewsfooters

Drop the arbitrary 2% of GDP on defence spending. Identify requirements then purchase accordingly.

Tax betting.

Nationalise the railways and energy.

Edit: I had put privatise instead of nationalise, which brings me onto another: Reinstate the lunchtime pint.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2017 21:03]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TWTD election manifesto on 13:33 - Apr 20 with 2318 viewsJ2BLUE

TWTD election manifesto on 13:25 - Apr 20 by footers

Drop the arbitrary 2% of GDP on defence spending. Identify requirements then purchase accordingly.

Tax betting.

Nationalise the railways and energy.

Edit: I had put privatise instead of nationalise, which brings me onto another: Reinstate the lunchtime pint.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2017 21:03]

Are you prepared to let people offset losses against tax then? It won't make much money.

Truly impaired.

TWTD election manifesto on 13:37 - Apr 20 with 2308 viewslowhouseblue

TWTD election manifesto on 13:14 - Apr 20 by J2BLUE

Fair point but people keep making similar points. You mention the NHS. Someone else mentioned the profits from big companies going to shareholders which in a lot of cases are pension funds. Others have mentioned prices going up to compensate for an increase in wages.

Just how much are we willing to screw over low paid workers in order to cut costs elsewhere?

i support a rise in the minimum wage above what the tories have already promised. however to be effective a rise in the mw has to involve a rise relative to average wages - otherwise the general price level just goes up and the low paid are no better off in real terms. so it has to be re-distributional. workers who are already above the mw become worse off because the things they buy made by low paid workers become more expensive. in addition, as mentioned, the cost of providing public services rises and that has a consequence for taxes. so the challenge is to sell this to an electorate who don't want to be worse off and don't want to pay higher taxes. this is easier to do if the electorate believes you can make the economy grow - if incomes in general are rising the re-distributional effect is not such a concern. so economic credibility is key to getting the electorate to support higher minimum wages (this is what labour had when it introduced the minimum wage). economic credibility is the key for any reforming (and re-distributive) government.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

TWTD election manifesto on 13:46 - Apr 20 with 2297 viewsfooters

TWTD election manifesto on 13:33 - Apr 20 by J2BLUE

Are you prepared to let people offset losses against tax then? It won't make much money.

Should be a bit clearer. Mainly thinking of financial spread betting which is tax-free. I know a high street betting shop tax would make very little but the banks and hedge funds who use spread betting should be paying tax on these multi-million pound positions.

Love a flutter myself but honestly the levels of it in the UK are insane.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TWTD election manifesto on 13:50 - Apr 20 with 2286 viewschicoazul

TWTD election manifesto on 13:46 - Apr 20 by footers

Should be a bit clearer. Mainly thinking of financial spread betting which is tax-free. I know a high street betting shop tax would make very little but the banks and hedge funds who use spread betting should be paying tax on these multi-million pound positions.

Love a flutter myself but honestly the levels of it in the UK are insane.

Quite right.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

TWTD election manifesto on 13:56 - Apr 20 with 2275 viewsGiant_Midget

Decriminalisation of drugs and the legalisation of cannabis.
TWTD election manifesto on 13:57 - Apr 20 with 2272 viewshype313

TWTD election manifesto on 13:56 - Apr 20 by Giant_Midget

Don't tell Peter Hitchens that...

TWTD election manifesto on 14:04 - Apr 20 with 2255 viewsFKA_tomtheblue

Abolish private property

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none
Poll: TWTDs best couple?

TWTD election manifesto on 14:05 - Apr 20 with 2253 viewsMJallday

tax/ni to be fixed percentage - irrespective of what you earn
tax on all corporations of 100% for any company making more than 100 million a year
all benefits to be paid in vouchers, not cash and non-transferrable
speed limit on controlled sections of motorways to be uplifited to 155mph
education - including university - to be free for all
a bank holiday in july and october
the death penalty for rapists and murderers

if labour did that, id vote for them

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

TWTD election manifesto on 14:09 - Apr 20 with 2234 viewschicoazul

TWTD election manifesto on 14:04 - Apr 20 by FKA_tomtheblue

Abolish private property

Forward to freedom, comrade.

TWTD election manifesto on 14:09 - Apr 20 with 2231 viewsJ2BLUE

TWTD election manifesto on 14:04 - Apr 20 by FKA_tomtheblue

Abolish private property

Hunt vegans for sport

Truly impaired.

TWTD election manifesto on 17:07 - Apr 20 with 2167 viewsMedwayTractor

TWTD election manifesto on 13:15 - Apr 20 by Clapham_Junction

Rent capping (and proper caps, not limits on rises)

A proportional electoral system

Ending right-to-buy

Rent control in any form would be a disaster.

The private rental sector works only because landlords receive a decent return on capital invested. Without this, landlords will have insufficient money to maintain the housing stock in tenantable condition, meaning that tenants will be living in accommodation which becomes progressively more dilapidated.

About 100 years ago, something like 90% of the population lived in rented accommodation, then rent controls were brought in, with the initial intention of helping war-time workers find somewhere to live without being exploited by war profiteers. Within 50 years or so, so much of the private rented accommodation was sold off for owner-occupation because of landlords' diminishing returns that the owner-occupied sector was at something like 90%, exactly the reverse. Much of the rental housing was classified as slums, resulting in more destruction of the housing stock in the Post War years than the Luftwaffe had managed to achieve.

If society wants decent standards of rental housing, which helps mobility of labour and doesn't leave people at the mercy of banks and building societies, then rent control is the worst way to achieve this.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

TWTD election manifesto on 18:20 - Apr 20 with 2143 viewsClapham_Junction

TWTD election manifesto on 17:07 - Apr 20 by MedwayTractor

Rent control in any form would be a disaster.

The private rental sector works only because landlords receive a decent return on capital invested. Without this, landlords will have insufficient money to maintain the housing stock in tenantable condition, meaning that tenants will be living in accommodation which becomes progressively more dilapidated.

About 100 years ago, something like 90% of the population lived in rented accommodation, then rent controls were brought in, with the initial intention of helping war-time workers find somewhere to live without being exploited by war profiteers. Within 50 years or so, so much of the private rented accommodation was sold off for owner-occupation because of landlords' diminishing returns that the owner-occupied sector was at something like 90%, exactly the reverse. Much of the rental housing was classified as slums, resulting in more destruction of the housing stock in the Post War years than the Luftwaffe had managed to achieve.

If society wants decent standards of rental housing, which helps mobility of labour and doesn't leave people at the mercy of banks and building societies, then rent control is the worst way to achieve this.

Rent controls work well in other countries, notably Germany which has the highest proportion of people renting in the EU.

If we had rent controls, many landlords would still receive a decent return. Those that couldn't would probably have to sell, which in turn could help bring property prices down due to increased supply. This would benefit other potential landlords (who could buy more cheaply) or people who wanted to buy rather than rent.

It's also the government's role to ensure rented housing is in good condition. Sadly the current government voted down amendments to the Housing bill that would have required landlords to make their homes fit for human habitation.
TWTD election manifesto on 18:59 - Apr 20 with 2113 viewsKievthegreat

TWTD election manifesto on 09:40 - Apr 20 by hype313

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/16/lib-dems-call-for-1p-income-tax-

Lib Dems last month suggested a 1p increase in income tax to fund NHS.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2017 19:05]
TWTD election manifesto on 19:04 - Apr 20 with 2100 viewsKievthegreat

TWTD election manifesto on 13:56 - Apr 20 by Giant_Midget

http://www.libdems.org.uk/drug-legalisation-prison-overcrowding

http://www.libdems.org.uk/uk_drug_laws_need_radical_change

Lib dems in favour of decriminalising personal use.
TWTD election manifesto on 19:04 - Apr 20 with 2099 viewsbluelagos

I think something serious to address the cost of housing. No party wants to induce a crash, but I think the price of housing is scandalous. And please don't let it be something to assist buyers, that is only inflationary. We need to substantially increase the numbers of new properties properties being built.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024