Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... 20:03 - Jun 5 with 12678 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

He should have been armed
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:52 - Jun 5 with 2991 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:35 - Jun 5 by MJallday

whats so special about london? how would blanket arming the met that have prevented manchester? or other situations like the lee rigby one?

a blanket "give everyone guns" might be how the US operates, but over here in blighty , we work a bit different. fewer guns is a good thing. last thing we want is more on the streets.
so whilst your suggestion might work for the USA, it doesnt work here .

Does anyone actually read my posts? Jesus christ.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:54 - Jun 5 with 2984 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:40 - Jun 5 by mutters

No sorry i completely disagree here. He should not have been armed, we have instant armed response teams who are availabe when needed. The British police have shown how amazing they can be during the course of recent event. Giving them guns would put barriers up with the public.

That's fine we can agree to disagree
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:54 - Jun 5 with 2982 viewsThisIsMyUsername

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:42 - Jun 5 by tcblue

I really don't. I think you mean a tiered system where some police are armed and some aren't which I'd exactly what we've got now

Off the top of my head there about 125,000 police officers in the UK and hasn't the news been saying this week that only about 1,100 are routinely armed?

So the vast majority of police officers in a country which is a prime target for terrorism are not armed.

In this day and age that is madness.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:54 - Jun 5 with 2978 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:54 - Jun 5 by ThisIsMyUsername

Off the top of my head there about 125,000 police officers in the UK and hasn't the news been saying this week that only about 1,100 are routinely armed?

So the vast majority of police officers in a country which is a prime target for terrorism are not armed.

Indeed.

Apparently I am the mad one for not wanting to keep innocent people safe.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2017 20:55]
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:57 - Jun 5 with 2963 viewsMullet

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:54 - Jun 5 by ThisIsMyUsername

The police aren't likely targets though, they are more likely to be injured or killed than other people who arrive late to the scene sure, but these attacks show your logic pointing to arming teenage girls and tourists.

I also don't know how you stop a suicide bomber who's rigged to blow even if shot dead in many cases as it's done via remote.

The investment for me needs to go online first and foremost, that's the arms race where we can win.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:05 - Jun 5 with 2937 viewsThisIsMyUsername

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:57 - Jun 5 by Mullet

The police aren't likely targets though, they are more likely to be injured or killed than other people who arrive late to the scene sure, but these attacks show your logic pointing to arming teenage girls and tourists.

I also don't know how you stop a suicide bomber who's rigged to blow even if shot dead in many cases as it's done via remote.

The investment for me needs to go online first and foremost, that's the arms race where we can win.

Less likely to be killed and if armed. Just look at PC Keith Palmer. Killed protecting Westminster while unarmed.

I have no idea how you think my logic is suggesting arming teenage girls.

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:09 - Jun 5 with 2925 viewsMullet

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:05 - Jun 5 by ThisIsMyUsername

Less likely to be killed and if armed. Just look at PC Keith Palmer. Killed protecting Westminster while unarmed.

I have no idea how you think my logic is suggesting arming teenage girls.

Of the last three attacks how/where were on duty front line police the main, or even incidental targets?

The terrorists are going for soft targets. The 1st official police response this weekend took 8 minutes by specially armed officers. That is astoundingly impressive.

If police feel they can do better/would benefit more then as I said, they should get to voice and decide that. Just assuming it's right for them isn't helpful.

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:15 - Jun 5 with 2898 viewsThisIsMyUsername

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:09 - Jun 5 by Mullet

Of the last three attacks how/where were on duty front line police the main, or even incidental targets?

The terrorists are going for soft targets. The 1st official police response this weekend took 8 minutes by specially armed officers. That is astoundingly impressive.

If police feel they can do better/would benefit more then as I said, they should get to voice and decide that. Just assuming it's right for them isn't helpful.

I have no idea what your first paragraph is meant to say.

I agree what happened the other night was dealt with brilliantly. The response elsewhere in the majority of the country would almost certainly not be as rapid as that in London, however.

Login to get fewer ads

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:17 - Jun 5 with 2888 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:30 - Jun 5 by tcblue

Are you asking our police force to kill? I really think that's a huge thing to ask them, one they didn't sign up to.

File this in the same place as your playing PL games in the US idea

Yes, they should have the ability to kill murderous terrorists.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:17 - Jun 5 with 2889 viewscrunchie1978

I agree 100%...at times like these they should be...the arguments the polictical parties are having on police numbers at the moment is irrelevant unless they are armed.
Are these extra officers just go to rugby tackle these nut jobs and take them down in some sort of mass bundle....or is the government going to protect these brave officers by giving them what they need.
I do agree with a lot of posts on this subject on here saying its not the right thing to do...which in the long term it's not....but in the current climate I think it's called for to protect themselves and us.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:19 - Jun 5 with 2881 viewsMJallday

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 20:54 - Jun 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Indeed.

Apparently I am the mad one for not wanting to keep innocent people safe.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2017 20:55]

we all want people to be safe. but id strongly suggest introducing more things that could kill people into the equasion is the wrong way of doing it....!

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:23 - Jun 5 with 2876 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:19 - Jun 5 by MJallday

we all want people to be safe. but id strongly suggest introducing more things that could kill people into the equasion is the wrong way of doing it....!

Our police force are some of if not the best in the world. I am not sure why you think by arming them London would suddenly turn into Southside Chicago.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:27 - Jun 5 with 2865 viewscrunchie1978

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:09 - Jun 5 by Mullet

The British transport police officer was the first police officer on the scene appartley...hes now in hospital critical....if he was armed he'd of been able to take these terrorists down earlier...saving lives.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:31 - Jun 5 with 2850 viewsMJallday

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:23 - Jun 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Our police force are some of if not the best in the world. I am not sure why you think by arming them London would suddenly turn into Southside Chicago.

ive no doubt the US police do a stirling job. ive only met a couple.

one was a guy in times square who was about 9 feet tall - he was a miserable sod

another was a canadian mountie in toronto - he shouted at me to pick his glove up when he dropped it and didnt want to get of his horse. i was a bit scared so i did it.

the others i met were border patrol and they were too busy harrassing a couple from leeds trying to get into the US

anyway, i digress

the point im making is that if you introduce weaponary into the hands of the police , then then criminals will naturally also start to obtain and carry such weapons "if the police have got them, we need them" - and the whole thing will escalate.

a secondary issue is of course, you end up with a "shoot now and ask questions later situation" - weve had several cases in this country (and im aware of a few in the US) where people were shot by police officers, and perhaps the decision was later deemed to be incorrect....

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:32 - Jun 5 with 2848 viewsMullet

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:27 - Jun 5 by crunchie1978

The British transport police officer was the first police officer on the scene appartley...hes now in hospital critical....if he was armed he'd of been able to take these terrorists down earlier...saving lives.

He might have been, I'd say it's very difficult to presume that given these men may have focused all on him. 3 on 1 at close range armed with knives isn't the best odds for him either.

I'm not sure it's fair or healthy to speculate.

Especially given that "everyday" police and guns are a very different proposition to armed response units from what I gather.

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:35 - Jun 5 with 2841 viewscrunchie1978

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:32 - Jun 5 by Mullet

He might have been, I'd say it's very difficult to presume that given these men may have focused all on him. 3 on 1 at close range armed with knives isn't the best odds for him either.

I'm not sure it's fair or healthy to speculate.

Especially given that "everyday" police and guns are a very different proposition to armed response units from what I gather.

That's a possibility...but i bet he's laying in hospital now wishing that he did have a gun instead of a piece of wood.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:38 - Jun 5 with 2825 viewsMullet

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:35 - Jun 5 by crunchie1978

That's a possibility...but i bet he's laying in hospital now wishing that he did have a gun instead of a piece of wood.

Hence why I feel the Police should as professionals be the ones to lead the consultation on this.

It's easy and rather simple to presume on his and others behalf and maybe now his life and career has been so horribly affected it's understandable but I don't think the kneejerk "arm the police" line is necessarily the most sensible.

It's moves like this that the terrorists want after all.

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:39 - Jun 5 with 2822 viewsvapour_trail

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:35 - Jun 5 by crunchie1978

<insert joke about soon to be exiled Eastern European nurse here>

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:40 - Jun 5 with 2815 viewsmutters

Do you support Trident renewal?

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:41 - Jun 5 with 2810 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:38 - Jun 5 by Mullet

Hence why I feel the Police should as professionals be the ones to lead the consultation on this.

It's easy and rather simple to presume on his and others behalf and maybe now his life and career has been so horribly affected it's understandable but I don't think the kneejerk "arm the police" line is necessarily the most sensible.

It's moves like this that the terrorists want after all.

Well it should certainly be a discussion point. My mum and dads local village bobby doesn't need one but those around Borough high street on a Saturday night do IMO.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:43 - Jun 5 with 2798 viewsvapour_trail

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:41 - Jun 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Well it should certainly be a discussion point. My mum and dads local village bobby doesn't need one but those around Borough high street on a Saturday night do IMO.

I've not followed the thread, but if there weren't armed bobby kicking around LB station on a Saturday night, I'm genuinely surprised. They're normally ever present at mainline stations.

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:44 - Jun 5 with 2798 viewsmutters

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:41 - Jun 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

There is an argument that if you arm more police then you arm more criminals.

Also guns will defo make them more unapproachable.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:46 - Jun 5 with 2789 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:43 - Jun 5 by vapour_trail

I've not followed the thread, but if there weren't armed bobby kicking around LB station on a Saturday night, I'm genuinely surprised. They're normally ever present at mainline stations.

It's a fair point and 8 minutes if fast but we have seen an officer killed and on injured critically in two recent attacks. I'd like to see the met armed.
The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:49 - Jun 5 with 2776 viewsmutters

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:46 - Jun 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It's a fair point and 8 minutes if fast but we have seen an officer killed and on injured critically in two recent attacks. I'd like to see the met armed.

The whole Met? Whatabout the rest of the country?

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:51 - Jun 5 with 2761 viewsvapour_trail

The hero London officer who is in a critical condition..... on 21:46 - Jun 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Mate of mine was a finance director at the met until very recently.

They've had the pips squeezed out of them. Literally. There isn't money there to arm up the met with all the training and safeguarding that would be required. Even if that is what is the solution.

As with all areas of public sector, the government have taken it apart.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024