Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season 09:28 - May 15 with 6082 viewsblueblood66

No doubt they will be in the mix to go back again, such is modern football and the crazy parachute payments
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:29 - May 15 with 4412 viewsLord_Lucan

Funnily I can't see any of the relegated clubs going up next season.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:30 - May 15 with 4408 viewsPJH

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:29 - May 15 by Lord_Lucan

Certainly none of them are as good as Newcastle so perhaps not.
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:34 - May 15 with 4395 viewshype313

Boro will be strong as Gibson is astute and gets decent managers in, Sunderland's owners seem to have lost interest, think Moyes will struggle in this league, likewise Hull.

Think Sheff Utd and Bolton will be strong coming up.

Could do with Wednesday going up as Fulham will no doubt lose a few key players and they don't have the finances like Wednesday do.

Going to be a very very tough year for us.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:37 - May 15 with 4373 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:30 - May 15 by PJH

Certainly none of them are as good as Newcastle so perhaps not.

Depends if/how they have planned for their relegation.

Burnley went up and were well prepared/expected to come straight back down, kept the majority of the squad together, added some extra quality (Andre Gray) and went back up stronger and better prepared.

Neither Hull or Boro look like they've had quite such a long term view (given their change of managers) so would expect them to be like Norwich next season.. Great on their but too unsettled enough to make a real push at promotion
[Post edited 15 May 2017 9:38]
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:38 - May 15 with 4372 viewsitfcjoe

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:34 - May 15 by hype313

Boro will be strong as Gibson is astute and gets decent managers in, Sunderland's owners seem to have lost interest, think Moyes will struggle in this league, likewise Hull.

Think Sheff Utd and Bolton will be strong coming up.

Could do with Wednesday going up as Fulham will no doubt lose a few key players and they don't have the finances like Wednesday do.

Going to be a very very tough year for us.

If Hull keep hold of their manager I can't see them struggling - bearing in mind when he was appointed they were below Sunderland and he didn't really bring any of his own guys in, and with his track record, he clearly has something about him.

Sunderland will struggle, they are a shambles.

Boro need a good appointment, I'd expect them to be there or thereabouts with top 6.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:41 - May 15 with 4353 viewsPJH

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:37 - May 15 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Burnley went up and were well prepared/expected to come straight back down, kept the majority of the squad together, added some extra quality (Andre Gray) and went back up stronger and better prepared.

Neither Hull or Boro look like they've had quite such a long term view (given their change of managers) so would expect them to be like Norwich next season.. Great on their but too unsettled enough to make a real push at promotion

I suppose Sunderland may have planned for relegation because they have come close to it every year in recent times but I don't see them as being as likely as Newcastle were to bounce back.
I think it would have been a major surprise if Newcastle had not gone back up but I do not think it would be if none of the three coming down do although I suppose law of averages says one of them might.
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:41 - May 15 with 4354 viewshype313

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:38 - May 15 by itfcjoe

If Hull keep hold of their manager I can't see them struggling - bearing in mind when he was appointed they were below Sunderland and he didn't really bring any of his own guys in, and with his track record, he clearly has something about him.

Boro need a good appointment, I'd expect them to be there or thereabouts with top 6.

From what I hear the Hull manager has his admirers, so I'd be surprised to see him stay next season.

But , agree, if he does stay then they will be stronger for it.

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:42 - May 15 with 4348 viewsblueislander

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:37 - May 15 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Hull appear to be in the same disarray as Villa were last year, but I think both Boro and Sunderland will be challenging. Villa will be up there together with the 3 teams that lose in the play-offs and Leeds. It is very difficult to see us getting near those teams.
Login to get fewer ads

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:45 - May 15 with 4334 viewsHarryWright

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:42 - May 15 by blueislander

Hull appear to be in the same disarray as Villa were last year, but I think both Boro and Sunderland will be challenging. Villa will be up there together with the 3 teams that lose in the play-offs and Leeds. It is very difficult to see us getting near those teams.

I don't think Hull are anywhere near the disarray villa were in. They put up a decent fight but bottled it in the last couple of games.
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:48 - May 15 with 4315 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:41 - May 15 by hype313

From what I hear the Hull manager has his admirers, so I'd be surprised to see him stay next season.

But , agree, if he does stay then they will be stronger for it.

Rumour is he's on his way to Southampton..

He hasn't done his reputation any harm in his short spell in the PL, but these last few weeks Hull have been as dire as they were earlier in the season.

If they keep him I fancy they'll be top 2 next season, if not then it's anyone's guess as the owner is still trying to sell the club so not sure who they could bring in to do a job for them - McCarthy maybe?
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:48 - May 15 with 4315 viewsitfcjoe

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:45 - May 15 by HarryWright

I don't think Hull are anywhere near the disarray villa were in. They put up a decent fight but bottled it in the last couple of games.

I'd say Sunderland are more like Villa, as you say Hull are nothing like them really

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:51 - May 15 with 4304 viewshype313

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:48 - May 15 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Rumour is he's on his way to Southampton..

He hasn't done his reputation any harm in his short spell in the PL, but these last few weeks Hull have been as dire as they were earlier in the season.

If they keep him I fancy they'll be top 2 next season, if not then it's anyone's guess as the owner is still trying to sell the club so not sure who they could bring in to do a job for them - McCarthy maybe?

Souness made a good point about him when he said everyone's saying what a great job he has done, but when he came in they were second from bottom and now they are third, hardly a wonder job, losing to Sunderland a few weeks back was the final nail.

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:55 - May 15 with 4279 viewschicoazul

Seems to me that relegated clubs in the main struggle very much with life in the Championship. Parachute payments may almost be a curse.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:56 - May 15 with 4272 viewschicoazul

No way will Silva be in the Champ nest season, hes done a brilliant job and will have loads of offers in the PL and abroad.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:58 - May 15 with 4265 viewsitfcjoe

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:51 - May 15 by hype313

Souness made a good point about him when he said everyone's saying what a great job he has done, but when he came in they were second from bottom and now they are third, hardly a wonder job, losing to Sunderland a few weeks back was the final nail.

I think it's more the other way - everyone said that Moyes had no chance and there was no benefit in getting rid of him as he's a good manager etc....when Silva came in at Hull they were below Sunderland and finishing 10 points ahead of them. Shows how bad Moyes has done.

When he came in they had 13 points from 20 games and bottom, he picked up 21 from 17 which over the season would give them 47 points which would have them in the top 10. To even get them close to staying up from where they were is pretty good - it just shows that they were doomed when he came in

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:01 - May 15 with 4245 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:58 - May 15 by itfcjoe

I think it's more the other way - everyone said that Moyes had no chance and there was no benefit in getting rid of him as he's a good manager etc....when Silva came in at Hull they were below Sunderland and finishing 10 points ahead of them. Shows how bad Moyes has done.

When he came in they had 13 points from 20 games and bottom, he picked up 21 from 17 which over the season would give them 47 points which would have them in the top 10. To even get them close to staying up from where they were is pretty good - it just shows that they were doomed when he came in

He also sold Snodgrass and Livermore in January.. and still got them upwardly mobile.

The blemish is their form/results over the past couple of weeks, but his stock is still going to be quite high given the dire situation he was inheriting at the club
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:09 - May 15 with 4181 viewstextbackup

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 09:29 - May 15 by Lord_Lucan

I think the same, along with villa and Norwich both staying down, some new blood to go up next season, a real dark horse team, someone that's it been up there for donkeys years...

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:11 - May 15 with 4172 viewsLord_Lucan

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:09 - May 15 by textbackup

I think the same, along with villa and Norwich both staying down, some new blood to go up next season, a real dark horse team, someone that's it been up there for donkeys years...

I think Villa will go up along with one of the current play off teams and also a dark horse - although to be fair it is so unpredictable as to be virtually impossible to call.

We will end up pretty much where we did this season - if we are lucky.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:21 - May 15 with 4149 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I never understand why every season people are wetting themselves about the teams coming down, when actually as many struggle to adapt as end up going back up

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:45 - May 15 with 4069 viewsHarryWright

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 10:21 - May 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I never understand why every season people are wetting themselves about the teams coming down, when actually as many struggle to adapt as end up going back up

To be fair, it's probably just looking at last year when Hull and Burnley bounced straight back. Then perhaps Norwich the year before. It's rare that two go back up let alone three, either way I can't see it affecting us too much barring a huge improvement.
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 11:23 - May 15 with 4007 viewsJimmyJazz

Was looking at the strikers Boro have on their books. Rhodes, Bamford, Gestede and Stuani. Not effective in the Prem but got to be the best 4 striker combination in the Championship. The mantle we apparently had 2 years ago

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 11:27 - May 15 with 4002 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 11:23 - May 15 by JimmyJazz

Was looking at the strikers Boro have on their books. Rhodes, Bamford, Gestede and Stuani. Not effective in the Prem but got to be the best 4 striker combination in the Championship. The mantle we apparently had 2 years ago

If they keep hold of them and give them something to work with, which I'm sure they will if they keep Dowing and De Roon then they should be pretty effective.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Rhodes leave (again) especially if Wendy get promoted.

Though Bamford and Gestede would be pretty handy and Stuani was decent the season they got promoted.
2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 11:41 - May 15 with 3970 viewsbontcho

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 11:23 - May 15 by JimmyJazz

I think Boro will be right up there. I don't think they'll lose too many players (Negredo, perhaps Gibson) and have stable ownership. The same can't be said of Sunderland or Hull who will lose their best players, have (esp Sunderland) many uninterested players on huge wages and unstable ownership. If I was offered all 3 manager jobs I'd take Boro. Hull could go any way really, whereas Sunderland could go down if they don't sort themselves out.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 12:55 - May 15 with 3894 viewsGuthrum

Positions of relegated teams their first season in the Championship:

16/17 Newcastle 1st, Norwich 8th, Villa 13th
15/16 Hull 4th, Burnley 1st, QPR 12th
14/15 Norwich 3rd, Fulham 17th, Cardiff 11th
13/14 Wigan 5th, Reading 7th, QPR 4th
12/13 Bolton 7th, Blackburn 17th, Wolves 23rd
11/12 Birmingham 4th, Blackpool 5th, West Ham 3rd
10/11Burnley 8th, Hull 11th, Portsmouth 16th
09/10 Newcastle 1st, Middlesbrough 11th, West Brom 2nd
08/09 Reading 4th, Birmingham 2nd, Derby 18th
07/08 Sheffield United 9th, Charlton 11th, Watford 6th

Average position between 8th and 9th.

In 8 out of the 10 seasons, either one or two will at least make the play-offs, but in only one of those have all three done so. In all bar two seasons, one of the teams (on three occasions two of them) finish below 10th place, frequently struggling badly. And it doesn't really seem to have got progressively easier in recent years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

2 of the 3 promoted last season return next season on 13:02 - May 15 with 3870 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Hull are in a mess and could struggle. They'll lose their manager and any player up to scratch.

Sunderland are so bad they could go down again.

Middlesbrough are a good bet for the top six but they'll need to have a change of system and start scoring goals again.

I fancy Norwich, Derby if they can get the team spirit sorted, Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday if they don't go up to lead the promotion charge.

If Bart is sold, Mick stays and he's given little funds, we will be bottom 6...at best.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024