Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec 19:04 - Jun 11 with 8986 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's our environment stuffed then

Lots of people will now be waiting fpr whatever half-baked, madcap ideas he's going to come up with.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:25 - Jun 12 with 3950 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:49 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

They said freedom of movement will end.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/24/labour-vows-to-rip-up-and-rethi

It's the same cake and eat it that Bros is proposing.

They're a bit daft then. I must have been muddling them up with the Lib Dems, who have pledged to keep us in the single market. I thought Labour said they would too, but on checking their manifesto they want "strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union". I'm not sure how you can retain the benefits of either, which rely on multilateral cooperation, without actually being part of both.

Everyone's chasing votes, I wish they'd stick to what they believe in. Lib Dems are closest, but even they should have been bold and positioned themselves as the anti-Brexit party. They can't have done any worse than they did.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:45 - Jun 12 with 3936 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:25 - Jun 12 by Swansea_Blue

They're a bit daft then. I must have been muddling them up with the Lib Dems, who have pledged to keep us in the single market. I thought Labour said they would too, but on checking their manifesto they want "strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union". I'm not sure how you can retain the benefits of either, which rely on multilateral cooperation, without actually being part of both.

Everyone's chasing votes, I wish they'd stick to what they believe in. Lib Dems are closest, but even they should have been bold and positioned themselves as the anti-Brexit party. They can't have done any worse than they did.

There is no difference between the Tory and Labour position on Bexit other than the intention to walk away with no deal rather than accept a bad deal.

Bot parties want tarif free access to the single market whilst regaining control of our borders.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:51 - Jun 12 with 3930 viewshype313

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:45 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

There is no difference between the Tory and Labour position on Bexit other than the intention to walk away with no deal rather than accept a bad deal.

Bot parties want tarif free access to the single market whilst regaining control of our borders.

Never going to happen though is it? If the EU cave in and give us tariff free access whilst regaining border control will have a domino affect as Sweden, Denmark, Holland and all others will demand the same.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:53 - Jun 12 with 3927 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:51 - Jun 12 by hype313

Never going to happen though is it? If the EU cave in and give us tariff free access whilst regaining border control will have a domino affect as Sweden, Denmark, Holland and all others will demand the same.

That's my reading of it. Both in cloud cuckoo land. But if the Tories can pull it off then fair enough.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:56 - Jun 12 with 3922 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:51 - Jun 12 by hype313

We are a far bigger trading partner for the EU than the countries you have listed. As ab independent country we are the EU's largest export market. Even ahead of the USA. So I think we have a good hand to play.

Of course there will be a deal. It will involve compromise from both sides and will more than likely include an element of freedom of movement with some restrictions.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 10:14 - Jun 12 with 3912 viewsBlueNomad

I'm sure he will listen to the EXPERTS on the environment
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 10:39 - Jun 12 with 3893 viewsfactual_blue

A stupid man from the Stupid Party.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 10:53 - Jun 12 with 3888 viewsmanchego

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:56 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

We are a far bigger trading partner for the EU than the countries you have listed. As ab independent country we are the EU's largest export market. Even ahead of the USA. So I think we have a good hand to play.

Of course there will be a deal. It will involve compromise from both sides and will more than likely include an element of freedom of movement with some restrictions.

They cannot and won't let anyone leave the EU and be seen to be much better off .
I think we're over a barrel and they're opening the ky jelly.
Do you remember farages behaviour in Brussels ? They won't forget that and they can't have any more leavers.
Login to get fewer ads

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 11:26 - Jun 12 with 3872 viewsArcher4721

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:20 - Jun 11 by vapour_trail

The "reshuffle" has been hilarious. She doesn't have the power to move anyone on bar Liz Truss. How bad must she be!

I see David Lidington (whoever he is) is the new Justice secretary.

He's voted against gay rights since the 90's. Opposes laws on human rights. Ardently pro Fox Hunting...Should fit in well with the new regime then.
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 14:37 - Jun 12 with 3847 viewsRyorry

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:38 - Jun 11 by SE1blue

Teacher's love him. He was so good for the profession and forward thinking.

Oh wait no, he was an utter moron who drove thousands of teachers into other professions.

I'm sure he'll do a great job.

And was the one who wanted to remove Environmental Studies from the national curriculum ..

Also in this morning's news - half our children have no idea where cheese, fish fingers or vegetables come from.

Meanwhile, in the USA - http://www.factcheck.org/2016/12/facts-trumps-epa-nominee/

What is it with politicians putting our planet's environment bottom of their list, when it's so fundamental to everything else and should be top? Oh, right - they're greedy, selfish, stupid and short-sighted

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 14:40 - Jun 12 with 3843 viewstcblue

Imagine having to brief Gove on anything remotely complex. I wonder if he just starts blowing raspberries on you like Pob when he gets bored of all the expert
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 15:22 - Jun 12 with 3827 viewsNo9

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:56 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

We are not a large market for the EU
They send us about 11% of their exports some countries sned us almost nothing
Germany sends a lot of stuff to the UK but that only accounts for about 2.5% of German exports.

The real issue is how many car parts do we import?
How many chopper & aircraft parts do we import?
How much steel for nuclear subs comes from France ?

That is apart from liquid fuels from Europort and electricity from France & the Netherlands
& now you need Shell for your gas

NOT clever
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 16:21 - Jun 12 with 3810 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 15:22 - Jun 12 by No9

We are not a large market for the EU
They send us about 11% of their exports some countries sned us almost nothing
Germany sends a lot of stuff to the UK but that only accounts for about 2.5% of German exports.

The real issue is how many car parts do we import?
How many chopper & aircraft parts do we import?
How much steel for nuclear subs comes from France ?

That is apart from liquid fuels from Europort and electricity from France & the Netherlands
& now you need Shell for your gas

NOT clever

Yes we are.

https://fullfact.org/europe/where-does-eu-export/

[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 16:22]

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 16:35 - Jun 12 with 3797 viewsClapham_Junction

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 16:21 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

Yes we are.

The ONS have more recent figures (2015) which put the figure at 7%:

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/trading-places-uk-goods-trade-with-eu-partners/
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 16:53 - Jun 12 with 3784 viewsArcher4721

So why not allow people from the Labour Party have a say on the final deal then?
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 17:19 - Jun 12 with 3770 viewseireblue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 16:21 - Jun 12 by GlasgowBlue

Yes we are.

I always worry that the use of that stat, could lead some people down the path of dangerous thinking or at least lead to not understanding what leverage actually exists.

There is more internal trade between an EU country and the EU, than that country will export outside the EU. Around 65/35 split, as an average.
So at best that is 16% of the 35%.

For any individual EU country, their most important trading partner is the EU.

Since the UK will be in effect dealing with the self-interest of of 27 countries, via the EU, that stat has no relevance to an individual EU country. And less relevance for an EU focused on preserving the internal market

Of course the trade between an individual EU country and the UK will be the factor that they may be thinking about.

That would be a more interesting set of stats to consider in terms of impact of loss of the UK as a member of the internal market, for different member states.

E.g.

Inside the bigger EU market, the UK is not the most important trading partner for anyone apart from Ireland.
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 23:03 - Jun 12 with 3731 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 17:19 - Jun 12 by eireblue

I always worry that the use of that stat, could lead some people down the path of dangerous thinking or at least lead to not understanding what leverage actually exists.

There is more internal trade between an EU country and the EU, than that country will export outside the EU. Around 65/35 split, as an average.
So at best that is 16% of the 35%.

For any individual EU country, their most important trading partner is the EU.

Since the UK will be in effect dealing with the self-interest of of 27 countries, via the EU, that stat has no relevance to an individual EU country. And less relevance for an EU focused on preserving the internal market

Of course the trade between an individual EU country and the UK will be the factor that they may be thinking about.

That would be a more interesting set of stats to consider in terms of impact of loss of the UK as a member of the internal market, for different member states.

E.g.

Inside the bigger EU market, the UK is not the most important trading partner for anyone apart from Ireland.

Indeed. And as we're negotiating with the other states via the EU's negotiator, each state is going to be concerned with their relationship with us.

But we won't even get as far as discussing our (limited) importance to individual states. Free movement is the cornerstone of EU policy. We'll have to accept it to get benefits in line with single market membership. The EU have been very explicit about this. And it's bleedingly obvious to understand why.

Happy to be proven wrong though, in the same way I'm happy to be proven wrong that we won't win the Champions League next season.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 03:03 - Jun 13 with 3714 viewsHARRY10

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:52 - Jun 11 by vapour_trail

Not sure. He can never lead the party now. I think hes enjoying his new gig.

I wouldn't think it was a gig, he has been there long enough already invalidate that
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 03:06 - Jun 13 with 3713 viewsHARRY10

or neither want it, but are pretending to want it for political reasons

I expect the brexit nonsense to againbbe put back, fudged and finally be alloweed to whither away - although they might have to end it by putting the stake through it's heart by withdrawing article 50
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024