Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those voting Corbyn 19:51 - Jun 7 with 13445 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Do you not care about his IRA sympathizing? Genuine question....
For those voting Corbyn on 20:21 - Jun 7 with 3148 viewsRyorry

For those voting Corbyn on 20:19 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

See above

I already have thanks.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

For those voting Corbyn on 20:22 - Jun 7 with 3150 viewsLeoMuff

For those voting Corbyn on 20:18 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Weird fact of the day - people can change as they get older.

Yes , there's an irony there that 40 years ago Corbin may or may not had some sympathy with the IRA, while we export billions in arms to the Saudis and Qatar

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

For those voting Corbyn on 20:24 - Jun 7 with 3134 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

For those voting Corbyn on 20:22 - Jun 7 by LeoMuff

Yes , there's an irony there that 40 years ago Corbin may or may not had some sympathy with the IRA, while we export billions in arms to the Saudis and Qatar

You can't even spell his name let alone engage in intelligent political debate.

Even today he doesn't condemn the Irish terrorists that killed British people on our soil but he's got your vote for PM has he?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 20:25]
For those voting Corbyn on 20:30 - Jun 7 with 3106 viewsLeoMuff

For those voting Corbyn on 20:24 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Even today he doesn't condemn the Irish terrorists that killed British people on our soil but he's got your vote for PM has he?

Apologies your American highness, I will aim to improve my spelling.

I shouldn't vote for him on this reason alone your saying ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

on 20:32 - Jun 7 with 3096 views_

For those voting Corbyn on 20:21 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Why doesn't he Condemn them today then?

For those voting Corbyn on 20:32 - Jun 7 with 3094 viewsunbelievablue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:21 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Why doesn't he Condemn them today then?

Here is my view on Corbyn and the IRA, as detatched as possible from any other issue in this election.

His sympathy with the Irish Republican cause at a macro level is not something I particularly care about or which to comment upon. I did not live through the worst of it, let alone amongst it, and it is not a period of history which I have studied in any great detail.

However, his appearance at events and rallies with known Republican militants at a time when bombs were falling in Britain is lamentable and I do not condone it nor wish it swept under the rug. Do I have concerns over those associations in the current landscape? To some extent, but not nearly enough to worry me in 2017.

His condemnation of the bombings themselves is, in my opinion, unequivocal.

On balance, judging as I have the issues, policies, personalities, and local considerations, his record in this area is nowhere near deplorable enough for me to flat out refuse to vote Labour tomorrow.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

For those voting Corbyn on 20:36 - Jun 7 with 3069 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:18 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Weird fact of the day - people can change as they get older.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

For those voting Corbyn on 20:38 - Jun 7 with 3054 viewsfactual_blue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:24 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I think pointing out that plenty of other politicians have supported murderers and the perpetrators of terror.

And how about seeing The Troubles in a bit of context, eh? Britain's treatment of the Irish was appalling for centuries, and there are at least three Bloody Sundays that I can think of where the Irish and their supporters were at the rough end - or the barrel end - of the British Army and/or Police.

Whilst two wrongs don't make a right, context does help us to take a more measured view, and guard against trotting out trite headlines from the alarmist press.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

For those voting Corbyn on 20:40 - Jun 7 with 3059 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

For those voting Corbyn on 20:32 - Jun 7 by unbelievablue

Here is my view on Corbyn and the IRA, as detatched as possible from any other issue in this election.

His sympathy with the Irish Republican cause at a macro level is not something I particularly care about or which to comment upon. I did not live through the worst of it, let alone amongst it, and it is not a period of history which I have studied in any great detail.

However, his appearance at events and rallies with known Republican militants at a time when bombs were falling in Britain is lamentable and I do not condone it nor wish it swept under the rug. Do I have concerns over those associations in the current landscape? To some extent, but not nearly enough to worry me in 2017.

On balance, judging as I have the issues, policies, personalities, and local considerations, his record in this area is nowhere near deplorable enough for me to flat out refuse to vote Labour tomorrow.

I stopped short.
For those voting Corbyn on 20:41 - Jun 7 with 3057 viewsClapham_Junction

For those voting Corbyn on 20:12 - Jun 7 by clive_baker

I wasn't commenting on that, I was commenting on the fact you hadn't answered his question.

But personally I'm uneasy with a chap that regarded Hamas and Hazbollah as 'friends'. Questionable judge of character. Each to their own.

I lived in Israel for several years during a very turbulent period of regular bombings and had the misfortune to witness a suicide bombing first hand. However, I have no problem with his meeting with Hamas and Hezbollah. The only way to solve the problem is talking - if there was a military solution Israel would have achieved it years ago. Someone has to be brave and take the lead in talking to these people, even if they are very unpleasant and even if it makes the people that do it unpopular.

Corbyn reminds me of Uri Avnery, an Israeli politician who met the PLO during the Lebanon War in 1982 when general opinion towards the PLO was similar to that towards Hamas today (he was even disinherited by his mother for the meeting). However, Israelis gradually came round to the idea that the PLO could be talked to, which was how they eventually ended up recognising Israel's right to exist and the subsequent Oslo Agreements were arrived at.

Even if Avnery was not involved in any of the peace deals, he perhaps helped contributed to normalising the idea of talking to the enemy in the public's mind.
For those voting Corbyn on 20:43 - Jun 7 with 3038 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:32 - Jun 7 by unbelievablue

The question I would ask you is would you be bothered if a minor back bench MP knowingly shared a platform with an IS terrorist whilst he was on the run from the security services after murdering a British policeman?

And if this minor back bench MP became leader of the Labour party in 35 years time would you think he was a fit and proper person to be British Prime Minister?

Iron Lion Zion

For those voting Corbyn on 20:48 - Jun 7 with 3009 viewsunbelievablue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:40 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I stopped short.

Glad I put it near the end then.

We differ then in that I believe what he's said, and you don't.

For those voting Corbyn on 20:53 - Jun 7 with 2994 viewsunbelievablue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:43 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

The question I would ask you is would you be bothered if a minor back bench MP knowingly shared a platform with an IS terrorist whilst he was on the run from the security services after murdering a British policeman?

And if this minor back bench MP became leader of the Labour party in 35 years time would you think he was a fit and proper person to be British Prime Minister?

I get your point entirely, and my answer would be something along the lines of: I honestly don't know. I know you half-expect me to say "it's different", but I think it's a fair comparison, though obviously I didn't experience any of the Troubles to validate it.

I would point out though that I've not actually said at any point that I endorse him as a fit and proper person to be British Prime Minister. I'm not sure, to be honest, whether he is or he isn't.

n.b. my Labour vote tomorrow is predicated on both local and national issues, and somewhat tactical. I'm not sure about Corbyn, and having a local candidate who resigned from his shadow cabinet and refuses to openly endorse him as leader, helped me decide. And, as I previously posted, I'd point out again that I've spoken to three of the 5 candidates personally.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 20:54]

For those voting Corbyn on 20:56 - Jun 7 with 2976 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those voting Corbyn on 20:53 - Jun 7 by unbelievablue

I get your point entirely, and my answer would be something along the lines of: I honestly don't know. I know you half-expect me to say "it's different", but I think it's a fair comparison, though obviously I didn't experience any of the Troubles to validate it.

I would point out though that I've not actually said at any point that I endorse him as a fit and proper person to be British Prime Minister. I'm not sure, to be honest, whether he is or he isn't.

n.b. my Labour vote tomorrow is predicated on both local and national issues, and somewhat tactical. I'm not sure about Corbyn, and having a local candidate who resigned from his shadow cabinet and refuses to openly endorse him as leader, helped me decide. And, as I previously posted, I'd point out again that I've spoken to three of the 5 candidates personally.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 20:54]

Fair comment. As I have said before, I am old enough to remember the troubles. Unfortunately this doesn't cut through to most people under the age of 40.

Iron Lion Zion

For those voting Corbyn on 20:57 - Jun 7 with 2977 viewsHARRY10

For those voting Corbyn on 20:11 - Jun 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

He was political activist for them, nicked at a demonstration in the 1980s. Still can't bring himself to condemn them. Shame on those that vote for him.

That is a lie.

Stop regugitating stuff that you hardly understand from rags like the Daily Hate Mail who, rather that expound on the wonderful Tory policies, have 13 pages of hate filled misinformation

To over excite fools like you.
For those voting Corbyn on 21:17 - Jun 7 with 2941 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For those voting Corbyn on 20:43 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

What proportion of your time here has been spent on this and how much telling us of the wonderful Tory policies would you imagine ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

For those voting Corbyn on 21:20 - Jun 7 with 2929 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those voting Corbyn on 21:17 - Jun 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

What proportion of your time here has been spent on this and how much telling us of the wonderful Tory policies would you imagine ?

I have spent zero hours telling people how wonderful the Tory policies are because most of the manifesto is Ed Milband's cast offs. The Tories haven't offered up a single reason why anyone should vote for them.

That doesn't make Corbyn any less of an apologist for the IRA and it is something I feel strongly about.

Iron Lion Zion

For those voting Corbyn on 21:20 - Jun 7 with 2931 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For those voting Corbyn on 20:56 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Fair comment. As I have said before, I am old enough to remember the troubles. Unfortunately this doesn't cut through to most people under the age of 40.

Probably lucky for you that you're not a few centuries old....ah Cromwell now those were the days !

For those voting Corbyn on 21:21 - Jun 7 with 2927 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For those voting Corbyn on 21:20 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

I have spent zero hours telling people how wonderful the Tory policies are because most of the manifesto is Ed Milband's cast offs. The Tories haven't offered up a single reason why anyone should vote for them.

That doesn't make Corbyn any less of an apologist for the IRA and it is something I feel strongly about.

So why are you voting for them?

For those voting Corbyn on 21:24 - Jun 7 with 2915 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those voting Corbyn on 21:21 - Jun 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

So why are you voting for them?

Because the alternative would put us back to living in caves.

Iron Lion Zion

For those voting Corbyn on 21:26 - Jun 7 with 2913 viewsunbelievablue

For those voting Corbyn on 21:24 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Was gonna make a joke along the lines of 'are IS standing then?' but it'd be a bit of an own goal eh.

For those voting Corbyn on 21:31 - Jun 7 with 2903 viewsm14_blue

If this Labour was a competent, centrist party led by Yvette Cooper, without any of the baggage that JC brings with him, would you have been tempted to vote against May's tories?
For those voting Corbyn on 21:32 - Jun 7 with 2899 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I think you have been misinformed!

For those voting Corbyn on 21:32 - Jun 7 with 2896 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those voting Corbyn on 21:31 - Jun 7 by m14_blue

If this Labour was a competent, centrist party led by Yvette Cooper, without any of the baggage that JC brings with him, would you have been tempted to vote against May's tories?

I'd be interested in a new centrist party if they would lose the fixation of the EU.

Alternatively, please get a safe Westminster seat Ruth Davidson and stand against May.

Iron Lion Zion

For those voting Corbyn on 21:35 - Jun 7 with 2889 viewsm14_blue

For those voting Corbyn on 21:32 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

I'd be interested in a new centrist party if they would lose the fixation of the EU.

Alternatively, please get a safe Westminster seat Ruth Davidson and stand against May.

A centrist party led by Ruth Davidson?

I could be tempted...let's get Sadiq Khan involved too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024