Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers 09:28 - Jun 1 with 7336 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Looking to get a second hand family car as the old Focus has finally gone kaput.
Need boot space and back seat space for one/ soon to be two baby/child seats, plus dog. Want reliability and decent economy, not worried about flashiness or performance besides basics, want it to last so we don't NEED to replace it for years.
£10k budget.

Were originally thinking Skoda Octavia but the rear seats are limited especially with 2 car seats. Now thinking of the Citroen C4 picasso. Looks a decent option. 3 proper back seats and a boot, plus decent kit.

Anyone have anny experience of the C4, Octavia, or any other recommendations.
Many thanks in advance.
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:36 - Jun 1 with 6442 viewsMJallday

if youve had a focus - then the mondeo is the next step up. they are pretty much bullet proof and youll pick up a low mileage decent one for <10k. i had one for 3 years - most comfy car i have ever had.

aside from that in the ford range, you could do worse than a cmax - old focus chassis and suited perfectly for families. we have one for years - spot on it was. (upgraded last year for the kuga sport now kids have grown up)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:38 - Jun 1 with 6442 viewsBlueBadger

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:36 - Jun 1 by MJallday

if youve had a focus - then the mondeo is the next step up. they are pretty much bullet proof and youll pick up a low mileage decent one for <10k. i had one for 3 years - most comfy car i have ever had.

aside from that in the ford range, you could do worse than a cmax - old focus chassis and suited perfectly for families. we have one for years - spot on it was. (upgraded last year for the kuga sport now kids have grown up)

Currently driving a second hand Berlingo. It's a proper old workhorse with loads of room for kids, kids and the associated clutter that comes wit them.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:43 - Jun 1 with 6426 viewsSmithy

Reliability & French, never gone together in my experience

Stick to Japanese if you want reliability

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:51 - Jun 1 with 6409 viewsAxeldalai_lama

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:36 - Jun 1 by MJallday

Cheers. The Focus wasn't the best car for us. The mrs really hated it. So we were probably looking to move away from Fords although they're pretty solid. Did look at a c max actually, but were a bit uninspiring compared to some of the similar sized family cars.

Didn't give much thought to the mondeo. Could be a good shout. It's whether we're taking the plunge to a full on "family" car(picasso/Zafira/ C max) or trying to cling onto a "normal" but bigger car (Octavia/Mondeo etc). Were originally going to just get a bigger car, but might go full family car after giving it more thought.
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:51 - Jun 1 with 6409 viewsNewcyBlue

A mate of mine has given me a tough one.

Find a car for him for under 3 grand that he can use to cart his 3 boys about who are all under 6, and he can use on long journeys...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:52 - Jun 1 with 6405 viewsfactual_blue

The Octavia is excellent. With regards to children, the little 'uns demonstrated that you can easily fit two in the boot (the minute we opened it, they jumped in. No coercion involved), and they were twelve and ten at the time.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:54 - Jun 1 with 6400 viewsAxeldalai_lama

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:43 - Jun 1 by Smithy

Reliability & French, never gone together in my experience

Stick to Japanese if you want reliability

Well that was a big reservation we had. C4's seem less reliable than the likes of an Octavia or similar workhorse, but pretty good overall against the bigger family cars.
Not sure in reality though.
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:59 - Jun 1 with 6392 viewsAxeldalai_lama

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:52 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

The Octavia is excellent. With regards to children, the little 'uns demonstrated that you can easily fit two in the boot (the minute we opened it, they jumped in. No coercion involved), and they were twelve and ten at the time.

The Octavia is clearly a great car, that's almost the problem. If it wasn't an option we'd probably just got more for a full on family car like zafira/ picasso or C Max etc. It's such a good car, just the chances of getting two proper baby seats, a dog, and a boot full of stuff in at the same time is an issue.
It's pretty much just the 3 full rear seats and a bit of extra spec that make the Picasso an option, otherwise the Octavia would be a no brainer.
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:13 - Jun 1 with 6372 viewsGuthrum

Octavia is excellent. I have a fairly old one (2004 1.9 diesel estate), but it's pretty much bulletproof, has cost me very little in the way of repairs, MPG of around 55 even when heavily loaded, reasonable amount of power. Lots of space in the back (doubles as a work van).

Had a Citroen C5 (not the Picasso), was a heap of junk and very expensive to maintain. Almost everything electrical went wrong. Then the engine blew up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:20 - Jun 1 with 6357 viewsITFC1983

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:51 - Jun 1 by NewcyBlue

Find a car for him for under 3 grand that he can use to cart his 3 boys about who are all under 6, and he can use on long journeys...

Ford Focus C-Max mine is a proper work horse, low miles well maintained diesel will come in around that price. The one below just came up in a quick search, 9 years old but 58k miles, very good fuel economy and very usefull space for all the kids and bits!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704064136340/usedcars

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:21 - Jun 1 with 6357 viewsAxeldalai_lama

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:13 - Jun 1 by Guthrum

Octavia is excellent. I have a fairly old one (2004 1.9 diesel estate), but it's pretty much bulletproof, has cost me very little in the way of repairs, MPG of around 55 even when heavily loaded, reasonable amount of power. Lots of space in the back (doubles as a work van).

Had a Citroen C5 (not the Picasso), was a heap of junk and very expensive to maintain. Almost everything electrical went wrong. Then the engine blew up.

That's pretty much my fears summed up in 2 paragraphs!
Octavia; bulletproof, economical etc.
C4; potentially dodgy if slightly more suitable for my requirements.
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:23 - Jun 1 with 6353 viewsITFC1983

Brother has the Octavia Estate, he has young 2 boys and says it is deecnt but not amazing. He had a C-Max before the Octavia and says he prefered that.

I have been told that the Honda CR-V is the best for this kind of requirements. However for a decent one you will need to stretch the budget to about £12-13k. Very Solid, excellent MPG and only £30 road tax! Whats not to like!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705245771597
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 10:26]

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:36 - Jun 1 with 6344 viewsBluJu

We took delivery of a new "facelift" C4 Grand Picasso a couple of months ago.

Great space, and full of gizmos, like reversing camera, parking assist, satnav, full panoramic glass roof w/ electric blind etc. all as standard on our model. (try spec'ing up a volkswagen similarly and you'll add thousands beyond an already inflated starting price).

Having next to no dials and knobs and just a touch screen takes some getting used to - still haven't. It's a bit of a barrier actually - e.g. when I want to turn the fan down, I have to go through the menu. But on the flip-side, there is a lot of control.

The radio is slightly iffy. Sound is good but not as good as the S-Max, and it keeps losing digital stations, or mixing them up - and reception is not as reliable. But hey Radio Suffolk is still on FM anyway.. lol.

Reliability will be the biggest test. After owning 4 Ford Focus, then 4 Ford S-Max in a row, without a single breakdown (for something like 720,000+ miles?) our shiny new Citroen broke down after 700 miles (needed a new master cylinder for clutch). Fine since, and the dealer was excellent, but I am less trusting of the car.

The C4 drives nicely, but in my opinion does not have the premium handling of the S-Max, which really drove like a much smaller car, with an extra bit of zip over this. The Citroen actually has a real spare wheel! An increasing rarity...

I like it, but i'll like it more if it proves reliable. We chose it as we were forced away from the S-Max due to emissions regs, and needed a similar size. The equivalents from Volkswagen, Vauxhall, et all were dull, pricey or both. Many other alternatives did not provide 3 proper rear seats in row 2 (middle seat is always a compromise), which was a major factor as we have 3 kids and do regular long journeys. The 3rd row seats have more room on the Citroen, but takes up more of the boot when up.

If having back-massaging front seats is a must, then the Citroen is the way to go ;)

(edit: I would only go for the Citroen if buying new or leasing)
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 10:39]
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:37 - Jun 1 with 6339 viewsNo9

Have alook at the Skoda Superb
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:38 - Jun 1 with 6337 viewsThrobbe

That screams old Volvo Estate to me.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:40 - Jun 1 with 6328 viewsBluJu

S-Max of the right age for the price?
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:48 - Jun 1 with 6312 viewsbluelagos

If he doesn't mind ugly...

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/used-cars-for-sale/fiat/multipla/fiat-multipla-

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:57 - Jun 1 with 6293 viewsNewcyBlue

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:38 - Jun 1 by Throbbe

That screams old Volvo Estate to me.

That was my initial thought, and then thought about the S Max as Guthers suggested.

Lagos - a Multipla is a decent shout.

OP - Peugeot Citroen have the usual reliability issues, but they are no worse than most other cars. The HDi engines are pretty good these days. It is mostly electrics on them.

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 11:02 - Jun 1 with 6284 viewsbluelagos

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:57 - Jun 1 by NewcyBlue

That was my initial thought, and then thought about the S Max as Guthers suggested.

OP - Peugeot Citroen have the usual reliability issues, but they are no worse than most other cars. The HDi engines are pretty good these days. It is mostly electrics on them.

Added bonus of him getting a fugly car is you can mercilessly rip the p*ss too.

The correct answer if of course to get a motorbike. Leave the kids at home and get and out and enjoy the weather / sunshine.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 11:10 - Jun 1 with 6273 viewsNewcyBlue

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 11:02 - Jun 1 by bluelagos

Added bonus of him getting a fugly car is you can mercilessly rip the p*ss too.

The correct answer if of course to get a motorbike. Leave the kids at home and get and out and enjoy the weather / sunshine.

He's not built for speed....

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 11:19 - Jun 1 with 6261 viewshoppy

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 10:57 - Jun 1 by NewcyBlue

Another reasonable alternative, which is a 7 seater as standard with individual 2nd row seats, is the Kia Carens... The '3' spec is a bit over the 10k budget for a reasonable mileage one, but quite a few more extras/toys than the '2' level that these ones are...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705275872449?make=KIA&year-from

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612130573636?onesearchad=Used&o

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 15:16 - May 17 with 4936 viewsoliviacolewood

Have you tried looking on https://www.raccars.co.uk/? You can fill out your specifications and price range so it should help you narrow down you choices. I found it to be a helpful site when I was looking to buy a used car.
TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 16:08 - May 17 with 4893 viewsPinewoodblue

One thing you may like about the CMax is the way the rear doors open.

Changed cars recently, stuck with Renault, went for Kadjar after five Scenics. Went to Hammonds on the old park and ride site by Asda. They have a good selection, wide range of brands, nothing older than a 65 plate.

Kadjar only cost £13,000 12 months old with 1,750 mile on the clock. Even if you end up buying elsewhere worth going there to compare vehicles.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 18:14 - May 17 with 4826 viewsemergencylime

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 09:54 - Jun 1 by Axeldalai_lama

Well that was a big reservation we had. C4's seem less reliable than the likes of an Octavia or similar workhorse, but pretty good overall against the bigger family cars.
Not sure in reality though.

C4 practicality with Octavia reliability = Skoda Yeti , no?

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 18:33 - May 17 with 4798 viewsPinewoodblue

TWTD car experts or C4 picasso drivers on 18:14 - May 17 by emergencylime

C4 practicality with Octavia reliability = Skoda Yeti , no?

No. C4 boot capacity 25% greater than Skoda Yetie. C4 also has no lip.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024